PDA

View Full Version : First Gig

Magicme
29/11/2006, 4:56 PM
Was at a Wedding the other day and we started a conversation on the first gig you had ever attended. Was funny to see the embarrased looks on some faces and the smug ones on others.

Mine was one of the embarrased ones but in my defence he was very popular at that time and my parents bought me the ticket as part of a family nite out (yes mum dad & older bro all went along :o )

Chris de Burg in the RDS 1988/89 :o :o

pól-dcfc
30/11/2006, 1:16 AM
Ha! That's horrible

I've got a class one. When I was 10 my dad took me to see Oasis in Cork. August 15th 1996. Fcuking brilliant! Still wear the huge t-shirt i got at it too this very day. Only in bed mind. It looks like a nightie.

sonofstan
30/11/2006, 2:57 AM
We did this over on the Bohs board a while back - it was great way of finding out how old everyone was if nothing else. Mine was Planxty in 1972, a special afternoon show for school kids in the Savoy in Galway - first gig I went to by myself was Emmylou Harris and the Hot Band (with James Burton) in the Carlton in 1975

Magicme
30/11/2006, 8:25 AM
My brother likes to claim that his was the Rolling Stones in Slane for his 11th birthday but he had been taken to see the Osmonds when we lived in Canada! He just blanks it out coz he was only bout 4 yrs old.

paul_oshea
30/11/2006, 8:29 AM
Metallica was my first in 99. savage gig, i have seen them a few times sense and still quality. coming from a backwater in the wesht of ireland made it hard for me to get to gigs as a young fella. wow thats 7 years ago now.

ifk101
30/11/2006, 9:18 AM
My first gig was the Smashing Pumpkins at the SFX in the summer of 1994/5. Sound wasn't great and I didn't recognise any of their songs as they insisted on played stuff from their then forthcoming album (forget the name of it but it's that double-cd album).

Whipping Boy were the support and they were class.

Lionel Ritchie
30/11/2006, 9:58 AM
Howard Jones in the Old Savoy, Limerick in Feb 1987.

The drummers Electronic Drumkit cost 35,000 bucks in 1987 money. That's about the most remarkable aspect of the night. Not bad though either.

tetsujin1979
30/11/2006, 10:13 AM
Went to the last Feile in 1997, about 6 weeks after I did my Leaving Cert. Great day out altogether, the last trip to Tipp. Prodigy, Foo Fighters, Kula Shaker, Cardigans and the Manics. Got soaked during the Manics set, they had to finish early because of the rain which p!ssed the crowd off no end. Went with 2 of my mates, one of them missed the bus back to Limerick and by total fluke ended up on a busload of girls heading back there!

gustavo
30/11/2006, 3:33 PM
Robbie Williams - Slane 99 , was good enough!

WeAreRovers
30/11/2006, 3:42 PM
First proper "out late on my own" gig was the Pogues in the SFX in 1985. First ever gig was Rocky DeValera and the Rhythm Kings* in Trinity in the early 80s.

KOH

*Ask your grandad or sonofstan. :D

drinkfeckarse
30/11/2006, 3:45 PM
Bryan Adams at the RDS approx 92/93. Great it was too!

Paddyfield
30/11/2006, 6:03 PM
Bad Manners, Leisureland, Galway 1982 when I was 12. My brother was only allowed go if he brought me! I bought my first pair of Doc Martins for the occassion - I was feckin crippled with the pain.

DmanDmythDledge
30/11/2006, 8:09 PM
U2 in Croke Park last year.

superfrank
30/11/2006, 8:34 PM
My brother likes to claim that his was the Rolling Stones in Slane for his 11th birthday but he had been taken to see the Osmonds when we lived in Canada! He just blanks it out coz he was only bout 4 yrs old.
Mine was in Canada too. Me and my mother were on holiday and we went to this festival on down on the Toronto waterfront and saw Rizwan-Muazzam Qawalli. It was great.

Dr.Nightdub
30/11/2006, 8:44 PM
First ever gig was Rocky DeValera and the Rhythm Kings* in Trinity in the early 80s.

* Not the Gravediggers? Pah, blow-in. :p

My first was Bob Marley & The Wailers in Dalymount in July 1980. Cracking day.

sligoman
30/11/2006, 10:11 PM
The Corrs in Benidorm:o :D.

Bully Bull
01/12/2006, 1:02 AM
Witnness and Slane during the innocence destroying summer of 2001.

pól-dcfc
01/12/2006, 3:15 AM
the name of it but it's that double-cd album).

