PDA

View Full Version : Derry City win FAI Cup 2006

DmanDmythDledge
03/12/2006, 8:10 PM
Great final, despite the conditions. One of the best games of football I've seen all year.

Maz
03/12/2006, 8:21 PM
Yeah very exciting game in terrible conditions. Was gutted for Pats fans at the end though! Well done to both teams...great display

Congrats to Derry City FC and all involved!

steno
03/12/2006, 8:27 PM
Was a very entertaining game was in the Easterm stand and there was a great atmosphere.

Fair play to both Derry and St. Pats players, fans and management

dancinpants
03/12/2006, 8:27 PM
Was gutted for Pats fans at the end though!

Felt bad for them too, but then thought fcuk it, we lost the league on the last day two years in row...theres only so much consolation you can get from a league cup.

Pats always put it up to Derry, and I never dreamt a Pats/Derry match would produce 7 goals even over 120 mins. So defo, hats off to Pats for playin' a HUGE part in a great final. It would have been nice to see a different team in the Setanta next year too.

Kildare Lad
03/12/2006, 8:57 PM
Yeah, brilliant final, i was in with the Pats Fans in the lower east stand, and by the end of that match even i felt gutted. To take the lead 3 times and then lose is very cruel.

IMO, it would have been fairer for it to have gone to penalties, and let luck decide. But Football doesnt always work that way.

Hats off to Derry though. Both teams were brilliant, and both sets of fans made a cracking atmosphere. Too bad about the weather, if that had of been good everyting would have been brilliant on the day.

Great Football, Great Goals, Great Atmosphere, Great Day Out.

A Tribute to the league.

floatinghoop
03/12/2006, 8:57 PM
wonderful final, I think it made some converts to domestic football among the visitors I brought along, congrats to both teams

Mr A
03/12/2006, 8:59 PM
Great final, just a pity I had to actually do some work during extra time and missed the end.

Fair play to Derry, and hard luck to Pats.

chippie0001
03/12/2006, 9:04 PM
Yeah a very good final and some good play by both sides. Thought Derry were the better team with the better football and deserved their win but must be hard to stomach for Pats players/fans, 3 times ahead and still to lose. I guess they never will win the cup again.

Congrats to SK in his last game for a while in the league, the best manager in the league this year and I hope he does well in Scotland. The crowd looked good on the TV, what was the attendance?

floatinghoop
03/12/2006, 9:10 PM

or thereabouts

sligoman
03/12/2006, 9:17 PM
Well done to Derry! Great game.

pete
03/12/2006, 9:58 PM
Thanks Derry City. Intertoto & Setanta next year for us.

I only saw into the middle of the second half & wasn't able to give my attention to watching it so can't really comment on the game.

One of the downsides of summer football is FAI Cup finals in December. Conditions similar to last year but at least no womens cup final on beforehand so pitch in better shape. IMO they should move FAI Cup final back to Octover Bank Holiday weekend as I has originally suggested.

DmanDmythDledge
03/12/2006, 9:59 PM
One of the downsides of summer football is FAI Cup finals in December. Conditions similar to last year but at least no womens cup final on beforehand so pitch in better shape. IMO they should move FAI Cup final back to Octover Bank Holiday weekend as I has originally suggested.
Ye I was thinking that alright when the ball kept moving around for set pieces. It wouldn't be a problem having the final in October as there is usually a long break between 2nd and 3rd rounds.

CollegeTillIDie
03/12/2006, 10:07 PM
Best Final for years well done to both teams. Agree final should be brought back to October. Disagree with Women's Final being bumped making any difference. Big difference was them moving the AIL Division 3 League scheduled for Saturday from the pitch, that would have completely wrecked the surface .

Sheridan
03/12/2006, 10:50 PM
Highly absorbing game, good to watch despite lack of quality ball-play, which was understandable in the circumstances.

Special congratulations to Gary Beckett, who establishes a new record for FAI Cup medals won by a Martian.

drummerboy
03/12/2006, 11:20 PM
Great game of football. Had everything. Pity there had to be a loser. Well done Derry, they were the better team.

onenilgameover
03/12/2006, 11:40 PM
very sad to see pats lose the way they did even though derry were the better side...a fitting way to finish football in lansdowne all in all

JC_GUFC
03/12/2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah fantastic match given the conditions. Best cup final since 1991.

Pat's were v unlucky but Derry were the better team overall. How Pizza won Man of the Match is beyond me - he was at fault for 2 of Pat's goals!

Well done to the poster on this thread who was on over 2.5 goals too! ;)

highlight100
04/12/2006, 12:11 AM
Great game,feel sorry for the pat,s fans though..

sniffa
04/12/2006, 12:39 AM
Great game, great atmosphere. Thought the same 'bout MOTM.
For me he was on the losing side, Trevor Molloy.

