PDA

View Full Version : Due Process...my arse

Pages : [1] 2 3

Calcio Jack
07/12/2006, 3:57 PM
Those glorious defenders of the wellbeing of the youth of Tallaght, Thomas Davis... today launched a sneak attack down in the Four Courts. Briefly they filed a petition to try and convince the court that the setting of a date for their Judicial Review of Tallaght should be postponed untill a different appeal concerning another case that is due to be heard by the Supreme Court sometime in 2007 takes place.

Thomas Davis hoped that by doing this they would be able to delay the hearing of their own Judicial Review 'till sometime in 2008. If that had happened and even if the South Dublin Count Council were to be sucessful, Tallaght wouldn't be available to Rovers untill sometime at earliest in 2009.

The good news is that Thomas Davis had thier application declined today...

This is just another example of the GAA via Thomas Davis engaging in a sickening act of attempting to destroy Rovers whilst hiding behind a self righteous spin that under due process they have a democratic right to behave in this manner....

Dazzy
07/12/2006, 3:58 PM
****ing *******s!

dublin15bohs
07/12/2006, 4:02 PM
who sponsors thomas davis they need to be told about the bad publicity

lets hit them GAA ****ers were it hurts

gspain
07/12/2006, 4:04 PM
who sponsors thomas davis they need to be told about the bad publicity

lets hit them GAA ****ers were it hurts

Absolutely way to go

Anybody know who sponsors them? They need a letter writing and phone call campaign

londonhoop
07/12/2006, 4:04 PM
Des kelly carpets.

seand
07/12/2006, 4:16 PM
Excellent... I'll ring Des Kelly and tell them I'm cancelling my order as they are associated with a bunch of fascists.

(Obviously I don't actually have an order with them, but that's beside the point!)

OneRedArmy
07/12/2006, 4:19 PM
Des kelly carpets.How apt.

They clearly know they are beat and are trying to force a delay hoping Rovers will go to the wall in the interrim.

Typical underhanded bogball protectionism on full display.

Great article in today's Indo about attempts of certain county boards to hush up the media about some of the violent club incidents recently.

I just wish the GAA in general would be subject to the same critical scrutiny the EL is.

gspain
07/12/2006, 4:20 PM
Is this correct or is it a wind up? Des Kelly sponsor Bohs.

Schumi
07/12/2006, 4:25 PM
Des kelly carpets.

LOL :D

wws
07/12/2006, 4:27 PM
How apt.

They clearly know they are beat and are trying to force a delay hoping Rovers will go to the wall in the interrim.

Typical underhanded bogball protectionism on full display.

Great article in today's Indo about attempts of certain county boards to hush up the media about some of the violent club incidents recently.

I just wish the GAA in general would be subject to the same critical scrutiny the EL is.

Your post touches on a very real point - the soccer journalists that cover the EL for the Times and the Indo tend to overstate the case for the negative within our game (often in a falsely exaggerated way) - whilst Sean Moran for example in the Times will do anything possible to avoid direct exposure of anything that paints the GAA in too bad a light. This is of critical importance when it comes to drumming up corporate sponsorship.

This season was easily the best on record (Derry's Uefa scalps, fantastic setanta cup and league finals, nail biting title race, corks CL run, Drogs heroics in UEFA, utterly thrilling FAI cup Final)

yet the summary pieces of Malone and the Indo concentrated on the administrative angle (which turned out to be a ball of smoke - as anyone remotely familiar with fai/el arbitration process was only too well aware from the outset).

Would Sean Morans review of the GAA year be so heavily slanted on meaningless angles which ultimately did not lead to a "league of farce" as predicted by the sensationalists?

passerrby
07/12/2006, 4:43 PM
this nails the argument that its about sport or children having a outlet, its about power control and keeping soccer out of south dublin, shame on you GAA

OneRedArmy
07/12/2006, 4:51 PM
Agree totally WWS.

The reason for most journalists taking the easy route of a praise-only approach is that in essence the GAA hasn't changed that much since the 60's when they blackballed critical journos and refused them entry to games.

