PDA

View Full Version : Denmark away Friendly

NeilMcD
24/11/2006, 1:09 PM
Did anyone see the irish Times today. Looks like we are playing Denmark away in a friendly in August.

Would love to go not sure if I will have the cash though with the Double header a few weeks after it.

Although a summer camp in Portugal remains the front runner for Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton's end-of-season get-together, the FAI have confirmed they are also contemplating a tour of the United States in May or June.

Staging a May friendly holds, as Staunton alluded to during the week, its own difficulties coming so close to the end of the season, and the manager also opined that dates in early June did not suit his requirements either as they come too late after the English season's conclusion.

But as the FAI mull over a number of potential options, the association's chief executive, John Delaney, yesterday backed Staunton by agreeing a June date was not ideal for players who will have "deserved a break".

"We've explored a couple of options," Delaney said, "one being the training camp down in Portugal and playing some Portuguese teams. We've also had offers to play tournaments in America, some in June and possibly in May, but we have to wait and see what comes out of that.

"If we want to play in America in June it's not a problem, but it's not what we want to do," he added. "We've spoken to a couple of people about possible games in May, but they could be long shots, we just don't know."

Delaney conceded, though, it would not be "the end of the world" should that friendly fail to materialise as the game away to Denmark in August twinned with all the competitive matches "firms up" the 2007 fixture calendar. "A lot of countries are playing competitive games at the end of May and into June so there are less options but we'll find something, I'm sure of that."

Be it a single game, tour or training camp next year, confirmation from the FAI is expected in January.

On the domestic front, Thomas Davis GAA club is making an application to the High Court today, seeking leave for a judicial review of South Dublin County Council's decision to finish the partially completed stadium in Tallaght for Shamrock Rovers FC.

Delaney said it was "important" Shamrock Rovers - without a ground of their own since the sale of Milltown in 1987 - secured a stadium to play Eircom League football.

The Dublin club - relegated last season - are confident of playing top flight Premier Division football next term but, despite having won the first division last weekend, this will not necessarily come to pass.

The make-up of both divisions next season lies in the hands of the FAI's Independent Assessment Group, who are using on-and off-field criteria to determine which clubs contest the two divisions, and that group's decision will be announced on December 11th.

Applications to fill the void left by Dublin City are being made, and the FAI hope to have finalised the identity of that 22nd league club by the end of December.

Finally, the Government has provided €1.6 million towards the construction of 64 mini-pitches, primarily located in disadvantaged areas, throughout the country. Local authorities will own and maintain the synthetic pitches, all of which will be located close to schools and community facilities and available free of charge.

tetsujin1979
24/11/2006, 1:21 PM
According to the indo, there's plans for an end of season friendly with the States
from http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1730634

FAI Chief Executive John Delaney yesterday admitted the US was an option after struggling to find a match in Europe for a game in May.

"We've had offers from America and for a couple of tournaments, some in June and possibly May."

Have to say, a US/Unity/Nike/whatever Cup wouldn't be a bad thing, could allow us to try out players, something the management seem willing to give a go, with the B Internationals a frist step

Billsthoughts
24/11/2006, 1:24 PM
I heard we will be playing a triangular tournament in Iceland.
Us, Iceland and Azerjaiban. Are we the current holders?

Wolfie
24/11/2006, 1:32 PM
In a round about way we're the current holders of a specific triangular tournament held in Iceland between Ireland, Iceland and former Czechoslovakia in 1986!.

I think this was the tournament that David O'Leary fell foul of Jack Charlton over.

I think we should steer clear of August friendlies given our recent track record..........

Soper
24/11/2006, 4:04 PM
Chesney from Coronation Street

gwhite
24/11/2006, 4:06 PM
Why don't the FAI get their own triangular tournament going. Let's say get a decent team each from the Americas and Asia (USA & Japan?). Play them both at Dalymount and let them play each other in Tolka or down the country. Would be useful to say the least....

bwagner
24/11/2006, 4:11 PM
tetsujin can u put in the article please , cause i can't access the link

Wolfie
24/11/2006, 4:16 PM
Should try and get a friendly with England before the Wrecking Ball moves into Lansdowne - could save time on Demolition.

Superhoops
24/11/2006, 7:16 PM
tetsujin can u put in the article please , cause i can't access the link

The quote posted was the whole 'article'. :D

BTW, you can register for free with www.unison.ie to access the Indo and several local papers in the Unison group.

cavan_fan
28/11/2006, 1:28 PM
On friendlies, am I right that the Croke Park thing is only for competitive games, does this mean no home friendlies for 4 years?

NY Hoop
28/11/2006, 1:37 PM
On friendlies, am I right that the Croke Park thing is only for competitive games, does this mean no home friendlies for 4 years?

Correct.

The Denmark game is on Wednesday the 22nd of August.

KOH

tetsujin1979
28/11/2006, 2:45 PM

I've been saying it for ages that the reason we've had so many home friendlies in recent years was to build up money because when Lansdowne closes, we'll only be able to play home competitive games, and away friendlies which are a lot less lucrative. Barring the Unity Cup, I think we only played Poland, Scotland and Holland in friendlies away from home under Brian Kerr

cavan_fan
28/11/2006, 2:55 PM
Am in danger of causing a new row around Irish exlies and 2g's but maybe there would be some mileage in playing the odd friendly in Glasgow/Liverpool/London. Lots of other countries do it now.

