PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon for Ireland?

an_ceannaire
06/12/2006, 1:06 PM
LETS JUST IMAGINE............
The FAI did something ballsy and intelligent for once and courteously asked Stan, who is a legend no matter what, to step aside and the johb became available, does anyone think Fenlon or even Kenny, but especially Fenlon would make a genuine contender? We are not exactly flush with TOP STARS who could look down their nose at him anymore, so lets just say in a dream world Delaney saw sense and did the decent thing, would Fenlon be a runner???

soccerc
06/12/2006, 1:15 PM
would Fenlon be a runner???

Well he ran away from Shels..................................

where's me coat?

BrayUnknowns
06/12/2006, 1:15 PM
Noooooooooooooo

drummerboy
06/12/2006, 1:21 PM
Go back on the medication

joeSoap
06/12/2006, 1:25 PM
STOTM.....figure it out!!

an_ceannaire
06/12/2006, 1:29 PM
why all so negative? and what does TOTM or whatever that was mean..????

endabob1
06/12/2006, 1:37 PM
Well there is a Post Of The Month
I would make a guesss at the S.T. part but as this is a family site...

gustavo
06/12/2006, 2:17 PM
There would be many worse candidates , although I hope the negative reaction is due to the timing of the post rather than any perceived inferiority as regards Fenlons abilitys.

endabob1
06/12/2006, 2:46 PM
Fenlons record domestically is fantastic, 3 titles in 4 years, the CL run a couple of years back, no doubt him and Kenny are (were)the bright young things in the EL.
Transferring success from the EL to the International team is a different kettle of fish, having said that he's more qualified than our current manager.

el punter
06/12/2006, 2:51 PM
I imagine the majority of the current Irish squad would have no idea whatsoever who Pat Fenlon is and would therefore have no respect for him which would lead to unrest in the camp and a generally unworkable situation.

antrimgreen
06/12/2006, 3:25 PM
STOTM.....figure it out!!

STOTM....sh1t talk of the month........100%

eirebhoy
06/12/2006, 3:26 PM
Can Fenlon succeed where Kerr failed? He'd surely be better than Stan.

joeSoap
06/12/2006, 3:29 PM
STOTM....sh1t talk of the month........100%
Well done antrimgreen...your prize is in the post...:D

OwlsFan
06/12/2006, 3:38 PM
Transferring success from the EL to the International team is a different kettle of fish, having said that he's more qualified than our current manager.

Stan played over 100 international games for Ireland so that counts for something and has to be balanced against his lack of managerial experience.

gustavo
06/12/2006, 3:47 PM
Dont agree - Managing and Playing are very different skills , sure it might garner him more respect but that doesnt seem to have had much effect so far.

Billsthoughts
06/12/2006, 4:14 PM
I dont even think Fenlon is that great a manger. didnt he spend a fortune at shels? a fortune they didnt actually have. We dont want another manger who gets the job only to discover you cant buy players at international level.

endabob1
06/12/2006, 4:27 PM
Stan played over 100 international games for Ireland so that counts for something and has to be balanced against his lack of managerial experience.

True, he also coached the Walsall reserves, when the first team were rock bottom of the 3rd tier of English football, not exactly sparkling credentials.
Chris Hughton has over 50 caps and has more coaching experience having been #2 to Kerr at International level and Jol at premiership level, no one was calling for him to get the job though.
The point generally being that Fenlons credentials are certainly no worse than the current manager.

pineapple stu
06/12/2006, 4:35 PM
I don't even think Fenlon is that great a manger. Didn't he spend a fortune at shels?
My view too.

[Spent a fortune on wages, not transfer fees, obviously, before any Shels fans start complaining again].

Would have said STOTM was Stupid Thread on the Month - suitable for families and all!

Jerry The Saint
07/12/2006, 1:42 AM
Funnily enough, Fenlon wanted Aldridge to get the job after McCarthy. Dolan called him out for not backing Kerr and he admitted that he never even considered that a manager with an LOI background would have a chance of getting the job.

Unfortunately, in the manner that he got rid of Kerr, Delaney made it clear that he doesn't recognise managerial experience gained in Ireland.

tetsujin1979
07/12/2006, 9:20 AM
Unfortunately, in the manner that he got rid of Kerr, Delaney made it clear that he doesn't recognise managerial experience gained in Ireland.

I don't think the way Kerr lost his position had anything to do with the managerial experience he gained in Ireland.

Lionel Ritchie
07/12/2006, 10:57 AM

I think the acid test for whether that counts for anything is to consider, seriously, would any other country on earth have him as their manager -just because he played 102 times for Ireland.

I believe the answer is no.

Why didn't Antiqua or Burkino Faso try to snap up someone with that amount of international experience as soon as he came available? Possibly because relative to actual managerial experience -even the part timers of Antiqua realise caps count for jack-sh1t?

TonyD
07/12/2006, 12:45 PM
I don't think the way Kerr lost his position had anything to do with the managerial experience he gained in Ireland.

Don'tcha ? I would have said it had a lot to do with it. Not saying Fenlon should be manager, but he woud definitely run up against the "who the hell are you ?" school of thinking from our "stars" Never mind the fact that very few of them have earned the right to such an attitude.

pineapple stu
07/12/2006, 12:46 PM
I think there's a definite Pat's/non-Pat's split in the views on Brian Kerr!

tetsujin1979
07/12/2006, 3:05 PM
Don'tcha ? I would have said it had a lot to do with it. Not saying Fenlon should be manager, but he woud definitely run up against the "who the hell are you ?" school of thinking from our "stars" Never mind the fact that very few of them have earned the right to such an attitude.

It's possible that lack of knowledge/respect of Kerr from the senior players (i.e. the ones he didn't work with in the underage setup) was a factor in the beginning. I remember Holland saying in an interview that he didn't know much about Kerr when he was appointed, but he knew who he was because he was always around at training sessions, catching up with his former charges.
After 4 years, the players knew him, his methods, and his failings. It was these failings that lost him the job, at that stage whatever he had learned from working in the eircom League would have been a minimal factor, if it even was one.

<EDIT>
I would take your point the Delaney has little respect for current managers in the eL, why were none of them approached for the Ireland job, ahead of Staunton? I'm not saying one of them should be manager, even Fenlon, but it would have at least shown some degree of recognition to the league.

DmanDmythDledge
07/12/2006, 5:10 PM
Personally I think Kenny would be better than Fenlon. Fenlon took over a team who were on of the best in the league, while Kenny took over a team who were extremely lucky not to be relegated and had a smaller budget.

Lack of managerial skill would be a better.

And the amount of international games he's played counts for nothing.