PDA

View Full Version : Let's concentrate on winners

SeanDrog
14/12/2006, 7:23 AM
I am bit tired with the extremely sore losers from that little town north of Drogheda getting all the limelight, lets concentrate on a great club like Galway United rightfully getting promoted for all their hard work in recent years in trying to put real strucures etc in place. I think on behalf of all Drogs, when I welcome you guys to the new Premiership and look forward to visiting Terryland next season.

Interesting to see the fulltime move and I wonder how much T. Cousins will bring to the setup from his time with the Drogs fulltime set up. One piece of advise though, don't expect fulltime to bring instant success as it will take a few years to settle down and yield results.

Terry
14/12/2006, 7:36 AM
thanks for the best wishes Sean and the Drogs will be well received on there visit to both Foxes bar for drinks and terryland for the footie.

Our main aim is simple this year, avoid relegation, anything else we will take as a bonus.

SeanDrog
14/12/2006, 7:39 AM
I remember when we went fulltime, we all lost the run of ourselves, expecting to win every match and then getting qquite down when we didn't, the club told us it would take 3-4 years and true to their word it has really clicked in recent months. I think avoiding relegation is the first step as it will then allow you to build.

Where will your fulltime lads train?

Terry
14/12/2006, 7:41 AM
The Drom is the top training facilities apparently in Ireland, thanks to Salthill Devon for leasing it out to us.

Drumcondra Red
14/12/2006, 9:30 AM
Ah yes the aim of all full time professional clubs, avoid relegation, suppose you could maybe aim a bit higher if you were thee on merit and games actually won on the pitch!!!

Looking forward to the away trip though...

mcgonigle
14/12/2006, 9:49 AM
I am bit tired with the extremely sore losers from that little town north of Drogheda getting all the limelight

How did I know even before I opened this thread that it would have a dig at Dundalk, can you not concentrate on something else without mentioning us and you say you want to talk about something different, well dont mention Dundalk then you donkey, your obsession is quite scary

Terry
14/12/2006, 9:51 AM
Ah yes the aim of all full time professional clubs, avoid relegation, suppose you could maybe aim a bit higher if you were thee on merit and games actually won on the pitch!!!

Looking forward to the away trip though...

Show me one club world wide that went up a division and had ambitions of winning the league before survival ! :rolleyes: think before you type !!

Kingdom
14/12/2006, 10:12 AM
I think Gretna did it a few times in a row. Derby and Forest in the seventies made a good fist of it too.

Terry
14/12/2006, 10:14 AM
I think Gretna did it a few times in a row. Derby and Forest in the seventies made a good fist of it too.

but they are not going into the top divisions in there leagues !

Conor H
14/12/2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks Sean.

Can't wait to visit and have all the premier Clubs down here in Galway.
Rest assured all of yee will be welcomed for pre match food,drinks etc in Foxs as organised by GUST.

Also all will be treated impecibly in the ground.......just ask Rovers fans.

I've sympathy for the fans of Dundalk FC,however it's done with now and a case of onwards and upwards for GUFC.

Kingdom
14/12/2006, 10:23 AM

But you didn't ask that! :p

Terry
14/12/2006, 10:24 AM
But you didn't ask that! :p

I did in my head ! :p

Drumcondra Red
14/12/2006, 10:24 AM
Show me one club world wide that went up a division and had ambitions of winning the league before survival ! :rolleyes: think before you type !!

Who said anything about winning the league??? :confused: :rolleyes:

It seems that Galway are in a position to push for mid table if not better as there is a bit of excitement around the place now, that and having gotten into top flight football by finishing 3rd in a lower division!!!

Terry
14/12/2006, 10:25 AM
Who said anything about winning the league??? :confused: :rolleyes:

It seems that Galway are in a position to push for mid table if not better as there is a bit of excitement around the place now, that and having gotten into top flight football by finishing 3rd in a lower division!!!

and isnt finishing mid table avoiding relegation !!!!

Conor H
14/12/2006, 10:27 AM
and isnt finishing mid table avoiding relegation !!!!

Ya never know we might finish higher than Shels!

Buile Shuibhne
14/12/2006, 10:39 AM
On the subject of winners

from fai.ie

........ In addition, Shelbourne and Shamrock Rovers have been announced as the winners of two new awards introduced by eircom and the SWAI to reward clubs for their communication with the media.

Shelbourne's official website [www.shelbournefc.ie ] scooped the award for eircom / SWAI Website of the Year beating off Cork City and Dundalk.

Shamrock Rovers' John Byrne has received the inaugural Press Officer of the Year award ahead of candidates from Galway and Monaghan United.

seand
14/12/2006, 10:59 AM

Actually Forest did win the league the year after being promoted from Div2. The season after that they won the European Cup. The season after that they retained it. So obviously Galway should be aiming to retain the Champions League when the final is played in Lansdowne Road in 2010!

Drumcondra Red
14/12/2006, 11:15 AM
Ya never know we might finish higher than Shels!

