PDA

View Full Version : City -v- Saint Patrick's Athletic

Neil
04/11/2002, 9:59 AM
fai.ie

Cork City can move to within six points of runaway leaders Bohemians in the Premier Division table when they face St Patrick's Athletic in the vital eircom League clash at Turners Cross on Monday (Kick off 7:45).

But manager Liam Murphy must plan without striker George O'Callaghan who serves out a one-match ban after being shown the red card in Cork's 1-1 draw with Bohemians on Friday night. James Mulligan is the likely replacement to partner John O'Flynn in attack.

Colin T.O'Brien is on stand-by to take over from Alan Bennett on the right side of midfield. Bennett is very doubtful after being substituted after half an hour against Bohemians with a calf injury. Veteran defender Declan Daly is likely to again partner Dan Murray in the centre of defence having recovered from a slight groin injury.

"I was happy enough with the draw against Bohemians as we still have to play them at Dalymount Park before the end of the season. Now we can redeem ourselves against St Pat's with a win to move into second place in the table," said boss Murphy.

St Pat's recorded their first win in seven games when they beat FAI Carlsberg Cup holders Derry City 1-0 at Richmond Park on Friday night. Midfielder Paul Osam is doubtful with a knee injury with manager Pat Dolan worried that the player may not be up to a second game in four days.

Darragh Maguire is again an absentee with a groin injury, Jamie Harris thus keeps his place in the centre of defence partnering Colm Foley. Ugandan international Charles Mbabazi Livingstone could return after treatment on a back injury that kept him out of the Derry match.

"That win against Derry was important with all the other top teams dropping points on the same evening. Prior to that we had good draws against Shelbourne, Bray Wanderers and Bohemians. A win on Monday would lift us up to fourth place and a chance of Europe next season," said Dolan.

Neil
04/11/2002, 10:02 AM
Devine
Greg Murray Daly Hoggy
Warren Rennie Benno Woods
Flynny JMull

Perfect!

Éanna
04/11/2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Neil
I was happy enough with the draw against Bohemians as we still have to play them at Dalymount Park before the end of the season
And with our great away record, we´ll beat them for sure. I mean we should have hammered them the last time we played at dalyer, shouldn´t we Liam :rolleyes: :mad:

fonzi
04/11/2002, 2:16 PM
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ANY WAY WHY NOT PLAY CRONIN INSTEAD OF DALY?

Peadar
04/11/2002, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Devine
Greg Murray Daly Hoggy
Warren Rennie Benno Woods
Flynny JMull

Perfect!

Isn't Reynolds suspended?

Probable team:

********Devine**********
*Carey Daly Murray Horgan*
Greg O'Brien Bennett Woods
********Mulligan********
********O'Flynn*********

Éanna
04/11/2002, 6:06 PM
Originally posted by Peadar

Isn't Reynolds suspended?

Probable team:

********Devine**********
*Carey Daly Murray Horgan*
Greg O'Brien Bennett Woods
********Mulligan********
********O'Flynn*********
heard he was out alright. BTW, wouldn´t it be better to play greg in the centre wth benno and o´brien on the wing?

Peadar
04/11/2002, 6:32 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
wouldn´t it be better to play greg in the centre wth benno and o´brien on the wing?

Bennett is probably going to miss out with injury anyway so
The midfield could comprise of Woods, O'Grady, O'Halloran, O'Brien

Does anyone think that Warren will start up front with O'Flynn?

Éanna
04/11/2002, 6:41 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
Bennett is probably going to miss out with injury anyway so
The midfield could comprise of Woods, O'Grady, O'Halloran, O'Brien

Does anyone think that Warren will start up front with O'Flynn?
Yeah, just making the point that Greg is better in the middle than on the wing. Warren could start up front, but no reason why jimmy mull shouldn´t.

foureyes
04/11/2002, 8:32 PM
I see on aertel website that city have gone 1-0 up through John boy in the 84th minute. Go on that lad. Can we hold out for 10 or so more minutes? Hard to say. It is pats after all.

UPDATE
All over now, we done em 2-0. Nice to see CP (assuming the text got it right) get on the scoresheet and nice also that we didnt retreat to our box after scoring - well, it seems that way anyhow as we notched a second. They had Bird sent off just before CP's goal - bonus.

All in all it seems like a good evenings work, looking forward to reading the thoughts of those who were at the game.

Ali-G
04/11/2002, 9:25 PM
crappiest match in the history of mankind. didnt deserve it at all, but neither did Pats. Woods was atrocious, i was more involved in the game than he was. Pats are complete hoof merchants.

patsh
04/11/2002, 11:22 PM
Shocking performance in the first half. It's hard to believe that it's the same team who played like tonight and the first 35 minutes aginst Bohs, and the second half last Friday night.
Still, what is important is the 3 points and we got them tonight.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Daly had a decent game !

Devine : 6/10
Carey : 9/10
Daly : 6/10
Murray : 8/10
Hoggie : 8/10
Grady : 5/10
Greg : 7/10
Rennie : 7/10
Woods : 6/10
O'Flynn : 8/10
Warren : 5/10
Benno : 6/10
CP : 7/10
CT : 6/10

Gunther : 3/10

Counting Crow
04/11/2002, 11:54 PM
Agree with most of the ratings but thought Devine was much better than a 6.

He made an outstanding save in the 1st half and cleaned up after a number of lapses in the defence on several occasions.

Did nothing wrong bar kick a few long balls - but there were few options open and that 6 second rule was likely to be called remember.....!

eoinh
05/11/2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by oddboy

Devine : 6/10
Murray : 8/10
Grady : 5/10
Greg : 7/10

Gunther : 3/10
I couldn't go to the match last night as i was working nights but i see that you have Carey at 9. i'm glad to see that he had a good match as hes been having a bit of a nightmare this season. Saw the highlights on Tv3 on video this morning. Also the noise when city scored against Bohs on Friday really came across on the tv. A packed cross looks brilliant in the box.

Éanna
05/11/2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by eoinh
A packed cross looks brilliant in the box.
it really is a nice little ground!

eoinh
05/11/2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Éanna

it really is a nice little ground!

Oops wheres that edit facility?

Gary
05/11/2002, 2:08 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

Yup, fair play to Carey. He had a blinder last night and he mopped up after calys mistakes excellently.

pete
05/11/2002, 3:33 PM
I'd go for:

Devine : 8/10
Carey : 8/10
Murray : 9/10
Grady : 4/10
Greg : 8/10

Gunther : 2/10

Last night was definitely the surest sign of us doing well dispite rather than because of Gunther.

How Greg cannot get a strating place in the team continues to amaze me - he must get great credit for his industry on the pitch as he is not a wide midfield player.

Daly gave away a lot of freekicks in the first half - generally not a good idea against Pats.

Murray was superb once more & on occasions oput his foot on the ball & went on a few great mazy runs when no other options available. Sign him Up!!!!!!!!

Warren was poor up front but then again he not a forward.

John O'Flynn was quite but without him standing up & taking that freekick we would not have scored.

We didn't really deserve to win but Pats were really poor too - hard to think thyey same team that trashed up 4-1. Pats seem to have scored so often from freekicks that they just playing for them now.