PDA

View Full Version : Alan O'Brien

cavan_fan
06/12/2006, 3:21 PM
Newcastle (from): Given, Srnicek, Carr, Solano, Taylor, Ramage, Huntington, Babayaro, Butt, Emre, N'Zogbia, Milner, Pattison, Troisi, Gate, Edgar, Martins, Sibierski, Luque, Rossi, Carroll.

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder:
"None of us at the club have ever been involved in an injury-hit squad as bad as this.
"Honestly, most managers when they talk about bare bones, they are talking about being down to the last 16.

"I have not said anything yet and we are basically down to 10 senior players. The team picks itself for the match against Reading."

And yet still no room for O'Brien. How many injuries would it take before he did get called up?

By the way surprised we didnt have a thread about him already!

AustinoAsprilla
06/12/2006, 5:06 PM
Probably another 21 or else a change of managment... Bring in someone like Stan the man and he could well be stupid enough to pick O'Brien... Fastest way to get away from the Relegation Zone!

lim abroad
06/12/2006, 5:47 PM
He probably has a race meet that weekend for the newcastle harriers,he's very fast you know:p

republicofwhite
07/12/2006, 3:40 PM
Clearly not making any impact whastoever. Apparently he made no impact for Carlisle when he went there on loan. Roeder playing it safe so...

pete
08/12/2006, 1:21 PM
Staunton clearly listens to his advisers too much. O'Brien i think now has maybe 5 international caps but will be lucky to get in the irish U21 team next year...

:rolleyes: :confused:

republicofwhite
12/12/2006, 5:32 PM
Apparently Alan O'Brien is actually injured att the moment...So If this is true maybe we've been harsh on saying "oh he still can't get near the team even with a mountain of injuries"

Irish_Praha
13/12/2006, 6:25 PM
He's on the bench for Newcastle tonight alongside the 9.5m Luque.
Maybe he'll get 10 mins at the end to run around like a headless chicken. Or myabe he'll be a super sub and prove us all wrong!:eek:

carloz
13/12/2006, 7:37 PM
Charles N'Zogbia 9who was playing left wing) gets a bad injury just before half time, the perfect opportunity for O'Brien you would think. But no, Matthew Pattison, some south African i have not heard about instead replaces him

republicofwhite
13/12/2006, 8:17 PM
I have a feeling Pattison is a defender aswell...

cavan_fan
13/12/2006, 8:29 PM
No he's a left winger

republicofwhite
13/12/2006, 8:55 PM
Thanks..Mixing him up with your man Huntington I think...

pete
14/12/2006, 11:53 AM
At least O'Brien got some big game bench experience.

gustavo
14/12/2006, 11:56 AM
The poor guy is a walking embodiement of Stan's incompetence:(

Irish_Praha
02/01/2007, 2:08 PM
He was still only warming the bench last night and Newcastle have about 10 players injured. He should be nowhere near the Irish squad. IMO he needs to change club or go out on loan and get a few competitive games under his belt first before being recalled.

youngirish
02/01/2007, 2:45 PM
Stokes, Garvan, Long, Clarke, Mc Shane, Mc Cann, Tabb, Keogh, Foley - Staunton recognised potential talent in the young Alan O'Brien before any of the aforemention players when he brought him on as a sub against the Dutch and the Germans (granted Mc Shane now has a cap but he didn't then).

Isn't this fact alone a bit frightening and speaks volumes for his (lack of) judgement?

On the subject for our next match against San Marino he should draft Garvan and Stokes into the squad.

4tothefloor
02/01/2007, 6:48 PM
On the subject for our next match against San Marino he should draft Garvan and Stokes into the squad.
He will if Bobby Robson tells him to ;)

Qwerty
02/01/2007, 10:06 PM
What's frightening is he picked him for a squad without ever seeing him play - after all how could he?

O'Brien has pace to burn but very unsure about his vision and passing/crossing ability. The only use I can see for him would be away from home where we would expect to be under a lot of pressure, he could run around and make a general nuisance of himself and we might be able to use his speed on the counter attack in open space, this is one area of our play which is pretty much non-existant right now and for quite a few years.

If I were the Ireland coach I would be putting a lot of work into counter-attacking. It is something we never seemto do.

dodgycanadian
06/01/2007, 8:21 PM
O'brien played a half today against birmingham, anyone see how he did?

dr_peepee
07/01/2007, 6:50 AM
Whiley Coyote left a pile of bird seed around the penalty area with an anvil hanging above it. O'Brien ran over bent down and took a nibble before speeding off.... Whiley went to inspect said bird seed and the anvil promptly fell on his head..

