PDA

View Full Version : Trivia

Block G Raptor
01/12/2006, 12:14 PM
A Colleague of mine reckons that 5 world cup winners have played league of ireland football can any one name them
we've got three so far!!

green army
01/12/2006, 12:15 PM
gordan banks played for pats

Poor Student
01/12/2006, 12:23 PM
It's wrongly believed that Socrates played for UCD though he never won a World Cup anyway. It's still worth asking your mate if he's one of the 5 as these questions are often riddled with wrong answers.

Geoff Hurst and Bobby Charlton played for Cork Celtic and Waterford respectively.

Block G Raptor
01/12/2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah thats the three we got originally( Moore Charlton and Banks). also a german bloke uwe seyer(sic)cant for the life of me think of the fifth

TonyD
01/12/2006, 12:51 PM
Uwe Seeler is the German you're thinking of. I wasn't aware he'd played here. He never won the World Cup anyway.(Losing semi v Italy 1970 and final v some monarchist crowd:p in 1966.) Socrates wasn't a WC winner either btw.

seand
01/12/2006, 1:32 PM
Geoff Hurst also played for Cork Celtic

Banks- Pats
Charlton- Waterford
Moore- Cork Celtic
Hurst- Cork Celtic

Seeler played one or two game for Cork Celtic, but never won the World Cup. George Eastham played for Ards up North and was non-playing member of the England 66 squad (was the question about League of Ireland players, or played league football in Ireland?)

Block G Raptor
01/12/2006, 3:52 PM
It was LOI football but reckon the Uwe Seeler one was wrong as he didn't actually win the WC maybee my colleague remembered it incorrectly and the Q. should have been how many WC Finalists...................