PDA

View Full Version : FAI support Rovers for Tallaght

Pages : [1] 2

WeAreRovers
14/12/2006, 4:01 PM
At long bleedin' last. Bring it on bigots...

KOH

www.shamrockrovers.ie

FAI support Rovers for Tallaght
14 Dec 2006. The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) has today fully supported Shamrock Rovers’ position in the on-going saga over the stalled Tallaght Stadium project.

The Association has also pledged financial assistance for the Hoops’ High Court battle involving GAA club Thomas Davis, who are seeking a Judicial Review of the South Dublin County Councils decision last February to proceed with the completion of the Stadium in Tallaght as a football only facility. Today the High Court determined that the hearing of the case would take place on March 16th next, delaying the project by at least a further three months. This will mean that the Stadium construction will have been stalled by this legal case for at least 13 months.

“We want to see Shamrock Rovers playing in the Tallaght Community Stadium – and as soon as possible. We have been working hard behind the scenes with the various stakeholders over the past two years to see Tallaght completed for soccer in the area,” says FAI Chief Executive, John Delaney.

“This week, the Board of the Association pledged significant funds to the club in order to aid them in the most practical manner as they continue to pursue the goal of completion of Tallaght. These funds will be offset against the legal fees Rovers face as the High Court case continues. Obviously, we wish the club every success in this matter.”

Shamrock Rovers’ Chairman, Jonathan Roche, welcomed the FAI’s commitment to the Tallaght Stadium project and its funding of the club’s legal fees.

“To have such full and public support of the FAI behind us means that Irish football is united on this issue,” says Roche. “And that support is most welcome. It’s quite clear that there is a concerted effort to prolong the process as much as possible in order to prevent our senior team joining the rest of the club in Tallaght. But it won’t succeed.”

BohDiddley
14/12/2006, 4:15 PM
Why is a statement from the FAI chief executive not on the FAI website?

strangeirish
14/12/2006, 4:18 PM
Why is a statement from the FAI chief executive not on the FAI website?
Website is out of petrol:D

'Bout time they took a stand on something.

Dodge
14/12/2006, 4:32 PM
Sure he only ound out who you were when you got promoted...

monkey magic
14/12/2006, 5:28 PM
bout time indeed! fair dues to fai on this one, instead of just posturing on the issue, there pledging financial support, which show there not gonna be bullied by the gaa on this one...

this gets me thinking.. with all the announcements comeing out of the fai in the last week or so, including the statement on the dundalk saga, albeit a bit late as it was, could it be that the fai are finally getting their own house in order, and being serious about domestic soccer?? granted its early days, but theres been a lot of positive noises outta merrion square over the past few weeks, ragarding player contracts, the managers forum, increased prize funds and the appointment of promotions officers, could it be that we have in fact turned a new leaf??? dont get me wrong theres a hell of a long way to go, and a few positive noises dosent make up for a half century of neglect... but all the same i cant help feeling a bit more positive about the future of irish football than i have in a long long time.

gufcfan
14/12/2006, 5:44 PM
FAI support Rovers for Tallaght
14 Dec 2006. The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) has today fully supported Shamrock Rovers’ position in the on-going saga over the stalled Tallaght Stadium project.

The Association has also pledged financial assistance for the Hoops’ High Court battle involving GAA club Thomas Davis, who are seeking a Judicial Review of the South Dublin County Councils decision last February to proceed with the completion of the Stadium in Tallaght as a football only facility. Today the High Court determined that the hearing of the case would take place on March 16th next, delaying the project by at least a further three months. This will mean that the Stadium construction will have been stalled by this legal case for at least 13 months.

“We want to see Shamrock Rovers playing in the Tallaght Community Stadium – and as soon as possible. We have been working hard behind the scenes with the various stakeholders over the past two years to see Tallaght completed for soccer in the area,” says FAI Chief Executive, John Delaney.

