PDA

View Full Version : Bryan Robson? What the?

The Legend
07/11/2002, 11:54 PM
I am reading in Sporting Life that Robson is the bookies favourite for the Ireland job......

.... HOW IN THE NAME OF GOD would that tried and tested mgt failure gob****e be given the Republic job...

I think i am going to be sick.........

from Sporting Life.......

PLUNGE ON ROBSON
The betting on the next Republic of Ireland manager took a new twist on Thursday when Bryan Robson rocketed to the top of the lists.

Mick McCarthy left the post on Tuesday and Joe Kinnear, John Toshack and John Aldridge were seen as the men most likely to take over according to the bookies.

But all that changed on Thursday as the punting public got firmly stuck in.

Former Sunderland manager Peter Reid proved popular early in the day and is now no bigger than 4/1 with Ladbrokes, having been trading at 25/1 at the start of the day.

The biggest plunge though took place on ex-Middlesbrough coach Robson.

The former England captain - like Reid available at 25/1 earlier - is as short as 11/10 with William Hill to take over.

Robson's close friendship with Roy Keane would certainly seem to be in his favour and one bullish Ladbrokes punter staked £1000 on him at 16/1 on Thursday afternoon.

John Toshack, himself the subject of a £1000 bet at 9/4 with Bet Direct on Wednesday, can now be taken at 100/30 with BlueSq.

Aldridge is generally available at 5/1 with Kinnear a 9/1 shot with Blue Square.

hoofball
08/11/2002, 7:56 AM
Yup, he certainly came out of nowhere. Toshack is already out of the running, he took a job with Catania, a Seria B club in Italy, so
he's out of the running.

The whole Robson thing could be just a rumour as well, coz as far as I know, no-one has confirmed it. IMO, his name is just being touted about because of the connection with Keane etc......

patsh
08/11/2002, 8:53 AM
Even the FAI would not be so stupid to sign up this clown Robson.

Or would they???:eek:

pete
08/11/2002, 9:49 AM
Isn't it great how the papers can get articles out of a list of bookies favourites. They had Toshack in as Favouraite yesterday & look how accurate that was

:rolleyes:

The FAI haven't even decided the format of the selction process yet so i can't see how anyone could speculate on complete outsiders like Robson.

btw why do the media think being Roy Keanes friend would give anyone an advantage? Keanes not certain to come back & probably only has many 2 years of internationla football left in him.

:confused:

Festus
08/11/2002, 11:04 AM
The media are trying to link washed-up English managers to the Ireland job. Why don't we cast the net a bit wider, even to the point of looking beyond the white cliffs of Dover? There are many fine managers on the continent, who would have much wider experience in European football. My choice would be Co Adriaanse. He brought tiny Dutch team Willem II to the champions league a couple of years ago, showing he can do well with very modest resources. Before that he was director of Youth Education at Ajax Amsterdam. He subsequently managed Ajax for a year. He also speaks perfect English. Developing football at all levels is something the FAI should take more seriously, and the Dutch could teach us a thing or three about that. Adriaanse has experience running the Ajax youth academy, which is one of the most successful in the world.

I realise Adriaanse is not an obvious choice, but I would consider him better qualified than some of the people currently being touted in the press.

foureyes
08/11/2002, 11:07 AM
well I'm sure he would come back if 'captain fantastic' asked him. I can think of nothing worse than hiring Robson. He is a stupid man. It would be bizarre if he took over and brought keane back - so much for eliminating the drinking culture.

Look at how much better boro are since mclaren took over; all his signings have been good for the club and the team is much tighter all over the park.

Shano
08/11/2002, 11:14 AM
No to Robson - we don't want that ex-England captain managing our national tea.

brine2
08/11/2002, 12:32 PM
We need a manager that will clamp down on the party atmosphere at the FAI and bring through young players.

Middelsbrough were known for their drinking culture and Robson signed a clapped out, ageing and out of shape Paul Gascoigne from Rangers for 4 million pounds!

ROBSON IS NOT THE MAN!

Schumi
08/11/2002, 12:37 PM
Christ, I can't think of a worse guy to choose as a manager. He spent a fortune at Middlesbrough and they were terrible. If people thought Mick was a bad manager, Robson would really show them the meaning of it.

The Legend
08/11/2002, 10:25 PM
I'd be surprised if an english Division 3 club hired Robson, not to mind say us

... Jeez, why don't we put Gazza in charge...

Jack_2001
10/11/2002, 2:02 PM
Robbo couldn't do it when he had a ****load of money to spend, how is he going to do anything with a team that he is stuck with!! And the worst thing is that there is a report on RTE sport website this afternoon saying that robbo would be very interested in taking the job it he was offered it!! Holy God like! But then again, the FAI have done everything else wrong this year, why not cap it off like!

johnnydontgo
12/11/2002, 6:01 PM
Christ, I can't think of a worse guy to choose as a manager.

liam murphy? :(

patsh
12/11/2002, 9:00 PM
Originally posted by johnnydontgo

liam murphy? :(
I actually think LM would be better than Robson. :rolleyes:
and, BTW, even as one who would have felt that RK was more sinned against than sinning, I feel that any attempt by ANY player to influence the appointment would be disastrous.

Shed End John
14/11/2002, 3:57 PM
Turns out though, according to Paul Cashman of Cashmans bookies, that only a few hundred quid can completely swing the betting regarding potential managers. IMO, the race (???) for the Irish hotseat is still wide open, just as long as Robson doesn't get it.

Murphy Out Now!!!