PDA

View Full Version : Geraghty to run for Dail?

BohsPartisan
28/11/2006, 9:29 AM
From GAA.ie

Geraghty may contest Meath North

Monday, November 27

Meath footballer Graham Geraghty may be about to go forward as a Fine Gael candidate for Meath West in the upcoming General Election.

Read the rest if you dare! (http://www.gaa.ie/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=16218)

Talk about the lowest common demoniator. Between this, John O Leary running in Dublin North and John O Mahony in Mayo it is patently obvious that the main parties have nothing to say.

paul_oshea
28/11/2006, 9:55 AM
hmm its a very tactical ploy by fine gael, big gaa background in those areas, and particularly mainly fainna fail.....

bennocelt
28/11/2006, 10:13 AM
im sure he will get the female vote, but then again maybe not!;)

Macy
28/11/2006, 10:33 AM
FF were trying to get Shane Byrne to run in Wicklow too, seeing as they can't decide between the 3 (who include an independent who jumped ship) councillors to join Roche.

I don't really mind if the person is genuinely interested in the politics of the party, it's the ones like Parlon and O'Gorman who court several parties and play them off against each other in terms of promises that really get me. Or perhaps that's wrong, the people who vote for these people who clearly have no political convictions that really get me.

Maz
28/11/2006, 10:35 AM
It was in the news last week that John O' Leary former Dublin keeper and captain was running for FF

BohsPartisan
28/11/2006, 10:36 AM
Yes, for Jim Glennon's old seat.

paul_oshea
28/11/2006, 10:37 AM
ya we mentioned that above Maz!!!

Dodge
28/11/2006, 10:39 AM
Didn't the GPA threaten to run for election in some seats? FF trying to get there first?

Maz
28/11/2006, 10:41 AM
ya we mentioned that above Maz!!!

Well excuse me!!!!

paul_oshea
28/11/2006, 10:52 AM
its wrong i think, i mean have any of these guys bar o'mahony even any interest in local politics?!?! they will be swayed by the party heads, with no real gumption of what they want for their constituents, how to get what their constituents want or anything.

Macy
28/11/2006, 10:56 AM
Talk about the lowest common demoniator. Between this, John O Leary running in Dublin North and John O Mahony in Mayo it is patently obvious that the main parties have nothing to say.
We all forgot about John Bailey too, although he's at least is a councillor and has a bit of background with the party.

Macy
28/11/2006, 10:57 AM
they will be swayed by the party heads, with no real gumption of what they want for their constituents, how to get what their constituents want or anything.
The constituents get the people they deserve. Never underestimate the stupidity of the Irish Electorate for falling for this type of thing, just as to be corrupt is to garantee a poll topping performance.

pete
29/11/2006, 12:34 PM
The constituents get the people they deserve. Never underestimate the stupidity of the Irish Electorate for falling for this type of thing, just as to be corrupt is to garantee a poll topping performance.

We (the country) get the politicians we deserve.

Surprised with Gerathy given his well publicised personal difficulties. If this was the UK or the US he'd never have a chance.

paul_oshea
29/11/2006, 12:50 PM
US he'd never have a chance

hmmm, are you serious? jesse the body ventura to name JUST one.UK, the self-procliamed PC ( racist ) host that was the leader of the UKIP: Mr Kilroy-Silk.

Dodge
29/11/2006, 1:37 PM
hmmm, are you serious? jesse the body ventura to name JUST one.UK, the self-procliamed PC ( racist ) host that was the leader of the UKIP: Mr Kilroy-Silk.

Spot on, in the US there are loads and loads of ex NFLers in local, state and federal governments. One senator even changed his first name so he'd have the same name of his local hero father...

Macy
29/11/2006, 2:22 PM
UK, the self-procliamed PC ( racist ) host that was the leader of the UKIP: Mr Kilroy-Silk.
Not sure Kilroy Silk was ever leader of UKIP or even their MEP group, I think it was a row over him going for it (the leadership) that lead to him leaving.

paul_oshea
29/11/2006, 3:09 PM
Not sure Kilroy Silk was ever leader of UKIP or even their MEP group, I think it was a row over him going for it (the leadership) that lead to him leaving.

sorry, correct, the leader of the party at the time didnt appreciate him going for it even though he had a 60% backing so he left the party ( mainly because the leader wasn't hardline enough for him )

BohsPartisan
29/11/2006, 3:39 PM
Of course Kilroy Silk was once in the Labour Party and one of the major cheerleaders of Kinnocks witchhunt of Militant and the left in the Party which paved the way for New Labour.