Melancollie (sp?) and the Infinite Sadness? Decent album.

My first on me own was prolly some ****ty band in the Nucleus in Derry. First big band I went to see with just the boys was The Divine Comedy in the Nerve Centre, Derry about 7 years ago. Brilliant gig.

WeAreRovers
01/12/2006, 12:32 PM
* Not the Gravediggers? Pah, blow-in. :p

My first was Bob Marley & The Wailers in Dalymount in July 1980. Cracking day.

Never saw the legendary line-up. :D

Ask MM about that Marley gig when you get a chance. All I can tell you is that Rovers fans killed Bob Marley. It's a long story.... ;)

KOH

Dr.Nightdub
01/12/2006, 4:50 PM
Never saw the legendary line-up. :D

Ask MM about that Marley gig when you get a chance. All I can tell you is that Rovers fans killed Bob Marley. It's a long story.... ;)

KOH

Shhh, bad enough you lot being a cancer on Irish football without being a cancer on Bob Marley's foot as well. Which particular Rovers midfield thug was working as a roadie that day anyway? :D

stann
01/12/2006, 8:31 PM
The Wedding Present at Sir Henry's about 1987 for me. First proper one anyway. Still one of the best.

The Good Son
02/12/2006, 8:26 AM
The Wedding Present at Sir Henry's about 1987 for me. First proper one anyway. Still one of the best.
I think one of the loudest gigs I've been at. It took about a week before I could hear properly again.

Dr.Nightdub
05/12/2006, 10:34 PM
You want loud? Try The Ramones in the TV Club (RIP) in 1984. There was people sitting on the steps of what is now Odeon afterwards, holding their hands over their ears and waiting for the throbbing to stop.

endabob1
06/12/2006, 10:36 AM
Howard Jones in the Old Savoy, Limerick in Feb 1987.

The drummers Electronic Drumkit cost 35,000 bucks in 1987 money. That's about the most remarkable aspect of the night. Not bad though either.

Same tour, but I seen him in Dublin, National Stadium I think, was 15 thought I was the Bees Knees!

I had seen Clannad before that so in public I say my first gig was Clannad but I was dragged by older sibblings to that where as Howard Jones was all my own work!

CollegeTillIDie
08/12/2006, 6:24 AM
The first gig I was brought to was The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem
when I was about 5 and we lived in Canada.

The first one I went to under my own steam was The Stranglers in National Stadium in October 1979.

pól-dcfc
08/12/2006, 7:01 AM
Went to see Idlewild the other night in a tiny venue in Manc. Don't really know much of the band, but was on the guestlist so I decided to go anyway with a couple of mates who'd come over from Derry for it.

Seriously one of the greatest gigs of my entire life. Never sweated and danced so much at an indie gig. Right at the front too. And pished as a fart obviously...

carrickharp
08/12/2006, 7:32 AM
Guns N Roses/Faith More & an Irish band called My Little Funhouse 16th May 1992 in Slane what a day, what a fooking day! Next concert was Faith No More in The Pont and the end of November 1992.

drinkfeckarse
08/12/2006, 7:38 AM
Guns N Roses/Faith More & an Irish band called My Little Funhouse 16th May 1992 in Slane what a day, what a fooking day! Next concert was Faith No More in The Pont and the end of November 1992.

I have their album Standunder on tape. Pity they split up, they were half decent. I remember them being touted as the next big thing but then the Irish Press do that to any new act that can play an instrument.

ken foree
08/12/2006, 1:59 PM
sinead o'connor in saratoga springs, ny, it was the tour date immediately following the infamous one in n. jersey where she refused the national anthem to be played before the gig, causing minor stink. she had a few choice words to say about it! and was excellent overall, the song mandinka really rocked i remember.

good fun reading these reminin.. remi... memorable thingies.

jebus
08/12/2006, 2:04 PM
Oasis in Cork in 96 was my first and still one of the better gigs I've attended. Saw Blur the same year too, and whilst I was a bigger Blur fan than Oasis I think the atmosphere that was at the Oasis gig makes it the better gig

jebus
08/12/2006, 2:05 PM
sinead o'connor in saratoga springs, ny, it was the tour date immediately following the infamous one in n. jersey where she refused the national anthem to be played before the gig, causing minor stink. she had a few choice words to say about it! and was excellent overall, the song mandinka really rocked i remember.

good fun reading these reminin.. remi... memorable thingies.

