PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Playing Budget Estimates

Pages : [1] 2

chippie0001
13/12/2006, 12:24 PM
Just wondering what people think their clubs will spend on wages on the football side of the clubs. I mean players, coachs and managers etc. Seems we will have close to a full time pro league and I wonder what the wages will amount to.

To start it off Bohs will spend somewhere between €1.3m and €1.4m in the coming season. Its an informed guess as the AGM has not been on yet. That's gross btw. Anyway will be interesting to see what the 12 clubs wage bill will be for next season.

Kingdom
13/12/2006, 12:30 PM
I read somewhere that Galway will have somewhere around €1.1m to use on transfers in the close season as a result of them being in the Premier Division. That seemed like a massive amount of money to me.

LukeO
13/12/2006, 12:32 PM
Just wondering what people think their clubs will spend on wages on the football side of the clubs. I mean players, coachs and managers etc. Seems we will have close to a full time pro league and I wonder what the wages will amount to.

To start it off Bohs will spend somewhere between €1.3m and €1.4m in the coming season. Its an informed guess as the AGM has not been on yet. That's gross btw. Anyway will be interesting to see what the 12 clubs wage bill will be for next season.

Is that not slightly conservative for us?? One of the Gerrys said at the Seán Connor press conference that we'd be increasing our budget by 50% and given that our budget this season was €1m-€1.1m, I would have thought we'd be pushing the 1.5/1.6 mark for next season.

Terry
13/12/2006, 12:34 PM
Ya, GUFC have a budget for the coming season set at around E1.2m.

pete
13/12/2006, 12:36 PM
i think I read somewhere recently that CCFC wage budget was 1.2m. I would suspect thats the entire staff... I think could add another 500k onto that for other expenses.

If an average club gets 1,500 at their matches & say 20 home matches a season thats only 450k in gate receipts.

Assuming the 65% of turnover wage cap is to happen that means clubs will need to be looking to have to increase revenues considerably in the years to come.

Drogs & Shels must be operating on 2m+ budgets. I think it was said Shels paying 30k wages a week which is 1.5m on wages.

chippie0001
13/12/2006, 12:39 PM
i think I read somewhere recently that CCFC wage budget was 1.2m. I don't know if just players or all the club...

If an average club gets 1,500 at their matches & say 20 home matches a season thats only 450k in gate receipts.

Assuming the 65% of turnover wage cap is to happen that means clubs will need to be looking at 2m turnover to sustain those wages. Most income comes in a 40 week period which would mean 50k income per week. Even the top clubs would struggle to earn half that from gate receipts in a season :eek:

That actually was going to be my next topic. If clubs are to maintain a 65% cap, how can they pay these wages. In Bohs case our income would have ot be almost €2.2m, Galways €1.8m and neither have a chance to do this. Would love to see how any club is achieving this target, with the FAI allowing a fudge, which they are.

pineapple stu
13/12/2006, 12:41 PM
Could the E2m received by Bohs as a downpayment for the sale of Dalyer not be considered income?

Creative accounting could easily get you around some other problems with Bohs - release the sale price into the P&L over a period of several years, thereby keeping turnover consist and also consistently higher than anyone else.

No idea where Galway are getting the money from though.

wws
13/12/2006, 12:41 PM
the fai havent clarified what counts towards "turnover" estimates

eg directors loans, patrons, benefactors etc etc.

the net result will more than likely be that the "cap" will be meaningless in practice

bigmac
13/12/2006, 12:43 PM

from the Irish Times today

Galway United manager Tony Cousins was last night handed a €1.1 million budget to beef up his squad for the club's 2007 Premier Division campaign - and new signings could be announced as early as tomorrow.

The champagne corks popped in Galway on Monday night after the FAI announced that United had gained promotion to the top flight, but the board of the club have already moved into top gear as they plan to establish themselves as a Premier Division club.

"We have given Tony a budget of €1.1 million, which is €500,000 more than we had planned for if we didn't get Premier Division status. In recent weeks, we set out two budgets, one for Premier and one for First Division, and we are delighted to have to roll out the larger one now," said United chairman John Fallon.

And they expect an immediate return when season tickets go on sale this week at the special pre-Christmas price of €150 in the club offices and at selected outlets around the city. "Last year, we sold 450 season tickets, while this year our target is 1,000. That's what we need to sell to stay within our projected budget for the year," he said.

Cousins yesterday met with the United squad from last season and it is inevitable that he will sign a number of players as the club sets about proving the FAI right in their controversial decision to promote them.

pete
13/12/2006, 12:46 PM
That actually was going to be my next topic. If clubs are to maintain a 65% cap, how can they pay these wages. In Bohs case our income would have ot be almost €2.2m, Galways €1.8m and neither have a chance to do this. Would love to see how any club is achieving this target, with the FAI allowing a fudge, which they are.