Whilst the GAA-church axis control of the state isn't what it was 30 or 40 years ago, the tentacles of the GAA still reach all the way around the country (both in rural and urban areas) and the organisation and its members can make it a lonely place for a journalist who is deemed to be critical of the organisation. This is reinforced by the GAA's inbuilt defensive mentality as the guardian of all things Irish which means that despite its assertions to the contrary, under the surface it remains inherently xenophobic, particularly against all things British ( ie towards soccer and to a lesser extent rugby).

Ergo if you are deemed to be overly critical to the GAA you can suddenly be seen as almost a traitor and anti-Irish in your views.

Its ironic that its almost de rigeur to criticise the church in modern Ireland (a bandwagon I'm happy to jump on personally) but attempts to criticise the other bastion of Irishness (the GAA) sees you liable to being viewed as committing treason against a protected institution that we somehow should all be thankfully to and say a prayer every night for protecting our nationality.

passerrby
07/12/2006, 4:59 PM
go to any GAA match up or down the country and tell me that thugishness and bullying is not approved of, not only it is approved of its taught in most clubs

Jerry The Saint
07/12/2006, 5:05 PM
yet the summary pieces of Malone and the Indo concentrated on the administrative angle (which turned out to be a ball of smoke - as anyone remotely familiar with fai/el arbitration process was only too well aware from the outset).

Can't blame them for that - the FAI and (almost all) the clubs decided that administrative bullsh!t was more important than on-pitch activities this season.

BohsFans
07/12/2006, 5:17 PM
Des kelly carpets.

quite similar to our own sponsor, Des Kelly Interiors.

Jerry The Saint
07/12/2006, 5:32 PM
quite similar to our own sponsor, Des Kelly Interiors.

Owned by Des Kelly, the Interior man:confused:

Buller
07/12/2006, 5:47 PM
this whole thing really shows up what the gaah are all about, WHY ARENT THE NEWSPAPERS COVERING THIS?????

BohsFans
07/12/2006, 5:54 PM
this whole thing really shows up what the gaah are all about, WHY ARENT THE NEWSPAPERS COVERING THIS?????

They're probably covering this: http://bohsnews.crispynews.com/article/show/45598/GAA_seeks_12m_for_50000seat_stadium_in_Monaghan

strangeirish
07/12/2006, 5:58 PM
The Journo's don't want to miss out on a free meal ticket to croker.

gspain
07/12/2006, 7:13 PM
They're probably covering this: http://bohsnews.crispynews.com/article/show/45598/GAA_seeks_12m_for_50000seat_stadium_in_Monaghan

Good news for Monaghan United then as surely the GAA will be consistent and insist on making the stadium available for all sports. :mad:

Buller
07/12/2006, 7:15 PM
Good news for Monaghan United then as surely the GAA will be consistent and insist on making the stadium available for all sports. :mad:

monaghan utd should bring them to court.... :rolleyes:

Paddyfield
07/12/2006, 10:19 PM
This is just another example of the GAA via Thomas Davis engaging in a sickening act of attempting to destroy Rovers whilst hiding behind a self righteous spin that under due process they have a democratic right to behave in this manner....

I recall that Rovers lined up a friendly against the Dubs in the 90's at The RDS but the GAA blocked it for reasons unknown. It was like a flashback to the 1950's.

Anyone remember what happened?

Mental Man
07/12/2006, 10:29 PM
Surely to christ lads is there anything that we as league of ireland supporters can do to stop this blatant act of pure bigotry,bear in mind the FAI wont open their mouths with this going on cos they dont want to rock the boat with choker being opened up to international matches.
But when did we ever give 2 flying f**ks about the FAI, i say we get a petition going and hand it into some journo who will publish this and not be censored, its disgusting to see this happening, maybe also hand in the petition into the minister of sport showing supporters all across the country are disgusted with the actions of a certain club and sporting organisation which no doubt are backing them to the hilt.
I hope i see the day that the GAA and all the bigots in it die roaring !!

Réiteoir
07/12/2006, 10:46 PM
I recall that Rovers lined up a friendly against the Dubs in the 90's at The RDS but the GAA blocked it for reasons unknown. It was like a flashback to the 1950's.