WeAreRovers
29/11/2006, 3:45 PM
Of course Kilroy Silk was once in the Labour Party and one of the major cheerleaders of Kinnocks witchhunt of Militant and the left in the Party which paved the way for New Labour.

if Militant had won that particular battle the Tories would still be in power. Then again, you're lot are just a rebranded Millies are you not?

KOH

wws
29/11/2006, 3:48 PM
Surprised with Gerathy given his well publicised personal difficulties..........

....what.. with Australians?

paul_oshea
29/11/2006, 4:05 PM
...so no harm he got a few smacks from the aussies, he hit a couple of refs in his time and players, leading in particular to "expulsion" from the G.A.A, i think pete is refering to his all-round thuggery.

Aberdonian Stu
30/11/2006, 10:06 AM
....what.. with Australians?

Lads we will be opening up foot.ie to serious defamation issues if we go down this road because those of us who know are aware this has nothing to do with the Aussie issue.

Lets leave his personal issues aside please, trust me this has nothing to do with my personal views on Geraghty, this is just a can of worms that can get us in a whole heap of trouble.

paul_oshea
30/11/2006, 10:08 AM
ya you are right aberdonian_stu, how did you know about them though? i shouldn't have put them in, looking back it could be viewed as slander and shouldn't be posted on a public forum.

Dodge
30/11/2006, 10:19 AM
Lads we will be opening up foot.ie to serious defamation issues if we go down this road because those of us who know are aware this has nothing to do with the Aussie issue.

In fairness wws' post was meant in jest and I thought it was funny. If someone decides to answer a rhetorical question you can't really blame him...

bennocelt
30/11/2006, 11:38 AM
ya you are right aberdonian_stu, how did you know about them though? i shouldn't have put them in, looking back it could be viewed as slander and shouldn't be posted on a public forum.

i think quite a lot of people know about Geraghty's "reputation";)

BohsPartisan
30/11/2006, 1:08 PM
i think quite a lot of people know about Geraghty's "reputation";)

Ah come on, he's just MISUNDERSTOOD! ;)
:D

Aberdonian Stu
30/11/2006, 4:25 PM
Guys just please trust me, it's a slippery slope to libel (not slander, there's a misconception that libel refers specifically to print when the difference is based on whether the act is recorded or not).

I'm sure most people here heard the stories the same way everyone else did.

WeAreRovers
30/11/2006, 4:35 PM
Guys just please trust me, it's a slippery slope to libel (not slander, there's a misconception that libel refers specifically to print when the difference is based on whether the act is recorded or not).

I'm sure most people here heard the stories the same way everyone else did.

Stu - You're technically correct of course but there's not a chance in hell of the said gent going to court over any of the alleged stories. Waaay to much to lose.

KOH

Saint Tom
04/12/2006, 8:08 PM
who mentioned the female electorate?:eek: thought his whinging on the late late over hill 16 boo boys was priceless!!

cheifo
07/12/2006, 12:06 PM
Geraghty appeared on the late late show along with Paddy Cullen a couple a few years back.Both had been the victim of malicous rumours which turned out to be complete ********.For the record Geraghtys wife appeared on as well.

Royal rover
08/12/2006, 11:46 AM
Geraghty was recently on holidays, and standing in the airport with his family, when a bunch of Dubs started roaring abuse at him in front of his family, fair play to him he kept his cool, i think him running as a canditate for FG is a scandal, in all fairness you couldn't imagine him on Questions and Answers but then again Bush is the President of the USA... so anything is possible...

cheifo
09/12/2006, 1:58 AM
Anybody see Des Bishop on Q&A this week.Lord help us:rolleyes:

paul_oshea
11/12/2006, 10:37 AM
no what was he like? what do you mean by lord help us?

cheifo
12/12/2006, 7:27 AM
He was bloody awful.Came across like he just had no interest in the topics being discussed.Q&A needs a bit of spicing up but the non politicos on the beebs Question time seem to have a grasp of issues being discussed.

BohsPartisan
12/12/2006, 10:48 AM
You can see some of the clips on the RTE website.