PDA

View Full Version : Brian Kerr - is he a contender?

Sage
08/11/2002, 11:12 AM
Have to say I leaning towards giving this man a go. I undertsabd all of the arguments aginst him - but tking such a step would not be unheard of - Think the current Swiss and Spnish managers.

Anyway, it would be a refreshing change to see someone other than the usual suspects off the managerial merry go round get the job

What do ye think?

Shano
08/11/2002, 11:16 AM
Have to disagree with you. Don't think he would be a good man for the job. While he has been successful at underage level I don't think he would be good enough for this level.

pete
08/11/2002, 11:51 AM
I think Kerr would be a good option as assistant to a continental manager - If they go with a non UK/irish manager the continental based manager would need a "local" with knowledge of the irish & british game.

Kerr has made a career as manager - not just a retired footballer looking for something to do now he can't play football.

brine2
08/11/2002, 12:37 PM
Sure why not give Kerr a chance. Portugal 2004 is as good as out the window anyway, so what have we got to lose?

The Legend
08/11/2002, 10:34 PM
If we are to accept Portugal 2004 is out the window...

... then what the hell do we need Keane back for?

IMO there's a slight chance of getting to Portugal, and i really don't care anymore what Keane does.

What's more important is bringing through the next Duff or Keane!

World cup 2006 is way more important anyway so we want to be ready for that!

brine2
09/11/2002, 1:53 AM
Even more reason to appoint Kerr then.

patsh
09/11/2002, 6:42 PM
Originally posted by Shano
Have to disagree with you. Don't think he would be a good man for the job. While he has been successful at underage level I don't think he would be good enough for this level.
Yeah, let's not bother giving it to someone who has won 2 European championships, knows Irish players inside out, understands tactics and gameplans and knows how to get the best out of any squad of "average" or good players.
Lets give it to someone like Bryan Robson (even though I think this is a joke), John Aldridge etc,
Why?
Because they played in English teams, so they MUST be better than Kerr.
Maybe your buddy Brady will get it, because he would be quite happy to keep taking it up the ass from the FAI, all for the benefit of his country..........

brine2
09/11/2002, 8:57 PM
I would argue that Kerr has more experience at international level (selecting a formation that suits the players available) than Bryan Robson, who has only managed at club level (buying in players that suit your formation).

patsh
10/11/2002, 7:24 PM
Originally posted by brine2
I would argue that Kerr has more experience at international level (selecting a formation that suits the players available) than Bryan Robson, who has only managed at club level (buying in players that suit your formation).
Even you or I have more experience than Bryan Robson !!!!:)
I doubt very much if even the FAI would seriously consider him.

Brian Kerr should be given his chance, if only until the end of the qualifying campaign. But some plonk from the English league will probably get it.....:(

The Legend
11/11/2002, 5:39 PM
Kerr would definitely be better than Robson or Aldridge!

Éanna
11/11/2002, 5:48 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
Even you or I have more experience than Bryan Robson !!!!:)
I doubt very much if even the FAI would seriously consider him.

I´d rather gunther than robson, but don´t be surprised if the FAI go for him- they being the !"·$%´s that they are

The Legend
11/11/2002, 6:02 PM
I don't believe the FAI will approach Robson...

I know the FAI are incompentent to extreme measures but hiring Robson (especially when you have some time with the next big game being a few months away) would be the most bafflingly Stupid decision ever made in the history of irish national soccer...

I am racking my brains, trying to think of a decision that was worse... (nope even playing Kilbane at left wing or ignoring John O'Shea doesn't beat it)

Only someone that never watched a soccer match and was handed a brown paper envelope stuffed with cash would hire him...

Oh S**T... with that criteria, they are going to hire him, what are we going to do?