PDA

View Full Version : Eamon Dunphy Comments

MervilleUnited
17/12/2006, 9:58 PM
Hello All,
Heard Second hand today that the afore mentioned made some comment about youth Coaches last night on RTE2?

And it was not complementary!

Anybody out there with the info on this?

Something along the lines that no footballers will emerge from Europe in the next 20 years, as Kids are not out dodging cars etc playing Street Football.

NY Hoop
18/12/2006, 12:03 PM
He's a bigoted nut. Not to be taken seriously. He had a bad time in this league yonks ago and 30 years later is still slagging it. Sad pathetic individual.

The street football excuse is rubbish. I see kids playing ball on the street in all weathers.

KOH

anto1208
18/12/2006, 4:26 PM
thats because all the kids now live in the suburbs and play on the green area's .

NY Hoop
18/12/2006, 4:36 PM
They do? Must have been a mirage the kids on the street in the city centre that are seen knocking a ball around.

KOH

Thunderblaster
18/12/2006, 6:56 PM
Do you honestly think we should all sit up and take notice of Ugly Grumpy? Me not!!:p :D

pete
18/12/2006, 7:18 PM
Best to ignore the Grinch. He complains about too much coaching as often as he complains about the lack of coaching in Ireland.

He'd be dangerous if he actually did something instead of carrying around a 30 year old chip of his shoulder. Punditry is so much easier. He has made his living from irish football but what has he ever put back? Maybe some junior clubs could invite him to show them how its done?

Raheny Red
23/12/2006, 5:46 PM
I hate the chap but there is only one thing which I agree with him on, and that's the stupidity of parents screaming their heads off at little Johny to win games rather than concentrating on developing him into a player!

CollegeTillIDie
23/12/2006, 8:14 PM
I hate the chap but there is only one thing which I agree with him on, and that's the stupidity of parents screaming their heads off at little Johny to win games rather than concentrating on developing him into a player!

Well that aspect of what he says is correct. I heard of one schoolboy player who banned his own parents from attending matches because their behaviour on the sideline was a source of embarrassment to him.

The point about street football dying out in a lot of areas is valid. If you learn to control a plastic football on concrete, using a synthetic fibre football on real grass becomes a piece of ****. Signs on it that two of the most lauded players cross channel, Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard are two of the few remaining street footballers to graduate to the professional ranks.

The biggest problem of course with schoolboy coaching in this country is that they play 11-a-side at too early a stage in life. Therefore the skills coaching that the likes of the Italians, Germans, Spanish and Dutch get by playing 7-a-side till around 14 years of age,stands to them and the lack of skill in adult players in the Anglo-Hibernian-Caledonian football tradition , which sadly we have become part of. Our players are as fit and strong as the continentals but are left way behind when it comes to controlling the ball and retention of possession in general.

Another problem is that the focus is all wrong on coaching at that level because of the 11-a-side competition being introduced so young. At the younger ages players should be the focus. Turning a below average player into a half decent player and developing good players into great players should be the main thrust of coaching. And those count as successes every bit as much as silverware in a trophy cabinet/

Eamon Dunphy has a point on these issues but mostly he's a pillock in his attitude to the game here.