PDA

View Full Version : A Meeting Now

Pages : [1] 2

Monkfish
16/12/2006, 10:22 AM
Lads, wake the **** up and get a meeting organised now! iv proposed this before all this and got little support, are we just going to adopt a 'wait and see' attitude and just come on this site and moan?. Now is the time for action, in 10 years from now when your talking about the time when we had senior soccer in the city someone may ask '..and what did you do about it? ' what will you say? give a date that suits and lets do it, have it anywhere! and if you dont want to come **** you!

jebus
16/12/2006, 1:58 PM
I can't make next monday, tuesday or wednesday but anytime after that and I'd be there

gael353
16/12/2006, 3:21 PM
I think the supporters club needs a meeting to see where they stand and elect new committe etc that would be the meeting id be hoing to see happen soon. Adds going in papers this week i belive for new club from limerick region

Kerry Blue
16/12/2006, 5:10 PM
Adds going in papers this week i belive for new club from limerick region

That's correct. Delaney said that on the radio this morning. He said that the FAI wanted a club from Limerick to be in the eL next season or the year after at the latest. He said that they would be placing adverts in the local press next week inviting consortia to apply to join the league. He also said that if a consortium was to take over Limerick FC from it's current owners then they could re-apply for a license. He also said that solicitors for the FAI and Joe Young were at an advanced stage in finalising a long term lease on Hogan Park. He said that whoever (if anyone) would succeed in obtaining a license for a senior team from Limerick to play in the league next year then they would use Hogan Park as their home. He said that the FAI have already had an architect draw up plans for the ground's development and work could begin once the lease was finalised. Which I presume from what he said would be early in the new year.

Monkfish
16/12/2006, 5:38 PM
How about around christmas week? 22nd/23rd....29th/30th?. Lets just start with a date that suits the majority for now.....the clock is ticking!

Kerry Blue
17/12/2006, 5:36 PM
I would say that the 29th/30th might be better. People are less busy around then and most are off work.

Monkfish
19/12/2006, 10:35 PM
I take it by the lack of responce that nearly everyone is happy to do **** all other than **** and moan on this site, ****ing disgrace!

LFC in Exile
20/12/2006, 7:48 AM
I don't think asking for a date on here is the way to go. Just pick a date and time , announce it here, on teh radio and put it in the paper. If you try to arrnage a date that accommodates everyone inertia sets in.

Just saying "we need to have a meeting" won't get a meeting.

I am out of teh country between the 23rd and 4th so this thing's timing is awful for me - but I am willing to row in 100% behind a revitalised SC and get involved as much as possible. I can get in touch with Monkfish or anyone organising this meeting with ideas before hand if I can contribute. :ball:

thelimerick
20/12/2006, 9:09 AM
Lets just say the 30th for now and see how that suits. Lets say 6pm, we can choose a venue based on the numbers but as 4tothefloor says it doesn't have to be anywhere mad, a pub will even do the trick, in the city centre of course.
So how does the 30th at 6pm in the city sound?

gombean
20/12/2006, 1:25 PM
I think there should be some sort of initial meeting before the end of this week. Because the FAI dealine is 2 Jan -- and offices will be closed 30, 31 Dec and 1 Jan -- if a meeting on 30 Dec is to make any concrete decisions, then there will be some groundwork to be done between now and then (nothing major, but facts and figures will have to be gathered and collated).

See other thread, "LFC Gone ?"

LFC in Exile
20/12/2006, 1:58 PM
Suggest a date, time, venue. If people want to go they will. :ball:

4tothefloor
20/12/2006, 6:23 PM
Lets just say the 30th for now and see how that suits. Lets say 6pm, we can choose a venue based on the numbers but as 4tothefloor says it doesn't have to be anywhere mad, a pub will even do the trick, in the city centre of course.
So how does the 30th at 6pm in the city sound?

