PDA

View Full Version : Club to replace St. Francis?

pete
05/07/2001, 6:49 PM
Onefootball.com (http://www.onefootball.com/index.phtml?page=fullstory&country_id=38&newsid=86638)

Apparently Newbridge are favourites, St James Gate have said they don't want & Tralee, Arklow Town & Everton(Cork) are also interested?

Who knows why Everton are interested? :confused:

Sounds like idle speculation to be - doesn't seem like an info to back it all up.

Ash
05/07/2001, 8:16 PM
Newbridge Town have pulled out as although they have adequate facilities that realise that they do not have enough money for the venture

EddieL
06/07/2001, 3:11 AM
As long as it's some club down the country to ensure an even spread nationwide as I do feel there are too many clubs in Dublin,but I would also hope that whoever the new members are,that they will be given time and assistance to adjust to life in LOI football.

pete
06/07/2001, 10:33 AM
I think St Patricks (incorporating St Francis FC) Athletic FC should be obliged to provide some compo to nay team willing to join the league at this late stage.

At the very least a 9 team 1st division will reprieve the existing members of a gate receipt or two if no one joins!

James
06/07/2001, 10:40 AM
gate receipts for a first div match against st francis.
oh compo for that could run into the hundreds!:D

pete
06/07/2001, 10:56 AM
And don't cobh etc... need that couple of hundred quid? ;)

James
06/07/2001, 11:03 AM
rebel i said could run into hundreds
more often then not it probably wouldnt!!
revenue wise Cobh as you stated in your example would probably be better off not having to hire a bus etc for the away trip to Dublin..and so would save money

pete
06/07/2001, 11:34 AM
James,
Thats a way too practical answer for me to think of. Wheres the fun in that ;)

Although now that i'm starting to thinking straight Cobh could do badly out of. If Newbridge join be the same as if Francis there. If Everton (don't know whay they'd join) join be another Cork team to compete for the best players around here. Cobh would probably get lost ttring to find Arklow & be even worse if say Fanad joined ;)

James
06/07/2001, 11:41 AM
are they the 3 clubs up for the new position in the league, or is it still open to entries?
wasnt there rumours of Clonmel or something being mentioned aswell

Leonard
06/07/2001, 11:44 AM
Are Wimbledon still interested in the moving to Ireland thing? They could fill a gap.

joe
06/07/2001, 11:47 AM
or Clydebank??????

pete
06/07/2001, 11:49 AM
a2zsoccer.com (http://www.a2zsoccer.com/getbody_generic.cfm?file=285105)

So Newbridge & St. James don't want to join now.

Have any other clubs confirmed interest?

My bet is on a 9 team division this year & a big scramble for the position next summer!

Stevo
06/07/2001, 12:20 PM
the best bet for the future of irsh football is for a team to be introduced from outside dublin....my own perference would be tralee....so come on kerry boys get your act together and you could be heading up to dublin not only to croker but also to tolka

Xlex
06/07/2001, 12:36 PM
Mervue UTd. in Galway where mentioned in some quarters....

Macy
06/07/2001, 2:23 PM
Mervue have also been talked off as merging with Galway United. Considering Galway doesn't seem to be able to support one team (both numbers wise and financially). Besides considering the current financial and management situation at Terryland both on and off the pitch, it seems highly likely that Galway will have one Div 1 club come the end of next season......