PDA

View Full Version : Football in Shannon

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Goals4fun
06/12/2006, 7:25 AM
as it seems there are loads of people from shannon posting, bitching about each other, giving out about possible amalgamations, stealing players ,

rather than hijacking other rlevant threads, i thought to open a thread for these boys to play in....have fun :D

parkfan
06/12/2006, 12:19 PM
anyone want to predict their best 11 at present in shannon... not best individuals but best balanced team..

1: Skinny
2: Tom oHare
3: Gareth Quirke
4: Darren Griffin
5: Derek Bryne
6: Donnacha Kelly
7: Ryan Kelly
8: Davy Wall
9: Cheeky
10:Gerry Kelly
11:Jimmy Hollahan

Goals4fun
06/12/2006, 12:54 PM
anyone want to predict their best 11 at present in shannon... not best individuals but best balanced team..

hacker are you talking about junior players, playing in shannon , living only in shannon or have played with shannon clubs for a number of years ?

Goals4fun
06/12/2006, 1:00 PM
it might be best putting a list of 3 players together for each position and then picking your best,

I wonder would anybody consider getting a team/squad together and trying to go over to France to play Guingamp as they are twinned with shannon. Would be a cool thing to do and might be some early steps in getting a cracking team together to represent shannon !!:cool:

parkfan
06/12/2006, 2:44 PM
it might be best putting a list of 3 players together for each position and then picking your best,

I wonder would anybody consider getting a team/squad together and trying to go over to France to play Guingamp as they are twinned with shannon. Would be a cool thing to do and might be some early steps in getting a cracking team together to represent shannon !!:cool:

thats a cracking idea but guincamp were in la chapionat bout 5 years ago werent they. it might be a bit of a mismatch.. is there even three players worth choosing from in shannon...

Goals4fun
06/12/2006, 3:07 PM
thats a cracking idea but guincamp were in la chapionat bout 5 years ago werent they. it might be a bit of a mismatch.. is there even three players worth choosing from in shannon...

they have a reserve side. It would be good but probably the biggest question , who would be manager ? Now i can see the arguments, pick the newtown lads to manage the team thay have the best team..... pick the shannon town manager as his team plays 1a in limerick..... pick olympic manager as he would not be biased..... pikc the park manager as he has had a few good players over the last few years.... it would all end like the amalgamations, down the drain. maybe one of the seasoned players could do it? or somebody will local knowledge but no link to any team (where could you find somebody like that)

thecritic
06/12/2006, 3:17 PM
Lads dont be talking a load of crap when the real soccer people of shannon tried to amalgamate all the clubs into one . some so called members of diferent clubs did,nt want to change there name had better facilitys than others then there was the specials who promised lots then renaged and newtown lads who didn.t like the name rangers . what a load of rubbish thats why there there will never be an FAI or a national schoolboy trophy comeing to shannon

parkfan
06/12/2006, 9:19 PM
Lads dont be talking a load of crap when the real soccer people of shannon tried to amalgamate all the clubs into one . some so called members of diferent clubs did,nt want to change there name had better facilitys than others then there was the specials who promised lots then renaged and newtown lads who didn.t like the name rangers . what a load of rubbish thats why there there will never be an FAI or a national schoolboy trophy comeing to shannon

I know the real soccer people of shannon being park and newtown had rubber stamped the idea jersey colors and all rhubarb and blue, barca colors if you prefer. i believe from talking to the man who started the talks that it came down to players.... some of whom were afraid to lose their A team status... Do you think the players should have had as much input?!!.

Goals4fun
07/12/2006, 7:07 AM

i totally agree there, and i think it is a biog shame and a massive mistake. Just look at wolfe tones and st senans and how they are doing.

Goals4fun
07/12/2006, 7:08 AM
I know the real soccer people of shannon being park and newtown had rubber stamped the idea jersey colors and all rhubarb and blue, barca colors if you prefer. i believe from talking to the man who started the talks that it came down to players.... some of whom were afraid to lose their A team status... Do you think the players should have had as much input?!!.

i also believe that it came down to who was manager of the 'A' team and also what was the best pitch.

old git
07/12/2006, 8:48 AM
i also believe that it came down to who was manager of the 'A' team and also what was the best pitch.

this is dead & buried .. and talked about / rumours about ..etc

did ballbreaker not post ages ago outlining what happend on this amalagamation... check under clare league posts :p :p

parkfan
07/12/2006, 8:54 AM
this is dead & buried .. and talked about / rumours about ..etc

did ballbreaker not post ages ago outlining what happend on this amalagamation... check under clare league posts :p :p

old git it was a legendary member of your club who told me what happened. is what i said above correct also it no fault of newtowns..

