PDA

View Full Version : McDonnell hails Doolin arrival

Neil
05/07/2001, 6:37 PM
UCD captain, Tony McDonnell, has hailed the signing of Paul Doolin onto the coaching staff at the club, claiming it was just the appointment the side needed. Former Shelbourne midfielder, Doolin, signed a two-year deal with the Belfield outfit and will take up his new position when the UCD squad returns for pre-season training.

"The capture of Paul Doolin will bring the club onto a higher level," said McDonnell. "His experience will be invaluable to the younger lads in the side. He's a winner, and I believe his arrival could spark a bright new era for the club."

The Students had a disastrous league campaign last season, only managing to avoid relegation with victory over Athlone in a penalty shootout in the relegation/promotion play-off on May 19th.

"It was a horrible season," said the former Irish under 21 international. "Our cause wasn't helped by the fact that we were playing competitive football for almost a year, mainly due to our participation in the Intertoto Cup. By February, we just wanted to close the book on the whole season. We got our second chance with the victory over Athlone, but we must prove we have learnt from last year's mistakes and rectify it this time around."

St Patrick's Athletic recent merger with St Francis has received mixed opinion from around the league, and McDonnell admits that the announcement certainly caught him by surprise.

"It's a very strange move," said McDonnell. "I hope it's not a sign of things to come in the league. It really leaves the future of several St Francis' players in doubt. I can't see how many of them will break into the Pats reserve team, let alone their first team."