I edited that post as Bohs & Galway budgets were not mentioned as just for wages alone.

chippie0001
13/12/2006, 12:51 PM
the fai havent clarified what counts towards "turnover" estimates

eg directors loans, patrons, benefactors etc etc.

the net result will more than likely be that the "cap" will be meaningless in practice

I have heard that clubs are allowed to budget for income from winning the league, setanta cup etc. Yet only one club can win a competition and all clubs have it in their budget. Also as regards directors loans they club can budget a loss if they can show it can be paid by loans etc. Only in Ireland :eek: Of course that is only a rumour as with 3 months to the new season as you point out, we don't actually know what makes up turnover. Again only in Ireland, and only with these FAI muppets.

Dodge
13/12/2006, 1:35 PM
So Galway are already budgeting for a 100+% rise in season ticket holders. Worse than that they [b]need[/] to sell that many.

And this is the best run (non collegiate) club?

Student Mullet
13/12/2006, 4:23 PM
At a guess, UCD's playing budget will be about 300,000 or so.

BohsFans
13/12/2006, 4:30 PM
Is that not slightly conservative for us?? One of the Gerrys said at the Seán Connor press conference that we'd be increasing our budget by 50% and given that our budget this season was €1m-€1.1m, I would have thought we'd be pushing the 1.5/1.6 mark for next season.

nah, our budget this season was less than €1 million.

Red4Eva
13/12/2006, 4:30 PM
i reckon ours will be €850-900k

Longfordian
13/12/2006, 4:59 PM
€500k-600k or thereabouts I would think/hope..

dublin15bohs
13/12/2006, 5:47 PM
this season 1.1million next season 1.6million Fact we can afford this

BohsFans
13/12/2006, 6:16 PM
this season 1.1million next season 1.6million Fact we can afford this

actually http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=591481&postcount=14

Patrick Dunne
13/12/2006, 8:07 PM
If GUFC sold 450 season tickets last year, our fourth consecutive season in the
First Division, doubling that amount in the Premier is not beyond the bounds of possibility.

LeixlipRed
13/12/2006, 9:29 PM
I would imagine our playing budget will be a carton of cigs a week for each U-21 we play. Realistically I'd love our wages to be as cheap as possible but I doubt that will happen. Another year of weekly financial troubles is ahead I'd say

geezer
13/12/2006, 9:51 PM
Is the total budget and includes 4 full time commercial staff. add in expenses, travel, training facilities,marketing and lease of terryland and I would say 6-700k on players

seand
14/12/2006, 7:41 AM
would love to know where all this money's coming from

Terry
14/12/2006, 7:45 AM
would love to know where all this money's coming from

for starters:

Harrmack Construction, HP, Aer Arann, Raddisson Hotels group, The Racing Lodge Hotel, Galway Taxis, Connaught Tribune Groups, Ulster Bank, Galway Bay FM, Galway United Supporters Trust (GUST)....the list is endless, the entire city and county has got behind united now and things will be improving year on year from now on.

Dodge
14/12/2006, 8:01 AM
700K playing budget is far more realistic for galway. Probably won't challeneg with that but at least its not commiting suicide

seand
14/12/2006, 8:06 AM
Just to clarify Terry I wasn't being sarky, but I have my doubts about the viability of full time football in Ireland. Thats great if you've got sponsorship worth 1m plus per annum, its pretty impressive sales for a projected aggregate attendance of, what, maybe 50,000 tops?

Patrick Dunne
14/12/2006, 12:12 PM
The total budget is 1.1 million.

Approx 20 home gates
Season tickets
Sponsorship
Programme revenue
5/6 large fundraisers
Merchandise
Four full-time staff to bring in funds on a daily basis
Television and other FAI monies
GUST Lotto

If you have 7/8 revenue streams, the above budget is achieveable

Poor Student
14/12/2006, 1:36 PM
Programme revenue

Most clubs operate at a loss on their programmes, don't they?:confused:

WeAreRovers
14/12/2006, 1:38 PM
Most clubs operate at a loss on their programmes, don't they?:confused:

Only in this country. As I've just pointed out on our members forum, a programme should be more than paying for itself. Check out any English professional club's programme to see just how much revenue they can generate.

KOH

seand
14/12/2006, 1:41 PM
Problem with programmes is printing costs are high in Ireland, and in the league you're doing a small print run which pushes up the price per item. That said, sales should cover costs and advertising revenue is then profit. In theory!

