PDA

View Full Version : Keegan and Molloy on verge of moving to Motherwell

DmanDmythDledge
16/12/2006, 2:59 PM
http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1742925

Scottish side snap up Pat's pair
Saturday December 16th 2006

ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC duo Trevor Molloy and Paul Keegan are believed to be on the verge of landing 18-month contracts with Scottish Premier League side Motherwell.

The experienced front men were on trial with the SPL side this week after their domestic season ended with a 4-3 defeat to Derry City in the FAI Cup Final.

Keegan is expected to move to Scotland anyway to live with his partner, but a move at this stage of Molloy's career would be a surprise, despite a resurgence of form this season upon his return to St Pat's.

Motherwell boss Maurice Malpas has raided the eircom League in recent weeks with Cork City defender Danny Murphy to join the club in January.

Shelbourne midfielder Richie Baker also spent time there, but they were unable to come to an agreement.

However, Malpas is looking to tie up negotiations with Keegan (33) and Molloy (29) after confirming both trialists had impressed.

"They have done well and we will be sitting down with their agents in the next few days," said Malpas.

"One of them is not far away and we hope to have that sorted out over the weekend, and the other may take a wee while longer but we will hope to have both signed next week."

Daniel McDonnell

Raheny Red
16/12/2006, 6:38 PM
Very, very surprised that they signed Keegan, however I think Molloy might to a decent job for them.

Dodge
16/12/2006, 7:56 PM
He hasn't signed either of them (yet). Keegan's a smashing player and could easily doa job at that level

Sheridan
16/12/2006, 8:07 PM
Those are two great signings for Motherwell, if this is 1999.

pete
16/12/2006, 9:24 PM
Keegan is well past it & would not handle extra physical defenders in the SPL. Molloy might do a job but probably also shows the level the SPL at.

Dodge
16/12/2006, 11:38 PM
Keegan was the best player in this league last year at holding the ball up. If he signs it'll be until the end of the season I'd guess. He definitely won't be in Ireland next year anyway

dcfcsteve
17/12/2006, 2:45 AM
Keegan was the best player in this league last year at holding the ball up.

My arse he was....

Are they off on frees, or what's the sums involved ?

Motherwell signing a 33yr old player from Ireland ? Says a lot about the SPL..... :eek:

Dodge
17/12/2006, 3:29 AM
Name one better steve, seriously.

Frees. He lives in Scotland as it is

Soper
17/12/2006, 3:35 AM
Surely Derry fans would say Beckett was better?I can't comment myself however.

OneRedArmy
17/12/2006, 11:38 AM
Name one better steve, seriously.

Frees. He lives in Scotland as it isBeckett is in a different class.

Lets face it, he isn't in the players team of the season for his goalscoring.

HulaHoop
17/12/2006, 1:57 PM
Molloy is too much of a p*ss head to make it in the SPL. I doubt he even knows the meaning of the word professional.

adamcarr
17/12/2006, 9:45 PM
Neale Fenn is the best player in the league for holding the ball up.

Sheridan
17/12/2006, 10:08 PM
This seems to be a misconception about what actually constitutes "holding the ball up." Beckett and Fenn are both great players with their backs to goal and on the turn (miles better than Keegan), but for actually killing balls delivered at any height and speed first time and withstanding physical pressure from multiple defenders before laying it off, Gary O'Neill is unsurpassed.

Molloy might belatedly grow up and develop into half the player he promised to be if deprived of the company of his scumbag mates in Scotland.

DmanDmythDledge
17/12/2006, 10:34 PM
This seems to be a misconception about what actually constitutes "holding the ball up." Beckett and Fenn are both great players with their backs to goal and on the turn (miles better than Keegan), but for actually killing balls delivered at any height and speed first time and withstanding physical pressure from multiple defenders before laying it off, Gary O'Neill is unsurpassed.
I have to disagree there. Conor Sammon is the best in the league at that.

BohsFans
17/12/2006, 11:05 PM
I have to disagree there. Conor Sammon is the best in the league at that.

:D lol

Good wind up!

Raheny Red
17/12/2006, 11:58 PM
Anyone remember the interview with Foran and Molloy when they were at Carlisle together. Molloy said they would score 50 between them :eek:

:p :D

Sheridan
18/12/2006, 12:04 AM
That must have been some night out.

Macy
18/12/2006, 9:24 AM
He definitely won't be in Ireland next year anyway
iirc his missus is from Scotland. I think we were going to let him go over if he got a contract as one his inlaws was sick at the time. Regardless, I'd say he'd be good value for Motherwell, if they want to settle in Scotland.

Dodge
18/12/2006, 9:36 AM
He's been living there the last year and commuting over.

Raheny Red
18/12/2006, 9:41 AM
He's been living there the last year and commuting over.

And supposedly opening up a Dominos Pizza :D

Dodge
18/12/2006, 9:45 AM
yeah one of them

JW.
19/12/2006, 12:48 PM
Keegan's a very intelligent player but I'm amazed they're signing him at his age. He was totally out of it in the Cup final and has basically no pace anymore. I've always been a Molloy fan but I'm not sure he'd succeed either.

Ceirtlis
19/12/2006, 5:31 PM
It was in one of the sunday papers i cant remember which that signing Trevor Molloy was going to pave the way for Richie Foran to move to Southend in the championship. Motherwell are garbage this year but i am still shocked that they are considering signing these two lads whose best days im afraid are well behind them.