PDA

View Full Version : iPod Question?

sligoman
09/12/2006, 7:08 PM
I'll be getting an iPod at Christmas and was wondering how will I be able to play it in my car? I know theirs stuff that you can tune into your radio frequency(think it's illegal here though) but what's it called? Is it the iTrip? If so, does the iTrip charge the iPod too?:confused:.

The Stars
09/12/2006, 7:14 PM
Ya its the i trip,can get them in PCWorld in Sligo.
you could just get the tape convertor thingy....not its technical name but it is for CD player,i pods.you just plug it into your i pod where the earphones go in.....dead handy and cheap

sligoman
09/12/2006, 7:19 PM
Ya its the i trip,can get them in PCWorld in Sligo.
you could just get the tape convertor thingy....not its technical name but it is for CD player,i pods.you just plug it into your i pod where the earphones go in.....dead handy and cheapYeah, was looking at stuff in Currys today. Do ya know if the iTrip can charge the iPod while plugged into cigarette lighter of the car?

Kildare Lad
10/12/2006, 2:42 PM
yeah, how much are these itrips?

P.S- does anyone know if Ipod 30GB's are the same as video Ipods???

The Stars
10/12/2006, 3:24 PM
yeah, how much are these itrips?

P.S- does anyone know if Ipod 30GB's are the same as video Ipods???

i trips are around €50.
Ipod 30gb is the video,yes. I have one,never use the video but worth getting,fo rthe extra money you get several thousand more songs.

onenilgameover
13/12/2006, 11:45 PM
indeed itrip I use mine all the time....i did drop it the other day and have to get a new one....

no it doesnt charge it but it works class...i did hear they were ilegal but i find that hard to believe...

I purcahsed this auction recently to replace my broken itrip and bought a charger too...!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-ITRIP-LCD-20GB-30GB-40GB-60GB-IPOD-CHARGER-POWERPOD_W0QQitemZ230062767960QQihZ013QQcategoryZ7 3834QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is a newer model to the one I had...i bought my previous one in nyc...

have a nice day...

NeilMcD
14/12/2006, 10:43 AM
I just bought one for my brother. The ITRIP Auto plugs into the cigarrette lighter in the car and charges your Ipod while you listen to it in the car. It uses a radio frequency to play through the car stereo. Very easy to use.

Schumi
14/12/2006, 11:59 AM
i did hear they were ilegal but i find that hard to believeThey are illegal, they're effectively a radio broadcast without a licence. Can't imagine a guard ever doing anything about it though.

ken foree
14/12/2006, 12:46 PM
easy to use the itrip is indeed, but it sort of piggybacks off "strong" FM signals and if you go out of range of the signal you're tuned to, the itrip stops working. also if the station switches off at the weekend - as mine does - it stops working too. thus you have to retune to a signal that itrip recognizes. i think they automatically come loaded with FM signals at the lower end of the dial - i forget the reason for this but i think it's because there's less clutter down there than the more populous mid/high numbered FM stations (at least here in the states). you can also load in custom signals through the software that comes with your itrip. the sound quality is good, not great.

SO the best way, currently, to listen to your ipod in your car is through your tape player as somone above mentioned. the exact same kind that play portable cd 'diskmans' - sound is fantastic and there is no signal/sound quality variation to worry about. a separate charger for your ipod is well worth the cost for this method. woe be unto those who don't have tape players in their cars, however!!

ken foree
14/12/2006, 12:50 PM
also woe be unto those that believe everything they read on wikipedia, but here goes anyway:

The relatively low power output of the iTrip makes it unsuitable for use in large urban areas because of the number of other radio signals. This is compounded by the fact that strong FM signals can bleed over into neighboring frequencies making the frequencies unusable with the iTrip. The Griffin website does provide U.S. users with a download http://www.griffintechnology.com/software/software_itrip.html called iTrip Station Finder which gives details of available frequencies of different U.S. cities.

Because they draw power from the remote control port on the iPod, the original iTrip, iTrip with LCD and iTrip mini prevent the simultaneous use of the wired remote or extra headphones. The later versions that use the dock connector allow access to the headphone jack; the newer iPod models at which they are aimed do not have the connector for a wired remote anyway.

[edit] European Use of the iTrip
The iTrip is now available in a lot of European Countries, since the CEPT made a recommendation to member states to introduce FM low power transmitters, a lot of European Countries have started to adopt these regulations to allow use of the iTrip. Therefore the iTrip to be sold legally in Europe will have a CE Mark attached to it. Only CE marked iTrips should be supplied in the European Union. Users should check with the radio communications agency in their member state to check the status of the CEPT recommendation prior to using the iTrip.

feo123
26/12/2006, 4:15 PM
How do ya reset an ipod?

Kildare Lad
26/12/2006, 9:36 PM
OK, Im after gettin an iTrip for an iPod nano...

That wont fit the video iPod will it? and if not, are you even able to get iTrips for video iPods??

oh and by the way feo123, i think you hold down the menu & centre button for a few seconds

lofty9
26/12/2006, 9:58 PM
Does the itrip not wear the battery in the ipod out?

I have a car stereo with a usb connection. Is their anything about that will allow the ipod to plug directly into that?

Feo, I know if you connect to the itunes store/menu, there is an option to reset the ipod to the factory settings.

SligoBrewer
27/12/2006, 4:53 PM
will ian ipod blend? :D