“This week, the Board of the Association pledged significant funds to the club in order to aid them in the most practical manner as they continue to pursue the goal of completion of Tallaght. These funds will be offset against the legal fees Rovers face as the High Court case continues. Obviously, we wish the club every success in this matter.”

Shamrock Rovers’ Chairman, Jonathan Roche, welcomed the FAI’s commitment to the Tallaght Stadium project and its funding of the club’s legal fees.

“To have such full and public support of the FAI behind us means that Irish football is united on this issue,” says Roche. “And that support is most welcome. It’s quite clear that there is a concerted effort to prolong the process as much as possible in order to prevent our senior team joining the rest of the club in Tallaght. But it won’t succeed.”

This situation makes me so angry.
Can't play soccer on their pitches, then when somebody builds one they want in on it.

Been following this one from the start.

If i met any of the towats i'd probably feel like shaking them or something.

I mite hate yee rovers scum but i hate the gaa scum more!!!

Don't give in.

Tell them to go play with themselves...

Not in court though... that would be a bad idea... trust me!

GuisaSaigon
14/12/2006, 5:46 PM
bout time indeed! fair dues to fai on this one, instead of just posturing on the issue, there pledging financial support, which show there not gonna be bullied by the gaa on this one...

this gets me thinking.. with all the announcements comeing out of the fai in the last week or so, including the statement on the dundalk saga, albeit a bit late as it was, could it be that the fai are finally getting their own house in order, and being serious about domestic soccer?? granted its early days, but theres been a lot of positive noises outta merrion square over the past few weeks, ragarding player contracts, the managers forum, increased prize funds and the appointment of promotions officers, could it be that we have in fact turned a new leaf??? dont get me wrong theres a hell of a long way to go, and a few positive noises dosent make up for a half century of neglect... but all the same i cant help feeling a bit more positive about the future of irish football than i have in a long long time.

Maybe lunatics with cans of petrol do some good after all :D

dublin15bohs
14/12/2006, 5:47 PM
bout time

Drumcondra Red
14/12/2006, 5:54 PM
Should the FAI not help all clubs equally??? Refusing one club a licence while backing another in this manner just seems a bit hypocrytical in my eyes!

Philly
14/12/2006, 5:54 PM
The FAI only got control of the league. It would have been ultravires for them to go commenting about the case before that. Good to see them backing Rovers.

Dodge
14/12/2006, 6:01 PM
The FAI only got control of the league. It would have been ultravires for them to go commenting about the case before that. Good to see them backing Rovers.

Are you for real? They control football in Ireland and absolutely had the authority to comment. In fact they did, just in wishy washy Delaney ********...

WeAreRovers
14/12/2006, 6:12 PM
Should the FAI not help all clubs equally??? Refusing one club a licence while backing another in this manner just seems a bit hypocrytical in my eyes!

Should that not read - Refusing one club a licence while granting Shels one is a bit hypocritical in my eyes?

KOH

Billy Lord
14/12/2006, 8:39 PM
Drumcondra Red: the FAI are backing an SDCC plan to build a community football stadium in Tallaght that will offer opportunities for football on all levels within the game and throughout the country. Problem?
I pity Limerick, but the simple fact is that their club is currently beyond redemption. Their fans should group together, demand that Danny Drew surrender his ownership of the club to them, and allow the general body of fans to sort out that mess. Those guys are all that the club has going for it, and I can only hope that they have the wherewithal and balls to organise themselves.

DmanDmythDledge
14/12/2006, 9:02 PM
Fair play to the FAI on this. About time they stood up and did something about the situation.

Ye I was thinking the same myself. Hopefully they will bring Ollie down a peg or two as well.:)

Rovers have a ground to play in. May not be theirs but they have one. Kilkenny have offered Limerick to ground share with them, which would sort out part of the problem if accepted.

dcfcsteve
14/12/2006, 11:11 PM

Was thinking the same meself MM !

