colster
29/11/2006, 12:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvB1-0z8fro

BrayUnknowns
29/11/2006, 12:55 PM
Special

NeilMcD
29/11/2006, 1:31 PM
Had the joy to be there and I nearly floated out of the stadium. Great game and goal.

eirebhoy
29/11/2006, 1:42 PM
I'm suprised Totti's goal at the weekend isn't getting as much coverage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zn_sEFNXdA

That's one of the most difficult things you could possibly do. To swerve a shot full blast on the volley with the outside of your bad foot must be unbelievable hard (especially from that angle). There's plenty of players who could do what Ronnie did (although most wouldn't try it). I doubt there's many who could do what Totti did.

NeilMcD
29/11/2006, 1:48 PM
Not sure I would agree with you there. Ronaldinho did it with is standing leg also. Both great goal. Totti seems to be on form this season and doing it for Roma. Wonder why he retired from Italian international football. He had not done it for them in years.

Seems to be a bit of a John Barnes type player.

eirebhoy
29/11/2006, 3:17 PM
Totti's always on form for Roma! ;) Don't know about the Barnes comparison, Italian fans rate Totti very highly. I'd compare him more to Henry tbf. Henry doesn't exactly set the world alight for France.

The more I look at Ronnie's goal the more I appreciate it actually. I watched that match in the pub and it didn't exactly turn heads at the time. He's one of the greatest players ever I must say. :)

pete
29/11/2006, 4:03 PM
If the score was 0-0 & Ronaldinho attempted the manager would have gone nuts. I think he deliberately tried to entertain as winning 3-0.

Totti was in great form for his club last season but no good in the WC. Was kinbd of the same with Del Piero when he played for Italy.

NeilMcD
29/11/2006, 4:27 PM
The Barnes comparision just means, great at club level but not great for his country.

mypost
30/11/2006, 3:00 AM
If the score was 0-0 & Ronaldinho attempted the manager would have gone nuts. I think he deliberately tried to entertain as winning 3-0.

It's the kind of goal you score, when you're winning 3-0 against cannon fodder in injury time. :o

razor
30/11/2006, 8:39 AM
Another non penalty given for them to go 1 up. Its too easy.
Gudjohnsen going to ground very very softly not for the first time.

I hope Baby Ron got a yellow card for removing his shirt. ;)

Ash
30/11/2006, 9:24 AM
The Villareal keeper later said (apparently) that he just
dived for the sake of diving as he hadn't a clue where
the ball was going!

gustavo
30/11/2006, 9:40 AM

Totti was in great form for his club last season but no good in the WC. Was kinbd of the same with Del Piero when he played for Italy.

In fairness to him he was just back from a broken leg , didnt stop Giles and Dunphy savaging him , not that you would expect them to know about the leg.

NeilMcD
30/11/2006, 10:15 AM
Ronaldinho was booked for removing his shirt and it was not in injury time it was the 88th. Minute. Gudjuonson did dive for the penalty in the 1st half.

eirebhoy
04/12/2006, 1:05 PM
The Barnes comparision just means, great at club level but not great for his country.
I just watched this and thought you might be interested. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT7Eb4uLfaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBbcDAxlG0k

And Totti wasn't even at his best at the WC. :) He set up 4 goals and played the vital pass a few times too. He has the best variety of passes in the world.

NeilMcD
06/12/2006, 9:39 AM
I think Totti is a great player for Roma but for some reason he struggles when he plays for Italy. Not saying he has never played well for Italy but he has never replicated the form that he has for Roma. Probably one of the reasons he retired early too.

eirebhoy
06/12/2006, 10:54 AM
I think Totti is a great player for Roma but for some reason he struggles when he plays for Italy. Not saying he has never played well for Italy but he has never replicated the form that he has for Roma. Probably one of the reasons he retired early too.
I do agree that he's much better for Roma but I still think he's terribly underrated by most people. This is the reason for his international retirement:

The odyssey of Totti’s left foot started against Empoli last February: on a tackle by Richard Vanigli the Roma captain’s ankle gets twisted like a corkscrew -- ligaments tear to shreds and fibula goes to pieces. A super-speedy recovery allows Totti to play a key role in Italy’s journey to World Cup victory with 10 screws in his left ankle. But throughout Germany 2006 there’s no getting over the feeling that to field Totti is like serving dinner to rowdy relatives on granma’s precious china: impressive on special occasions, but everyone’s just dreading a crash at any moment. And after the azzurri’s victory, the announcement that shocked Italy: Totti’s feet are no longer available to the world champion squad, at least till 2007.

It’s Totti’s decision, and it’s final. “I won’t play for the nazionale as long as there are screws in my ankle,” he’s been quoted as saying. “My mind is only on Roma,’ he says.