Just a few points.... 6pm is too tight for those of us who have to work a normal day. I don't finish 'till 6 and with traffic there isn't a hope I'd make it. 7.30 or 8pm would be more suitable. You have to take traffic into account, which would be mad at that time of the evening with the sales etc. Secondly, Saturday night the 30th is too close to NYE, people may be planning to head out of the city for it and may be doing so yet myself. I'd go for Friday 29th at 7.30, pick a cosy pub that would be suitable for a chat and a debate.....just my opinion :ball:

Monkfish
20/12/2006, 6:47 PM
Id go with everyting on the above post, anyone else?

eamo1
21/12/2006, 1:22 AM
ars"" way too long.i suggested a few weeks ago that ye get a meeting sorted and dont "wait and see".theres still time though,get this meeting on and draft a letter at it stating yer position.maybe all of ye should have a rough draft done out before ye go to the meeting and work with those.also at the meeting nominate 2/3 to either A;go on local radio stating yer position and hopes etc or B;those 2/3 to get a meeting with a rep of the FAI also stating yer position to them.there just some ideas.at least ye can say ye didnt just do nothing when 10 years from now someone asks ye "whatever happened to limerick fc????".
Good luck with it lads,i really hope ye succeed and theres a genuine club in limerick next season.

thelimerick
21/12/2006, 7:25 AM
Just a few points.... 6pm is too tight for those of us who have to work a normal day. I don't finish 'till 6 and with traffic there isn't a hope I'd make it. 7.30 or 8pm would be more suitable. You have to take traffic into account, which would be mad at that time of the evening with the sales etc. Secondly, Saturday night the 30th is too close to NYE, people may be planning to head out of the city for it and may be doing so yet myself. I'd go for Friday 29th at 7.30, pick a cosy pub that would be suitable for a chat and a debate.....just my opinion :ball:

Yeah, that sounds grand to me ... now its just a matter of where

4tothefloor
21/12/2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah, that sounds grand to me ... now its just a matter of where
Do any of ye know any quiet local watering holes in the city, ie not one of the cheesy super-pubs. I'm afraid I don't as I only use the city for weekends out....Did someone mention before that The Corner Flag was an old LFC drinking spot? Anyone know it?

4tothefloor
21/12/2006, 12:37 PM
ars"" way too long.i suggested a few weeks ago that ye get a meeting sorted and dont "wait and see".theres still time though,get this meeting on and draft a letter at it stating yer position.maybe all of ye should have a rough draft done out before ye go to the meeting and work with those.also at the meeting nominate 2/3 to either A;go on local radio stating yer position and hopes etc or B;those 2/3 to get a meeting with a rep of the FAI also stating yer position to them.there just some ideas.at least ye can say ye didnt just do nothing when 10 years from now someone asks ye "whatever happened to limerick fc????".
Good luck with it lads,i really hope ye succeed and theres a genuine club in limerick next season.
And we haven't had our thumbs up our ass, there's plenty of stuff going on behind the scenes that are beyond our control. The Supporters Club may have a say in any future club, but I seriously doubt that we would own/run it.

gombean
21/12/2006, 1:02 PM
The Supporters Club may have a say in any future club, but I seriously doubt that we would own/run it.

Unless JP McManus or Dolores MacNamara takes over the club (they have enough money to take big financial hits to buy the players and coach to guarantee success), any other business interest coming in would be just the same as Drew & Co, or O'Sullivan et al before that.

A supporters-controlled club could overcome a number of obstacles that the other options might throw up.

An open and democratic club should be just that: open and democratic. Issues of mistrust/suspicion should not be able to get in the way of the development of the club.

Business investors would be looking for a return within a short number of years. If this was not forthcoming investment would dry up very quickly and we would find ourselves in exactly the same position as we are in now.
I would hope that true supporters who are directly involved in the running of the club would appreciate the nature of football: success is not inevitable, and is certainly never imminent; real growth and development takes a little time, but patience and care usually bring reward (as long as you're not too naive to realise when you're being ****ed over).

So, who's afraid to take responsibility for the destiny of what most contributors here refer to as "our" club?
It'll only be OUR club when we take control of it. (The problem is, we'd only have ourselves to bitch about then!!)

gspain
21/12/2006, 1:08 PM
Investing in football rarely makes business sense (i know JP made money out of Man Utd) and wouldn't in this case either. However there is huge local prestige to be gained. Furthermore a group of business savvy directors could make it work

gombean
21/12/2006, 1:38 PM
There might even be more prestige in donating large sums to a good cause: in this case, helping the genuine football lovers of Limerick organise to have a team play in the League of Ireland. Certainly, a supporters trust would be eagerly seeking such financial support, and inviting such people to get involved in the trust.
Such a scenario would, I believe, be a win-win situation: financial support for the club, and plenty of kudos for the donor (without the suspicion of ulterior motives).