Goals4fun
07/12/2006, 10:27 AM
old git it was a legendary member of your club who told me what happened. is what i said above correct also it no fault of newtowns..

everybody involved was at fault as it did not succeed. The amount of blame can vary.
It is still shocking to have 4 clubs in shannon and not one with a fantastic team but all with the sprinkle of good players !

old git
07/12/2006, 11:00 AM
everybody involved was at fault as it did not succeed. The amount of blame can vary.
It is still shocking to have 4 clubs in shannon and not one with a fantastic team but all with the sprinkle of good players !

too much politics .. you could add bunratty / rinnanna / newmarket
and think of 1 team you could have ,,, also same problems around ennis ... how many new teams have appeared over the years ..:D

parkfan
07/12/2006, 12:23 PM
too much politics .. you could add bunratty / rinnanna / newmarket
and think of 1 team you could have ,,, also same problems around ennis ... how many new teams have appeared over the years ..:D

you couldnt add in newmarket and bunratty or the bridge what role do they play in shannon soccer... there should only be one team in shannon, and if people feel this strongly why dont the men at the top off all the clubs just get together and sort out there differences... shannon town began it, park broke off. then newtown wanted theyre own club, finally so did olympic.. thats how it began so we can only blame the older men for these problems and only thinking of themselves

smellyfeet
07/12/2006, 12:48 PM
This story of all clubs getting together has been going on for far too long.
It didn't happen and won't happen so why is it still been talked about.

For people to go blaming the "older men" is not right at all, these "older men" wanted and tried to get a good soccer club in shannon insread of 4 very average teams not even competing at the later stage's of National competion.

old git
07/12/2006, 1:06 PM
you couldnt add in newmarket and bunratty or the bridge what role do they play in shannon soccer... there should only be one team in shannon, and if people feel this strongly why dont the men at the top off all the clubs just get together and sort out there differences... shannon town began it, park broke off. then newtown wanted theyre own club, finally so did olympic.. thats how it began so we can only blame the older men for these problems and only thinking of themselves

how many shanon players ended up with clubs above at some stage

there was only 1 team in shannon ( shannon town ) with a greaT UNDERAGE SET UP... AND THEY HAD THE PICK OF PLAYERS IN SHANNON many years ago BUT YET PEOPLE STILL WANTED TO DO THIER OWN THING FOOTBALL WISE
you cannot blame older men for creating problems ... these things happen and i am sure these people are held in high esteem by anybody involved in park / newtown / olympic .. WHO KNOWS WITH THE CURRENT POPULATION IN SHANNON A NEW CLUB MAY APPEAR IN THE FUTURE ...:eek:

Goals4fun
07/12/2006, 2:38 PM
WHO KNOWS WITH THE CURRENT POPULATION IN SHANNON A NEW CLUB MAY APPEAR IN THE FUTURE ...:eek:

probably more realistic than ever having one club !!!:rolleyes:

old git
07/12/2006, 4:28 PM
probably more realistic than ever having one club !!!:rolleyes:

would agree with you on that :) :)

Lev Yashin
08/12/2006, 11:16 AM

interesting choice!
how many of these have you played with or actually watched playing?
if its people who have played soccer in shannon what about damien"dux" o'rourke who could play in any position there?

Goals4fun
08/12/2006, 11:37 AM
interesting choice!
if its people who have played soccer in shannon what about damien"dux" o'rourke who could play in any position there?

is he back ?

Lev Yashin
08/12/2006, 11:47 AM
is he back ?

