PDA

View Full Version : What a Gutsy performance

Counting Crow
01/11/2002, 10:00 PM
I know there were mistakes in the game, what game doesn't see them - let's give the lads some slack on this night.

Overall it was one of the gutsiest performance for a long time. They ran themselves into the ground.

Up against a strong Bohs team ( you got to give them some credit ) and one of the most inept performances by a referee in years ( even Dick looked good against this **** ), the lads dug deep when George got the RED and could so easily have won it.

JO'F worked his socks off.......... he is such a talent and rightly was surrounded by autograph hunters for 15 mins after the game.

Mick made a couple of really good saves ( the one in the first half was top drawer......... and what about the little dribble in the second half?

Murray was very strong and as the game went on won everything in the air. Good goal also. He's a good find.

Overall, it was one of the most entertaining games for a long time and a great advertisment for the LoI.

The Bohs fans added to it with those flags and flares. Just one question, where did they get the "BLACK TOILET ROLLS" - must be a Dublin thing?

This League isn't over yet. We,ve shown we can live with the top team ( even with 10 players ). We will beat Pat's on Monday and mark my words this Bohs team will drop more points.

In summary......another night to remember @ the Cross. Eanna, you're missing a great season no matter what the cynics say.

Roll on Monday...........! Personally, I can't wait.

eoinh
01/11/2002, 11:51 PM
will murray stay on for next season?

im going to miss mondays match as im working. Bohs are playing shels next weekend. hopefully shels can do some damage for us.

Neil
02/11/2002, 7:44 AM
It was a gutsy performance, BUT why should we constantly be happy with the Noel O'Mahoney-esque put em under pressure rubbish?

If we had a manager who could organise his team and instill confidence in them we wouldn't be watching our lads run around like headless chickens for the first half.

Liam puts Benno on the wing (isin't a winger), leaves Greg on the bench (having a great season), plays Daly (finished as a player), takes off Rennie (?), insists on playing Carey (when he clearly needs a break), doesn't even have Mucky in the squad, leaves Woods on when he had run out of steam, and IMO is wrong to leave Warren out of the team.

I felt sorry for John O'Flynn. He ran himself into the ground for CCFC last night. Players of his calibre deserve a manager who can make the most of the squad we have at the moment.

The worrying thought is that the likes of Flynn, George, Rennie, Murray, Greg (etc.) won't hang around if Liam Murphy continues to plod along in his haphazard style of management.

Rant over.

Time for a fry!

Peadar
02/11/2002, 8:52 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Time for a fry!

Am I too late for some of that fry Neil?

I, as per usual, had to listen to the match on Radio 1, but I have to say it was gripping stuff and while Bohs did seem to put us under the cosh at times it sounded like City battled bravely and aren't so far off the standard of Bohs. I got the impression that we had the best chances of the second half. One where O'Flynn had an effort come back to O'Grady and he blasted over? And another where Woods had a "free header" from a corner?
Kenny is one of the best managers in the country. Not just because of his knowledge of the game but principally because of his personality and his ability to communicate his game plan to his players. He had a reputation before he came to Bohs and commands respect. There aren't many people like him in the Irish game so I'm not an advocate of replacing Murphy just for the sake of it.
If we're going to replace him, let's at least look for the right guy.

Neil
02/11/2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Peadar
Kenny is one of the best managers in the country. Not just because of his knowledge of the game but principally because of his personality and his ability to communicate his game plan to his players.

If we're going to replace him, let's at least look for the right guy.

Spot on Peadar. IMO Steven Kenny may not necessarily have better knowledge of the game than Liam Murphy, but there is no comparing their personalities and charisma and ability to communicate with players.

You look at people like Ron Atkinson or Kevin Keegan. Thick as a plank but full of charisma and have the ability to make players listen to them.

Peadar, would you like to see Damian Richardson back?

Peadar
02/11/2002, 10:56 AM
Peadar, would you like to see Damian Richardson back?

I like Rico because he's honest and takes no sh1t, but he had the players at Rovers to achieve much more success than they did. I know they're worse than ever now but they'll tell you that they're "rebuilding".
I'm not sure if he has what it takes to put City on top and keep them there.
I'm inclined towards the John Aldridge type management so if you want to know who I'm looking for then think of that kind of manager?

Having trouble coming up with a name?
Exactly why I can't think of anyone in the Irish game at the moment who could make us great.

Neil
02/11/2002, 11:17 AM
I'm inclined towards the John Aldridge type management

A manager who wears his heart on his sleeve... Can be seen and heard on the touchline... Isin't afraid to stand up to players... Has time for the fans... Turns up to Supporters Clubs meetings and takes and interest in the supporters...

Actually that reminds me of another fella from Liverpool!

But anyway (!)... What would be our chances of getting John Aldridge? or Ronnie Whelan? How about Dinny Irwin?

Colm
02/11/2002, 2:04 PM
What would be our chances of getting John Aldridge? correct me if im wrong but didnt Aldridge apply for the Bohs job before Kenny got it?

