PDA

View Full Version : Warren & Rennie..

SSS
04/11/2002, 9:16 PM
were both subbed tonight and both went off down the tunnel with sour looks on their faces - remember Herrick????

:(

Poor game, particularly in the first half, but I think earned the win in the second.
The Conor v Benno decision was made for Murphy when Conor's hamstring went and Benno came on.

Devine
Carey Daly Murray Hoggie
Greg Rennie Conor Woods
O'Flynn Warren

Benno, Colin P, Colin T

Daly played well,Woods was poor. Devine made a great one-on-one save in the first half..

Neil
04/11/2002, 9:57 PM
Originally posted by SSS
were both subbed tonight and both went off down the tunnel with sour looks on their faces - remember Herrick????

I'm hearing reports that John O'Flynn threw a poisonous look towards Gunther aswell on seeing Rennie being subbed?

Get the man out before he ruins us...

patsh
04/11/2002, 11:13 PM
I thought the Warren substitution was justified, but Rennie ??
He didn't play as well as he usually does, but there was no need to take him off.
David Warren is not being treated very well, I think
I cannot see Davy staying if he is getting f*cked about by Gunther.
What is happening to Jimmy Mull?
Even though he hadd a half decent game tonight, surely Daly is not worth a starting place?
We have a realy decnt squad of players now, but I am convinced that Gunther simply does not know how to handle players, and treat them properly.

fonzi
05/11/2002, 8:57 AM
sure twas the same against shels he took off Renny when he wuz playing well and leaves on o grady who wuz just back from bloody injury!!!!!!!!!!!

Ring up the Hague someone!

Éanna
05/11/2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by oddboy
We have a realy decnt squad of players now, but I am convinced that Gunther simply does not know how to handle players, and treat them properly.
I´m fearing that more and more. He has taken us as far as he is capable and should have the good grace to realise it and step aside. When was the last time anyone saw devine NOT react negatively to a murphy substitution!

Gary
05/11/2002, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
IWhat is happening to Jimmy Mull?

Rumour assit that hes on the transfer list!!!!

OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Éanna
05/11/2002, 2:31 PM
Originally posted by Neil
I'm hearing reports that John O'Flynn threw a poisonous look towards Gunther aswell on seeing Rennie being subbed?

he must have been watching what mick devine does week-in, week-out :rolleyes:

pete
05/11/2002, 3:42 PM
Rennie rerally is as close to an attacking central midfielder as we have - he did give the ball away a few times but then again thats part of trying to create oipportunities.

It would look like Rennie subbed cos he was losing the ball but O'Grady been just as bad as him in that regards but he doesn't show for the ball as much - tis staggering Rennie be subbed when we looking for a goal......

:confused:

Pablo
05/11/2002, 3:47 PM
Originally posted by pete
- tis staggering Rennie be subbed when we looking for a goal......

:confused:

i guess in Gunthers defense the man that came on for Rennie scored...............:(

Troy.McClure
05/11/2002, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by SSS
remember Herrick????
Wasnt he the $hite midfielder we had that is playing in the first division now because he isnt up to premier division standards?

Isnt Jimmy Mul out injured?

What good players have actually left (or been sent packing) because of personality clashes with Murphy? Ollie? Money Id have thought, Steven O'Flynn? A bench warmer.
Would people please stop gossoping about how someone had a bad look on their face when such and such got taken off.

Rennie an " attacking" midfielder??? WHAT!!!!?????

patsh
05/11/2002, 5:58 PM
Hi, my name is Troy McClure. You might also know me as
Liam Murphy,
Gunther,
That guy from Hickeys,
The man who shouts at schoolboys in Stofain Naofa
For f*cks sake, troy, cop on.
You have your opinion on Murphy which is fine, and you think he is grand.
Simply because you like him don't turn a blind eye to his f*ck-ups.
Rennie is our main midfield conduit, our best player so far and subbing him like Gunther is doing is simply bad management and incompetence !!!:rolleyes:

SSS
05/11/2002, 6:54 PM
Troy, when two good players dodge off down the tunnel when subbed and don't bother to stay and watch whether their team-mates can get the lead goal and win a game that would put them in clear second, they must be really p****d off at something...and whether that is Murphy's fault or not, it is a problem for Cork City and cannot help their title aspirations.

Herro was mentioned in my earlier post coz he was the last to sulk so publically and he didn't stay around for long afterward- it has nothing to do with their relative quality as players.

pete
06/11/2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Rennie an " attacking" midfielder??? WHAT!!!!?????