Fair play to the FAI on this issue, and on their cast-iron response on the Dundalk affair. Long may their new found competence and interest in the domestic game continue....

dcfcsteve
14/12/2006, 11:14 PM

No way Philly. The FAI's stated raison d'etre is the development of football in Ireland at all levels. How could taking an interest and active involvement in an issue like this therefore be anythign close to 'ultra vires' ?? :confused:

When was the last time a sporting organisation fell foul of the principle anyway ? Antrim GAA's tacit endorsement and physical facilitation of the recent Hunger Strike commemorations was clearly Ultra Vires, and they're part of a publically-aided body...!

Calcio Jack
15/12/2006, 7:34 AM
After all the fines we had to pay this season in reality any financial backing we get from the FAI is just a return of our own money..... being serious this is an excellent move by the FAI as it will make Thomas Davis realise that it's not just Rovers they are taking on but the Fai

Terry
15/12/2006, 8:37 AM
Why dont they show the same sort of backing to Limerick ?

bigmac
15/12/2006, 8:47 AM

It's like a big happy family. You can argue, fight, bitch about each other and call each other any number of names under the sun. But if somebody comes in from outside and starts abusing a family member, then it's circle the wagons time!

green-blood
15/12/2006, 8:50 AM
well Rovers previous board never got FAI support - and rightly so they were interested in land, profit and housing development. I wonder why they wont back the current Limerick board

Drumcondra Red
15/12/2006, 9:09 AM
Should that not read - Refusing one club a licence while granting Shels one is a bit hypocritical in my eyes?

KOH

No it shouldn't, why???

Drumcondra Red: the FAI are backing an SDCC plan to build a community football stadium in Tallaght that will offer opportunities for football on all levels within the game and throughout the country. Problem?
I pity Limerick, but the simple fact is that their club is currently beyond redemption. Their fans should group together, demand that Danny Drew surrender his ownership of the club to them, and allow the general body of fans to sort out that mess. Those guys are all that the club has going for it, and I can only hope that they have the wherewithal and balls to organise themselves.

No problem, simple question, thanks for your answer, you Shamrock Rovers fans don't have to take every comment as an attack against your club, I want to see Rovers in Tallaght as much as the next man you know...

NY Hoop
15/12/2006, 10:23 AM
It's on www.fai.ie now although: Section: First Division Clubs:rolleyes:

Got to be one of the worst websites for a football association in Europe.

KOH

DvB
15/12/2006, 11:07 AM
No problem, simple question, thanks for your answer, you Shamrock Rovers fans don't have to take every comment as an attack against your club, I want to see Rovers in Tallaght as much as the next man you know...

Fair comment! Especially as it'll be Shels or Pats sharing it with us at some stage!;)

Koh

Sonic
15/12/2006, 11:12 AM
If longford town begin to fold would the fai be so willing to fork out the cash to save us me thinks no. Dublin cnuts looking out for yourselves. Why not give the same sort of cash injection to poor limerick who dont even have a licence never mind a ground.

NY Hoop
15/12/2006, 11:17 AM
If longford town begin to fold would the fai be so willing to fork out the cash to save us me thinks no. Dublin cnuts looking out for yourselves. Why not give the same sort of cash injection to poor limerick who dont even have a licence never mind a ground.

Stupid comment. Grow up.

KOH

ciaraa
15/12/2006, 11:21 AM

Wouldnt quite put it like that but sonic is right ya know. Limerick seem to be in much more serious predicament then sham rvs are. Plus there is already 5 dublin clubs in the premier anyway whereas there is only 1 for miles around in the mid-west.

Jaime
15/12/2006, 11:29 AM

The FAI are paying legal bills for Shamrock Rovers, possibly / probably allowing Shamrock Rovers to put resources that would have been spent on legal fees, into paying their full-time playing staff. Runs completely contrary to any kind of best practice anyone can think of. :mad:

dcfcsteve
15/12/2006, 12:14 PM
It's like a big happy family. You can argue, fight, bitch about each other and call each other any number of names under the sun. But if somebody comes in from outside and starts abusing a family member, then it's circle the wagons time!

