PDA

View Full Version : Premier Players for Galway United

Pages : [1] 2 3

ShamTalk
11/12/2006, 3:43 PM
After the brilliant news that we will be playing Premier league football next season, do any of our contributors wish to have a guess at naming any potential new signings or any preferred signings they would like to see in the Maroon & White next season? On the flip side, are there players that while brilliant servants to Galway United in the First Division, could be surplus to requirements in the Premier League?

DotTV
11/12/2006, 4:11 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Ronaldinho but it might not happen!
A few of the Shels lads seem to be up for grabs, maybe we can bring Colin Hawkins back home

Only1Rovers
11/12/2006, 4:28 PM
Connor O'Grady??????? he's left Rovers as he cannot commit fulltime.

tribesman78
11/12/2006, 4:33 PM
Bobby Ryan without a doubt

JW.
11/12/2006, 4:34 PM
I'd love Fordey to come back if he doesn't get a crosschannel thing. For certain, we need a goalkeeper.
No idea otherwise of who we'll be announcing but someone obviously knows.

DmanDmythDledge
11/12/2006, 4:38 PM
David Forde has already signed for Cardiff.

JW.
11/12/2006, 4:53 PM
Cheers for that dman,
Good luck to Fordey, a talented keeper if he can keep his mind on it
A loss to us no doubt

Paddyfield
11/12/2006, 5:36 PM
Barry Ryan (St Pat's keeper) is from Clare. He is going to be announced as one of ther first signings by Cousins.

corbyeire
11/12/2006, 5:40 PM
sweet!

GalwayFrancis
11/12/2006, 5:41 PM
an official source paddyfield?

GuisaSaigon
11/12/2006, 5:54 PM
we should sign gethins.Barry Ryan would be a good signing, a top class keeper is needed.Bobby Ryan, Hawkins,ollie cahill would be nice. I'm sure Tony's got a few in mind. exciting times!!!!!!!!!!!!

JW.
11/12/2006, 5:58 PM
We need at least 5 new players in my view.

corbyeire
11/12/2006, 6:16 PM
at least - if we are to be competitive

JW.
11/12/2006, 6:42 PM
The point is: given how well-run the club is, the fact (seemingly) that we'll remain mainly part-time for now, the strong likelihood of good crowds if we perform adequately and very good crowds if we do better means that we should be well able to project a decent budget this season.

Olander
11/12/2006, 6:47 PM
are galway going full-time :confused:

Gaillimh Al
11/12/2006, 6:47 PM
Did Ollie Cahill not already sign for Drogheda? Can't really see Hawkins coming here, not for another couple of years anyway. We will now come back to our age old problem, how to attract the best part-time players to come and play in Galway. Cousins has the contacts but we need quality, not 4 or 5 dubs who'll make up the numbers.

Patrick Dunne
11/12/2006, 6:53 PM
I see that Pats have released Mark Rutherford. He is pushing on a bit, but could do a job for us.

McTiernan and O'Grady would also be good signings.

Terry
11/12/2006, 9:39 PM
isnt hawkins gone over to stephen kennys dumfermline on trial?

Sligo have released a lot of players that would make the grade here including O'Grady, McTeirnan, Mansaram, Burns and a few more.

It would be unreal if we signed Barry Ryan from Pats, excellent keeper. Im sure we could see a lot of good signings by our great manager in the closed season.

sligoman
11/12/2006, 9:56 PM
Barry Ryan (St Pat's keeper) is from Clare. He is going to be announced as one of ther first signings by Cousins.That'll go down well with us, we already hate the guy:D.
Sligo have released a lot of players that would make the grade here including O'Grady, McTeirnan, Mansaram, Burns and a few more.McT has already signed for Athlone. Burns has not been released. Mansaram is either going to Bohs or back to England. O'Grady is the only player there that ye'd get.

eamo1
11/12/2006, 11:09 PM
and it appears to be a done deal as paddyfield said.i heard one other player who might be coming but i have selective amnesia till its offical;) .
someone said we need 5 players,i reckon we need around 8 to have a decent squad but we probably wont get 8.
IM STILL BUZZING,its incredible:)
btw,did anyone hear tony o donoghue on rte news tonight???he was reporting live from citywest and appeared to be not to pleased with the decisions today and started moaning.this was pi** poor reporting by him,giving his own opinion when all hes meant to do is report what happened and leave it at that,very dissappointing.

