PDA

View Full Version : Joe Murphy

ciano
13/12/2006, 1:33 AM
I see Joe Murphy, got into the league one team of the week again, something like nine of ten clean sheets already this year with Scunny and helping them to the lofty heights of League one. Maybe deserves consideration for a return call up, ahead of Colgan or Kenny, he is defo in the same league as Henderson anyway ( no pun intended ), or at least a B International call up. Maybe he dirtied his bib with Stan at Walsall.

drinkfeckarse
13/12/2006, 11:21 AM
He's not good enough and I'd rather see us going with younger guys with more potential.

Saying that, I'd have him in before Colgan but that's not really saying much considering I rate myself as a better keeper than him even though I'm a defender.

cavan_fan
13/12/2006, 12:18 PM
We have 2 premiership goalies, both having good seasons. If Kenny didnt look great against Cyprus then that's Stan's fault. Is anyone really saying that it's harder to play against Cyprus than Man City or Newcastle against both of whom he kept clean sheets. We should stop scapegoating him.

NY Hoop
13/12/2006, 1:45 PM
Murphy is good enough. Saw him play a few months ago and has a safe pair of hands. IMO better than Kenny who is very average. How it was Stans fault for his mistakes in Cyprus is beyond rational.

Given is world class despite his lack of ambition and Henderson and Murphy would provide 2 good back ups.

KOH

cavan_fan
13/12/2006, 2:20 PM
It's Stan's fault because if Neil Warnock (shudder) had been running the Irish team we wouldn't have conceded 5. Stan doesnt even seem able to organise the defence, which is shocking.

Irish_Praha
13/12/2006, 2:48 PM
Leeds fans - how's Graham Stack doing at the moment?
Out of all the young keepers that emerged over the last few years he looked the most promising to me. He was class for Milwall a few seasons ago and put in some excellent performances in the Carling Cup for Arsenal. I think it was a bad move for him to go to Reading because it was going to be very difficult to displace Marcus Hahnemann as no.1. IMO he should have gone to another championship side where he would have be guaranteed 1st team football. He's still only 25 which is young enough for a 'keeper, maybe he'll make it yet. Maybe he saw going to Reading as a chance to keep a low profile as a no 2 until his court case blew over?

republicofwhite
13/12/2006, 2:56 PM
Stack isn't anything special at all. I don't think he'll ever really be in the picture. Those who say Kenny is average is unfair, people are just very prejudiced on rash in judging him. He mightn't command his area as well as some but his shot stopping is actually fantastic, along with his attitude. He's definitely more adept than Henderson, who I don't see the big deal about at all. If he was as decent as some people make him out to be, he'd be a bigger club by now. Murphy is also better than him. The main guy we should be talking about is Supple. He's as close as we've got to another Given, and he's also the youngest. (Worryingly injury prone though) Also rate UCD's Darren Quigley quite highly, Randolph is supposed to be quite decent too. Its these three we should really be looking at.

NY Hoop
13/12/2006, 3:03 PM
It's Stan's fault because if Neil Warnock (shudder) had been running the Irish team we wouldn't have conceded 5. Stan doesnt even seem able to organise the defence, which is shocking.

Nonsense. On the pitch Kenny was at fault. If and buts dont come into it.

KOH

republicofwhite
13/12/2006, 3:31 PM
Don't agree... The Keeper is the easiest person to scapegoat in a situation like that. Its the defence's duty to shut down attack and keeper is essentially the last line. I've never seen a perfromance worse than Andy O'Brien's that night at centre half, Richard Dunne was absolutely all over the place and Finnan was the same, loose back passes, didn't know what he was doing. When a defence produces a performance like that it leaves a keeper completely exposed, and they can't do anything about it. I will admit it was his fault for at least one(indecisive for a punch) but he made some really good saves, but it was the likes of O'Brien and the non existent defence(and midfield)that resulted in that atrocity.

richieos
12/01/2009, 4:48 PM
murphy is being linked in the papers with a move to sheffield united. this would be good for ireland as he is younger and probably more talented than paddy kenny as backup to shay, and he could be playing premiership football next season

irishfan86
13/01/2009, 5:09 AM
The goalkeeper pecking order would be this way (and might be this way) if I were in charge:

Given
Kiely or Westwood
Kenny or Doyle

Beyond that it's much of a muchness as far as I've seen, but those are the top 5 that should be in and around the squad for the rest of this campaign.