Anyone remember what happened?

Connected to this - ask any Omagh Town fans about the GAA's role in the moving of a friendly fundraiser for the bomb victims

Réiteoir
07/12/2006, 10:51 PM
ah - here it is - read and be amazed by the sheer selfishness and bigotry of the GAA:

Anger at GAA ban on soccer game in Omagh

by Gerry McLoughlin

The GAA have banned the use of the town's Healy Park for a charity soccer match in aid of the Omagh bomb appeal.

The game between Omagh Town Soccer Club and Manchester United, Liverpool, Celtic or Rangers was due to take place in the New Year.

Omagh Town Soccer Club has already written to the GAA — asking for permission to use Healy Park to accommodate the expected 22,000 attendance and maximise the fundraiser.

But Croke Park have ruled out the use of the park because the association would need to change its rules to allow the soccer match to go ahead.

And Croke Park claimed that a special congress to review the All-Ireland hurling championship, next month, could not discuss such a rule.

The Croke Park decision has provoked fury among GAA followers in Omagh.

And the Omagh St Enda's Club are considering defying the Croke Park edict. Many members were particularly angry at the decision, because many of those killed and injured had strong links with the GAA.

Among those killed were Mena Skelton, wife of well-known Tyrone referee Kevin Skelton, and Joleene Marlow, who played with her local club.
St Enda's Club chairman Brendan McAleer said that GAA followers felt strongly that the soccer match should go ahead.

"We believe every rule can be bent. As a committee, we are committed to facilitate anything that will raise funds."

The Omagh GAA official was in no doubt about the consequences of his club defying the GAA hierarchy. And he added that St Enda's Management Committee will have to make members aware of the implications of opposing the Croke Park decision.

"Members are going to take the decision which puts them outside the association they are members of. "The ideal solution would be to obtain the support of enough clubs in Ireland to prompt a change in the rules to facilitate the game," he said.

In the end - they played the games at St Julian's Road - Omagh Town FC's ground in front of crowds of 5,000

BohsFans
07/12/2006, 11:35 PM
ah - here it is - read and be amazed by the sheer selfishness and bigotry of the GAA:

In the end - they played the games at St Julian's Road - Omagh Town FC's ground in front of crowds of 5,000

Where they lost money, did they not? Installing seating etc.

Why didn't they just play it at the GAA stadium anyway?
What would GAA association staff of done? Blocked people from entering the stadium?
If the Omagh GAA officials wanted to, they could have let the game go ahead in Healy Park.

Doesn't excuse the selfishness and bigotry of the GAA though!:rolleyes:

Macy
08/12/2006, 7:10 AM
monaghan utd should bring them to court....
Also Kildare County should launch a bid to have a say in the new ground in Newbridge. Fook fannying around the bigots because of the national team (hardly like they're doing the FAI favour given the rental costs), time for the FAI to start delaying every GAA ground development in the country.

carrickharp
08/12/2006, 7:23 AM
time for the FAI to start delaying every GAA ground development in the country.
Don't think their is any point waiting for the FAI to do anything:rolleyes: but I am also behind Rovers on this, I would be from a strong GAA area and I can't believe what Thomas Davis are doing but I can tell you one thing they have blackend the name of their club forever get into the this century you idiots!

Vitruvian Man
08/12/2006, 8:43 AM
All this anti-GAA bigotry is sickening. When will the mods ever clamp down on this. Scumrocks have no intrinsic right to be sole tenant of a municipal stadium and Thomas Davis are entitled to due process in the law.

OneRedArmy
08/12/2006, 8:54 AM
All this anti-GAA bigotry is sickening. When will the mods ever clamp down on this. Until the site is renamed footandhandpass.ie hopefully never.

hoops1
08/12/2006, 8:56 AM
All this anti-GAA bigotry is sickening. When will the mods ever clamp down on this. Scumrocks have no intrinsic right to be sole tenant of a municipal stadium and Thomas Davis are entitled to due process in the law.

Look up the word Municipal in the dictionary, Good man

pól-dcfc
08/12/2006, 8:58 AM
Look up the word Municipal in the dictionary, Good man

Definitions of Municipal on the Web:
Solid Waste: More commonly known as trash or garbage, it consists of everyday items such as product packaging, grass clippings, furniture, clothing, bottles, food scraps, newspapers, appliances, paint, and batteries.
learn.islandwood.org/wade/glossary.htm

I think theres been a lot of municipal spoken by the gah on this one...

ciaraa
08/12/2006, 9:01 AM
I cant believe that omagh town thing!! I seriously dont know if I can ever go to a gaa match again. Thats unbelievable and truly shocking.

pól-dcfc
08/12/2006, 9:10 AM
I cant believe that omagh town thing!! I seriously dont know if I can ever go to a gaa match again. Thats unbelievable and truly shocking.

We all know that keeping the invaders game out of the bogball parks is alot more important than supporting the families of innocent men, women and children who were cold bloodedly murdered by the RIRA.

Seriously though, my family are all from Omagh and we were very lucky to escape with no injuries on the day the bomb went off. Most of my little cousins were massive GAA fans, but after this whole debacle, just aren't interested anymore. But if the GAA want to keep shooting themselves in the foot, let them.

BohDiddley
08/12/2006, 9:37 AM
The GAA lost yesterday.
(http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1738574&issue_id=14983)

BohDiddley
08/12/2006, 9:45 AM
Not much cogitating there VM. Surely the posts to which you refer are a response to bigotry.
This is a blatant attempt by the best-funded sport in the country, with the most lavish facilities, to snuff out any hope for football in south Dublin. Sheer, dog-in-the-manger spite, in the same league as the Omagh outrage already referred to.
If Davis win this, then Monaghan should indeed go after Clones.

gspain
08/12/2006, 9:58 AM
The GAA and rugby will be able to use Tallaght if Thomas Bigots lose their appeal. They just won't be able to DELAY the project indefinitely.

I believe ladies gaa and other forms can be played on a football pitch. rugby can also be accomodated.

Croek Park got over €140 million of public money so lets not go down that rathole again.

Vitruvian Man
08/12/2006, 10:03 AM
This thread is dovetailing into a discussion of two seperate issues.

On the subject of the municipal (thanks NY Hoop) stadium in Tallaght

Shamrocks had their bite at the cherry.
They used to own the land (which they got for free) but they tried to sell it to fund the football side of things. It was taken back under the control of the local government who are now funding it's construction.

Therefore Thomas Davis are fully entitled to claim they should be allowed to play there. They are a local sporting body just like Shamrocks, in fact even more so because at least they actually play their games in the area.

If you are bigotted against the GAA I can see how this would be very upsetting to you. But any legal and moral right Shamrocks have to sole use of that stadium was pished away with their disgraceful land deal shenanigans.

This isn't an attack on football as people are trying to portray with the spurious "link" to the Omah charity match incident, it's a local squabble over use of public facilities. I wish Shamrocks well in recovering from the mess they made for themselves but I am not feeling any outrage at Thomas Davis legitimately pushing their own interests.

khoop
08/12/2006, 10:17 AM
This thread is dovetailing into a discussion of two seperate issues. On the subject of the municipal (thanks NY Hoop) stadium in Tallaght Shamrocks had their bite at the cherry

Thomas Davis NEVER had ANY need for the Tallaght Stadium. With the Rathcoole and Newbridge GAA stadiums now being planned - they have even less need.

If TD are allowed needlessly elbow their way into a stadium they don't need - then why not the local volleyball and lawn bowling teams aswell??? Let's just hold up the whole project forever, while every crackpot and crank in South Dublin gets involved.

Thanks for reminding us of our old board. We managed to get rid of those useless *****s who were killing our club - we have the club now, but we didn't inherit the stupidity and incompetence.

BohDiddley
08/12/2006, 10:23 AM
This isn't an attack on football
So long as you say so! :D

NY Hoop
08/12/2006, 10:34 AM
The GAA and rugby will be able to use Tallaght if Thomas Bigots lose their appeal. They just won't be able to DELAY the project indefinitely.

I believe ladies gaa and other forms can be played on a football pitch. rugby can also be accomodated.

Croek Park got over €140 million of public money so lets not go down that rathole again.

Not true. The pitch would have to be extended for GAA and that is only possible if the stand is knocked.

The 1991 decision was a disgrace. Rovers had lined up a potentially lucrative double header with Dublin playing Down first followed by Rovers v bohs after.

A side issue on the Omagh matches is that all the moeny went "missing".

You might have seen reference to land the GAA own in Rathcoole in the papers the other day. This is a 26 acre site that they got for free.

Its greed pure and simple. They have no need or right to the stadium in Tallaght. They know it, the minister knows it and the people of Tallaght know it. TD are seeking a ruling from the High Court that will allow them a judicial review. The judge will throw their case out in the new year as they have no case.

Vitruvian I feel sorry at your pathetic attampts at WUMing. Dont know who shamrocks are either.

KOH

ciaraa
08/12/2006, 10:40 AM
Therefore Thomas Davis are fully entitled to claim they should be allowed to play there.

yeah sure they are entitled to claim to play there but why are they going through this process? because they really need somewhere to play? gimme a break. if you actually think this whole episode revolves around the use of the stadium then you are kidding yourself. its the big rich gaa corporation trying to ensure riches for years to come by strategically placing itself with no competitors in the area of SW dublin. its business man! there are no ethics in business especially in ireland so its hard to argue, but this pretence that gaa are using that its for the sporting good of the area is stupid. its all about money im afraid. Shams are (potentially) one of irelands biggest clubs but they are still tiny in comparison to the gaa corporate machine. hopefully david can beat goliath on this one but i have my reservations... money can buy some pretty useful lawyers these days.

Calcio Jack
08/12/2006, 10:42 AM
This isn't an attack on football as people are trying to portray with the spurious "link" to the Omah charity match incident, it's a local squabble over use of public facilities. I wish Shamrocks well in recovering from the mess they made for themselves but I am not feeling any outrage at Thomas Davis legitimately pushing their own interests.[/QUOTE]

In you original post on this matter you refered to Shamrock Rovers as "Scumrocks", now perhaps that was a typing error on your part although to accept that as the reason is difficult. you now appear to adopting the rational mature stance.

I think you are missing the point of this thread. Of course TD's are entitled to use due process and pursue their agenda via the courts.However in the opinion of myself and many others both soccer and GAA supporters , TD's are in reality hiding behind the cloak of "due process" to engage in what is in effect bullying tactics to try and stall the entry of Rovers into Tallaght.

IMO what they are doing is akin to the indivdual who recently challenged his right to a defence in relation to proof of age of conscent, which in effect meant that in the view of his legal team he should of had a charge of statutory rape dismissed on a technicality.

So yes that individual was allowed under due process to pursue his case despite the fact that in the eyes of most people it was "wrong" that he be allowed to do so. What TD's' are engaged in is the same , so stop pretending that it is ok just because under "due process" they are entitled to do so.

Passive
08/12/2006, 11:06 AM
The GAA, led by their puppet Thomas Davis, have no case regarding the Tallaght Stadium, all they have is a legal mechanism to delay the construction of the stadium.

They are doomed to failure on this issue. The only real question is, how long will they attempt to string this sorry mess out?

Mr_T
08/12/2006, 11:47 AM
Shamrocks had their bite at the cherry.
They used to own the land (which they got for free) but they tried to sell it to fund the football side of things. It was taken back under the control of the local government who are now funding it's construction.

Therefore Thomas Davis are fully entitled to claim they should be allowed to play there. They are a local sporting body just like Shamrocks, in fact even more so because at least they actually play their games in the area.

Sorry Virtuvian Man, just scanning threads but have to say that this is total bull****.

The government are perfectly entitled to say that they intend to develop a SOCCER (apologies for using the S word but to avoid confusion) facility in South Dublin without any obligation to provide anything for another totally seperate sport. Thats like saying they aren't allowed to develop swimming pool without making sure the local golf club can be accomodate.

The goverment provide facilities for sport, whether by funding developments of various mutually exclusive sports bodies, or by developing facilities themselves for the general public. If they decide to fund development of Croke Park for the GAA then thats fine, and Soccer or whoever have no divine right to use it. Equally if they build a soccer stadium in South Dublin thats perfectly acceptable and no GAA club (who have recieved hundreds of thousands of Euro for their own developments elsewhere in that area) has any f*cking right to interfere. In doing so they are doing exactly what people in this thread are accusing them of, bigotry and calculated attemtps to block the development of another sport. The Soccer people never came out and said we have to be allowed into Croker as its been funded by the Government, because it would've been bullsh*t.

By your reasoning the a soccer club could challenge the state for developing the national aquatic centre and not including a soccer pitch in it.

Wise up.

TG

Mr_T
08/12/2006, 11:53 AM
yeah sure they are entitled to claim to play there

No. NO. NO they aren't. I'm sick and tired of people giving any legitamacy to the GAA's supposed right to play in a stadium just because the state fund it.

Or that it should accomodate more than one sport just bcasue the state fund it. Ah, sure why don't Portmarncock GC take a case that the new facility in Tallaght doesn't incorporate a driving range!!!

Jesus!

TG

Passive
08/12/2006, 12:53 PM
By your reasoning the a soccer club could challenge the state for developing the national aquatic centre and not including a soccer pitch in it.

Or a soccer club could challenge for access to, oh I don't know, virtually every single GAA stadium in the country on the basis that the State has paid significant sums for their development.

That's the really baffling thing about the GAA's stance on Tallaght - if they were successful, they wouldn't be so much opening a can of worms as an entire vat of snakes.

Of course, the government has already said that if the GAA win their case they will simply refuse to build any stadium in Tallaght, so that also gives an indication of where the self-proclaimed sons of Erin are coming from.

OneRedArmy
08/12/2006, 1:13 PM
While we are at the GAA-bashing, I'm not surprised they have been able to build wonderful stadia allround the country given the widespread abuse of the "expenses" policy to players and particularly in relation to managers receiving salaried payments.

This is theft from the Revenue as it most certainly isn't declared, it is so widespread every punter on the street knows its happening and is talked about openly, yet when former GAA president Peter Quinn was tasked to investigate it, he famously said, "not only could I not find evidence of payments, I couldn't even find the tables they were paid under".

How many articles have the Business Post and Tribune written on this subject? Yet they manage to so a piece on every winding up order.

Passive
08/12/2006, 1:33 PM
How many articles have the Business Post and Tribune written on this subject? Yet they manage to so a piece on every winding up order.

In defence of the press, the winding-up order stories are on foot of a revenue investigation into underpayment (and non-payment) of tax bills by Eircom League clubs. As far as I know, there is no such investigation into GAA clubs, although I think you're right in saying that there should be one.

A big problem is that 'soccer' journalists chase news stories (as they should), whereas GAA writers are notoriously reluctant to criticise anything to do with their beloved association. Most GAA writers are little more than press officers for the self-styled defenders of the nation.

gspain
08/12/2006, 2:26 PM
While we are at the GAA-bashing, I'm not surprised they have been able to build wonderful stadia allround the country given the widespread abuse of the "expenses" policy to players and particularly in relation to managers receiving salaried payments.

This is theft from the Revenue as it most certainly isn't declared, it is so widespread every punter on the street knows its happening and is talked about openly, yet when former GAA president Peter Quinn was tasked to investigate it, he famously said, "not only could I not find evidence of payments, I couldn't even find the tables they were paid under".

I believe there has been a changing of the guard very recently in the Revenue. No idea of who held the post in the past but the person with responsibility for Sport now would not be a GAA man. He is very much a football man.

In fairness to the Revenue most of the blame lies with the football clubs rather than the revenue.

As for the GAA managers well the Revenue have strict rules on expenses and you can't earn €100K pa without proper receipts etc etc. Strict rules apply to mileage etc as well. A revenue audit would be interesting. it is surprising that they've got away with it for so long.