In the manner that none of O'Grady, Bennet or Greg are. i.e. Rennie looks to create by putting his foot on the ball.

Éanna
06/11/2002, 11:03 AM
Wasnt he the $hite midfielder we had that is playing in the first division now because he isnt up to premier division standards?
No. He was the midfielder who was very unlucky with injuries and never played as well for us as he had for galway.

Neil
06/11/2002, 11:06 AM

That's right Liam... :rolleyes:

dalo
06/11/2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Neil

That's right Liam... :rolleyes:

if it is true that Liam has fallen out with rennie and jimmy grimble then i am worried indeed!!!!;)

What is the logical cause behind it. Are the two lads acting like primma donnas or is it murphy? taking reynolds off on monday seemed like a bad move.

as i say hopefully murphy will do the decent thing and step aside

Troy.McClure
06/11/2002, 12:29 PM
Woooooo-ahhhhhh there boyo's! :eek:

Chill, chill and chill again!

oddboy: I dont like him too much actually, infact I think that he is a bit of a pold to say the least, however some of the stuff that the Gunther-out brigade come out is just so far out there that its a bit rediculous. Rennie is a fantastic player but to say that he is a creative player isnt correct. IMO he is an excellent defencive midfielder who tries to play the ball to feet and find his man, however this does not make him 'creative', anyway, surely C.T.O'B would be more creative than him. Its not like he was dropped, he was just subbed for the last 15 min! I think that Gunther has plenty of short-comings, especially in his starting 11 (and even more so in defence), but to make what I would call a standard substitution is fair enough IMO.

SSS: Have you ever seen a player look happy to be subed? No, and if he was then there is something clearly wrong with him. Rennie seems to be the sort of guy who would be gutted to be taken off, but plenty of players just feck off down the tunnel after being taken off. Ive seen it plenty of times at the X, under Davy Barry and Mountie. Its not such an unusual thing.

Éanna: He never played well for us as you seem to admit yourself.

dalo: I too hope that we have a new manager next year, but only if he is better than Gunther.

No one has actually answered this question, What good players have actually left (or been sent packing) because of personality clashes with Murphy?

Casegrande
06/11/2002, 12:33 PM
No one has actually answered this question, What good players have actually left (or been sent packing) because of personality clashes with Murphy?
Mark Herrick, Kelvin Flanagan, Greg O'Halloran (for a while), Steve O'Flynn, Tony Tynan, and Jimmy Mull seems to be on his way.

Troy.McClure
06/11/2002, 12:40 PM
good players

Mark Herrick - Mr Lets Stay on the ball until I get dispossed
Kelvin Flanagan - His nickname was burgers, need I say more?
Greg O'Halloran - Longford did him well, I think that most people aggree with that. IMO he should be starting ahead of C'OG
Steve O'Flynn - Our 5th place striker
Tony Tynan - Would have joined $hels if he was any good. Now he plays with the mighty Kilkenny Town!
Jimmy Mull seems to be on his way. AFIK Just terrace talk.

Casegrande
06/11/2002, 12:45 PM
Rubbish! Every single bit of it!
Get the wool out of your eyes Troy!

Flanagan was City's leading scorer once or twice.
Herrick was as committed and dependable for City as anyone ever.
S. Flynn never got a fair chance. He's banging em in for Limerick.
Greg hated it at Longford. That did him no god.
Tynan could have been good for us.
Dave Moore could have been good for us.

dalo
06/11/2002, 12:46 PM

Mark Herrick - Mr Lets Stay on the ball until I get dispossed
Kelvin Flanagan - His nickname was burgers, need I say more?
Greg O'Halloran - Longford did him well, I think that most people aggree with that. IMO he should be starting ahead of C'OG
Steve O'Flynn - Our 5th place striker
Tony Tynan - Would have joined $hels if he was any good. Now he plays with the mighty Kilkenny Town!
Jimmy Mull seems to be on his way. AFIK Just terrace talk.

can 't really disagree with any of troy's criticisms there to be honest. i think it would be a shame if mulligan left. as for potential candidiates what about paul doolin or alan matthews. dare I say it even davy hill ?

Troy.McClure
06/11/2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Casegrande
Rubbish! Every single bit of it!
Get the wool out of your eyes Troy!