Closed Account
07/01/2007, 1:18 PM
You mean he beat the Offside Anvil Trap? Pick this man for Ireland Stan

eirebhoy
20/01/2007, 1:50 PM
O'Brien starts today. :eek: I guess I wasn't the only one to feel sorry for him on Wednesday. :)

Closed Account
20/01/2007, 1:51 PM
Surely its some sort of mistake? Is Stephen Carr playing Centre Half?

feo123
20/01/2007, 11:41 PM
was he not left back? huntington and ramage centre back?

gustavo
21/01/2007, 12:44 AM
Carr was left back yeah , hopefully he will be left back in Newcastle in future for Ireland games:)

irishfan86
21/01/2007, 7:20 PM
He had a horrible start to the game but warmed up as time went on.

He actually made a few nice plays in the second half once he got over his nerves, and looks decent.

Also hit a good strike which went off the post.

I wouldn't write him off yet Eirebhoy, just because Stan threw him into the fire doesn't mean he's altogether ****e.

Closed Account
16/07/2007, 11:59 AM
Good start for O'Brien at Hibs, lots of mentions of Pace?

http://www.hibs.co.uk/news/more.php?id=2266_0_1_0_C

Hibernian then rang more changes with Stevenson, O’Brien and Hogg replacing Benjelloun, Glass and McCormack. The introduction of O’Brien meant a switch from the left side of the field to the right for Zemmama who was having an excellent game.

Hogg’s first involvement was almost an embarrassing one as his diving header to clear a Stirling cross almost ended up in the back of his own net but thankfully the ball fell the wrong side of the post giving the home side a corner kick, from which Ma-Kalambay saved well from a Nugent header. Zemmama then shot wide from twenty yards after fine build up play involving Beuzelin. It was the little Moroccan’s last involvement in the game as Gray soon replaced him.

Hogarth then punched clear a Hibs corner but only as far as Chisholm, the Hibernian skipper for the day hit a powerful effort but could not penetrate a ruck of players in the Albion penalty area. Beuzelin then had a shot blocked from twelve yards before Gray curled an effort wide from the edge of the box. An O’Brien run down the left wing caught out the Albion defence and the winger was fouled by Hay but while everyone expected a free kick the Hibs player simply got to his feet and hit a fantastic cross that was volleyed past Hogarth by Donaldson A fantastic goal and a clinical finish that had every one of the 1,200 Hibs fans on their feet to applaud the pace and bravery shown by the winger in particular.

O’Brien once again used his pace to get past Hay and his cross found Gray but the strikers shot was blocked, the ball then fell to Beuzelin who with time to pick his spot scooped his shoot over the bar when most expected him to score. Hay was once again left for dead seconds later as O’Brien used his pace to exploit the right back before crossing for Donaldson but Graham did just enough to deflect the ball wide.

cavan_fan
16/07/2007, 12:11 PM
He's very fast you know, makes you wonder why Mick the Miller got so few caps

Carrigaline
03/05/2012, 12:54 PM
Alan O'Brien has been released from non-league, Gateshead United after a 6 month spell. Bit mad to think that he has 5 international caps. Wonder would he consider moving back to Ireland? He would suit a team like Pat's?

http://tyneandwear.sky.com/gateshead/article/19478

Stuttgart88
03/05/2012, 1:27 PM
He's very fast you know, makes you wonder why Mick the Miller got so few capsAny chance the guys at Coolmore can work on some sort of Ian Harte / Alan O'Brien hybrid?

Olé Olé
03/05/2012, 5:01 PM
Any chance the guys at Coolmore can work on some sort of Ian Harte / Alan O'Brien hybrid?

The result would be Gareth Bale or a player with the propensity to drop down the divisions like Anglo-Irish Bank's share price.

Philly
25/08/2012, 1:00 PM
Alan O'Brien has signed for Hungerford Town FC in the Southern League. Scored on his debut. I don't see a call-up any time soon though...

SkStu
25/08/2012, 2:36 PM
He's awful fast.

drummerboy
25/08/2012, 8:11 PM
Alan O'Brien has signed for Hungerford Town FC in the Southern League. Scored on his debut. I don't see a call-up any time soon though...

Unless Delaney appoints Pat Devlin onto Traps back up team.

tricky_colour
25/08/2012, 11:31 PM
He's awful fast.

The full stop after fast is the problem.