PDA

View Full Version : Slán to the Shed

SÓC
12/11/2002, 12:34 PM
On Redfm today the main sports news was that the Shed will defo be no longer within the space of three years, they made a passing reference to UEFA rules and the club Licencing system. Old news I suppose but at least a date has been set for it.

Hurry up and knock it down:)

eoinh
12/11/2002, 1:28 PM
off-limits for euro games alright but not for league games i would have thought?

Éanna
12/11/2002, 1:56 PM
was bound to happen sooner or later. I just hope they do a good job on it. They should put in different seating to the rest of the ground like the do in germany and spain which makes it easier for people to stand- it adds to the athmosphere

pete
12/11/2002, 1:59 PM
I think Uefa licencing rules coming in look for a minimum capacity. IMO its a stupid rule as no point having 10k capacity when clubs in some countires can't get 1000 fans.

While the st annes end is fine i really is meerly a terrace with seats.

I think they need to take their time with the shed so they get the maximum use of the space available - offices, toilets etc... underneath.

I wonder will they level the existing offices at the same time?

niamh
12/11/2002, 2:43 PM
while seating is there for safety reasons, atmospheres die as a result. The Shed part of the Cross, it will be sad to see it go.

A face
13/11/2002, 12:28 AM
I have to disagree with you Niamh, (For the record, I am always in the shed).

I think that the shed can’t hold back the development of the ground and I think it is unfair for people to say that it will kill the atmosphere in the ground. I dont think it will, we have been getting great crowds of late, but we should be getting three times that. If the club is going to advance at all, we cant let the dimise of the shed hold it back. The people that sing will still be there singing and the people that dont want to sing will not sing and still be there too, as is now. I can’t see that having seats will change it that dramatically.

What we should look at is increasing the crowd and expect the crowd to be there, not saying that the crowd will be driven away without a terrace. Anyone that says, "If they knock the shed ... I’ll never come back" is talking crap, and in my opinion they would not have been around that much longer anyway and we are actually better off without them.

I'd rather have 10 real fans that make any effort to get to all the home games that 40 sunshine fans who we'll see for two games each.

mahony
13/11/2002, 9:06 AM
Have to agree with you bud.
The shed isnt going anywhere its just getting bigger and more comfortable and with it getting bigger in size means that it becomes more vocal.......who sayes u have to sit down. long gone are the terrace days in english football and still they can provide an vocal support. Are we so primative that we need to stand to sing. If so then dont sit,stand up and roar ur heads off.

WE ARE THE CC WE ARE THE CCFC.

pete
13/11/2002, 10:35 AM
The New Shed (with seats) can still be designated a "vocal fans" section where standing allowed.

I'd certainly prefer seats all the way across the shed side of the ground than the current shed that only goers half way across that goal end.

btw if they do a proper job of it i'd say its even worth while closing down that end for a season to complete the work.

p.s. with Mr . Murphy continuing as manager i don't think we'll have to worry about european competition rules for a while anyway.

Macy
13/11/2002, 12:19 PM
The people that sing will still be there singing and the people that dont want to sing will not sing and still be there too, as is now. I can’t see that having seats will change it that dramatically.

The problem with all seaters, is that the vocal fans are all split up, unless there is a designated section of unreserved seats.....

Dunno if it is seating or stewarding or the move away from the single male fan image of football, but lots of the noise has gone over there and changing the Shed might have the same effect too.

Combination of all the above, but mainly the pricing and the fact that the singers are split up in seats..... I'm actually against all seater stadiums, but if Cork were being proactive and willing to lead the way in irish football they could look at some of the safe standing that is found in germany and the likes.....

Safestanding Campaign (http://www.safestanding.com/safe/index.php)

IMUSA Report (http://www.imusa.org/campaigns/safestanding/safestanding01.shtml)

eoinh
13/11/2002, 4:14 PM
First of all i dont go to the shed and after years of standing i prefer to sit (but thats my preference). Im for parts being kept standing like the shed. one problem with having seats and allowing standing is that there will be arguments when people get up to stand especially from those behind them who prefer to sit. (the german idea as stated above is good)

shedite
14/11/2002, 10:58 AM
I was for the shed gettiing knocked - it's an eye-sore. But now that it's actually a reality, I'm gonna be sorry to see it go. There definately won't bethe same atmosphere. All the mad jumping when we score will end and the "Let's go fcuking mental" chant too.

Éanna
14/11/2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by shedite
I was for the shed gettiing knocked - it's an eye-sore. But now that it's actually a reality, I'm gonna be sorry to see it go. There definately won't bethe same atmosphere. All the mad jumping when we score will end and the "Let's go fcuking mental" chant too.
same here. Still, it´ll really make a great ground when that end is sorted out. Still a good athmosphere at Anfield even though the Kop is seated, isn´t there?

Macy
14/11/2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
same here. Still, it´ll really make a great ground when that end is sorted out. Still a good athmosphere at Anfield even though the Kop is seated, isn´t there?

No ground in England has the same atmos since they went all seater...... Some, like for once, United have been proactive and have established a singing section to try and help re-create the atmosphere (well after years of requests from the fans, and the setting up of the Vocal Fans Campaign there) - so I'd get the requests in early for this at Cork....

Shed End John
14/11/2002, 4:14 PM
Originally posted by niamh
while seating is there for safety reasons, atmospheres die as a result. The Shed part of the Cross, it will be sad to see it go.

Couldn't agree more. The Shed is the heart and soul of the Cross on matchdays. The atmosphere created by us Shedenders at some of the games this season has been nothing short of fantastic. Besides, no matter how many times I do it, SITTING at a match just doesn't feel right. There's just something special about standing at games and REALLY being able to throw yourself into the spirit of the occasion.
Finally, yes it will be very sad to see the Shed as it is go.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh anam an Shed.

Murphy Amach Anois!!! (Murphy Out Now!!!)

ian
15/11/2002, 7:53 AM
The shed was a good place to be but up to now the shed is after dieing a small bit over the last 2 years.I think that the place could be better siting down. Dont for get that we can stand up if we want to but not for the europen games if and when we do get in.

Éanna
15/11/2002, 2:31 PM
Originally posted by eian
The shed was a good place to be but up to now the shed is after dieing a small bit over the last 2 years.I think that the place could be better siting down. Dont for get that we can stand up if we want to but not for the europen games if and when we do get in.
yeah, athmosphere ain´t what it used to be. Maybe a new stand down that end will rejuvenate the athmosphere- it´ll always be the Shed End, no matter what they build there! :)

Colm
15/11/2002, 3:16 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

it´ll always be the Shed End, no matter what they build there! :) Yeah, I think thats the key. It will still be the Shed End but it will just be bigger, better and more in keeping with the rest of the stadium. We can still stand if we want.

crc
15/11/2002, 3:54 PM
The name The Shed should stay, but it shouldn't have to look like the delapidated Cow variety for ever!
The German option of seats that allow you to stand is a good one. The Shed could still be the standing, singing section of the Cross.

I was at the Parc des Princes last night to watch a fairly uneventful PSG UEFA cup game. The main stands were only 50% full but the stands behind the goals were completely full with die-hard fans. They all stood for the whole match, sang, lit-flares and all that - made a great atmosphere.

I agree with having individual numbered places for safety reasons, but there's no reason why City couldn't follow the Paris example and have a section where in effect everyone stands up. Everybody knew that if you want to sit down for the game you went to a different part of the ground.

pete
15/11/2002, 4:29 PM
Saying you can't have atmosphere without seats is the same as people saying they can't create atmosphere without flares.

The atmosphere in the shed is already dying (maybe the new kids not like the veterans) & its still a terrace.

Éanna
15/11/2002, 4:54 PM
Originally posted by crc
The name The Shed should stay, but it shouldn't have to look like the delapidated Cow variety for ever!
The German option of seats that allow you to stand is a good one. The Shed could still be the standing, singing section of the Cross.

I agree with having individual numbered places for safety reasons, but there's no reason why City couldn't follow the Paris example and have a section where in effect everyone stands up. Everybody knew that if you want to sit down for the game you went to a different part of the ground.
Thats the key to it. Those seats they have in germany aren´t made to sit on, but they count as seats! We can still keep the athmosphere- but standing at the st annes end is a pain in the arse, the seats are fierce awkward to stand between