Colm
02/11/2002, 2:14 PM
If we had a manager who could organise his team and instill confidence in them we wouldn't be watching our lads run around like headless chickens for the first half.
Exactly, his tactics are non-existant and his team selections leave a hell of a lot to be desired. Carey badly needs a few games rest and Greg should be starting ahead of him at the moment. Deccie is past it and Gaz/Benno should be instead of him.
Gunther is a liability to CCFC and if we dont win the league (it looks like we wont now) it will be because of him and the fact that he will never learn from his mistakes.

Rico for City

Gary
02/11/2002, 2:34 PM
Gutsy, exactly what the fook is gutsy. If you went into the HorseShoe at 7.15 and asked 11 guys to play they would put in a gutsy performance!

Yes City played well, most of them anyway, But Grady aint fit, Bennet is NOT a winger and Deccie is past it.

the Ref showed a masterclass in ineptitude last night, but that aint an excuse either.

The long and short of it is that l@nger Gunther absolutely has to go. The fool was complaining in todays echo about the sending off. I dunno was it or not as i was in the St Annes end. Poinyt is, is that maybe if the gowl opened his mouth and remoinstrated a bit, things may have been different. It would at least show that he may have an interst in what is going on. Patsy lookied like he was going to explode. What did Gunther do. Sweet FA, thats what. And another thing, a few times last night wehen play was stopped for whatever reason, you wouild see Kenny shouting instructions out at his players. What was Gunther doing? Fook ALL. The guy is a ***** and he has to go. We have a great squad of players, but with that fool at the helm we are only going one direction!

cityblade
02/11/2002, 3:49 PM
First the plus points murry motm oflynn maturaty beyond his years greg has to play in every game great team spirit The cross looked `great.
Now the minus a manager who has no tactics, no spirit ,no bloody idea.
The city fans seem to wait for us to score to find their voice.
Hawkins for whinging to the fourth official,and then saying on tonites echo it had nothing to do with him!
Rutherford for a 9.9 dive and the dub ref didnt book him!
Probebly no george monday nite

pete
02/11/2002, 7:50 PM
I was in the stand for first time i'd say in a year & although had a good view of all the action the atmosphere a bit muted there....

Anyways considering the nmistakes Gunther made was a courageous performance by city especially when down to 10 men. City were playing the best side in the country & bohs looked like they running out of steam at the end & will surely know they were in a game.

Carey should not be playing.
O'Grady either isn't fit enough or just looked good last year cos they rest so crap.
Dropping Bennet was very strange (could have taken deccie or o'grady off)
Substituting Reynolds (not for the first time) was very very strange & cannot understand.

Was definitely the best footballing game i've seen this season, 2 goals, 2 chances off posts & a sending off in front 6000+ fans on perfect night for football. There was some scrappy play & hoofing but you get that at all levels, but for a top of the tabel clash was a great advert for the eL. I'd be amazed if any sunshine supporter didn't come back for more on Monday. Don't think you'd get better value for 8 euro anyway.

The city players showed they had gusts & pride in their play yesterday - i think every player out there gave 100% which is all you can ask.

Peadar
02/11/2002, 8:12 PM
Originally posted by pete
Substituting Reynolds (not for the first time) was very very strange & cannot understand.

I'm open to correction here but wasn't Alan Reynolds booked last night? Isn't he suspended for Monday nights game as a result of reaching five penalty points?
When we had to dig deep there was too much of a risk that he'd pick up another yellow and get sent off.

Just a thought.

niamh
04/11/2002, 9:58 AM
:eek: Could we have some rare insight into Liam's thought pattern??

pete
05/11/2002, 11:22 AM

I'm open to correction here but wasn't Alan Reynolds booked last night? Isn't he suspended for Monday nights game as a result of reaching five penalty points?
When we had to dig deep there was too much of a risk that he'd pick up another yellow and get sent off.

Just a thought.

Nope, Reynolds played last night when he got taken off again.

:confused:

joe
06/11/2002, 6:04 PM
Originally posted by pete

Nope, Reynolds played last night when he got taken off again.

:confused:

and apparently headed straight down the tunnel and was last seen heading in the direction of Waterford

Neil
06/11/2002, 6:12 PM
I suppose he does work in Waterford... I hope that's all it is.
If we lose Rennie because of that pr!ck Liam Murphy... I swear to God...!

Éanna
06/11/2002, 6:18 PM
If we lose Rennie because of that pr!ck Liam Murphy... I swear to God...!
forget collecting money for a drum and a flag- we need to get ourselves a gallows and a rent-an-executioner :)

Colm
06/11/2002, 6:28 PM
If we lose Rennie because of that pr!ck Liam Murphy... I swear to God...! He still wont be in danger of getting the sack. The only danger he will be in will be from a militant group of very angry (and i mean very angry ) ccfc supporters!:)

Schumi
07/11/2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by COLM
The only danger he will be in will be from a militant group of very angry (and i mean very angry ) ccfc supporters!:)
Save it for the last game, we could do with some entertainment.:D

Shed End John
07/11/2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Schumi

Save it for the last game, we could do with some entertainment.:D

Well put. Imagine that cardboard cut-out trying to escape from all of us........he wouldn't stand a chance. :D

Murphy Out Now!!!