PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon new Derry City manager

Pages : [1] 2

DmanDmythDledge
08/12/2006, 6:42 PM
According to Aertel. (http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p221.htm)

Dazzy
08/12/2006, 6:49 PM
Apparently an interview tonight on TV3??

pól-dcfc
08/12/2006, 6:50 PM
Aye but it's prerecorded.

Could someone tape and upload it for the exiles?

headtheball
08/12/2006, 7:19 PM
Confirmed on our website.

http://www.derrycityfc.net/displaystory.php?storyid=662

We can now plan for next season bigtime.....:D

CollegeTillIDie
08/12/2006, 7:28 PM
Well maybe now you will win the League. Do not be surprised if a few ex Dublin based players end up in The Brandywell this season. And of course with David Forde gone, you lot are BOUND to win the League :D

OneRedArmy
08/12/2006, 8:31 PM
Well maybe now you will win the League. Do not be surprised if a few ex Dublin based players end up in The Brandywell this season. And of course with David Forde gone, you lot are BOUND to win the League :DDoes Pineapple Stu have a monopoly over how UCD fans think?!;)

Your argument would hold more credence if Quigley hadn't bobbled a ball into his own net in the Brandywell this season!

Anyway, happy with Fenlon as long as he moves to Derry.

SwiftsSupporter
08/12/2006, 8:42 PM
Like most I predicted it as soon as Kenny left and in the end it turned out to be a 'worlds biggest secret' moment. Although good appointment for Derry.

colm s
08/12/2006, 9:03 PM
Well maybe now you will win the League. Do not be surprised if a few ex Dublin based players end up in The Brandywell this season. And of course with David Forde gone, you lot are BOUND to win the League :D

What the hell hell ar u talkin about.I am presuming you are being sarcastic. Forde is a brilliant and talented player.

pól-dcfc
08/12/2006, 9:36 PM
Don't start this bloody argument again....

Who cares anyway? Forde isn't even an eircom League player anymore.

CollegeTillIDie
08/12/2006, 9:53 PM
Does Pineapple Stu have a monopoly over how UCD fans think?!;)
Anyway, happy with Fenlon as long as he moves to Derry.

No he doesn't we just know PJ is a better keeper than Dave.

Soper
08/12/2006, 10:25 PM
Nice and mature response there.

Can't blame a man for wanting to be paid.

OneRedArmy
08/12/2006, 10:36 PM
F*ck him and i wish you f*ck all success too.Fancy some vinegar with those chips Anto? (goes to fetch Anto's rattle and replaces it in the soon to be repossessed pram).

What goes around comes around and our karma just ran over your dogma.

Raheny Red
08/12/2006, 11:12 PM
F*ck him and i wish you f*ck all success too.

:cool: agreed, and if anyone thinks that I'm being harsh and childish - I'm not, I feel this way about you all too :D

CollegeTillIDie
09/12/2006, 6:32 AM
Patrick Jennings is a better keeper than David Forde. No decent goalkeeper has ever been produced by Galway United from their own ranks since entering the League.....

hoopy
09/12/2006, 8:32 AM
Good luck to Nutsy, a good bloke whatever some people may think of him. Anyone who answers a Bohs fan's stick by holding up 4 fingers and saying "four in a row" deserves a good job:D

Anto McC
09/12/2006, 9:46 AM
Of course I'm bitter,why wouldn't i be. If you could show me 1 football fan who wouldn't be bitter in the same circumstances,i'll tell you they're not a real football fan. I'm bitter about this just as Derry fans were bitter about us winning the league,at least i have the honesty to admit it though.

My previous message in this thread that was edited - What the f*ck?
This forum has gone to sh*t.

Gareth
09/12/2006, 10:11 AM
Pat will be disappointed to lose Forde. I just took a day away from computers and news etc, and I come back to Pat as Derry Manager. It just doesn't feel right, but things move on. Saddened but c'est la vie.

pineapple stu
09/12/2006, 11:44 AM
Your argument would hold more credence if Quigley hadn't bobbled a ball into his own net in the Brandywell this season!
I maintain that both our keepers forgot to switch ends that day. :)

Olander
09/12/2006, 12:27 PM
Patrick Jennings is a better keeper than David Forde. No decent goalkeeper has ever been produced by Galway United from their own ranks since entering the League.....
yes mate... and thats why your beloved patrick jennings was his 2nd for the last how many seasons ...

LukeO
09/12/2006, 1:08 PM

"F*ck him and i wish you f*ck all success too" Chris, there's no need to be deleting harmless posts like that!

ccfcgirl
09/12/2006, 1:08 PM
Derry just lost a good manager in Kenny and now they gained another good one in Pat ....This most be sickening to Shels fans though ......All these people leaving Shels isnt good for our league ....Shels are in Champians league next year and need there manager and players ......Pat leaving is a big blow to them .

sligoman
09/12/2006, 1:14 PM
I fear a heavy defeat for Shels against whoever they get in the Champions league next season. Something which will reflect bad on the league and keep the barstoolers at the bar:(.

