PDA

View Full Version : Christmas trees removed from airport - fair or "PC" gone mad?

osarusan
11/12/2006, 11:08 AM
A report from CNN explains how Christmas trees had to be removed from a Seattle airport as a Rabbi complained that a "Menorah" - a Jewish religious symbol - had not been included in the decorations and threatened a lawsuit.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/10/airport.christmas.trees.ap/index.html

Is this fair and equal to all religions, or just PC crazy?

Poor Student
11/12/2006, 11:22 AM
Seems petty. Why didn't they put a Menorah up too then?

Speaking of PC gone mad, you should have seen the icon thing Google had on Xmas day. It was orange and just had "Happy Holidays" in spite of the fact they'll decorate themselves for Paddy's Day.:confused:

Dodge
11/12/2006, 11:32 AM
Pretty much all decorations in the US (was in Chicago last week) say happy Holidays. fair enough as it is Chunnakah too (spelling?)

Macy
11/12/2006, 12:07 PM
The "PC gone mad" aspect is the airport taking down the Christmas Trees rather than putting up a Menorah to mark Hanukkah. Or perhaps it's the US Courts that are overly PC.

However, Happy Holidays is a cop out. Call it Christmas or don't bother.

drinkfeckarse
11/12/2006, 12:23 PM
I think the world is definately getting too PC. I hear things like newsreaders not being allowed to wear a crucifix as it might offend people and think who exactly is it going to offend - Satanists?

I see muslim women in full muslim dress which is of course their right and I wonder why people are so concerned about it. I then wonder though why I would be arrested if I chose to cover my face with, say a balaclava.

I always think people get too caught up worrying about people being offended they fail to realise that nobody is going to be offended in the first place.

Have millions of people suddenly started complaining about seeing Christmas decorations everywhere? I think not. Most people just live and let live and I think that's a simple fact that's all too easily forgotten.

osarusan
11/12/2006, 12:32 PM
They didnt have time to put up a Menorah as well, apparently, as the lawsuit was set to start at 10am the next day. Also they claimed that their first priority was getting people through the airport as quickly as possible.

Dodge
11/12/2006, 12:42 PM
I see muslim women in full muslim dress which is of course their right and I wonder why people are so concerned about it. I then wonder though why I would be arrested if I chose to cover my face with, say a balaclava.

Funnily enough in Northen US states most people wear balaclavas. Weather, you see...

Dodge
14/12/2006, 7:59 AM
People who are cold. Its fairly common.

BohsPartisan
14/12/2006, 8:56 AM
However, Happy Holidays is a cop out. Call it Christmas or don't bother.

Bah, Christmas is a foreign tradition. Its the Solstice festival!

BohsPartisan
14/12/2006, 8:58 AM
Have millions of people suddenly started complaining about seeing Christmas decorations everywhere? I think not. Most people just live and let live and I think that's a simple fact that's all too easily forgotten.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. Unfortunately for every 3 sane people who don't take offence at everything theres always one idiot to ruin it for the rest.

pete
14/12/2006, 12:06 PM
Since when has Christmas been a religious festival...

John83
14/12/2006, 3:14 PM
I think the world is definately getting too PC. I hear things like newsreaders not being allowed to wear a crucifix as it might offend people and think who exactly is it going to offend - Satanists?

Kind of leaves me wondering; can a bank refuse entry to a muslim woman who has her face covered? They do it to couriers and so on. And if not, how long before it occurs to someone to rob a bank dressed that way?

Dodge
14/12/2006, 4:35 PM
Since when has Christmas been a religious festival...

John83
14/12/2006, 4:52 PM
A web comic's take on the Christmas tree thing (first panel):
http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/asmussen/

Jerry The Saint
14/12/2006, 9:53 PM
I'm in the area now - Xmas trees are back up in the airport, rabbi dropped his lawsuit threat. Much ado about nothing really.

Airport authorities panicked when they thought they might have to put up Kwanzaa candles, Festivus poles etc. to cover all the possible angles and avoid offending anyone so they pulled down the trees. 99% of people aren't particularly bothered about the Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays debate. The reason it becomes an issue is down to business not wanting to offend the vocal minority who are dying to complain about stuff and incite others to join them in being outraged.

The debate is stoked on both sides - secularists who want to cover up any religious symbols ("Baby Jesus statue removed from Nativity scene"-type stories) and fundamentalists who jump all over any perceived slight as evidence that Christianity is under attack from the forces of political correctness. Ironically, the second group love to see this type of story as it hardens peoples resolve to give more prominence the religous elements. In this case, the Christmas tree is somehow twisted to be a religious symbol to suit the arguement, ignoring it's pagan origins. Some religious groups would even be opposed to Christmas trees.

Dodge
15/12/2006, 12:02 AM
Festivus poles etc.

:D

Seen that episode only lat week. One of my faves

pete
16/12/2006, 11:03 AM
Festivus poles...

Info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus) and Festive poles for sale (http://www.journaltimes.com/photo_galleries/120806festivus/video_shell.swf) :D

As people give charity donations in lieu of christmas gifts reminds me of the 'Human Fund' in that episode. :)

This might need its own thread...

citizenerased
08/01/2007, 11:25 PM
ridiculous, when in Rome and all that, im sure the rabbi wouldnt like it if someone stuck up a crucufix during honica,...

BohsPartisan
09/01/2007, 8:04 AM
ridiculous, when in Rome and all that, im sure the rabbi wouldnt like it if someone stuck up a crucufix during honica,...

A bit late coming in on this one CE. By the way its Hanukkah or Chanuka and takes place during the Christmas season! When in Rome indeed!!!

galwayhoop
09/01/2007, 9:37 AM
A report from CNN explains how Christmas trees had to be removed from a Seattle airport as a Rabbi complained that a "Menorah" - a Jewish religious symbol - had not been included in the decorations and threatened a lawsuit.

yet another example of the 'freedom' of the united states - that the world is jealous of :rolleyes: