PDA

View Full Version : John Sheridan

Pages : [1] 2 3

republicofwhite
07/12/2006, 3:53 PM
John Sheridan has just scooped Manager of the Month Award for November after guiding Oldham to maximum points during the month. No tongue in cheek intended but surely he's already got more credentials than Stan!!:D
Fast track to the Hot Seat!

DmanDmythDledge
07/12/2006, 5:01 PM
Any body that has managed a game in their life has more credentials than Stan...

OwlsFan
08/12/2006, 5:43 PM
Glad to see an ex-Wednesdayite do well. The Owls sack their managers every 12 months or so and I would deem it more likely he'll be managing in Sheffield before he'll be Ireland manager.

jebus
08/12/2006, 5:53 PM
Glad to see an ex-Wednesdayite do well. The Owls sack their managers every 12 months or so and I would deem it more likely he'll be managing in Sheffield before he'll be Ireland manager.

There was quite a call for him to take over before Laws got on board with the Owls alright, so I'd say he'll be next in the hot seat after Laws gets sacked for only guiding us to 8th place in or first season back in the Premier next year! :D

as_i_say
08/12/2006, 9:19 PM
didnt even know he was a manager-what a great player though-could pass some ball.

OwlsFan
09/12/2006, 8:33 AM
...and he scored the goal that got us to USA '94 in the 1-3 defeat by Spain (not to mention the winner in the League Cup Final against Man U in 1991 - Wednesday's only major trophy in 60 years).

Lovely passer of the ball - didn't really have the legs to be a box to box midfielder as required by Jack.

Stuttgart88
06/01/2007, 8:23 PM
Has anyone noticed how well his team has done even since this thread was started?

Oldham have been on a great run in the last few weeks.

jebus
08/01/2007, 2:16 PM
Has anyone noticed how well his team has done even since this thread was started?

Oldham have been on a great run in the last few weeks.

I doubt we can take all the credit for their run though ;)

OwlsFan
09/01/2007, 7:04 AM
It is certainly worth while watching his progress as a manager as we don't exactly have too many ex-Irish internationals in management these days. Strange how so few of the Irish team of the 1980-90s are in management. Aldo made a good fist of it at Tranmere - still can't understand how Stan got the Irish job ahead of him.

Kingdom
09/01/2007, 7:25 AM
Seen an article somewhere on Sheri rollicking some young fella for doing part time acting. In fairness to him he's been coach at Oldham for a while and had a spell as caretaker before. Oddly I've seen a few of their matches and they do play nice football.

galwayhoop
09/01/2007, 9:14 AM
Strange how so few of the Irish team of the 1980-90s are in management.

it is strange really when you consider that it was a very vocal bunch and appeared to have a fair few leaders.

can only think of mccarthy, stan & keane. i believe Trigger is doing his uefa A badge shortly so may get the irish job after stan :D .

there's a few in coaching but very few in management esically if you compare with ingerlund who had only a very average team during the same period but have loads of managers out of it.

endabob1
09/01/2007, 10:06 AM
Went to see Oldham in the 1st round of the Cup, they were very average and just scrapped past a Conference North side. Very reliant on good set pieces, but a lot of league sides do when playing non-league teams, it's where the full-time hours spent practising moves really shows up.
Always rated him as a player and Oldham are going well hopefully he gets them up and maybe lands a bigger job.

Billsthoughts
10/01/2007, 6:43 PM
think townsend would have been the obvious contender. brady seems to have found his niche. aldo would have been a good choice for ireland job given paucity of options available. whelan did okay.....ish...o leary turned out to be incapable of gettin on with anyone..

Den Perry
13/01/2007, 9:19 PM
as a Leeds and Ireland fan, John Sheridan was my hero growing up (I beven stated it in my Frosties secret diary - anybody else got one of them?). I hope Oldham go up, then he gets the job at Elland Rd....

Noelys Guitar
13/01/2007, 11:26 PM
I always liked the way Sheridan played. Remember his great goal against Holland in a away friendly. Hit the crossbar against Italy in 94 (Keane pass). Now doing a good job in charge of Oldham. By the way does anyone on this board know ANYONE who believes Staunton is a good manager? I have asked everyone I know who is involved in football in anyway fom Crumlin to Cork to Pennsylvania and have yet to meet anyone who believes Stan knows what he is doing.

Billsthoughts
13/01/2007, 11:55 PM
I always liked the way Sheridan played. Remember his great goal against Holland in a away friendly. Hit the crossbar against Italy in 94 (Keane pass). .

was it not tommy coyne who scored away to holland? just before usa 94?
could be wrong

Noelys Guitar
14/01/2007, 4:02 AM
could be wrong

I'm almost certain it was Whelan cross to Sheridan.

pineapple stu
14/01/2007, 9:47 AM
Nope, Tommy Coyne goal.

OwlsFan
15/01/2007, 1:19 PM
Wrexham is another club to watch out for with Brian Carey in control until the end of the season.

OwlsFan
16/03/2009, 9:06 AM
Disappointed to see Sheridan part company with Oldham. I had high hopes for him as he wasn't doing a bad job there. Just off the play offs but a thumping at the weekend and talk of player misbehaviour on a night out seems to have been the final straw for the manager.

jbyrne
16/03/2009, 12:14 PM
Disappointed to see Sheridan part company with Oldham. I had high hopes for him as he wasn't doing a bad job there. Just off the play offs but a thumping at the weekend and talk of player misbehaviour on a night out seems to have been the final straw for the manager.

think i heard there was trouble at a fans night that he and a player were in attendance

Scram
16/03/2009, 12:18 PM
think i heard there was trouble at a fans night that he and a player were in attendance

Eh, yeah!

Rumoured to have put a player in a head lock.

tetsujin1979
16/03/2009, 12:35 PM
it wasn't a fans night, it was a team night out at the dogs

Manc Irish Wolf
16/03/2009, 1:24 PM
Apparently it was a team-building exercise at Belle Vue when a few of the players got a bit too stuck into the bevvies resulting in Sean Gregan trading punches with their winger Taylor and Lee Hughes getting Sheridan in a headlock. Nothing like commanding respect.

Pity, had high hopes for Sheridan, however looking at the pre-fracas build up it looks like Sheridan is trying to be one of the lads too much. Maybe he'll learn from it, however assembling a team with Highes, Gregan and Windass in his never going to be the most disciplined. I'm pinning our future hopes on Owen Coyle or Jim Gannon.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1101294_oldham_stars_in_sack_threat_

pineapple stu
18/03/2009, 1:00 PM
Talk of the manager being involved too, I thought I read somewhere?

Edit - disregard; didn't see the second page!

Closed Account 2
18/03/2009, 3:10 PM
Apparently there was a massive set to at the dogs. Basically it seems the whole of Oldham FC (except the fans) was on the lash and, cutting to the chase, a bit of a fracas erupted

backstothewall
18/03/2009, 6:02 PM
could be wrong

I have that game on tape somewhere. don't have a VCR to play it on mind. it was one of Kevin Morans last starts as a i remember.

I'm sure Sheridan will get another job after the good work he did with Oldham. And he will have learned from the experience. He's learning his trade the right way.

elroy
18/03/2009, 11:07 PM
I have that game on tape somewhere. don't have a VCR to play it on mind. it was one of Kevin Morans last starts as a i remember.

I'm sure Sheridan will get another job after the good work he did with Oldham. And he will have learned from the experience. He's learning his trade the right way.

Im almost certain it was Coyne as well, one nil win away from home i think.
There is a really good website which I know i have bookmarked somewhere but cant find it now that lists has all the details of Irish games going back years, starting XI, subs, scorers, match reports etc

tetsujin1979
18/03/2009, 11:30 PM
Yep, was Tommy Coyne
elroy, is this the site: http://www.soccerscene.ie/sssenior/matchdetails.php?id=296 ??

third policeman
19/03/2009, 8:07 AM
Think the Holland game was Owen Coyle's one and only cap as a late sub.

Wolfie
19/03/2009, 8:17 AM
We beat Holland, Germany and Italy in the space of 3 months!!

Admittedly two of them were friendlies but impressive all the same.

Drumcondra 69er
19/03/2009, 8:52 AM
We beat Holland, Germany and Italy in the space of 3 months!!

Admittedly two of them were friendlies but impressive all the same.

All away from Lansdowne and all. Shame we lost to Holland when it really mattered in the States though.

The friendly against Holland was definitely Owen Coyle's only cap, thought he might have been worth a place in the squad myself with Quinn being injured and Cas not being fully fit, he was quality for Bolton at the time.

geysir
19/03/2009, 9:24 AM
Jack wanted a runner like Tommy Coyne not an ace goal poacher like Owen Coyle.

Though Coyle even now looks supremly fit enough (in those games for the old timers), to run all day for Ireland.

elroy
19/03/2009, 10:41 AM
Yep, was Tommy Coyne
elroy, is this the site: http://www.soccerscene.ie/sssenior/matchdetails.php?id=296 ??

Thats the one, great site.

I remember the Irish public in general were very optimistic of beating the Dutch in the WC purely as a result of this friendly. In reality we were well beaten by them in the WC.

Razors left peg
20/03/2009, 7:32 PM
I dont in any way mean to have a go at Sheridan here because he does look like he has the potential to be a decent manager, but I have to laugh a bit at some of the reaction (or lack of reaction) to his sacking. I can just imagine the hysteria from some people on this website if it was Roy Keane that was sacked after gettin involved in a punch up with some of his players. There were even people claiming on the Roy Keane thread that is should be moved to world football because he is not a current international. And John Sheridan is only getting well wishes for his future career in management

OwlsFan
21/03/2009, 7:10 AM
I dont in any way mean to have a go at Sheridan here because he does look like he has the potential to be a decent manager, but I have to laugh a bit at some of the reaction (or lack of reaction) to his sacking. I can just imagine the hysteria from some people on this website if it was Roy Keane that was sacked after gettin involved in a punch up with some of his players. There were even people claiming on the Roy Keane thread that is should be moved to world football because he is not a current international. And John Sheridan is only getting well wishes for his future career in management

Let's not turn this in to a Roy Keane thread. I was one of the people who was surprised that there should be a thread about Keane walking out on Sunderland in the Ireland forum but what's good for the goose is sauce.....I like Sheridan. Good manager, played for Wednesday and good irish player and I wish him well.

Razors left peg
22/03/2009, 9:08 AM
Let's not turn this in to a Roy Keane thread. I was one of the people who was surprised that there should be a thread about Keane walking out on Sunderland in the Ireland forum but what's good for the goose is sauce.....I like Sheridan. Good manager, played for Wednesday and good irish player and I wish him well.

I agree with u about Sheridan, I was just making the point is all

OwlsFan
12/06/2009, 10:05 AM
Good to see Sheridan back in management and good luck to him at Chesterfield:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11750_5370762,00.html

I expect him to take the reins at Hillsboro some day and then perhaps......

Duggie
12/06/2009, 10:07 AM
good to see sheridan back in management and good luck to him at chesterfield:

i expect him to take the reins at hillsboro some day and then perhaps......

dont.......

Wolfie
12/06/2009, 12:20 PM

..................Patriotic Scotsman Owen Coyle will be appointed as Ireland Manager.................

Deckydee
13/06/2009, 12:36 PM

I second that

Deckydee
04/06/2011, 6:15 PM
Just read now that he was named LMA Manager of the Year for npower League Two!

http://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10435~2365629,00.html

backstothewall
28/08/2012, 9:46 AM
Just got the boot after 4 games, despite winning the Johnstones Paint trophy last season. Crazy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19396772

OwlsFan
28/08/2012, 1:33 PM
Disappointed to see that. I think the problem was not just the 4 games but they were relegated last season. I had high hopes for John as he had done reasonably well with both Oldham and Chesterfield and I thought he was going to go further in his managerial career. I won't write him off yet though.

Kingdom
06/11/2014, 11:02 PM
ugh, don't know why I do this, but anyway, I've been trying to track down as much online videos of John Sheridan as I can. I've followed his managerial career as much as I can, and he's doing quite well down at Plymouth, they've had a very good start to the season, and Sheridan is up for Manager of the Month. I'd love to see him work his way up to Championship.

I didn't really get to see much of him at club football. Bloody hell Sheridan was a sweet ball player, and scored some absolutely smashing goals down through the years. a Player of his ability in the middle of the pitch now would be fantastic.

Fixer82
06/11/2014, 11:18 PM
Sheridan was a beautiful footballer. Great technique, could spot a pass and really could belt a ball too

BonnieShels
06/11/2014, 11:29 PM
Himself and David Kelly were idols of mine growing up.

John was a cracking player.

Fixer82
07/11/2014, 12:39 AM
Kelly was a bit unlucky not to play a bit more.
As was Sheridan actually until the '94 qualifiers.

paul_oshea
07/11/2014, 7:49 AM
Himself and David Kelly were idols of mine growing up.

John was a cracking player.

Were you an unused bit part player as well then? They were your inspiration. :P

I think there is a bit of revisionism going on here.Sheridan wqs good but nothing above that.breaking into top clubs for our players was easy enough back then, and many of our better players did.

BonnieShels
07/11/2014, 8:37 AM
Phew. I was worried you'd not get involved here.

Thanks for fixing my memories.

:P