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2011, 2:34 PM
Joe Murphy has decided to leave Scunthorpe rather than seek a new contract. I think I remember Burnley were interested last year?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13469477.stm

Philly
20/05/2011, 3:36 PM
Looks like he might be heading to Coventry as a replacement for Westwood:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11725_6927298,00.html

theworm2345
10/09/2011, 5:24 PM
Hauled off at the half for Coventry with a hamstring injury. I'd guess its not that serious as he made it to the half and I doubt he picked it up during the interval.

theworm2345
04/01/2012, 2:19 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16384213.stm

Charlie Darwin
03/03/2012, 11:08 PM
Great penalty save today against Sean St Ledger's Leicester. Still lost 2-0.

OwlsFan
25/09/2017, 4:12 PM
Thought I'd give Joe a bump bearing in mind that he has been in the EFL team of the week for two weeks running https://www.efl.com/news/2017/september/team-of-the-week-22nd-24th-september/?utm_source=emailmarketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=efl_roundup_25092017&utm_content=2017-09-25

pineapple stu
12/05/2022, 6:43 AM
In talks with Tranmere about a new contract. He'll be 41 when the new season starts.

The last player of that great double Euro win in 98 still playing

Trequartista20
12/05/2022, 3:49 PM
Older than me and still playing. Sad to say, I can't say that about many players these days. :(

Eirambler
28/02/2023, 7:24 PM
Joe must have had one of the longest playing careers in England of any Irish player. I found an edition of Kickin magazine (anyone remember that!) in the house over Christmas from 1998 and he was listed in it as a member of the Tranmere first team squad. 25 years on and he's playing in goal for Tranmere tonight in League 2 at the age of 41.

tetsujin1979
28/02/2023, 8:25 PM
Famously saved a penalty from Michael Owen in his Premier League debut

John83
28/02/2023, 9:40 PM
In honour of his longevity, I propose that he not get a G Tranmere b.1877 tag on the thread title lest he feel his age.

Stuttgart88
01/03/2023, 12:27 PM
Older than me and still playing. Sad to say, I can't say that about many players these days. :(

I'm older than all the refs and managers these days! And several owners, chairmen/women...

seanfhear
01/03/2023, 2:58 PM
I'm older than all the refs and managers these days! And several owners, chairmen/women...
I'm older than England's only World Cup Win ! !

Trequartista20
03/03/2023, 3:54 PM
Joe must have had one of the longest playing careers in England of any Irish player. I found an edition of Kickin magazine (anyone remember that!) in the house over Christmas from 1998 and he was listed in it as a member of the Tranmere first team squad. 25 years on and he's playing in goal for Tranmere tonight in League 2 at the age of 41.

I used to buy that with my pocket money when I was younger.

kickinmagazine.ie was still up online until recently, but seems to have been taken down now.

Eirambler
03/03/2023, 4:12 PM
Have to say when I was reading it back it was a pretty good effort for what must have been a fairly niche market. In the edition I found they were fairly optimistic about a young O'Shea lad from Waterford who had recently moved over to Manchester United.

pineapple stu
16/05/2023, 10:16 PM
In talks with Tranmere about a new contract. Though he's also their goalkeeping coach, so it may be a non-playing contract or an emergency option only role

pineapple stu
29/08/2023, 9:12 PM
Played in a 2-0 League Cup defeat for Tranmere against Leicester tonight, 23 years since playing in a 2-1 League Cup final defeat for Tranmere against Leicester

Eirambler
04/11/2023, 4:35 PM
Got himself sent off in the 102nd minute of what might end up being his last senior football appearance in the FA Cup today. 42 years old now and fulfilling the backup keeper role at Tranmere. Must be one of the only remaining players in English football who is actually older than me.