Monkfish
21/12/2006, 6:52 PM
FRIDAY 29TH DEC @ 7.30, CORNER FLAG, HENRY STREET,
any other suggestions? Flannerys ( Wickham Street) perhaps?

abbeyvale
21/12/2006, 10:35 PM
any other suggestions? Flannerys ( Wickham Street) perhaps?

Lads
Can ye confirm if this meeting is going ahead tomorrow evening in the Corner Flag @ 7.30pm as there are 4/5 of us waiting on this decision and we'll be waiting in the Corner Flag.

If Not then please let us know ASAP.

Monkfish
22/12/2006, 12:37 AM
the 29th is next week!

jebus
22/12/2006, 12:14 PM
The 29th at the Corner Flag suits me anyway so I'm in

4tothefloor
22/12/2006, 1:07 PM
The 29th at the Corner Flag suits me anyway so I'm in
Me too

LFC in Exile
22/12/2006, 2:51 PM
Unfortunately I will not be able to make it - but Jebus and i are always of one mind anyway ;)

I am willing to help the SC get back off the ground in any way I can and should be able to get more involved in 2007. All the best. :ball:

Kerry Blue
22/12/2006, 6:18 PM

That suits me too, so I should be able to make it.

thelimerick
22/12/2006, 8:11 PM
That suits me too!
See you all so, until then have a great christmas one and all

Needtoknow
23/12/2006, 8:48 PM
I can't make it, 2 of us are working. Will ye publish the minutes of the meeting. Thanks.

gael353
24/12/2006, 6:27 PM
I too shall be there but i think putting the happenings at the meeting public or on foot might be a bad thing as we all see the biggotry and begrudgery that goes on here from certain quarters. If you know someone who is going to it pm them but only if ye know each other as posting to anon persons aint a good thing.

Monkfish
28/12/2006, 10:26 AM
lim til i die says hes getting the first round in :eek:

inthestand99
29/12/2006, 11:11 AM
Seems there is a lot of talk going on lads but not a lot of action, dont get me wrong, Limerick needs an EL club. I remember not too long ago we in GUFC were on our arse and in all but name folded. The will was there and look what has happened. I heard a trust mentioned, business people in the city etc. That is what made thing happen in Galway, the will to go out and do it. Come on lads and lassies of the Treaty, stop giving out and channel your energies into getting The Lims back on the road.

jebus
29/12/2006, 12:55 PM
Seems there is a lot of talk going on lads but not a lot of action, dont get me wrong, Limerick needs an EL club. I remember not too long ago we in GUFC were on our arse and in all but name folded. The will was there and look what has happened. I heard a trust mentioned, business people in the city etc. That is what made thing happen in Galway, the will to go out and do it. Come on lads and lassies of the Treaty, stop giving out and channel your energies into getting The Lims back on the road.

That said, I'd rather the club dies than turn into the scourge of competitive sports :) :rolleyes: Sometimes I even shock myself with what I think/say!

Conor H
29/12/2006, 1:24 PM
That said, I'd rather the club dies than turn into the scourge of competitive sports :) :rolleyes: Sometimes I even shock myself with what I think/say!

Wow you really are incredible Jebus.

Best of luck to the proper supporters of LFC in saving yere club.

jebus
29/12/2006, 1:28 PM
Wow you really are incredible Jebus.

Best of luck to the proper supporters of LFC in saving yere club.

Thanks Conor thanks. Get along now before I 'do a Galway' and report you for looking at our forum :D

sadloserkid
29/12/2006, 4:23 PM
Working tonight (next door to the Corner Flag ironically enough) but I hope the meeting draws a reasonable crowd and something comes of it.

And Conor, if you can't post here without looking for aggro from other posters kindly don't bother.

Conor H
29/12/2006, 7:13 PM
Working tonight (next door to the Corner Flag ironically enough) but I hope the meeting draws a reasonable crowd and something comes of it.

And Conor, if you can't post here without looking for aggro from other posters kindly don't bother.

Wasn't looking for aggro.Just found it a bit sad that despite the best intentions from GUFC supporters towards LFC Jebus persisted with the digs at UTD.

As i said already best of luck.

jebus
30/12/2006, 1:50 PM
Wasn't looking for aggro.Just found it a bit sad that despite the best intentions from GUFC supporters towards LFC Jebus persisted with the digs at UTD.