Well done Derry

Was that the Mayo girls at halftime?

David
04/12/2006, 6:55 AM
A lot of credit must go to both teams providing such a spectacle in those conditions. Really enjoyed the game but it must have been horrendous for the St Pats supporters.

chippie0001
04/12/2006, 9:10 AM

Pat's were v unlucky but Derry were the better team overall. How Pizza won Man of the Match is beyond me - he was at fault for 2 of Pat's goals!

Well done to the poster on this thread who was on over 2.5 goals too! ;)

Can I take offence that you can access my betting record, surely that is confidential :p

Superhoops
04/12/2006, 12:23 PM

Thought Damian Hancock should get some credit for the way he refereed. Let the game flow where he could. Referees have been blasted on here several times, but credit where it is due.

Agree, Pizza getting MOM was strange. Pat McCourt was the best player on the pitch by miles. Everything Derry did came through him. His run and through ball for Mark Farren's goal was worth the admission money alone.

osarusan
04/12/2006, 12:31 PM
Any idea where I can see the goals from the game, esp last 2 which were after RTEs net stream cut off? Youtube, google, etc.

sadloserkid
04/12/2006, 12:54 PM
Best tenner I ever spent to be honest. Great game. Thought McCourt had a habit of overdoing it at times to be honest but it's a small gripe. Great advert for the league overall. Sickening for the Pats fans though, felt for them afterwards.

dcfc_1928
04/12/2006, 12:57 PM
Some clips here:

http://www.irishfootienetwork.com/gallery/v/users/admin/cupfinal06/

Any idea where I can see the goals from the game, esp last 2 which were after RTEs net stream cut off? Youtube, google, etc.

dcfc_1928
04/12/2006, 1:04 PM
Farren Goal (1-1)

3KtO2dWsxlI

Delaney Goal (2-2)

RRCge8yjALo

Hutton Goal (3-3)

4rZiE6WIvl0

Own Goal (4-3)

jYAxZRBYZ5E

ccfcgirl
04/12/2006, 2:44 PM
Just back from Dublin what a trip what a match.....such entertainment ....I felt real sorry for Pats fans and players to score 3 goals and not win a match is very very harsh.As Im a Cork City fan , Derry winning meant everything ..Here we come Setanta and Into-toto..... on another note Thank God for summer soccer...

Leeza
04/12/2006, 2:46 PM
I was on the second tier of the East stand. Derry fans seemed to outnumber Pats fans 2 to 1... In their own city! I was an honourary Derry fan for the day. A great advertisement for the Irish game.

Aaron
04/12/2006, 2:57 PM
Thought Damian Hancock should get some credit for the way he refereed. Let the game flow where he could. Referees have been blasted on here several times, but credit where it is due.

Agree, Pizza getting MOM was strange. Pat McCourt was the best player on the pitch by miles. Everything Derry did came through him. His run and through ball for Mark Farren's goal was worth the admission money alone.

100% Correct. Couldnt agree anymore. Thought Hancock handles the game well in difficult conditions and Paddy played outstanding. Great day all-round. Also well-done to Pat's gracious in defeat, made for a thrilling game, if we arnt in the final next year i'd like to see Pat's win it

Superhoops
04/12/2006, 3:04 PM
Does anyone know why several clubs, particularly some of the bigger clubs (seem to remember the announcer mentioning Athlone Town and Longford Town) did not send a group to the pre-match parade?

I was sitting on the East Upper and the UCD group and Kilkenny City group from that parade came up and sat near to where we were. I overheard one of them saying they had been there since 11am and had to wait until about 2.45 when they were lined up. He also said there was supposed to be a marquee where all the participants in the parade were to get tea and sandwiches, but that the marquee had blown away and no alternative arrangements were made. If that was the case, then it was a poor show, especially as the majority were youngsters.

Also, during the parade, the announcer said the Shamrock Rovers had won the FAI Cup 25 times, but the programme showed them winning 24 times. I thought it was 24, anyone know if 24/25 is right???

AustinoAsprilla
04/12/2006, 3:12 PM
Could see the headlines...

Pats win cup for first time in 147 years...
They've Qualify for Europe next Season...
They're also in the Setanta Cup...

First they must defend this Derry free kick-

AustinoAsprilla
04/12/2006, 3:20 PM
Derry were excellent though, fair play. McCourt destroyed us at times, MOTM by a fair distance Mr. MOTM Awarder person...

WeAreRovers
04/12/2006, 3:37 PM
Also, during the parade, the announcer said the Shamrock Rovers had won the FAI Cup 25 times, but the programme showed them winning 24 times. I thought it was 24, anyone know if 24/25 is right???

