Dassa
13/12/2006, 8:13 AM
what do you think of this idea?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6173603.stm

Superhoops
13/12/2006, 8:56 AM
what do you think of this idea?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6173603.stm
Wouldn't work unless the four countries were kept apart in ECQ and WCQ groups, which UEFA and FIFA would not sanction. Neither body would sanction friendlies between countries in the same qualifying (or finals) group while the group is still 'live'.

RogerMilla
13/12/2006, 9:05 AM
would be hugely in favour
would introduce a much needed element of competitiveness to our friendlies and set up some great away trips...

Dodge
13/12/2006, 9:19 AM
would be hugely in favour ... set up some great away trips...

Yep, nothing beats a trip to Glasgow, cardiff or Belfast

BohsPartisan
13/12/2006, 9:22 AM
Wouldn't work unless the four countries were kept apart in ECQ and WCQ groups, which UEFA and FIFA would not sanction. Neither body would sanction friendlies between countries in the same qualifying (or finals) group while the group is still 'live'.

Plus there is no such thing as a "Celtic" nation. The term Celtic was made up by a Welsh polymath Edward Lhuyd in the 17th Century based upon sketchy writings from Graeco-Roman historians about a people called "Keltoi" from central Europe. This term too eminated from one written source. Linguisticly, the languages that are today called "Celtic" seem to stem from the interaction of maritime peoples along the atlantic seaboardfrom Scandinavia through Ireland and Wales, Brittany, the Iberian peninsula and on to North Africa.

Dodge
13/12/2006, 9:30 AM
Exactly BohsPartisan. The only thing stopping this happening is political and linguastical :D semantics

BohsPartisan
13/12/2006, 9:50 AM
Exactly BohsPartisan. The only thing stopping this happening is political and linguastical :D semantics

:D
Very True

geysir
13/12/2006, 10:24 AM
Plus there is no such thing as a "Celtic" nation.....
That's probably the most boring and irrelevant part of that website.
Most of the so called celtic nations are not nations for the obvious reason that they are not nations.
I wonder how the IFA would respond to be affiliated somewhat with a celtic nation thing.

RogerMilla
13/12/2006, 10:37 AM
superhoops , i didnt think of that scenario
but perhaps we can agree to play it on the years when we are not drawn against each other ? ( ok this may not be often but still it would add more to it )

Student Mullet
13/12/2006, 7:18 PM
Picture the scene:
The Republic hosts the North at a game in Croke Park and the band plays 'God Save the Queen' as the visiting team's anthem.

It'd be worth it to watch the hyperventalating that would come from within the GAA.

livehead1
13/12/2006, 7:26 PM
Picture the scene:
The Republic hosts the North at a game in Croke Park and the band plays 'God Save the Queen' as the visiting team's anthem.

It'd be worth it to watch the hyperventalating that would come from within the GAA.

...and to the millions of people around the world who don't adhere to Britain being in the north of Ireland :D

carloz
13/12/2006, 7:29 PM
I must be one of the few who is against it, i fail to see what exsactly can be gained from these games. The three teams mentioned play a similiar style to us, a style that few continental teams play, so little will be gained. These matches will NOT stand to us when we are playing major opposition in qualifying tournaments.

BohsPartisan
13/12/2006, 10:02 PM
That's probably the most boring and irrelevant part of that website.

What website?

Qwerty
13/12/2006, 11:55 PM
Maybe every second year would work out best. I like the idea of a soccer triple crown.

crc
14/12/2006, 12:39 AM
...political and linguastical :D semantics
That should be linguistic! :D

As for the tournament, Bring It On I say! I think it would be great. It would only be three matches, a bit like the 6 Nations...
only with football...
and, er... 4 teams!

But hey, its a great idea - screw the English!

Dodge
14/12/2006, 8:50 AM
That should be linguistic! :D

Hence the smilie ;)

NeilMcD
14/12/2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah I would be against it as I think we would learn very little from it tactically whatsover.

Dodge
14/12/2006, 10:57 AM
Well its not like they play against these people in the premiership

Newryrep
14/12/2006, 11:00 AM
thanks but no thanks -not interested

Schumi
14/12/2006, 12:49 PM
Awful idea. Replace friendlies against good teams with Scotland, Wales and the North? No thanks.

Andyh
14/12/2006, 1:06 PM
...and to the millions of people around the world who don't adhere to Britain being in the north of Ireland :D

I didn't know Britain was in the North of Ireland, I thought it was the big island beside it...ah well.

Qwerty
14/12/2006, 11:27 PM
Awful idea. Replace friendlies against good teams with Scotland, Wales and the North? No thanks.

Yeah like we are so hot oursleves! Apart from a fluke win over Holland at Lansdowne Road in 2001, the previous win over decent opposition was a 2-1 win over Yugoslavia in 1999. What is all this crap about Lansdowne being a Fortress? As as is well known we haven't beaten a decent team away from home since beating Scotland before the last Ice Age. Man, we suck.

Schumi
15/12/2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah like we are so hot ourselves!All the more reason to have decent teams for friendlies. Imagine Ireland v Scotland every year. :eek:

NeilMcD
15/12/2006, 1:05 PM
Yeah I disagree with this for 2 reasons. One I dont think we would learn anything about different styles of play etc so that when we play Albania or Latvia or Cyprus away we would not be used to it. Secondly it would be crap away trips. I dont wanna go to Glasgow and Cardiff and Belfast every second year. Give me Amsterdam, Prague, Bratislava, Copenhagen any day of the week.

RogerMilla
15/12/2006, 1:34 PM
its the competitive element of the whole thing i am interested in , our current friendlies are muck , we read too much into it when we win and also when we lose , we can blood the young players in the heat of combat rather than seeing a great performance in a friendly and then a flop in a competitive fixture

BobtheDrog
15/12/2006, 3:19 PM
the only use that could come from this tournament would be if the countries involved's respective B teams took part.

tetsujin1979
15/12/2006, 3:41 PM
I was thinking an U-21 tournament would be better than a senior team tournament alright. We're not going to learn anything from playing Robbie Keane, Duff, Doyle, Given in threse games that we don't already know, so why not use it to see what Quigley, O'Donovan, Garvan, Clarke, Gavin, etc can do in competitive action?

Qwerty
16/12/2006, 12:05 AM
All the more reason to have decent teams for friendlies. Imagine Ireland v Scotland every year. :eek:

Friendlies are a waste of time, these games would at least be more likely to be competitve particularly as they wouldn't be one off, bragging rights are at stake. I'm not exactly trilled but I see a benefit.