No, will be back in the summer but i think he is going to go down to cork

Goals4fun
09/12/2006, 5:18 PM
brendu hughes is going back playing junior football, another excellent player from shannon

the only 1
09/12/2006, 9:05 PM
brendu hughes is going back playing junior football, another excellent player from shannon

probally go 2 fairview or boro for money

parkfan
10/12/2006, 10:34 AM
interesting choice!

dux is in america mate playing as a pro. class act played with him for many years pity it didnt work out for him at cork or at the foxes.. played with 9 of them players gerry kelly and skinny the only two i have not played with.. if ya wer going to get picky like that then what about pa and philly purcell jamie cullen john call etc..

el_nino84
11/12/2006, 9:30 AM
yeah with the constant increase in the shannon population, and the amount of foreigners here also it wouldnt be a surprise if a new club appears.

Lev Yashin
11/12/2006, 7:11 PM
yeah with the constant increase in the shannon population, and the amount of foreigners here also it wouldnt be a surprise if a new club appears.

would be better to try and intigrate them rather than start a new club as we already have too many...

Ice-man
11/12/2006, 10:55 PM
Skinny / Wheelers - Come on, Wheelers is 100 times better
Darren Ryan - Class act
Scales - Outstanding

Or is it just players that are playing in Shannon at this moment and time?

old git
12/12/2006, 10:21 AM
Skinny / Wheelers - Come on, Wheelers is 100 times better
Darren Ryan - Class act
Scales - Outstanding

Or is it just players that are playing in Shannon at this moment and time?

would agree on 2 of above ,,

darren ryan .. jury still out.. if he can stay of the beer on a saturday night and give 100% over a season ;)

Goals4fun
12/12/2006, 10:37 AM
dux is in america mate playing as a pro. class act played with him for many years pity it didnt work out for him at cork or at the foxes.. played with 9 of them players gerry kelly and skinny the only two i have not played with.. if ya wer going to get picky like that then what about pa and philly purcell jamie cullen john call etc..

at this rate you could have a team of players playing in shannon and those who are playing outside shannon,
the ones i know outside shannon are,

Darren Whelan
Brendy Hughes
Jamie cullen
Darren Ryan
Philip Purcell
Pat Purcell
Shane o'Connor
Damien O'Rourke

if there are any more please add, also maybe they could get together and play a current shannon selection, that would be a good game !!

sore_toe
12/12/2006, 7:50 PM

my team would be...
1.darren whelen
2.tom oHare
3.derek bryne
4.richie lillis
5.the center half from olympic dont no his name
6.scales
7.ryan kelly
8.davy wall
9.gleno
19.pa.twomey
11.declan adams

OpenGoal
12/12/2006, 10:47 PM
sore toe, that team would be close to my first 11. The olympic centre half is either brian or paul o connor. both are excellent. Also, i'd have gerry kelly in there ahead of pa twomey. whatever happened to Paul Carr?????

CousinSylDolan
13/12/2006, 7:07 AM
did brendan hughes get the go ahead to play for fairview..???

Brendy came on as a sub for Fairview on Sunday in the Fai.

They lost to Wembley.

old git
13/12/2006, 11:39 AM
sore toe, that team would be close to my first 11. The olympic centre half is either brian or paul o connor. both are excellent. Also, i'd have gerry kelly in there ahead of pa twomey. whatever happened to Paul Carr?????

last seen in paddy powers bookies .... not sure if he has signed for anybody ..

Brazil Nut
13/12/2006, 12:19 PM
Just currently playing junior soccer in Shannon

D. Whealan
D. Byrne
D Griffen
D. Ryan
G. Quirke
D. Adams
K. Kissane
Scales
R. Kelly
D. Wall
E. Glynn

Back five no question in my mind, few doubts after that but looks strong compared to some of the other teams. Nearly all of the players in this team are winners as well as quality and deserve to be in there.

smellyfeet
13/12/2006, 12:33 PM
last seen in paddy powers bookies .... not sure if he has signed for anybody ..

Bunny is playing with Newtown B.

smellyfeet
13/12/2006, 12:35 PM

D. Whealan
D. Byrne
D Griffen
D. Ryan
G. Quirke
D. Adams
K. Kissane
Scales
R. Kelly
D. Wall
E. Glynn

Back five no question in my mind, few doubts after that but looks strong compared to some of the other teams. Nearly all of the players in this team are winners as well as quality and deserve to be in there.

IN BOLD PLAYS OUT OF BUNRATTY

CousinSylDolan
13/12/2006, 1:39 PM
IN BOLD PLAYS OUT OF BUNRATTY

You mean the following dont play in Shannon from that team...

