PDA

View Full Version : Promotion/Relegation next year?

Metrostars
14/12/2006, 6:40 PM
Whats the story on Promotion/Relegation next year?

I read that 3 teams will be relegated from the Premier Division and 1 team promoted from the First Division. So why are there 12 teams in the Premier Division for 1 year if thats the case?

Trainee
14/12/2006, 6:48 PM
thats in 2008 season with a 10 team premier in 2009

next year its 1 up & 1 down and a playoff

Mr A
14/12/2006, 7:07 PM
Nest year's arrangements:

12 team premier, 10 team 1st division
Season starts w/e 11th March
33 games (play each other 3 times)
1 promoted + 1 relegated
+ Playoff winners

Playoff details
2nd in 1st div v 3rd in 1st div - 1 off game
Winner v 11th in Prem - Home / Away
Winner gets into prem

Metrostars
14/12/2006, 8:01 PM
Why are they going back to a 10 team premier division in 2009?

Sheridan
14/12/2006, 8:11 PM
They're hoping that by then, the composition of the Premier Division will have settled into their preferred configuration (i.e., 10 of next season's Lucky 12, with the other two yo-yoing intermittently), such that it will be almost impossible for any other club to disrupt it.

CollegeTillIDie
14/12/2006, 9:38 PM
thats in 2008 season with a 10 team premier in 2009

next year its 1 up & 1 down and a playoff

Taking this at face value we are forced to look into the future and see the vista of the 2009 season. And that implies playing the same shagging teams 4 TIMES in the League alone ;factor in another 1 at least for the Bloody League Cup and you will be sick of the sight of some teams by season's end :(

DmanDmythDledge
14/12/2006, 9:50 PM
Taking this at face value we are forced to look into the future and see the vista of the 2009 season. And that implies playing the same shagging teams 4 TIMES in the League alone ;factor in another 1 at least for the Bloody League Cup and you will be sick of the sight of some teams by season's end :(
Have to agree with that. I don't think a 10 team division is good for this reason, but unfortunately with clubs not being up to standard and a dearth of clubs being able/willing to make the step up to Eircom League football we will be stuck in this situation for a while yet.

Billy Lord
14/12/2006, 10:35 PM
They're hoping that by then, the composition of the Premier Division will have settled into their preferred configuration (i.e., 10 of next season's Lucky 12, with the other two yo-yoing intermittently), such that it will be almost impossible for any other club to disrupt it.

Well, anything's better than a Premier Division club combusting mid-season. By even the most elemental standards, that's serious disruption. Congratulations for being a supporter of the most irrelevant EL club ever. And I say that with respect to Rocky, who performed a superfluous task superbly until time and the taxman proved otherwise.
Nothing in the new formation prevents a well-run, progressive club from gaining access to the top tier. Heaven help us, we may at last be taking a step forward and making progress.
Until we take ourselves seriously, how can others feel likewise?

sniffa
14/12/2006, 10:44 PM
No promotion and no relegation next season. Thats because I can see Dundalk f*cking up the whole league with lawsuits etc.
A serious case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

citybone
17/01/2007, 3:07 PM
Why are they going back to a 10 team premier division in 2009?
it will help the premier division be stronger so that we will have better teams in europe and help the bigger clubs turn/stay professional, and at the moment with there only being 20/21 eircom league teams its more like two leagues of 10 or at least 10/11

tho that second part could change if wexford and limerick 37 get their licence's.

NY Hoop
17/01/2007, 3:20 PM

10 team league is more competitive plus it will be the end of the farce that is playing each other 3 times. Far too much is made of playing each other just one more time.

IMO 2 divisions of ten would be the best way forward.

KOH