PDA

View Full Version : Transition year

SligoBrewer
25/11/2006, 12:30 AM
hey , im just after finishin my first week off work experience and i have completely changed my perspective of the Transition Year. I thought that it had been a bit of a waste of time so far but after the 1 week of work i have realised that it has probably saved me so much time in later years.

Was just wondering if anyone else on foot.ie had done Ty and have any experiences on it...

sligoman
25/11/2006, 12:31 AM
but after the 1 week of work i have realised that it has probably saved me so much time in later years.In what way?:confused:

Conor H
25/11/2006, 11:12 AM
Brewr alot of my friends done TY and at the time thought it was well worth it.But looking back on it i'd say 80% of them sort of regret it.While i'm in College enjoying the life of Reilly' they're studying like crazy for their LC.What makes the studying even more harrowing is the fact that they know they could have done it all last year and be in the same position as me.Work experience can be got easily enough without the aid of TY.

paul_oshea
25/11/2006, 1:16 PM
i remember my mates doing it actually as well, to be honest the group that did it i thought they were doing it for a bit of craic more than anything else.....cos the group of them. they said its a really good way of bonding with classmates though. but i think its a waste of time to be honest.......get out as quick as you can and you can learn it all in your own time...

superfrank
25/11/2006, 1:25 PM
In my school transition year is compulsory and imo it's the biggest waste of a year.

The different classes we did weren't much help. We got a year of word processing but we had to pay for the final exams, it was the same with AutoCAD.

The work experience in my school was very disorganised. We were given two forms almost a week before it started. We were not advised as to how it should be undertaken and, imo, it didn't help.

The best work experience is to go out and get a proper job, simple as.

SligoBrewer
25/11/2006, 4:09 PM
In what way?:confused:

i loved what i was doing..and i've finalised it in my head.
it'll be what im studying in college... hopefully

Raheny Red
25/11/2006, 4:20 PM
My sisters and a few of my mates went to a school where it is compulsory do to 4th year. The only difference compared to other years for them was work experience. They said it was a great help - they basically get an extra year studying for the LC.

On the otherhand mine was completely different, we had all sort of extra classes such as foreign flavours - wtf :rolleyes:. TBH me and a group of mates only did it for a laugh, had it was a great laugh indeed. But in hindsight it was a waste of a year. Since we didn't have 'proper' classes you kind of lose the run of things and when you start 5th year you are f*cked when you know you have to cop on. Also the furthest on went on a trip was Carlingford - f*cking Carlingford :mad: :rolleyes:

SligoBrewer
25/11/2006, 4:51 PM
My sisters and a few of my mates went to a school where it is compulsory do to 4th year. The only difference compared to other years for them was work experience. They said it was a great help - they basically get an extra year studying for the LC.

On the otherhand mine was completely different, we had all sort of extra classes such as foreign flavours - wtf :rolleyes:. TBH me and a group of mates only did it for a laugh, had it was a great laugh indeed. But in hindsight it was a waste of a year. Since we didn't have 'proper' classes you kind of lose the run of things and when you start 5th year you are f*cked when you know you have to cop on. Also the furthest on went on a trip was Carlingford - f*cking Carlingford

were doing japanese!:rolleyes:

only been on 1 trip so far to Killary and goin again on the 5th of December to Smithfield, i think were goin 2 Barcelona as well:D

DmanDmythDledge
26/11/2006, 9:49 PM
It's the most boring year in existence. You just do f-all. Biggest waste of a year ever. I so regret it. I only really did it because I wanted to doss, but now because of doing nothing in 4th year that's carried on to 5th year. My work experience was crap, did nothing and got off earlier than school. Still got paid though.:)

ollie
27/11/2006, 10:08 AM
i thought it was a good laugh when i did it.did lots of things including social work,work experience,loads of history trips,spent a couple of days and nights in an activity centre and we went on a trip to Switzerland also so all and all it was a good experience.
fair enough it can be hard to knuckle down in fifth year but sure that year is a bit of a doss also.no pressure like.