PDA

View Full Version : Who knows Maiko?

Metrostars
27/11/2006, 4:41 PM
Apparently she lived in Galway for a while, became a fan and just completed a round trip of a few thousand miles from Japan just to see GUFC play Kilkenny:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10084243&postcount=92

JC_GUFC
27/11/2006, 5:17 PM
I was talking to her briefly in Kilkenny.

Unbelievable that someone can travel halfway across the world to see United play and people from Galway won't travel 15 minutes to see us play.

How can anyone equate the feeling they get by watching Man United or Liverpool or whoever win on TV and that of seeing your team win in the flesh?

Patrick Dunne
27/11/2006, 5:52 PM
A great supporter, have met her several times in Terryland and also at Ireland matches. I have given her the address of this website, hopefully she joins up.

She told me that she e-mailed the club and got a response from a leading club officer. Good to see that GUFC are on the ball. Ironically, he hardly ever even attends home games.

Its quite sad that one supporter travelled from Japan to see United play, while
hundreds of others were pottering around Woodies :rolleyes:

corbyeire
27/11/2006, 10:12 PM
that is amazing support fair play to her!!!!

Patrick Dunne
27/11/2006, 10:31 PM
Some people even travel in from Athenry to the odd game !

geezer
27/11/2006, 10:49 PM
should be supporter of the year and acknowledged at the AGM
A Great story

eamo1
27/11/2006, 11:04 PM
who use to row from kinvara across the bay to come to galway utd games?this was back in the early 90s i think.i remember there was an article written about him in the tribune or something.maikos story tops it though,fair play.

Terry
28/11/2006, 7:24 AM
Fair Play to her. I have meet her a couple of times after the matches in Kates and so forth and she is a deservent for any award as geezer says. The last game she was for here (when I last meet her anyway) I believe the club gave her a jersey signed buy the entire squad, she said it was one of her most treasured possessions.

galwaygirl
28/11/2006, 8:43 AM
Fair Play to her. I have meet her a couple of times after the matches in Kates and so forth and she is a deservent for any award as geezer says. The last game she was for here (when I last meet her anyway) I believe the club gave her a jersey signed buy the entire squad, she said it was one of her most treasured possessions.

I have met her a good few times as well and am in contact with her by email. i also remember one occasion in Kates after a match where i got one of the team to give her a GUFC training top (think he got in trouble with the kit man over it:D ). she was over the moon with it and then in Kildare again this year i brought her over to a few of the players after the game, it made her nite :D

MyTown
28/11/2006, 9:13 AM
This is an unbelievable story. Except that it happens to be true!

Surely this deserves the Cian O'Connell close season treatment?

If there's a photograph from one of Maiko's trips - it would give it a great context to it and would be much more effective than say an interview on GBFM.

(BTW when I saw the name on this thread first I immediately thought of the late graet GUFC midfielder Miko Nolan RIP)

GuisaSaigon
28/11/2006, 9:24 AM
Met her down in Kilkenny, I couldn't believe she flew from Japan to Ireland just to see United play!!!!!! That's dedication!
The guy that used to row in was from an Island off Carraroe or Lettermullen. he used to row in to his brother's house on the mainland and they would both drive into Terryland. He would stay in his brothers house overnight and row the currach back to the island in the morning.There was a good piece written about him in the Tribune a few years ago.
I've seen him in Terryland a few times, not sure if he still goes ........ he probably does, just not a section A regular !!!!!!!

GuisaSaigon
28/11/2006, 9:27 AM
If there's a photograph from one of Maiko's trips
there was a photo of her in the star at the Germany V Ireland match afew months ago wearing a Galway Hurling shirt!

gufct
28/11/2006, 10:08 AM
Met Maiko & Ryn Taro in 2002 at the World Cup in Japan both spent time in Nuig and were introduced by former fan Mike Allen who met them in the Roisin Dubh. Ive met Maiko loads of times since as she follows the irish team all over the world and also trys to get to United games when she is over for Ireland Games.