PDA

View Full Version : Jim McLaughlin

seand
29/11/2006, 12:48 PM
By any standards Jim McLaughlin is a legend. I'm trying to work out just how successful he was as a manager. I reckon he won at least 16 MAJOR trophies...

Dundalk (3 League, 3 FAI Cup, 2 League Cup)
74-5
75-6 League Champions
76-7 FAI Cup Winners (Leinster Cup Winners, PresCup r-u)
77-8 League Cup Winners (Leinster Cup Winners, PresCup r-u)
78-9 League Champions, FAI Cup Winners
79-80 (League Runners up, Presidents Cup Winners)
80-1 FAI Cup Winners, League Cup Winners (League Runners up, Presidents Cup Winners)
81-2 League Champions (Presidents Cup Winners)
82-3 (LeagueCup ru, Pres Cup ru)

Shamrock Rovers (3 League, 2 FAI Cup)
83-4 League Champions
84-5 League Champions, FAI Cup Winners
85-6 League Champions, FAI Cup Winners

Not sure exactly when he moved to Derry

Derry City (1 League, 1 FAI Cup, 1 League Cup)
86-7? Div1 title?
87-8?
88-9 TREBLE
89-90?
90-1 League Cup – still in charge?

Was Jim manager, joint manager or assistant manager to Pat Byrne at Shels in the early 90s? Was he involved when they won the league?
Did he have a spell at Drogheda?

ColinR
29/11/2006, 12:53 PM
think he was assistant at shels alright.

he took over drogs in 93/94 after devlin was sacked, ended up getting relegated that season, promoted the next season, and relegated on last day of the season 95/96, and he resigned after that.

he has some record for winning trophies alright, shame none under us though!!

Dave drummerboy
29/11/2006, 5:39 PM
think he was assistant at shels alright.

he took over drogs in 93/94 after devlin was sacked, ended up getting relegated that season, promoted the next season, and relegated on last day of the season 95/96, and he resigned after that.

he has some record for winning trophies alright, shame none under us though!!

Not many managers have good records with you for winning trophys .

green-blood
29/11/2006, 8:05 PM
83-4 League Champions

86-7? Div1 title?

eh 86 maybe??!!??!!

oriel
29/11/2006, 8:41 PM
He had some european record too, managed us 74 - 83, played in europe every season bar 74/75, 77/78 + his final season of 82/83. From 1976 - 1982 Dundalk were unbeaten at home in europe, some seasons playing two rounds and one (79) playing in 3, record finally broken by Liverpool.

A true legend and a gentleman aswell.

ndrog
30/11/2006, 11:38 AM
By any standards Jim McLaughlin is a legend. I'm trying to work out just how successful he was as a manager. I reckon he won at least 16 MAJOR trophies...

74-5
75-6 League Champions
80-1 FAI Cup Winners, League Cup Winners (League Runners up, Presidents Cup Winners)

83-4 League Champions

86-7? Div1 title?
87-8?
88-9 TREBLE
89-90?

Was Jim manager, joint manager or assistant manager to Pat Byrne at Shels in the early 90s? Was he involved when they won the league?
Did he have a spell at Drogheda?

FFS we all know about your illustrious HISTORY .No need to start a whole thread about it .

OneRedArmy
30/11/2006, 12:31 PM

74-5
75-6 League Champions

83-4 League Champions

86-7? Div1 title?
87-8?
88-9 TREBLE
89-90?

Did he have a spell at Drogheda?Does bringing Jim McLaughlin back form part of your approach to the IAG group to beg your way into the Premiership next season?

seand
30/11/2006, 1:21 PM
My apologies, I thought one or two people on here might interested in Irish football. (I'd stick a rolly eyes smiley in here but they don't work for me for some reason)

I was trying to establish what he won where, ie not at Dundalk. His record is comparable to that of Stein, Paisley, Capello, Ferguson, Sacchi, Herrera- this might be mildly interesting to some people with an interest in Irish football. I'm sorry he did well at Dundalk, I didn't mean to tread on the rather delicate toes of the Drogs. Can I take this opportunity to apologise for mentioning an historic Athlone match in another thread, that was obviously another attempt to get Athlone into the Premier.

Anyway, surely this post serves the ultimate purpose of any foot.ie thread, i.e. it mentions Shamrock Rovers, so that should be enough to turn it into Bohs-Rovers slagging match!

hoops1
30/11/2006, 1:29 PM
My apologies, I thought one or two people on here might interested in Irish football. (I'd stick a rolly eyes smiley in here but they don't work for me for some reason)

I was trying to establish what he won where, ie not at Dundalk. His record is comparable to that of Stein, Paisley, Capello, Ferguson, Sacchi, Herrera- this might be mildly interesting to some people with an interest in Irish football. I'm sorry he did well at Dundalk, I didn't mean to tread on the rather delicate toes of the Drogs. Can I take this opportunity to apologise for mentioning an historic Athlone match in another thread, that was obviously another attempt to get Athlone into the Premier.

Anyway, surely this post serves the ultimate purpose of any foot.ie thread, i.e. it mentions Shamrock Rovers, so that should be enough to turn it into Bohs-Rovers slagging match!

Time of the month?
Go to bed with a hot water bottle, good girl!

NY Hoop
30/11/2006, 1:53 PM
Time of the month?

LOL!!:D :D

Dundalk have to keep their name in the media somehow even if it is a waste of time. I'm sure I can speak for all Rovers fans in saying I'm absolutely heartbroken that we will miss oriel next season:D

By the way Jim McLaughlin is a Rovers legend.

KOH

Louth4sam
30/11/2006, 2:11 PM
Time of the month?

Why does that work for you?

ndrog
30/11/2006, 2:36 PM

Jees man ! I was only havin a laugh Jim McLaughlin is a great guy :)

seand
30/11/2006, 3:06 PM
Jees man ! I was only havin a laugh Jim McLaughlin is a great guy :)

Me too, saracasm doesn't seem to carry well on messagebaords! :)

The reason I started the thread was cos I saw a list somewhere of the most successful managers in Europe, including Jock Stein, Bob Paisley, Fabio Capello. I got to thinking that trophy for trophy Jim's probably up there with the best of them.