To be fair, if it was a Limerick family they'd have already started shooting..... :D

dcfcsteve
15/12/2006, 12:17 PM

Absolutely no comparison so a ridiculous statement.

Rovers aren't folding. They are the victim of the maliciousness and, frankly, jealousy/fear of another sporting code that is doing their best to halt their progress. If Longford were facing the same circumstances - or any other club for that matter - I'd like to think that the FAI would step in.

The Limerick situation is not comparable either. There is clearly internal politics etc involved with that one - it's not a straight forward case of a football club vs a GAA club.

wws
15/12/2006, 12:22 PM
Absolutely no comparison so a ridiculous statement.

Rovers aren't folding. They are the victim of the maliciousness and, frankly, jealousy/fear of another sporting code that is doing their best to halt their progress. If Longford were facing the same circumstances - or any other club for that matter - I'd like to think that the FAI would step in.

The Limerick situation is not comparable either. There is clearly internal politics etc involved with that one - it's not a straight forward case of a football club vs a GAA club.

theres no getting away from it - its a cack handed typical ad hoc FAI response which will open a can of worms - ill advised and ill thought out, same ol fai so

dcfcsteve
15/12/2006, 12:29 PM
theres no getting away from it - its a cack handed typical ad hoc FAI response which will open a can of worms - ill advised and ill thought out, same ol fai so

How many previous example of other sporting bodies/codes deliberately attempting to sabotage the progress of one of our senior soccer clubs do we have......?

Redzer
15/12/2006, 12:29 PM

It's one thing taking on the GA, but now you want them to take on the church as well:rolleyes:

monkey magic
15/12/2006, 12:30 PM

absolute rubbish. theres no comparison. the fai are supporting a fully paid up liscenced member of the league in rovers who are doing things by the book in a fight against an outside body, in this case the gaa. the limerick matter is an internal one. the fact remains that something is rotten at the core of limerick and i think even their own fans would tell you that there nowhere near a liscence. we've been harping on for years about the enforcement of liscencing and when its done theres people on here giving out about it. i wish limerick the very best of luck and hope to god they make it through this, but not at any cost, and if that means a change at the top then so be it:ball:

paudie
15/12/2006, 12:36 PM
The FAI are paying legal bills for Shamrock Rovers, possibly / probably allowing Shamrock Rovers to put resources that would have been spent on legal fees, into paying their full-time playing staff. Runs completely contrary to any kind of best practice anyone can think of. :mad:

Any legal costs incurred by Rovers will only be to defend a case to which they are a party. Rovers didn't start the proceedings, TD did.

This is a signal of support by the FAI to Rovers. If Rovers/SDCC win the case they will probably be awarded their costs anyway so the fAI won't be out a cent.

the Minister for Sport has stated that the stadium will only be funded as soccer only so the FAI are hardly going out on a limb by supporting Rovers.

No either coincidence that the FAI statements has come after all the details of the rent of Croke park are sorted.

green-blood
15/12/2006, 12:52 PM
if you tolerate this your (club) children will be next

manic da hoop
15/12/2006, 1:31 PM
It is also worth remembering that this, strictly speaking, isnot our stadium. It is a community stadium, owned, built and operated by the council, and funded by the Dept of Sport...with Rovers as anchor tenants, and the possability of another league club joining us down the line. The south of the city is seriously lacking in any kind of suitable venue for football, so this is as much a community investment in the game as it is in simply providing a home for Rovers. The FAI has an obligation to defend and support such projests even if that means providing direct assisstance to a senior club in the process.

Calcio Jack
15/12/2006, 1:32 PM
Any legal costs incurred by Rovers will only be to defend a case to which they are a party. Rovers didn't start the proceedings, TD did.

This is a signal of support by the FAI to Rovers. If Rovers/SDCC win the case they will probably be awarded their costs anyway so the fAI won't be out a cent.

the Minister for Sport has stated that the stadium will only be funded as soccer only so the FAI are hardly going out on a limb by supporting Rovers.

