PDA

View Full Version : scams - Bluetooth

Ringo
12/12/2006, 10:32 PM
Great programme on BBC3 "The real Hustle"

1. Bluetooth hack
The con: Bluetooth is great for swapping photos with friends or connecting your mobile to a laptop. But did you also know that while you are accessing another person’s device with your Bluetooth, a hustler could be hacking into your mobile using an inexpensive PDA and software downloaded off the net?

How it works: A hustler takes control of your phone and makes it dial a premium rate number he is collecting the profit from.

You could be £1.50 a minute out of pocket until your phone runs out of battery!

A hustler hanging about in a public place like a train station can connect to, and take control of, up to 50 phones an hour.

Another phone fraud, and one of the most common frauds today, takes advantage of people's greed and lack of common sense. Fraudsters send out flyers offering a big-money prize. Then, after a £15 ten minute call to a bogus premium-rate number, the victim finds out they have won a keyring or some worthless vouchers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/real_hustle_scams.shtml

pete
12/12/2006, 11:03 PM
If its too good to be true it is. No easy money available.

You'd be surprised how many people leave their bluetooth on all the time... :eek:

dahamsta
12/12/2006, 11:43 PM
Sounded like bull the first time I read it, and it still sounds like bull now. Loads of people leave bluetooth on, but leaving it on isn't the same as giving full permissions to the handset.

Dodge
13/12/2006, 6:00 AM
Dunno adam, that show usually shows it being done, and cas stories too. Didn't see this episode so can't say if they did

Ringo
13/12/2006, 6:29 AM
Sounded like bull the first time I read it, and it still sounds like bull now. Loads of people leave bluetooth on, but leaving it on isn't the same as giving full permissions to the handset.

Didn't actually see this programme either, but i've seen enough of them to know ,if these guys say it can be done, then it can. try to catch it on "the extra channel's" on Sky. I've been amazed as some of the things they've got away with. Dressing as security guards at a nightsafe, telling the girl dropping the money, that it was broken & getting her to put it into their safe!!! Using a fishing rod to rob car keys, through a letter box etc.

Macy
13/12/2006, 7:40 AM
Seen a few of them. Normally takes nothing more skilled than the balls to go through with it.

John83
13/12/2006, 11:14 AM
...I've been amazed as some of the things they've got away with. Dressing as security guards at a nightsafe, telling the girl dropping the money, that it was broken & getting her to put it into their safe!!!...
Neil Gaiman came up with that one. Very proud of it too he was. Someone tried it after reading American Gods (http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Gods-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0755322819) and got caught.

dahamsta
13/12/2006, 1:53 PM
It's all about confidence, hence the terms "confidence trickster" and "con man". I've always maintained that I'd've made a great con man if I wasn't so distinctive looking.

Dodge, I remain sceptical. You certainly couldn't take over my phone with default settings. FFS you have to pair with it from the handset before you do anything.

adam

Dodge
13/12/2006, 2:05 PM
I'm sure I could Adam. If I wanted to...

I only watch the programme because the blonde girl on it is sensationally hot. Missus watches it as she's convinced everyone is a scam artist

onceahoop
14/12/2006, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=Dodge;591280]I'm sure I could Adam. If I wanted to...

I dare you to try it Dodge.

Adam, you'll give him a pardon if he does? I know you will.

Dodge
14/12/2006, 11:59 PM
Just did it. Simple enough.

dahamsta
15/12/2006, 12:50 AM
I have bluetooth turned off at the moment, so ye're all welcome to hack away to yere heart's content. :)