PDA

View Full Version : What's the story?

niamh
05/07/2001, 6:37 PM
with the Celtic match? Score? big crowd? good atmosphere? team? tactics? performance considering the tactics?

surprised no has posted anything yet...

niamh
05/07/2001, 7:06 PM
Have been going around today convinced it was Friday...but it is thursday and the game is tomorrow.
:confused:

would appreciate the up date tomorrow though...

Pablo
05/07/2001, 7:23 PM
i dont know about ye but i'm not really that excited about the $eltic match. i would be if we were playing to go top of the league against Bohs or something? anyone agree?

Jack_2001
05/07/2001, 9:34 PM
Yeah, I can't help but agree. I personally am not going coz I feel that this is just a money-spinning exercise by City, the result doesn't matter, it doesn't matter how we play, we won't benefit from playing Celtic, coz a) celtic won't have a full team, b) no one in their team is going to give 100% c) if by some chance they do play superior football on the night it's not as if Cork are gonna learn lessons from it...

No, I'm not too pushed about this game at all. I think people are reacting to the hype, just because it's "Celtic". If people sat back and thought about Celtic's current team, I don't think there'd be such a rush to go and see them for that price

Neil
05/07/2001, 10:52 PM
I don't give a **** about the game tomorrow night. I don't even want to think about the prospect of the Shed being taken over by 'West Brit-Sky Sport loving-Barstool supporters'. It will surely be the first time Cork City supporters will be outnumbered by "away" support in Turners Cross.

(As someone said) I wonder will there be a PA announcement "welcoming the thousands of Celtic supporters to Ireland"?

niamh
05/07/2001, 10:54 PM
The result will be interesting though. I am not a Celtic fan and personally I would like to City win just to shut all the Cork Celtic fans up. I do hope they put up a good performance however and that the game is interesting as it might attrach some people back for league games. For a lot of people tomorrow will be their first time at the Cross. I know a few City fans who aren't going simply because of the price of the tickets. Bit steep IMO.

Jim Smith
05/07/2001, 10:56 PM
...is because I'm a Rangers fan and if I can't see my beloved Bears then I'll support anything that is playing against the tic.

Neil
05/07/2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by niamh
the game is interesting as it might attrach some people back for league games. For a lot of people tomorrow will be their first time at the Cross.
I doubt it! The average Cork-based Celtic "supporter" wouldn't necesarily be a football fan, and definitely wouldn't be committed enough to support a team every week (when it involves not being in a pub to watch the game)

niamh
05/07/2001, 11:13 PM
I doubt they'd be regulars but even if they returned for one or two or indeed they might discover the joy of live, in the flesh football and like it...

Jim Smith
06/07/2001, 12:16 AM
There might be a few converts all right. That's how I got into following City. I'd been an avid football fan when I lived in Scotland (the Rangers comment was a joke, honest) but I'd never got around to going to watch City. I could blame bad PR etc but the truth was I was just too lazy. Anyway, my son was getting into football and I was damned if I was going to let him 'support' ManU or the like so I took him to see real football and I've never looked back. Much more likely to bring in bigger crowds would be a good run at the start of the league with a few goals. Nothing like a bit of success to boost the crowds.

The price is a bit steep, but I wonder just how much Celtic are costing. When the dust has settled over the two games, I suspect the real financial winners will be Celtic. Will they be the ones accused of ripping people off...:confused:

Neil
06/07/2001, 7:04 AM
Mooney is starting in goal anyway [Echo]...

As someone said, it looks like Gunther is gonna roll out the oldies for this game. Surely if we are to gain anything from the game, it would be better to give the young guys a chance to play. Good games from O'Rourke, Bennet, O'Flynn and it could give them real confidence to go on and start the season flying.

Coran Mc Sweene
06/07/2001, 9:41 AM
What time is the Celtic v City match on tomorrow and whats the cost?

I hope City will play their best as it will make a lot of "armchair supporters" to get up of their backside and come to City matches to watch real live football.

COME ON CITY!

James
06/07/2001, 9:44 AM
6.30 KO

tickets £30 for stand
£25 for shed/st annes/derrynane end

James
06/07/2001, 9:46 AM
think there is still tickets available also!

passed the ground bout an hour ago and there were 2 chippers setting up outside already as well as a load of cars outside, and people getting ground or whatever ready inside.

Pauro 76
06/07/2001, 9:50 AM
$30 (pound sign is broke on this damn pc..) for a friendly! Thats way too feckin steep! Personally i hope Cork do well myself, and it might shut the barstool supporters up too. Wonder how much Derry v Real tickets cost then....

Coran Mc Sweene
06/07/2001, 10:24 AM
£30.00!!! Your not serious! That way too steep. I remember City played Celtic a few years ago and they charged the same as a normal league game.

One thing for sure is I won't be going tomorrow.

James
06/07/2001, 10:43 AM
One thing for sure is I won't be going tomorrow.

thats good cause the match is today
6.30pm Ko

youd have looked a right fool turning up a day late:D

Coran Mc Sweene
06/07/2001, 10:50 AM
Its on tonight!! Just as well you told me I would have looked like a total prat if I decided to go!

James
06/07/2001, 1:39 PM
from the eircom site (http://mmm.eircom.ie/soccer/eircomleague/news/index.asp?StoryId=4057&PageCount=-20)

Kelvin is back and raring to go 9 ( Yipee ). was wondering actually why i saw the burger vans getting ready at 9.30am this morning. probably checking they had all the supplies ready :D

Missing Tonight
Skippy - on holidays
Bennet & O' Flynn - injured
Herrick - is doubtful with flu

Leonard
06/07/2001, 1:57 PM
Oh dear, if Herro is getting the flu in the middle of the summer, things aren't boding well for the winter.

joe
06/07/2001, 2:00 PM
Len,

if you're around Cork this evening there's a bbq in Michelle & Trevor's.

niamh
07/07/2001, 5:47 PM
Skippy - on holidays
Bennet & O' Flynn - injured
Herrick - is doubtful with flu

Am I missing some freak weather in Cork that there is flu going around? Or is it someone's way of telling us that Herrick will not be playing cause he doesn't want to, hence the crap excuse...

rebel yell
07/07/2001, 9:14 PM
I bet we will only hear about the money from this game if it's loss-making. If City have made a big profit it will be swallowed up in
expenses. Then what benefit was it really to the Cork soccer public. The word 'jamboree' was truly coined in Cork!