PDA

View Full Version : Americanisation

SligoBrewer
08/12/2006, 5:53 PM
I'm SICK OF IT!
SICK OF IT!

When Eircom says that Eileen enjoys 'bacon'.
ITS RASHERS! BLIDDY RASHERS!!:mad:

strangeirish
08/12/2006, 6:27 PM
Nah, it's bacon, dude.:D And shouldn't that be Americanization?:D :D

Red&White Rover
08/12/2006, 8:44 PM
I'm SICK OF IT!
SICK OF IT!

When Eircom says that Eileen enjoys 'bacon'.
ITS RASHERS! BLIDDY RASHERS!!:mad:

you can speak! often have i heard you say "chillax" & "dude" etc!:D

Raheny Red
08/12/2006, 10:42 PM
And shouldn't that be Americanization?

:D

That was the first thing that came into my head :p

dfx-
09/12/2006, 1:11 AM
Sulphur is not spelled with an f!! :mad:

SligoBrewer
09/12/2006, 1:14 AM
sorry my brain has swiched off for now...transition year...

but anyways...
I HATE IT!

Every nook and cranny of the country is now 'The Ghetto'
and people from the land of fields ie. the wesht proclaim to be in de hood.

Red&White Rover
09/12/2006, 10:27 AM
sorry my brain has swiched off for now...transition year...

but anyways...
I HATE IT!

Every nook and cranny of the country is now 'The Ghetto'
and people from the land of fields ie. the wesht proclaim to be in de hood.

shaddup you foo'! man you be trippin!:D

Dodge
09/12/2006, 11:19 AM
Doesn't everywhere in the world call it bacon, not just the americans? Its probably more of a Britisation than anything else (British shops etc...)

Sheridan
09/12/2006, 11:31 AM
Yes. Only peasants say "rashers." Civilised people say "bacon", although "rashers of bacon" is also permissible. Not an Americanism at all.

pineapple stu
09/12/2006, 11:36 AM
And on that token, spellings with a "z" are in fact the correct (English) spellings and are recognised as such by the Oxford English dictionary. We changed our spellings to "s" about a century ago and now mock the Yanks for being wrong.

Still fun though, and the "z" does just look wrong.

Peadar
10/12/2006, 9:34 AM
This is the worst example of Americanisation I've ever heard! What a lame reason to have a rant! Rasher is a British word, with an uncertain origin. It isn't normally translated in other countries.

If you want to go off on one about Americanisation, why not get the hump over people calling their jumper a sweater.

pete
10/12/2006, 11:46 AM
Looks like the yanks been using rasher themselves too. click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Rasher_(SS-269))

:p

Sheridan
10/12/2006, 11:50 AM
But...sweater isn't an Americanism either! Jumper is vulgar and should be avoided.

strangeirish
10/12/2006, 1:54 PM
It'll only be bad when ye start doing this...
Bonnet=Hood
Boot=Trunk
Indicator=Turn signal
Lift=Ride( I will personally move back home and slap the S**t out of each and every one of ye):D

The Stars
10/12/2006, 3:28 PM
Sidewalk......i like that actually,instead of footpath.

Peadar
11/12/2006, 8:36 AM
Glove compartment/box.
Yet it's always where the handgun is kept.
Strange one that.
Bumper = Fender
Photocopy = Xerox

Macy
11/12/2006, 8:54 AM
Pronunciation of "Schedule" and "Genuine" as Skedule and Genuwine would be the most annoying for me.

And surely it's geansaí (or Ganzy to start a thread of corruption of Irish? :D )not jumper or sweater?

Raheny Red
11/12/2006, 9:55 AM
And why do they call your arse a fanny :confused:

:p

paul_oshea
11/12/2006, 10:13 AM
aloooominum pronounced for the word
aluminium

has to be the worst ever

osarusan
11/12/2006, 10:23 AM
The place where I work over here advertises itself as a school teaching "American English", and so in the textbooks, there are words like 'vacation', 'trunk', 'elevator' instead of 'holiday', 'boot', 'lift' etc.

Any teacher not from USA / Canada is encouraged to use their own native vocabulary and explain that English speakers around the world have some different expressions and so on.

I've had a couple of students actually question my pronunciation jag'u'ar vs jag'you'ar and spelling of words (the most "illuminating" incident was a woman who thought I had wrongly included a 'u' in 'color'. Had to bite my tongue there.)

But I have to say that in general, the "American" word is generally more accurate in its description.

"Trunk" is a more accurate word that "boot".

"Elavator" is more accurate than "Lift"

"Sidewalk" is more accurate than "Footpath"

Don't hate me!