No either coincidence that the FAI statements has come after all the details of the rent of Croke park are sorted.

I believe there is more to it than you say. If TD win the case then the FAI I believe will be willing to support Rovers and others in demanding a judicial review to allow soccer to be played every time the GAA anywhere (a) Rebuild an existing stadium and/or (B) build a new stadium which involves free land given to them by a county council and /or financial grants from any Govt department.

Whilst I don't think TD have any real chance of being suceesful, if they are then then the real irony is that they will be opening up a much more damaging sceanario for the GAA and their plans to revamp/build new grounds using public land and public monies.... talk about winning the battle and losing the war !!

NY Hoop
15/12/2006, 1:36 PM

The FAI have promised to pay 80% of our legal bills. We dont have any full time playing staff.

TD are vermin.

KOH

Terry
15/12/2006, 1:39 PM
It's one thing taking on the GA, but now you want them to take on the church as well:rolleyes:

stupid comment and what s with the rolling eyes? Do you know that there is more than one ground in Limerick !

dcfcsteve
15/12/2006, 1:46 PM

Whhhaaaaaaaattttttttt ????

That is a ridiculous comment Jaime. Ignoring the factual inaccuracies at his base, I think you're clearly letting your anti-Rovers outlook completely overwhlem any rational judgement here.

A ridiculous statement to make.

wws
15/12/2006, 1:51 PM
Jaime is 100% spot on (for once)
it was a stupid thing to do by the FAI
i thought the league was going to be past that stage

*by the way the rights and wrongs of the actual legal issue are irrelevant to the fact that that fai are acting in a foolish manner here

arbitrary funding of clubs like this will end in the usual mess

dcfcsteve
15/12/2006, 1:59 PM
Jaime is 100% spot on (for once)
it was a stupid thing to do by the FAI
i thought the league was going to be past that stage

*by the way the rights and wrongs of the actual legal issue are irrelevant to the fact that that fai are acting in a foolish manner here

arbitrary funding of clubs like this will end in the usual mess

Why ?????? Stop just stating your point and start justifying it !!

This is a one-off situation. It therefore requires a one-off response. I would sincerely hope and expect the FAI to come to the aid of any other club that had found itself faced with such a similar and unique situation.

Are you joining Jaime and effectivelty accusing Rovers of planning to hoodwink the FAI and use the legal money to fund players ? The two of you should be ashamed of yourselves for making such rash and thoroughly ill-founded allegations. The fact that Rovers don't even have any full-time staff to pay shows how laughably ludicous that conspiracy theory is anyway !

wws
15/12/2006, 2:02 PM
they are financially aiding a club (in an uneven manner)
its wrong period
there are plenty of one off situations - thats the point - you dont create trouble for yourself by creating a precedent

and obviously - less legal fees to pay = more to pay on the team

WeAreRovers
15/12/2006, 2:05 PM
Limerick are a mess, when their fans get up off their backsides and get rid of Drew and sort out the club then the FAI will help - don't forget that the FAI offered to buy the lease on behalf of Limerick. It didn't happen but not through the fault of the FAI....

Jaime - Take off your ridiculous red and black goggles for a second. An assualt by the bigots on one club is an assault on us all.

wws - At least Jaime's club will have their own new ground to move into. I assume that your opposition to the FAI's help in this matter means you won't be watching Pats when they are tenants in Tallaght?

KOH

gspain
15/12/2006, 2:08 PM
I think there are 2 different issues here.

1) Yes as a Limerick fan I'd like more support. Whatever the rights and wrongs and popularity of our present chairman in Merrion Square the 3rd city is likely to lose senior football.

2) The FAI are doing the right thing in backing Rovers. Different issue.

dcfcsteve
15/12/2006, 2:13 PM
Whatever the rights and wrongs and popularity of our present chairman in Merrion Square the 3rd city is likely to lose senior football.

Fourth city, in terms of the Eircom league..... :D

Though i obviously agree with your summary.

