PDA

View Full Version : Nickname And Numbering

fonzi
04/11/2002, 2:14 PM
what do ye think of a nickname for city?
and numbering system as Mr. Lennox has hinted to?
are ye currently known as the Citizens or what?

Éanna
04/11/2002, 5:53 PM
Whats the sudden craze in nick-naming everything and everyone?!!! :confused: First it was John O´Flynn and now city. I´m perfectly happy with "city" or "the leesiders" and "rebels" has been used a few times. A nickname is something people use, not what might sound good and we have an identity as city so why change it. Look at sunderland- "the Black Cats"- fcukit, where did they pluck that one out of!!!!!

Squad numbers- Lennox said something about them in the future. I think they´re great for merchandising but I´m not a big fan. If you´ve a settled team, you don´t need them anyway.

This "Citizens" thing seems to be the preserve of the match programme as far as I can see, never actually heard people using it when talking, but am open to correction.

Macy
05/11/2002, 9:28 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
Look at sunderland- "the Black Cats"- fcukit, where did they pluck that one out of!!!!!

Black Cats was the sunderland nickname years and years ago... the fans re-adopted it and then the club followed suit.....

This "Citizens" thing seems to be the preserve of the match programme as far as I can see, never actually heard people using it when talking, but am open to correction.

LOL, trying to steal Manchester siddy's pathetic nickname....

Éanna
05/11/2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Macy
Black Cats was the sunderland nickname years and years ago... the fans re-adopted it and then the club followed suit.....

ok, well that explains that. but my point is, the idea of picking a nickname is crazy. a nickname is supposed to be what you´re known as popularly- it develops over time. you don´t just decide it!

Shed End John
05/11/2002, 4:31 PM

No correction needed, you're right. It's only something used in the programme. Besides, I don't think anyone would know who you were on about if you called City the Citizens. What a crap nickname anyway.

Murphy Out Now!!!

pete
05/11/2002, 5:15 PM
I knmow some people not keen on squad numbers but city don't exactely have a massive squad so we'd be unlikely to see numbers 41 & 42 playing up front.

IMO the whole league should introduce squad numbers as the Sky bar stoolers are used to it & would help people get to know the players better & quicker.

On the other hand i kinda miss the commenst from those pople wondering who the number 4 (or whatever) when hes played for the club for 10 years.

;)