Raheny Red
09/12/2006, 1:19 PM
I fear a heavy defeat for Shels against whoever they get in the Champions league next season. Something which will reflect bad on the league and keep the barstoolers at the bar:(.

They are going to stay at the bar no matter what.

Poor Student
09/12/2006, 1:24 PM
If Shels can at least retain a few players they should be able to negotiate the first qualifying round as seeds. Even a very depleted side should be able to beat the likes of the Luxembourg champions. Some of the better non seeded teams might be difficult if Shels underwent a total collapse. I do hope they can hold onto some quality by the time of the CL first qualifying round.

GavinZac
09/12/2006, 2:45 PM
They are going to stay at the bar no matter what.disillusioned?

Raheny Red
09/12/2006, 3:06 PM
disillusioned?

Nope, it's fact that they will never be at an eL game.

GavinZac
09/12/2006, 3:10 PM
Nope, it's fact that they will never be at an eL game.

we filled our ground when we won the league last year, with plenty of barstoolers. don't base your opinion of the crowds at eL games on shel's ethical determination not to attract 'fairweather' supporters ;)

Sheridan
09/12/2006, 3:16 PM
I think it's quite illuminating that these provincials feel they can't challenge for the title without a Dublin manager (e.g. Rico, Kenny, Fenlon) keeping the unruly natives in check with a firm imperial hand.

GavinZac
09/12/2006, 3:21 PM
I think it's quite illuminating that these provincials feel they can't challenge for the title without a Dublin manager (e.g. Rico, Kenny, Fenlon) keeping the unruly natives in check with a firm imperial hand.

real answer: there are more (too many) dublin clubs and as such more opportunities for managerial experience.

my answer: something witty about dublin city's pathetic tenure in the eL

Macy
09/12/2006, 5:08 PM
Of course I'm bitter,why wouldn't i be.
Given the circumstances of last season, and apparently ongoing, can you really blame him? The easy thing for him to do would've been walk when Bohs came asking.

Conor H
09/12/2006, 7:09 PM

See how he had to get the dig at Galway in even though we have nothing to do with this thread:rolleyes: .Pathetic.
You're also wrong.He's a very good keeper.

sligoman
09/12/2006, 7:16 PM
Forde is a good keeper but is almost guaranteed at least one major mess up per game.

pete
10/12/2006, 11:49 AM
Will Fenlon have a big wage & transfer budget like at Shels? He doesn't exactly have a track record of developing players as he more or less bought in all ther Shels players as already proven players.

TonyD
10/12/2006, 5:45 PM
......All these people leaving Shels isnt good for our league ....

Maybe, maybe not. It's a bloody good laugh though :D :D

dublin15bohs
10/12/2006, 6:32 PM

I know its great.

dcfcsteve
11/12/2006, 1:11 AM

Well City have only ever won the southern league with Derry men at the helm - the first of which was with the most successful manager ever in domestic football here (Jim McLaughlin) - so that speaks volumes about the relative merits of Dubs and provincials, even if yees do make-up close to 40% of the Republic's population...... :rolleyes:

How's your club doing in its search for a new Manager anyway ? Oh, wait.....

dcfcsteve
11/12/2006, 1:16 AM
Of course I'm bitter,why wouldn't i be. If you could show me 1 football fan who wouldn't be bitter in the same circumstances,i'll tell you they're not a real football fan. I'm bitter about this just as Derry fans were bitter about us winning the league,at least i have the honesty to admit it though.

This forum has gone to sh*t.

Ahhhhh yes - it's a great day for Irish football. The most succesful manager in recent years has left a small club on the verge of bankruptcy to join a big club who will have the cheek to actually pay him and his players in-full and on-time. How dare he...

Any bitterness you feel about Fenlon leaving Shels to join Derry should be directed to a Mr Ollie Byrne at either Tolka Park or Mountjoy Prison. If he wasn't determined for Shlbourne to weigh-anchor so deeply up sh!t-creek, you probably wouldn't have lost Fenlon at all in the first place. It was only a few weeks back that he turned down Bohs, so Ollie is clearly and solely to blame for your little bitterness.

Ahhh yes - a great day for Irish football....

Macy
11/12/2006, 7:43 AM
I could blame him if i wanted but i won't just don't expect me to be happy about him f*cking off to Londonderry either.
I don't expect you to be happy, I just don't expect you to be so bitter given the state of your club at the moment. Managers have left under much more dubious circumstances than Fenlon has.