I think you might get a bit of a shock next season, its all well and good getting promoted on paper...

jebus
14/12/2006, 11:59 AM
How can a thread titled 'Lets concentrate on WINNERS' be dedicated to Galway United FC? Seriously! :)

wws
14/12/2006, 12:08 PM

tut tut

Saint Pats won the League of Ireland at their first attempt following their elevation from Junior football. Easy Easy

SeanDrog
14/12/2006, 12:21 PM
How did I know even before I opened this thread that it would have a dig at Dundalk, can you not concentrate on something else without mentioning us and you say you want to talk about something different, well dont mention Dundalk then you donkey, your obsession is quite scary

Please please don't turn up at my home and cover it in petrol and threaten to burn it down just cause you disagree with me ... pleaseeeeee (DAa TOWWN way of sortin things hey)

SeanDrog
14/12/2006, 12:27 PM
How can a thread titled 'Lets concentrate on WINNERS' be dedicated to Galway United FC? Seriously! :)

Its really quitre simply:

Galway entered an agreed (note this word as Dundalk fans often omitt it) process along with ALL the other clubs to select teams for next seasons top flight based on pitch performence as well as club infrastructure off field criteria etc.

Overall Galway scored higher than Dundalk and hence they were the winners and Dundalk were the losers.

mcgonigle
14/12/2006, 3:32 PM
Please please don't turn up at my home and cover it in petrol and threaten to burn it down just cause you disagree with me ... pleaseeeeee (DAa TOWWN way of sortin things hey)

Dont worry your house is perfectly safe, your christmas tree on the other hand could be in a spot of bother though :)

Oh and who says I'm from DA TOWN!!!

DaveyCakes
14/12/2006, 4:33 PM

Kaiserslautern: Won Bundesliga 2 in 1996-7, Bundesliga 1 in 1997-8

Jerry The Saint
14/12/2006, 5:39 PM
The important thing to remember is that, unlike most newly promoted clubs, Galway United are teh BESTEST run team in the entire country with a formidable record over the last 4 seasons which earned them their much-deserved place in the top-flight. Anything less than a top-two finish would probably be the biggest failure of Nick Leeson's professional career.

Drumcondra Red
14/12/2006, 5:55 PM
Much deserved??? They didn't finish high enough in the table to be deserved!!! Off the field maybe but on it??? Clearly not!

Magicme
14/12/2006, 6:23 PM
On the subject of winners

from fai.ie

........ In addition, Shelbourne and Shamrock Rovers have been announced as the winners of two new awards introduced by eircom and the SWAI to reward clubs for their communication with the media.

Shelbourne's official website [www.shelbournefc.ie ] scooped the award for eircom / SWAI Website of the Year beating off Cork City and Dundalk.

Shamrock Rovers' John Byrne has received the inaugural Press Officer of the Year award ahead of candidates from Galway and Monaghan United.

Oi rub it in you ould fecker! Calling me a loser are ya! :D

bholg
14/12/2006, 7:23 PM
lets concentrate on a great club like Galway United rightfully getting promoted for all their hard work in recent years in trying to put real strucures etc in place. I think on behalf of all Drogs, when I welcome you guys to the new Premiership and look forward to visiting Terryland next season.

What???????

oh.. so this is what virtual fellatio:p is... ive often wondered... not pretty making everyone else watch.
:confused: :eek:

Buile Shuibhne
14/12/2006, 8:35 PM
Oi rub it in you ould fecker! Calling me a loser are ya! :D

Loser

Gareth
14/12/2006, 9:11 PM
Best part of the SWAI night was getting to meet the lads from Cork and Dundalk and the Galway and Monaghan PRO's.

Magicme
15/12/2006, 8:06 AM
Aww Gareth...ur much nicer than that Fintan Fecker! My highlight was discovering that in a room full of journalists, no one had a pen....maybe it was just coz I was selling lotto tickets!

geraldo1977
15/12/2006, 8:17 AM
Seandrog

I think your "petrol" comments are a disgrace and are unwarrented.

fbtn
15/12/2006, 10:15 AM
Anyone noticed that here no complaining from us? We signed up for it like everyone else. We knew, like Dundalk, Galway and everyone else that the four year record was going to be a large part of the process and only a few teams would be affected by this.

We've a much better 4 record than either Galway or Dundalk. The off-field 'spin' that Galway produced was obviously the deciding factor in their 'promotion'.

The sickening thing from a Harps point of view is that if we had of finished in the top two or three we would be up there instead of Galway.

13th in both off-field and on-field. Bloody typical.

The thing is though, we finished 6th in the First Division - one of the worst seasons in our history so we know we don't deserve to go up. We have a new manager coming in who will hopefully turn us back into challengers again, win the First next year and earn our right to play top flight once more.

DmanDmythDledge
15/12/2006, 11:20 AM
The off-field 'spin' that Galway produced was obviously the deciding factor in their 'promotion'.
They topped the off the field criteria.:rolleyes: Galway deserve credit for that, not stupid comments like that.

Terry
15/12/2006, 11:22 AM
We werent promoted, we were invited !

pineapple stu
15/12/2006, 12:39 PM
Much deserved??? They didn't finish high enough in the table to be deserved!!! Off the field maybe but on it??? Clearly not!
Sarcasm doesn't appear to be your strong point, does it? ;)

mcgonigle
15/12/2006, 12:46 PM
Seandrog

I think your "petrol" comments are a disgrace and are unwarrented.

He's a Drog, its expected. They slag Dundalk at every opportunity in a hope that if they do it enough it might make up for their lack of honours, compared to Louths greatest football team in history. :)

ndrog
15/12/2006, 4:07 PM
He's a Drog, its expected. They slag Dundalk at every opportunity in a hope that if they do it enough it might make up for their lack of honours, compared to Louths greatest football team in history. :)

ummm ? theres that word again................ HISTORY .