Sweet jesus I've spent quite a few weeks in Saratoga Springs in my time. Lovely little place with loads of nice people, all very lefty too so they probably would have lapped up Sinead back in the day

ken foree
08/12/2006, 2:44 PM
Sweet jesus I've spent quite a few weeks in Saratoga Springs in my time. Lovely little place with loads of nice people, all very lefty too so they probably would have lapped up Sinead back in the day

nice one jebus! was it in august for the track season? yea it's a great town in the summer, the parting glass pub used have all the jockey/trainer lads down there, some great times and stories with them fellas.

jebus
08/12/2006, 6:00 PM
nice one jebus! was it in august for the track season? yea it's a great town in the summer, the parting glass pub used have all the jockey/trainer lads down there, some great times and stories with them fellas.

I was there for june in 2002 and june/july in 2003 visiting a friend who warned me to get out before track season started, apparantly a lot of Saratogans head to the hills for the track invasion. That said I had managed to get myself a job at the track for August of 2003 until the American government shagged up my fast-track Visa and I had to leave the country.

Parting Glass was/is a great pub though, some good times had in there with some good people. I remember one time I was waiting for a mate of mine in there and I got talking with two lads in the Irish jersey at the bar and sure enough within 20 minutes of talking them I had a job if I needed it and a floor to crash on until I got myself set up. I had a place to stay already but it was still sound of them to offer it.

Reggie
09/12/2006, 11:40 PM
My first gig will be Iron Maiden on the 20th of this month not looking forward to it TBH. Doing it as a favour to my mate.

steno
10/12/2006, 4:02 PM
Red Hot Chilli peppers and Queens of the Stoneage in Chicago in 2002 was my first gig. QOTSA were brilliant the chillis were good as well but the Queens were better

paul_oshea
11/12/2006, 9:10 AM
My first gig will be Iron Maiden on the 20th of this month not looking forward to it TBH. Doing it as a favour to my mate.

id take the ticket off ye so!!!!

Drumcondra Red
12/12/2006, 10:19 AM
The Drifters in Donegal when I was only a little fella in the 80's on my own would've been Radiohead in the RDS in 1997, I think

Beavis
13/12/2006, 3:28 PM
The Wolfe Tones:eek: in the Temple when I was 14 and it was 18s:cool: .There was a big fight outside afterwards, the Garda showed up and suddenly everyone dissappeared leaving us two young lads waiting for our lift standing opposite a group of townies/junkies huddled in the stairway of those flats across the road, in a dark, deserted corner of the inner city. We were bricking it, but the mates Dad showed up just as the lads were beginning to eye us up. I'd say I probably could of taken them anyway;)

BohsPartisan
13/12/2006, 10:54 PM
Well depends on your definition of Gig. Saw a lot of dodgy cabaret acts when I was a kid with my parents. First gig I went to that I wanted to was Feile 94. I think the first band I saw was that grunge/punk/metal band from Kilkenny that had a song called Basket case. Can't remember what they were called though.
Highlights were The Prodigy, Blur and Elvis Costello. Remember seeing the beautiful south and enjoying it but was extremely hammered. There were probably other great moments at that gig but as I said I was very very drunk at the time.

Eoingull
13/12/2006, 11:48 PM
My first concert was Transvision Vamp back in late 1989 in the Point Depot...or Theatre...I used to suspect the name of the venue changed to reflect how "classy" the band were...so it must have been Depot!

onenilgameover
14/12/2006, 3:59 AM
sunstroke the one were the chillis didnt show and faith no more had to play..was in dallyer and i wore a tie-dyed top...i was and still am cool...think that was the first

onenilgameover
14/12/2006, 4:01 AM
looks like it was 93!

http://www.thirdav.com/hd_discog/clubs/V_sunstroke.html

carrickharp
14/12/2006, 7:26 AM

Can't wait for it myself!!!! Think you might be suprised they put on a great show!

BohsPartisan
14/12/2006, 9:01 AM
the Point Depot...or Theatre...
I used to think they were two different venues on the same grounds.

Wolfie
16/12/2006, 12:35 AM
Inspiral Carpets at the SFX in 1992. Good oul Clint Boon and his mad bowl head of hair.

Have a vague recollection of being bamboozled on LCL Pills Lager that cost about 80p a can. Classy.

Reggie
17/12/2006, 5:51 PM
Can't wait for it myself!!!! Think you might be suprised they put on a great show!
They probably do its just i have heard one of their songs and it was ok not to impressed hopefully i will be proved wrong.