Dodge
11/12/2006, 8:26 AM
Didn't the last manager to "win" the league with Shels walk away too?

bigmac
11/12/2006, 9:14 AM
to get back to the actual subject though, do people think that this is a good move for Derry? Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that Fenlon underachieved a little at Shels. I know he has a good record, but given the funds that were at his disposal, did he really get the best out of his teams?

Mr_T
11/12/2006, 9:49 AM
...All these people leaving Shels isnt good for our league ....

Post of the month nominee!! :D

dcfcsteve
11/12/2006, 11:18 AM
to get back to the actual subject though, do people think that this is a good move for Derry? Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that Fenlon underachieved a little at Shels. I know he has a good record, but given the funds that were at his disposal, did he really get the best out of his teams?

Fair point. Three league titles in 4 years is just unacceptable. What the fcuk are we dong signing an under-achiever like that....?!?! :eek:

bigmac
11/12/2006, 11:37 AM
Fair point. Three league titles in 4 years is just unacceptable. What the fcuk are we doing signing an under-achiever like that....?!?! :eek:

There have been many discussions on this board about how Richardson and Kenny seemed to be able to prepare teams better for Europe so I'm not trying to be a WUM or anything. The real test of a manager comes when you don't have the best squad around and with so much more money than everyone else, it should be expected that Shels would be favourites every year and would be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.
Pete asked how Fenlon will perform on a much smaller transfer budget, and a much tighter wage structure and I think it's a good point. He won't have the option of bringing in cover players on much more money than first teamers in other clubs (Alan Reynolds for example). Is he going to move to Derry? Will he want to bring in more players who will move to Derry? I'm not saying he isn't a good choice, but at the end of the day I think Derry won't have as good a manager next season as they did this season. Anyone from Derry want to maybe give a reasoned summary of pros and cons as they see it perhaps?

Paraic
11/12/2006, 12:17 PM
It's an interesting move for Fenlon - the easy option in terms of resources etc would have been to go to Bohs, but there's no doubting his track record in recent years.

Irrespective of budgets, the manager still has to connect with the players and get them winning. There's no doubting he has done that, particularly this season, and maybe the challenge of probably a tighter budget was part of what attracted him

pineapple stu
11/12/2006, 12:25 PM
Very slightly off topic, but had to bring up this (http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=7226&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) hilarious thread on the Shels MB. Quality stuff!

headtheball
11/12/2006, 12:54 PM
Very slightly off topic, but had to bring up this (http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=7226&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) hilarious thread on the Shels MB. Quality stuff!

Whose the Sharpe character..He knows how to wind them boys up..Afew taking the bait too..

pineapple stu
11/12/2006, 12:58 PM
I love the way he gets threatened with a ban for talking rubbish, but Gareth or Pat doesn't. :) And all the Shels fans still think they're a big club even after everything that's been predicted has started to come true.

dcfcsteve
11/12/2006, 5:39 PM
There have been many discussions on this board about how Richardson and Kenny seemed to be able to prepare teams better for Europe so I'm not trying to be a WUM or anything. The real test of a manager comes when you don't have the best squad around and with so much more money than everyone else, it should be expected that Shels would be favourites every year and would be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.
Pete asked how Fenlon will perform on a much smaller transfer budget, and a much tighter wage structure and I think it's a good point. He won't have the option of bringing in cover players on much more money than first teamers in other clubs (Alan Reynolds for example). Is he going to move to Derry? Will he want to bring in more players who will move to Derry? I'm not saying he isn't a good choice, but at the end of the day I think Derry won't have as good a manager next season as they did this season. Anyone from Derry want to maybe give a reasoned summary of pros and cons as they see it perhaps?

Pros and Cons ??

We lost a very good manager to Scottish football. We're replacing him with the most successful Manager in Irish football this side of the millenium. We can all conject about what might have happened had our dad's been our mum's etc, but speculation means feck all.

That's the pros and cons in a nut shell.... :D

headtheball
11/12/2006, 6:06 PM
Pros and Cons ??

We lost a very good manager to Scottish football. We're replacing him with the most successful Manager in Irish football this side of the millenium. We can all conject about what might have happened had our dad's been our mum's etc, but speculation means feck all.

That's the pros and cons in a nut shell.... :D

Nail on the head Steve...Looking forward to hear Pat's press conference tomorrow. He has already mentioned how excited he is taking over our fantastic squad...Can't wait now to see who he may be adding to the panel as well...

Setanta cup can't come quick enuff at the minute...:D

dcfcsteve
11/12/2006, 6:09 PM
Oh - and he's moving to to the City as well, with family to follow in June once the school year ends...... :D

Maybe a significant portion of Shel's limited support will also switch allegiances now. Though only once the school year ends in June......