I think I've made it clear enough in the past what I think of Galway United and their supporters Conor, especially in the FAI Premiership Thread, so why you claim to be shocked or saddened by me not wanting Limerick to go down the Galway 'business before football' route is baffling to say the least

LFC in Exile
31/12/2006, 2:58 AM
I'd much rather be in Galways position than Limerick's right now. It isn't business before football - its sustainable football IMO. The two are not mutually exclusive - in fact if you run a football club you need a business head. :ball:

Needtoknow
01/01/2007, 5:10 PM
Any news from meeting on Friday night, is there going to be another meeting going forward, need to keep supporters who couldn't make it in the loop.
Thanks

gael353
01/01/2007, 6:21 PM
Following on Fridays positive meeting, in which a small number as expected attended. A supporters club meeting will be called in the next 2/3weeks to elect a new committee, new fanzine committee, finance committee and a general information/discussion about the future? of our club. Membership will be taken at the door and non members will not be permitted to voice their opinions, in fact they just cant come in. Membership will be as follows. €20 adult membership, €10 student/OAP with card and a family of two adults and two or more named under 12s will be €25.

the only 1
01/01/2007, 6:49 PM
why not try and get pike rovers field surely they will help ye out again at least limerick will have a field

gael353
01/01/2007, 9:38 PM
why not try and get pike rovers field surely they will help ye out again at least limerick will have a field

Sharing a ground or being facilitated by a junior club is not a good idea. Who benifets? rent? shop? bar? other sales (lotto) all go to the junior club while the senior club gets to use the pitch and thats it. You would be unable to pull down grants and would probably fail your licance before you've even applied. While certain clubs like pike have been very good to limerick, this would not be a way forward IMO

greenandwhite
02/01/2007, 6:21 PM
Sharing a ground or being facilitated by a junior club is not a good idea. Who benifets? rent? shop? bar? other sales (lotto) all go to the junior club while the senior club gets to use the pitch and thats it. You would be unable to pull down grants and would probably fail your licance before you've even applied. While certain clubs like pike have been very good to limerick, this would not be a way forward IMO

Hear that the FAI have 3 groups interested in looking for a licence for Limerick, where are these people thinking of playing then?

Kerry Blue
02/01/2007, 7:20 PM
Hear that the FAI have 3 groups interested in looking for a licence for Limerick, where are these people thinking of playing then?

The FAI (well John Delaney) have said that they expect to sort out the final details of arranging the lease on Hogan Park in the next few weeks and that any group, consortium etc. from Limerick who attain a license will use Hogan Park as their home with the FAI developing it into a regional sports centre.

gael353
02/01/2007, 7:29 PM
The FAI (well John Delaney) have said that they expect to sort out the final details of arranging the lease on Hogan Park in the next few weeks and that any group, consortium etc. from Limerick who attain a license will use Hogan Park as their home with the FAI developing it into a regional sports centre.

its funny but the previous licence holders failed on the state of hogan park yet the FAI is saying that hogan park is aok to use for the new licence holder. I dont think hogan park will be available as the fai are no where near getting that lease and i can see "us" playing somewhere else next season if we are playing at all. Fingers crossed

Needtoknow
03/01/2007, 3:02 PM
Are any of these consortiums looking to meet with the supporters?

Monkfish
03/01/2007, 3:19 PM
Are any of these consortiums looking to meet with the supporters?

Not that we know of (yet), but its important to let everyone know we havent gone away to die under a rock like so many people wished we would!

DmanDmythDledge
03/01/2007, 5:40 PM
its funny but the previous licence holders failed on the state of hogan park yet the FAI is saying that hogan park is aok to use for the new licence holder. I dont think hogan park will be available as the fai are no where near getting that lease and i can see "us" playing somewhere else next season if we are playing at all. Fingers crossed
There was more to it than the stadium.

Kerry Blue
03/01/2007, 6:10 PM

I thought that too but according to John Delaney Limerick FC didn't fail to get a license because of the state of Hogan Park. He said this was a 'smoke screen' to cover over the financial reasons behind the club's failure in getting the license. He said this before Christmas so like yourself I can't see things been sorted out with the priest and the ground any time soon. And now that the FAI have said that the deadline for license applications from interested parties is January 15th, it's difficult to see any venue that would meet the necessary requirements for the license. Would Jackman Park meet them?