I'm afraid we've only won it a mere 24 times. :p

KOH

passerrby
04/12/2006, 5:59 PM
went into a bar to try and catch the second half to be meet with all three tv all showing hammers v everton ...sad but true

fair play to both teams

Superhoops
04/12/2006, 6:02 PM
I'm afraid we've only won it a mere 24 times.
Thank God for that. :D

holidaysong
04/12/2006, 6:20 PM
went into a bar to try and catch the second half to be meet with all three tv all showing hammers v everton ...sad but true

fair play to both teams

I went into the pub at the start to watch it and was met by Salisbury City vs. Nottingham Forest. :eek:

Dave77
04/12/2006, 6:53 PM
Great final, showed that the standard of LOI is getting better all the time. Pity S. Kenny is leaving looks like he could have brought Derry to higher stages in Europe.

Raheny Red
04/12/2006, 7:03 PM

fair play to both teams

I went into the pub at the start to watch it and was met by Salisbury City vs. Nottingham Forest. :eek:

Serves you right, ya pair of barstoolers :p :D

Sniffer
04/12/2006, 7:26 PM
It was a great morning to be an eL follower in work. people actually wanted to talk about the match; one everton fan even switched over and stayed with the Cup final. Amazing given the potential for farce presented by the weather conditions. Perversely it seemed to intrigue said barstoolers; should we have a wind machine at every game; or is Roddy Collins too busy.
:)

TonyD
04/12/2006, 7:34 PM
A lot of credit must go to both teams providing such a spectacle in those conditions. Really enjoyed the game but it must have been horrendous for the St Pats supporters.

Horrendous doesn't begin to do it justice David. I've experienced some great times supporting Pats, but somehow the highs never seem to compensate for the lows, and yesterday was one of the lowest. Proud of the team though. Even though they were underdogs they put up a great show, and it was so, so close. On two seperate occasions I honestly thought "name on the trophy". Firstly after Farrens miss and then Trevors penalty, then when Soccy scored to put us ahead for the 3rd time I really thought we'd hold out. Wasn't to be though. Sometimes I just hate football.:(

TonyD
04/12/2006, 7:37 PM
should we have a wind machine at every game; or is Roddy Collins too busy.
:)

Sniffer, you've managed the near impossible and cheered me up. :D :D

Gerrit
04/12/2006, 7:46 PM
I was lucky enough to find a bar showing the game... I'm very ****ed of not being there in real. I wanted to go down to Dublin but had to play a footie game myself. Gutted to miss that. Absolutely great game, and true promotion for Irish football, this game was better than the English Cup final from last year. And I never thought I'd actually feel compassion for St Pats, but, being in the lead 3x and letting it slip out of hands by an owngoal... :eek: Well done to Derry though, what a way to win a trophy, this night will be remembered for years.

bluemovie
05/12/2006, 10:34 AM
I was sitting on the East Upper and the UCD group and Kilkenny City group from that parade came up and sat near to where we were. I overheard one of them saying they had been there since 11am and had to wait until about 2.45 when they were lined up. He also said there was supposed to be a marquee where all the participants in the parade were to get tea and sandwiches, but that the marquee had blown away and no alternative arrangements were made. If that was the case, then it was a poor show, especially as the majority were youngsters.

Are you sure they weren't Waterford supporters because I think I was part of that conversation? Either that or I had the exact same conversation:confused: . Was it at half time when a tall, extremely good-looking chap came up and was talking to two veterans who were next to half a dozen young lads? They said the marquee was torn asunder by the wind and that they were freezing sitting around for 4 hours.

Excellent match - easily the best cup final I've seen. I feel really sorry for Frosty and Dave Mulcahy who, for the second time in 3 seasons, were leading the cup final with 5 minutes to go only to end up losing!

Superhoops
05/12/2006, 5:23 PM
Are you sure they weren't Waterford supporters because I think I was part of that conversation? Either that or I had the exact same conversation:confused: . Was it at half time when a tall, extremely good-looking chap came up and was talking to two veterans who were next to half a dozen young lads? They said the marquee was torn asunder by the wind and that they were freezing sitting around for 4 hours.

Excellent match - easily the best cup final I've seen. I feel really sorry for Frosty and Dave Mulcahy who, for the second time in 3 seasons, were leading the cup final with 5 minutes to go only to end up losing!

Dont know who they were talking to, the guys in football jerseys were definitely UCD, one black guy and 3/4 other lads. Didn't notice if one was them was 'an extremely good-looking chap' (not that way inclined :D ).

They were about 3 rows in front of us and the Kilkenny lads were much younger about 3 rows in front of that again.

spaceghost
05/12/2006, 5:38 PM
hard luck to pats.i know its no consilation but they played their part in an epic cup final.well done to derry and best of luck to steven kenny in his new job.

robbieos88
05/12/2006, 9:43 PM
I cant believe it, im distraught, the worst football day of my life, cup final '03 all over again