Poor Student
14/12/2006, 1:44 PM
We make a profit at UCD but only because we use average quality paper including the cover.

Does any Irish club do a glossy programme and at least break even?

NY Hoop
14/12/2006, 1:55 PM
Only in this country. As I've just pointed out on our members forum, a programme should be more than paying for itself. Check out any English professional club's programme to see just how much revenue they can generate.

KOH

Correct. When Dolan was at Pats all their programmes paid for themselves. It should be part of the licensing that all clubs must produce programmes. Any club that doesnt or charges for a teamsheet is a shambles (copyright dundalk).

KOH

OneRedArmy
14/12/2006, 2:03 PM
Does any Irish club do a glossy programme and at least break even?Oh yes!

Terry
14/12/2006, 2:04 PM

yes..

WeAreRovers
14/12/2006, 2:06 PM
yes..

Which I'm sure was duely noted by the IAG.

KOH

pete
14/12/2006, 2:27 PM

CCFCs City Edition probably breaks even but i good production values & i think won award for last 2 or 3 years. The problem with programmes is some sponsorship in it is probably paid as part of shirt & other sponsorship deals.

Dodge
14/12/2006, 4:38 PM
Yeah, the main problem is some club DON'T see them as PR/marketing tools. Cork, Rovers, Pats and a few others do and put a bit of effort into the presentation of them. The programme absolutely reflects on the club

bigmac
14/12/2006, 4:40 PM
Television and other FAI monies

Don't count on it, Waterford didn't get a penny of the TV money over the last 2 seasons.

RonnieB
14/12/2006, 5:38 PM
10euro and a pack of pringles.

John83
14/12/2006, 6:55 PM
for starters:

Harrmack Construction, HP, Aer Arann, Raddisson Hotels group, The Racing Lodge Hotel, Galway Taxis, Connaught Tribune Groups, Ulster Bank, Galway Bay FM, Galway United Supporters Trust (GUST)....the list is endless, the entire city and county has got behind united now and things will be improving year on year from now on.
I'm going to save this post for future reference.

pineapple stu
14/12/2006, 8:03 PM
CCFCs City Edition probably breaks even but i good production values & i think won award for last 2 or 3 years.
Think it was on here before that it runs up a nice little loss.

Is Galway's programme glossy? Last time I saw it (two years ago, granted), it was photocopied with a standard card cover.

eamo1
14/12/2006, 8:24 PM
matchday program is amoung the best in the whole league,its edited by a guy whos known to be on this site from time to time:rolleyes: .i was offered the job but turned it down due to time constraints,somebody needs alot of time each week to be able to produce a good program.
i think its great that nick and niall and the rest of our board arent getting the full credit they deserve for bringing in those quality and quantity of sponsors,it means no bigger clubs/companies will come in and try and take them from us which im surprised hasnt happened yet.
if anyone told me a few years ago that this season we would be operating with a budget in excess of 1 million id have the lads in white coats on the way pretty quick,its been the most incredible week of all my time supporting galway utd,14 years.

RockofGibraltar
16/12/2006, 2:36 AM
our budget is 100 quid for the season

JW.
16/12/2006, 10:04 AM
The GUFC programme is a decent, glossy publication - I imagine it'll be better again next season. I agree that it should be mandatory to have a programme of a certain standard. However, programmes should not be running at a loss: they should serve as another fundraiser.
A playing budget of E1.1m for GUFC seems to have raised a few eyebrows but I still wouldn't consider that a great deal of money in this day and age. It will be a great achievement if we can sell 1,000 season tickets, though the prices are very attractive.

Dodge
16/12/2006, 10:31 AM
It raised eyebrows because it was false and the fiugure has now changed to 700k for the playing budget according to gufct

JW.
16/12/2006, 10:42 AM
Sorry Dodge - meant to say overall budget, that was a slip. It's been pretty well explained on the GUFC forum.

Dodge
16/12/2006, 10:47 AM
Yeah I know but the initial figure given was a
playing budget 0f 1.1 million, which is huge.

I agree 1.1m for the overall budget isn't huge...

JW.
16/12/2006, 10:57 AM
Yeah, it would've been huge.
It's amazing how quickly it's all happening.
Who we'll sign is another matter.

Terry
16/12/2006, 12:36 PM

thats also a false statement Dodge, as you can see I never said it was a playing budget!

Rory H
16/12/2006, 2:35 PM
It raised eyebrows because it was false and the fiugure has now changed to 700k for the playing budget according to gufct

leeson lost 500k in a few days?thats good for him:p

eamo1
16/12/2006, 6:18 PM
in one day,not 500k,so our fianances our very safe;) .