PDA

View Full Version : Greatest UK Top 40 Hit Never To Reach No.1

Thunderblaster
11/12/2006, 9:39 PM
The song I think was the greatest never to reach No.1 in the charts was Vienna by Ultravox. Debate is now open boys and girls!!:D

gustavo
12/12/2006, 10:18 AM
God Save the Queen - Sex Pistols
Wonderwall - Oasis

Lionel Ritchie
12/12/2006, 12:45 PM
Scope of thread title seems broader (38 times broader) than 'never reached no.1). The three mentioned so far all stopped at number two (wonderwall btw? will you just stop).

If 'never reached no.1' implies 'stopped at no.2' I'll say 'Welcome To The Pleasuredome' by Frankie Goes To Hollywood which was held off the top by 'Easy Lover' by Phil Collins and which I'm putting forward for no other reason than it would've stopped W@nklife becoming the first act (note I didn't say band) to reach no.1 with their first four singles.

Other noted huge selling No.2's include...

Fairytale of New York -Pogues & Kirsty McColl - best ever on songwriting merit.

Take On Me -A-Ha -number one everywhere, including here, but the UK. Not a great song -even by A-Ha standards.

Last Christmas - Wham -steaming pile of cack.

gustavo
13/12/2006, 9:09 AM
(wonderwall btw? will you just stop).

Lionel Ritchie
13/12/2006, 9:14 AM

**** *** ***:eek:

:D

jebus
13/12/2006, 7:40 PM
The Beatles Strawberry Fields Forever stopped at Number 2 I think, outside of that I'll plump for A-Ha's Take On Me as the greatest Number Two of all time. It still gets my vote as greatest video of all time too!

BohsPartisan
13/12/2006, 10:47 PM
The song I think was the greatest never to reach No.1 in the charts was Vienna by Ultravox. Debate is now open boys and girls!!:D

Have you heard the Vic Reeves version? It was on a compilation of covers of number ones and Reeves insisted on doing this as he felt it should have been number one. Doesn't stop him turning it into a song about the Belgian police though! hilarious stuff.

onenilgameover
13/12/2006, 11:52 PM
fairytale- didnt cliff richard keep it off no.1 with that logs on the fire tripe...shows what a fupped up world we live in I reckon...

Thunderblaster
14/12/2006, 12:19 AM
fairytale- didnt cliff richard keep it off no.1 with that logs on the fire tripe...shows what a fupped up world we live in I reckon...

Nope!! 'Twas the Pet Shop Boys!!

onenilgameover
14/12/2006, 3:36 AM
Nope!! 'Twas the Pet Shop Boys!!

yeah your right! I always thought it was cliff....!

pet shop boys aren't bad...still shoulda gone no.1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairytale_of_New_York

noby
14/12/2006, 10:18 AM
Position Artist Title DateDetails
36 Stone Roses She Bangs The Drum Jul 1989
8 Stone Roses What The World Is Waiting For / Fool's Gold Nov 1989
8 Stone Roses Elephant Stone Mar 1990
20 Stone Roses Made Of Stone Mar 1990
34 Stone Roses She Bangs The Drum (re-entry) Mar 1990
4 Stone Roses One Love Jul 1990
22 Stone Roses What The World Is Waiting For / Fool's Gold (re-entry) Sep 1990
20 Stone Roses I Wanna Be Adored Sep 1991
27 Stone Roses Waterfall Jan 1992
33 Stone Roses I Am The Resurrection Apr 1992
2 Stone Roses Love Spreads Dec 1994
11 Stone Roses Ten Storey Love Song Mar 1995
25 Stone Roses Fool's Gold (2nd re-issue) Apr 1995
15 Stone Roses Begging You Nov 1995
25 Stone Roses Fool's Gold (remix) Mar 1999
All top forty. No number one. Take your pick.

NeilMcD
14/12/2006, 10:31 AM
Strawberry Fields Forever

TonyD
15/12/2006, 1:03 PM
Charts are fairly meaningless anyway in my view. But, having said that, anything by Elvis Costello. Best songwriter of his (or most other)generation(s). Design for Life - Manic Street Preachers. Also agree with Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields by the Fabs. (Kept off the top by Engelbert Humpydick, fact fans :eek: )

BohsPartisan
15/12/2006, 2:30 PM
There are probably far too many to have them all here but aside from some that were already mentioned,
The Jam - Down in the tube station at midnight
" - The Eton Rifles
" - When you're young

The Smiths - This charming man
" - How soon is now
" - The Boy with the thorn in his side
" - Panic
" - There is a light that never goes out

Blur - Theres no other way
- For Tomorrow
- End of a Century
- The Universal
- Tender

I could go on and on forever.

SligoBrewer
15/12/2006, 8:14 PM
take me out - franz ferdinand no3

Thunderblaster
15/12/2006, 8:23 PM
Some people reckons that Drive by The Cars should have been No.1 but it wasn't.

CollegeTillIDie
23/12/2006, 7:22 PM
There's a Compilation CD released in conjunction with the Guinness Book of British Hit Singles and Albums called " Greatest no. 2 Hits of the 1980's" and Vienna isn't included :( however all the suggestions are valid. One of the reasons why Christmas no 1's have tended to be naff is that a lot of people only by singles at Xmas time as pressies for Kids. Namely Grans and Grandads and parents.

Another suggestion is Duran Duran " Save A Prayer ( Til The Morning After)" arguably their finest moment.
In much the same way as " God Save The Queen" is the Pistols finest single and the Manic's " Design For Life" is better than any of their fine offerings which did top the charts.