Sheridan
11/12/2006, 10:33 AM
But I have to say that in general, the "American" word is generally more accurate in its description.

Not really, and it's certainly less descriptive (because they don't have the intellectual agility to understand anything that's not spelled out in black and white for them.)

But we all know Americans are a bit thick. We in this country have no excuse for our linguistic stupidity, with the birthplace of the language on our doorstep. Common Irish mispronunciations could fill an entire thread. Some of them provoke me to homicidal rage. There is only one r in sacrifice for instance. It's not "sarcrifice" for fvck's sake. Nor is our patron saint called Saint Partrick.

Peadar
11/12/2006, 10:41 AM
aloooominum pronounced for the word
aluminium

has to be the worst ever

Thought you studied Physics in school, Paul?
If you did, you may have learned that the word they use in the US is aluminum, whereas, the rest of us use aluminium.

It stems from the fact that the word alumium was originally proposed for the metal (Can't remember the guys name). That name was then replaced by aluminum but was later changed to aluminium by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemists so as to conform with the standard "ium" ending of most other elements. Both names seem to have equal validity but aluminium is the more common name used outside of the US.

osarusan
11/12/2006, 10:43 AM
Not really, and it's certainly less descriptive (because they don't have the intellectual agility to understand anything that's not spelled out in black and white for them.)

But we all know Americans are a bit thick.

Dont think it is fair to characterise all of them this way. Sure, a few who come to Ireland to find where their relatives came from can come across as stupid, and some of their current politicians don't help, but I have met plenty of extremely intelligent and eloquent Americans over here.

Common Irish mispronunciations could fill an entire thread. Some of them provoke me to homicidal rage. There is only one r in sacrifice for instance. It's not "sarcrifice" for fvck's sake. Nor is our patron saint called Saint Partrick.

My personal favourites have always been people saying "The D'unbelieveables" and "The Projidy"

Peadar
11/12/2006, 10:49 AM
The Sentanta Sports Cup is another one.
Knew a girl once who couldn't say "Adrian."
She used to say "Airdrian."

anto1208
11/12/2006, 10:56 AM
did they mean bacon rather than rashers in the ad ie a side of bacon ? for bacon and cabbage .

Or did eircom just employ some stupid marketing people to come up with yet another annoying ad .

people in marketing are the devil

Schumi
11/12/2006, 11:33 AM
And why do they call your arse a fanny :confused:
They just like you. ;) ;)

Magicme
11/12/2006, 11:43 AM
I personally think alot of american spelling makes more sense too. Color looks better and center makes more sense. Used to get in trouble in school for spelling them like that coz of my years in Canada.

What does annoy me is that my sons like to use too many american terms from watching shows like Keenan & Kel etc. Its a Tank Top not a Sweater Vest, but sweater vest makes more sense! Since watching Hells Kitchen USA Dylan refers constantly to the Risssoooto he is making!

pineapple stu
11/12/2006, 12:33 PM
What does annoy me is that my sons like to use too many american terms from watching shows like Keenan & Kel etc.
Jesus - you let your kids watch Keenan & Kel?! Stop it! Right now!!

It stems from the fact that the word alumium was originally proposed for the metal (Can't remember the guys name). That name was then replaced by aluminum but was later changed to aluminium by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemists so as to conform with the standard "ium" ending of most other elements.
I think it was actually formally registered as "aluminum", but that was a typo as, as you note, the "ium" suffix is pretty much a standard. It was changed, but the Yanks keep the correct "incorrect" version.

Peadar
11/12/2006, 12:34 PM
Never heard that it was a typo. Always heard and read something similar to my version.

Metrostars
11/12/2006, 6:50 PM
Never heard that it was a typo. Always heard and read something similar to my version.

Wikipedia (if it is to be believed (c)) to the rescue:

The earliest citation given in the Oxford English Dictionary for any word used as a name for this element is alumium, which Humphry Davy employed in 1808 for the metal he was trying to isolate electrolytically from the mineral alumina. The citation is from his journal Philosophical Transactions: "Had I been so fortunate as..to have procured the metallic substances I was in search of, I should have proposed for them the names of silicium, alumium, zirconium, and glucium." [11]

By 1812, Davy had settled on aluminum, which, as other sources note, matches its Latin root. He wrote in the journal Chemical Philosophy: "As yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state."[12] But the same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review, a British political-literary journal, objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium, "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound." [13]

The -ium suffix had the advantage of conforming to the precedent set in other newly discovered elements of the period: potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, and strontium (all of which Davy had isolated himself). Nevertheless, -um spellings for elements were not unknown at the time, as for example platinum, known to Europeans since the 16th century, molybdenum, discovered in 1778, and tantalum, discovered in 1802.