Vitruvian Man
15/12/2006, 2:22 PM
It's a sad sate of affairs that TD can automatically call on the financial and technical aid of their association without anyone batting an eyelid but when Shamrock Rovers get the same from their governing body it is something unusual to be remarked on.

It is right an proper that the FAI suppport Rovers on this, they should have done it sooner and, if the FAI were doing their job, we wouldn't think it was unusual.

But I would have a question for some people on this board. Are the FAI now BIGOTS:mad: :mad: becuase they are supporting Shamrock Rovers. The GAA are classed as bigots here for supporting "their" club.

I also think Rovers fans are indulging in a bit of wishful thinking if they think a TD victory in this case will open up a can of worms for use of GAA facilities around the country.

Tallaght stadium is 100% public owned and 100% developed with public money. No GAA ground that I know of falls into this catagory. In fact Rovers could have had Tallaght on the same conditions that the GAA hold some of their property (Free Land + grant money to partly fund development) but they f*cked it all away.

If, off the back of a defeat in the Tallaght case, the FAi/soccer clubs launched legal attempts to get into GAA facilities they would be laughed out of court.

But if your delusion keeps you warm at night...

wws
15/12/2006, 2:23 PM
I cant say it any clearer
the fai have the best of intentions but have gone down helping out the wrong way
they would be best served applying pressure where it matters with their new buddies in Croke Park (it doesnt even have to be played out publicly)

giving money to one club in this manner is utterly stupid - I cant believe anyones even arguing this point to be honest

Calcio Jack
15/12/2006, 2:30 PM
It's a sad sate of affairs that TD can automatically call on the financial and technical aid of their association without anyone batting an eyelid but when Shamrock Rovers get the same from their governing body it is something unusual to be remarked on.

It is right an proper that the FAI suppport Rovers on this, they should have done it sooner and, if the FAI were doing their job, we wouldn't think it was unusual.

But I would have a question for some people on this board. Are the FAI now BIGOTS:mad: :mad: becuase they are supporting Shamrock Rovers. The GAA are classed as bigots here for supporting "their" club.

I also think Rovers fans are indulging in a bit of wishful thinking if they think a TD victory in this case will open up a can of worms for use of GAA facilities around the country.

Tallaght stadium is 100% public owned and 100% developed with public money. No GAA ground that I know of falls into this catagory. In fact Rovers could have had Tallaght on the same conditions that the GAA hold some of their property (Free Land + grant money to partly fund development) but they f*cked it all away.

If, off the back of a defeat in the Tallaght case, the FAi/soccer clubs launched legal attempts to get into GAA facilities they would be laughed out of court.

But if your delusion keeps you warm at night...

No the FAI should not now be classed as bigots. The difference here is that our association is coming to our help because we are been 'targeted' by the GAA via TD, and that is why as has already been explained ad nauseum on this and other threads the GAA/TD are deemed to be the bigots ....you no doubt will have your own view.

As for you comment that we are deluded, well gook luck to you and anyone in the GAA that holds that opinion.... I'm more interested in the views that I've received from senior counsel on the matter.... so don't intend debating this one, suffice to say that if circumstances demand then all these matters will be clarified in the Courts.

WeAreRovers
15/12/2006, 2:47 PM
giving money to one club in this manner is utterly stupid - I cant believe anyones even arguing this point to be honest

Given your track record I can only assume you're deliberately misreading this. Tallaght stadium is a municipal 'soccer' facility, owned and (largely) paid for by SDCC. A local sports club are objecting through the courts. SRFC are a notice party to these proceedings (basically on behalf of ourselves, the FAI and the larger football community in Ireland) and the FAI has offered to help with legal fees on that basis.

The FAI, DASG and SDCC are all backing this development on the grounds that it will be shared by 2 eircom League clubs. They are not "giving money to one club". Who do you think is the 2nd club as seen by the above 3 bodies?

Effectively the FAI are helping Pats out here too. On second thoughts, you're right this is a disgrace. :rolleyes:

KOH