Flanagan top scorer - with 11 goals I think, about 8 of them penos!
Herrick was as committed and dependable - I would also be comitted for City, however just like him, I would not be too dependable because I am also cr@p
S. Flynn never got a fair chance. He's banging em in for Limerick. -Agreed, but there is a huge difference in the 1st and premier divisions, and as I said, he would be only 5th choice here
Greg hated it at Longford. That did him no god. - It mightnt have made him a priest, but it did make him a better player!
Tynan could have been good for us.- Again agreed, but not an important player in the starting 11 or even for the subs
Dave Moore could have been good for us.- Dont think so.

niamh
06/11/2002, 1:05 PM
Liam is about as good as McCarthy when it comes to managing players....pure crap!

Troy.McClure
06/11/2002, 1:11 PM
But sure we had a 'fantastic' World Cup and what a FAI Cup we had aswell! :rolleyes: :D :(

niamh
06/11/2002, 1:21 PM
De FAI are class. U should respect those who clearly know what they are doing. As much as Liam does.

Éanna
06/11/2002, 1:43 PM
What good players have actually left (or been sent packing) because of personality clashes with Murphy?
ok, fair enough troy, you have your views on those players. can´t say i agree, but there ya go!
Seriously though, when a player storms down a tunnel after coming off it´s a bad sign- particularly when the manager has a history of personality clashes.

Anyway- it has nothing to do with the players being good, bad or indifferent. if the guy can´t manage players, he shouldn´t be in charge of a team: thats what it boils down to.

Troy.McClure
06/11/2002, 2:08 PM
Look I didnt see it, but neither did you. As some people here have IMO a bit of a tendancy to over react to trivial things Im not reading too much into Rennie being subbed. Managers arent supposed to be friends to the players (eg Beckham and "Mr. Erickson"). They need authority. I would be far more worried if Rennie went right up to Gunther and told him to shove it before storming off.

BTW It does have to do with the players being good, bad or indifferent, because if there are cr@p players on the pitch (ala Heartigan & Carey) then there is only one person to blame!

pete
06/11/2002, 3:26 PM
I think its a bit unfair to judge Murphy on those he released from the club.

The club can realistically only have around 20 players in the first team squad & better to judge Murphy on the replacements for Herrick, Flanagan etc.....

I think Murphy can only get partial credit for bringing in John O'Flynn & O'Callaghan as its more likely they approached the club than Murphy seeking them out.

James
07/11/2002, 11:30 AM
look it lads at the end of the day none of ye were in that room in Saipan and heard what was said

fupit i'm getting all 'tired and emotional' reading all this
i'm off for some coffee and a look at trinity birds :)

Xlex
07/11/2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by dalo
what about paul doolin or alan matthews.

Since when is there a perception Longford is a feeder club for potiential Management material... Can a huge club not find its own little genius... Alan Matthews will never leave Longford to manage Cork... Only the Big two/three in Dublin would get him and Bohs already have an ex-longford manager...

paudie
07/11/2002, 12:43 PM
I didn't think rennie played that well on Friday and it was fair enough that he might be taken off.

couldn't go monday so can't comment. Its bad though if he went straight down the tunnel and didn't watch the rest of the game.

He's a hard tackling midfielder, no Zidane and shouldn't be sulking if hes taken off a couple of times in a row.

After all he was only playing for Longford/Waterford before City bought him.

Xlex
07/11/2002, 12:46 PM
In the long run Reynolds will prove to be the thug he was at Longford...

Macy
07/11/2002, 1:38 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
In the long run Reynolds will prove to be the thug he was at Longford...

Thug's a bit harsh...... more like brain dead, for the amount of pathetic cards (and therefore suspensions) he got for back chat.... wouldn't have been so bad if had only been carded for bad tackles.....

Xlex
07/11/2002, 2:06 PM
And the Finn Harps games....

He looked like he was trying to get sent off in Flancare and In Ballyboffey he did... All after he accepted a contract form Cork...

pete
07/11/2002, 2:21 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Thug's a bit harsh...... more like brain dead, for the amount of pathetic cards (and therefore suspensions) he got for back chat.... wouldn't have been so bad if had only been carded for bad tackles.....

Can't remember him picking up many if any cards at city this year.

Éanna
07/11/2002, 3:24 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Haven´t seen any of that from him so far, touch wood.

Troy.McClure
07/11/2002, 3:47 PM
Originally posted by James

i'm off for some coffee and a look at trinity birds :)

Fecking D4 bimbos:confused:

:mad: :o

pete
07/11/2002, 5:54 PM
Fecking D4 bimbos...

And UCD would be where exactely :D

Troy.McClure
08/11/2002, 11:10 AM
Its in D16 aswell I'll have you know, + Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown!

Anyway, those snobs are still bimbos!

;)