sligoman
11/12/2006, 11:17 PM
btw,did anyone hear tony o donoghue on rte news tonight???he was reporting live from citywest and appeared to be not to pleased with the decisions today and started moaning.this was pi** poor reporting by him,giving his own opinion when all hes meant to do is report what happened and leave it at that,very dissappointing.Is he a Dundalk/Waterford fan?:confused:

eamo1
11/12/2006, 11:42 PM
the logical assumption that can be made,he didnt even try hide his dislike of it.anyway dont want this thread to go further off topic so will leave it now.
i reckon we have around 12 players who could do it in premier league,so we need 6 probably,but those 6 will have to be first team signings not squad players.

Tribalhooie
12/12/2006, 12:50 AM
what would you expect from rte boys. little does he know that the on the field results were from the last 5 years not the last season. anyway thanks to dunkalk for beating waterford in the so called playoff. if they lost against waterford gufc would be going 2 the plastic pitch again. so on behalf of all gufc supporters can i say thank you very much dundalk fc and john gill you looked so cool on rte today. he he he he he he.

Terry
12/12/2006, 7:47 AM
I said it after the playoffs finished that dundalk might have just got us up by beating waterford, and I turned out to be right !!! :D

back on topic, Surely Tony will be raiding Drogheda for some players too, anyone know whos out of contract up there?

Terry
12/12/2006, 8:19 AM
The sligo lads are saying that Conor O'Grady is on his way down to us as well ! would be another great signing.

Tribesman
12/12/2006, 8:46 AM
We would need to bring in at least 7-8 players including two goalkeepers.

GuisaSaigon
12/12/2006, 9:43 AM
I was trying my best to get some info on thursday's signing of a few people last night but all were remaining tight lipped. Barry Ryan's name seems to be going around but nobody can confirm it. He is from Ennis he recently got engaged and his fiancee lives and works in Ennis. It's all speculation but Galway would be a short trip for him.
just to touch on the Tony o Donogue situation, I saw the report last night and thought he was way out of order. What trophies Dundalk and Waterford won in the 50's 60's 70's and 80's had no bearing on the decision. It's no wonder we have idiots coming on here that dont understand the process when we have bias reporters spouting rubbish like that on the national station.

JW.
12/12/2006, 9:47 AM
Like some of the media reporting, T O'Donoghue's thing was completely biased. He's a Cork fan as far as I know and a good League Of Ireland man, but could he not report the facts?

DotTV
12/12/2006, 10:23 AM
O'Donoghue was a disgrace. He lets his personal feelings get ahead of his duty to report the story.

Getting back in topic though I think you'll see a few players coming down from the East coast given Cousins' connections.
I'd like to see Utd adopt a policy similar to Longford in recent years when they snapped up some young players who came back from England

corbyeire
12/12/2006, 11:46 AM
thats a good idea

gufct
12/12/2006, 12:00 PM
The club will be insisting on any signings being based in Galway or nearby.The idea is to install a full time set up working with the players employers.

corbyeire
12/12/2006, 12:07 PM
but not full time - right

Ash
12/12/2006, 12:29 PM
I'd love Fordey to come back if he doesn't get a crosschannel thing. For certain, we need a goalkeeper.
No idea otherwise of who we'll be announcing but someone obviously knows.

Ye can have Robbie Forde back if ye want :)

JW.
12/12/2006, 12:34 PM
LOL Ash

Tir Oilean
12/12/2006, 2:25 PM
IMO its too soon to go full time and employers may not be too keen on the idea (as well as the players, they would be putting their careers on the line.) Dont want to go down the route of Shels et al.....Cork have changed back. On the other hand whatever the board decides I know it wont be spontaneous it will well thought out and every eventuality will be worked out and I will support it 110%

Latcheko
12/12/2006, 5:01 PM
Am, I read elsewhere on Foot.ie that Cork remain full-time, but anyway, can we sign Alan Cawley from Waterford please Santa? He's a grand set piece taker, and I'd better have his name right...