D. Whealan
D. Ryan
D. Adams
Scales

:eek: :eek: :eek:

riverside
13/12/2006, 1:43 PM

D. Whealan
D. Byrne
D Griffen
D. Ryan
G. Quirke
D. Adams
K. Kissane
Scales
R. Kelly
D. Wall
E. Glynn

Griff way too quiet and is not always aware of the dangers, Ryano is a route one player good in the air talks alot but is also a hit and miss merchant, Glynno is too subtle if you get my drift and will not dominate midfield, Scalsey is he committed anymore?

CousinSylDolan
13/12/2006, 2:35 PM
Scalsey is he committed anymore?

Captain of Bunratty and showing 100% so far this season anyway.

As I pointed out earlier though... Scales and Ryano dont play in Shannon so why are ye talking about them????:confused:

riverside
13/12/2006, 2:52 PM
delighted to hear that.

Lev Yashin
13/12/2006, 4:13 PM
Griff way too quiet and is not always aware of the dangers, Ryano is a route one player good in the air talks alot but is also a hit and miss merchant, Glynno is too subtle if you get my drift and will not dominate midfield, Scalsey is he committed anymore?

Griff way too quiet???you having a laugh! ive played with a lot of centre halves over the years and i have yet to come across one who organise's like he does, dont get me wrong he isn't roaring and shouting but he doesn't need to.

thecritic
13/12/2006, 6:13 PM
what about this team might not last long in a match but would last along time in the bar after the match

ronan o conner
steff russell
lush lougnane
andy o mahony
darren ryan
kizzy
paul carr
adam fanning
richy lillis
brendy o mara
lockers from park fc

can you name a better team

Goals4fun
13/12/2006, 7:32 PM

D. Whealan
D. Byrne
D Griffen
D. Ryan
G. Quirke
D. Adams
K. Kissane
Scales
R. Kelly
D. Wall
E. Glynn

d.ryan - is that darren ryan, if so he is playing with carew park in limerick

Lev Yashin
13/12/2006, 8:04 PM
d.ryan - is that darren ryan, if so he is playing with carew park in limerick

ya thats him

riverside
14/12/2006, 10:06 AM
ya thats him

You must be thinking of Griffs alter ego.

parkfan
14/12/2006, 5:29 PM
Griff way too quiet???you having a laugh! ive played with a lot of centre halves over the years and i have yet to come across one who organise's like he does, dont get me wrong he isn't roaring and shouting but he doesn't need to.

id agree there is no need to be shouting and roaring sometimes it doesn't help. players can set an example in a different way on the field. you must not of played beside many center halves then because id only have him in the side for his ability to win the ball. but i would worry bout his tackling on the ground.

old git
14/12/2006, 6:35 PM
id agree there is no need to be shouting and roaring sometimes it doesn't help. players can set an example in a different way on the field. you must not of played beside many center halves then because id only have him in the side for his ability to win the ball. but i would worry bout his tackling on the ground.

need plenty of shouting & roaring as long as you are willing to stick your head / leg / body in nobody should have any problem with centre half / sweeper roaring at them .. god help us is it gone that sensitive nobody like to be shouted at now :confused: :confused:

riverside
15/12/2006, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=old git;592297]need plenty of shouting & roaring as long as you are willing to stick your head / leg / body in nobody should have any problem with centre half / sweeper roaring at them .. god help us is it gone that sensitive nobody like to be shouted at now :confused: :confused:[/QUO

As one old git to another i have to agree, if you have a centre half behind you who you respect and he balls at you when your not doing the business you hear him and you will heed him, and when i say Griff is quiet i didnt mean he had to roar i simply meant that he is quiet, as he is when he is not playing.:ball:

Lev Yashin
15/12/2006, 4:16 PM
As one old git to another i have to agree, if you have a centre half behind you who you respect and he balls at you when your not doing the business you hear him and you will heed him, and when i say Griff is quiet i didnt mean he had to roar i simply meant that he is quiet, as he is when he is not playing.:ball:[/QUOTE]

I'd say you know darren from his park days.....maybe he was quiet down there i dont know. but he isn't quiet with us. he has played with alot of us for a good few years so i suppose thats the difference.