Americans adopted -ium for most of the 19th century, with aluminium appearing in Webster's Dictionary of 1828. In 1892, however, Charles Martin Hall used the -um spelling in an advertising handbill for his new electrolytic method of producing the metal, despite his constant use of the -ium spelling in all the patents he filed between 1886 and 1903. It has consequently been suggested that the spelling on the flier was a simple spelling mistake. [citation needed] Hall's domination of production of the metal ensured that the spelling aluminum became the standard in North America; the Webster Unabridged Dictionary of 1913, though, continued to use the -ium version.

In 1926, the American Chemical Society officially decided to use aluminum in its publications; American dictionaries typically label the spelling aluminium as a British variant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumium#Spelling

Metrostars
11/12/2006, 7:04 PM
Others:

Candy/Sweets
Soda(also Soda Pop in places)/Mineral
Apartment/Flat
Check/Cheque
Cell phone/Mobile
Closet/Waldrobe
Cookie/Biscuit
Diaper/Nappy
First Floor/Ground Floor (this still gets me after 14 years in the US)
French Fries/Chips
Gas/Petrol
Jello/Jelly
Jelly/Jam
3 Muskateers/Milky Way
Milky Way/Mars Bar

Some more here:
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron/amlish.html

strangeirish
11/12/2006, 7:06 PM
Also fondly known down the country as 'Dah shilver stchuff dah whon't ruscht on ye, Miley':D

sligoman
11/12/2006, 9:52 PM
Traffic light-Stop light in US which is stupid cos you don't always have to stop at the light, only when it's red;).

dahamsta
12/12/2006, 9:39 AM
And on that token, spellings with a "z" are in fact the correct (English) spellings and are recognised as such by the Oxford English dictionary. We changed our spellings to "s" about a century ago and now mock the Yanks for being wrong.New one on me, is there a Wikipedia article or summat?

pineapple stu
12/12/2006, 1:02 PM
Read it in Bill Bryson's Mother Tongue, I think. I'll try and dig up a reference.

dahamsta
12/12/2006, 1:03 PM
Do please, I've never heard that before.

lofty9
12/12/2006, 2:10 PM
Soda(also Soda Pop in places)/Mineral

Without doubt the culchiest term to phrase a soft drink!

I was in Liverpool years ago playing for an U15 team and we went to a McDonalds after one of the games. One of the team on the trip from Donegal and now an eircom league coach for a team in Connaught;) went in and asked for a cheeseburger and a mineral.

The mcdonaldette replied quizically: "A mineral sir? I'm afraid we don't have any "

To which he replied in all seriousness, " Sorry can I have a Mcmineral then"

Once an idiot.....

sligoman
12/12/2006, 9:53 PM
One of the team on the trip from Donegal and now an eircom league coach for a team in Connaught;) went in and asked for a cheeseburger and a mineral.Please reveal who, really wanna know now:D. Send me a PM if you don't wanna say it here;) .

cheifo
13/12/2006, 8:02 AM
Suprised you need telling Sligoman, even I can work that one out.Funny story though.:D

Over the post
13/12/2006, 4:45 PM
Vive la difference as far as I'm concerned; languages evolve and while I like to wind my American colleagues up by accusing them of butchering the language we perfected, I would never expect them to use the same idioms and jargon as myself.
What does get on my t¡ts however is the way in which we have adopted movie instead of film (which has two syllables where I come from) or pictures (I only ever go to the pictures or occasionally the cinema) and other such barbarities.

onenilgameover
13/12/2006, 11:33 PM
I'm more worried that Eircom think I'm an Eircom Bundle...

pineapple stu
14/12/2006, 12:49 PM
Had a quick look through that book and couldn't find the reference to -ise/-ize. Not the easiest of things to find in a book, of course. I'll have a proper look again this evening and see if there's any other books it might have been in as well. Haven't forgotten anyway!

Edit - here we go. Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-ize#-ise_.2F_-ize)

sligoman
14/12/2006, 9:48 PM
Suprised you need telling Sligoman, even I can work that one out.Funny story though.:DFigured it was him alright, just wanted confirmation on it. What a legend!:p

Poor Student
14/12/2006, 9:55 PM
Closet/Waldrobe

Don't you mean press?;)

Magicme
15/12/2006, 11:05 AM
God I hate the word "press" its only uses are in reference to journos or whats done to grapes etc to make wine...Its a feckin cupboard or wardrobe