Ash
28/11/2006, 3:00 PM
I've been saying it for ages that the reason we've had so many home friendlies in recent years was to build up money because when Lansdowne closes, we'll only be able to play home competitive games, and away friendlies which are a lot less lucrative. Barring the Unity Cup, I think we only played Poland, Scotland and Holland in friendlies away from home under Brian Kerr

And the away game to Greece when Don Givens took charge

FootballsKing
28/11/2006, 4:50 PM
Time to blood Stokes. No questions asked.

EalingGreen
28/11/2006, 6:39 PM
Am in danger of causing a new row around Irish exlies and 2g's but maybe there would be some mileage in playing the odd friendly in Glasgow/Liverpool/London. Lots of other countries do it now.

Interesting idea. QPR and Brentford have hosted a few internationals friendlies over the last couple of years involving countries with large populations of exiles and 2G's in London (e.g. Ghana, South Africa, Jamaica, Australia). They appear to draw sufficient crowds to make it financially worthwhile and it means player release isn't such a problem, since they don't have to drag players based in Europe (usually England) half way round the world for a friendly.

I could see the ROI filling a 20,000 seater stadium for a friendly in London no bother, maybe even bigger, if the opposition and dates were right.

I've no idea how popular such an idea might be in the Republic, but surely it would beat four years of travelling much further afield for friendlies?

P.S. I'm sure Linfield would be happy to rent out Windsor Park, if the money was right! ;)

Metrostars
29/11/2006, 2:39 AM
FYI - The US team are playing two tournaments in June and July: the Concacaf Gold Cup in the USA June 2-24 and then the Copa America in Venezuela from June 26-July 15. So a friendly or two in May is probably on the cards for the US. Also, Mexico plays a ton of friendlies in the US so that would also be a possibility if Stan and co are to make the trip over here.

Stuttgart88
29/11/2006, 2:26 PM
TP, I was ashamed at how few turned up at The Valley for the Unity Cup games.

ifk101
29/11/2006, 2:38 PM
TP, I was ashamed at how few turned up at The Valley for the Unity Cup games.

Why??

Jon'o
29/11/2006, 4:03 PM
I'd love to see us play in London on a regular basis, purely because I'd get to see more matches. Anyone else agree?

I would too, though i doubt it would happen after the rather poor turn out for the unity cup and the state of the pitch ect, that a side im sure it would be a good turn out if the opposition was right!

Sideline
30/11/2006, 8:31 AM
I was in London that week and dragged a few GAA fans to the Valley. Very embarrassing the crowd that showed up.

lopez
30/11/2006, 3:42 PM
...I could see the ROI filling a 20,000 seater stadium for a friendly in London no bother, maybe even bigger, if the opposition and dates were right...The days for the Irish community in London are numbered I'm afraid. Dunno if you read the Metro last week but according to it the Irish population (born, ROI citizens, 32 county origin or just 26 I dunno) has dropped from 180 odd K to aropund 104K.

The Unity cup was partly a shambles supporter wise because a. It was badly managed and publicised and b.Getting to it was a nightmare due to the usual weekend railworks. To be honest the turn out by Jamaicans in particular was just as bad. I think the game at Loftus Road would be better supported but by how much is anyone's guess.

cavan_fan
01/12/2006, 9:11 AM
The days for the Irish community in London are numbered I'm afraid. Dunno if you read the Metro last week but according to it the Irish population (born, ROI citizens, 32 county origin or just 26 I dunno) has dropped from 180 odd K to aropund 104K.

I worry this might lead into some old arguments but there are also the much larger number of 2nd/3rd generation people who (rightly or wrongly!) support the Irish team.

Bring Back Mick
01/12/2006, 9:59 AM
I worry this might lead into some old arguments but there are also the much larger number of 2nd/3rd generation people who (rightly or wrongly!) support the Irish team.

Would you like to explain the comment ' rightly or wrongly' personally never thought I was wrong in supporting Ireland worldwide over the years, likewise my fellow members of the LONDON RISSC who have followed Ireland during the good and the bad times to places where the average 1st generation fan couldn't be ar$ed................

Also do the lads that proudly pull on the green shirt of Ireland every Sunday representing LONDON RISSC and give 100% are they wrong ???

lopez
01/12/2006, 10:37 AM
I worry this might lead into some old arguments but there are also the much larger number of 2nd/3rd generation people who (rightly or wrongly!) support the Irish team.You protesteth too much about arguments. And as BBM says, why bring up rightly or wrongly about 2/3G supporting the team. Is it 'rightly or wrongly' that 1G Irish people follow a 'Garrison' game?

England have struggled to get 20K at Wembley, so I wouldn't get too worked up about attendances. The 1985 game with us was nearly 50% split between both fans, and that was pre-Charlton days. I'm afraid that the reduction in the Irish community in London is universal for both 1G and 2G. In the last ten years two of my best mates and a number of others (all 2G) have moved out of the city and further than the home counties. One to Milton Keynes the rest to Ireland.

onenilgameover
02/12/2006, 1:15 PM
I'd quite like to go to denmark....hope that materializes