Red4Eva
12/12/2006, 6:02 PM
who will ye get rid of?? o'brien, disco & foley will be a waste of money in the prem and sounds like raf is comin back home. our playin budget at start of last was €12000(bout €650k/year). if yers is €1m yer board is very ambitious for next year. should have a few full time players if yer spending that much.

alan cawley already signed for bray, must have known somethin bout new league.

corbyeire
12/12/2006, 9:02 PM
dont think id get rid of foley - can do a job in midfield - keep him in the squad - plenty of other dead wood there yet ahead of him

tribesman78
12/12/2006, 10:40 PM
Foley , RAf and o Brien all had v good season for us would not like to lose any of them. Probably o Brien's best season i have seen him play for us.

Terry
13/12/2006, 7:31 AM
A close relative of Rafs is going around telling people in Sligo that he will be playing for them next season.

gufct
13/12/2006, 9:06 AM
Well he was meeting Tony y'day and I thought he was on a 2 year contract.

GuisaSaigon
13/12/2006, 9:39 AM
From http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story.asp?j=31017&cat=sport
Tubbercurry’s Rafael Cretaro, who excelled for Galway United in the eircom League First Division this year, could return to The Showgrounds.
The bubbly competitor – who can operate as a full-back or a winger – was part of the Sligo Rovers team that swooped for last year’s eircom League First Division title.
He is out of contract at Galway United but is due to discuss his future at the club this week. “He [Rafael Cretaro] is quick. He needs a lot of coaching but I think he is somebody that I could work with. He is a good, positive, upbeat person. He has obviously done well at Galway United.”
“The boy is very popular but the reason we are doing this is not to win points for the sheer fact that we are losing out on Conor [O’Grady] because I wouldn’t be taken seriously.”

Terry
13/12/2006, 9:49 AM
Nigel Keady, Dave O'Dowd and Mixie Harty have all been released

gufct
13/12/2006, 10:13 AM
It was always going to be the case if we got Promoted that more players would be released.Its very sad to see 3 players who were totally committed to the cause being let go and I wish all 3 well I guess Athlone could be getting a few more ex Galway Players.

Thanks lads and your always welcome in Terryland.

corbyeire
13/12/2006, 11:44 AM
i thought raf left sligo as he didnt want to go full time - so is he likely to leave again? frawley doesnt want to either apparently.

thought dowd should have stayed in the squad - depends on who is coming in

this full time has its mixed blessings - all eggs in one basket

GuisaSaigon
13/12/2006, 11:52 AM
thought dowd should have stayed in the squad - depends on who is coming in

thought the same myself Dowd was fairly impressive towards the end of the season. Tony must have a striker or two in mind. Murphy will have to deliver next season, full time should benifit him.

ShamTalk
13/12/2006, 11:57 AM
Nothing on web site about going full time or players being released. But based on contributors inputs would not object to Nigel or Mixie being released. But I would really like to see Dowdy being kept on. His run in the team coincided with out excellent finish to the season. He chipped in with a few goals but his workrate, never say die attitude and his ability to upset centre halfs was a joy to watch. I was in Ballybofey a couple of months ago and it was one of the most selfless performances I had seen all year. He made the trip from Tuam worth it. He was brillaint.

I also hope we hold onto Foley who got better and better as the season progressed. Is Billy Cleary going to leave/retire now that we are in the Premier? Thought I hard this somewhere.

corbyeire
13/12/2006, 12:29 PM
dowdie - maybe his injury is still bad?

Terry
13/12/2006, 12:30 PM
I disagree about Dowdy it has to be said. Althought he was great for us this season, I dont think he would be physically up to it in the premier. There is a big difference between the defensive line outs of Mons and Kilkenny, compared to any of the top clubs in the country.

In a match programme that interviewed Raf he stated that he joined united because of the way thing were run, it had nothing to do with what was being spouted around on foot.ie and the **** that Connors was spouting at the time.

I havent being talking to Billy lately to see what his plans are for next season as both of us have been busy, but with the performances he put in this season I think he would love to give it one more try with united and win something with us, a dream he would love to come to life Im sure.

Finally, someone said Murphs will have to show us what he got now, whos saying that he'll be staying?

corbyeire
13/12/2006, 12:39 PM
like the last bit terry - not good enough for a run in div1 - how is he suddenly going to pick it up for the premier - good bye