PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper article

Red&White
24/11/2006, 11:35 AM
Lads, I've written an article for our university newspaper on the Eircom League. Firstly, it's putting a positive spin on the league, and secondly it's only meant as an introduction to the league to people who've most likely never heard of it. I'm well aware there are complex other issues involved that I either don't touch upon, or ignore completely- so please don't accuse me of living in a fantasy world! :p I have limited space with which to convince people that a LOI exists.

(Also, there may be a couple of facts or figures incorrect so if anyone notices anything, if you let me know so I can change it before submitting it.)

Anyway, just thought I'd post it here as well, since I doubt any of you will be reading a students newspaper :rolleyes:

Thanks for reading it.
===============

Eircom I’ve Never Heard Of It?

You may not have been aware of it, but Friday 17th November saw the end of the domestic soccer season in the League of Ireland (LOI), with all bar the FAI Cup Final on 3rd December left to play. Not to be confused with the Irish league in the North, the LOI has, after years of decline, taken to advancing two steps forward and one backward in recently, with another mixed season for the clubs. Yet most people reading this newspaper will doubtlessly skim over this column as a minority interest one, and in a way, they’d be right to think that. But why, in a country universally acknowledged to be football mad, a country where the game is the number one participation sport, is the national league such a non-entity? Why have you probably never heard of the biggest clubs in the league? Why will you never ever have countenanced going to see a game? Is the Eircom League (it’s official name, don’t ya know?) really that rubbish?

We’ll start with the bad news. No LOI clubs have ever made it to the Champions League (CL) nor the UEFA Cup group stages. No current full Irish internationals play for any club in the country. Most clubs live on the edge of a financial precipice; if not in the red, then enjoying a good view from their position directly above it. Dublin City went out of business half way through this season, playing havoc with the fixture list and table. Shelbourne, this years champions, have financial difficulties. Only half the teams in the Premier Division are full time. The FAI, preferring to lavish its money on the international squad and trips to Old Trafford, Anfield and Celtic Park for its members, could scarcely treat the league with more contempt or less publicity.

Attendances are low, grounds are stuck in an 80s time warp (the ‘toilets’ are in the worse cases, a wall), and the referees are diabolically bad. What Irish newspapers do report on the league, you find after wading through 30 pages on the English Premiership, the Championship, Leagues 1 and 2, the Conference, Scottish Premier League, First Division, and possibly the Cillit Bang Pro-Am Over 75’s Bowling Tournament at Brighton last Wednesday. That’s the bad, and boy is it bad.

Jose Mourinho may get annoyed when he feels that a 50-50 tackle that results in one of his players getting injured is a grave injustice; we had a goal in September that bounced off the advertising hoardings behind the net, came out again and went unnoticed by one referee. FA Cup match called off due to rain? The referee forgot to turn up to a game in April. Empty seats at Villa Park causing a bit of worry? 86 hardy souls turned out for a Dublin derby match at 12,000 capacity Dalymount Park in July.

By now you should have fully made up your mind that the LOI is a joke. There’s no way you’d go to a match if you had a gun pointed at your head, you’d far rather watch Barnsley-Crewe than Bohemians-Cork. Having come this far though, in a ‘minority sport’ column, you owe it to yourself to read on and find out some of the positives, though. Go on, the next page isn’t that interesting anyway. Granted the apocalyptic vision I’ve painted doesn’t seem to leave much scope for sunlight, but I’ll try to explain why I, and many others, are more positive about the LOI’s future than ever before.

For a start, you may have noticed none of the criticisms I levelled above were footballing ones. Irish teams for the most part, you see, no longer favour the ‘hoof-the-long-ball-in-the-air-lads-and-see-what-happens,’ approach of the Republic of Ireland c. 1990 (or Bolton c. anytime). It’s not exactly Brazil despite what the fans might sing, but it does mean that the standard of play has improved and advanced far further than it was 5 or 10 years ago. It is possible to enjoy a good game of football, there are plenty of great goals, and playmakers abound. Remember the 6 full-time clubs I mentioned above? Well, they only become of interest when I tell you that the total of full-time teams in the league 4 years ago was…zero. Full time training regimes, healthier eating, a more tactical game; all have contributed to make the league a far more watchable and competitive one than it used to be.

Did someone say competition? How many of the top leagues in Europe were decided on the last day of the season last year? The second last day? Third last? Not many would be the answer. The LOI, if nothing else, is one of the most competitive in Europe. This season, Derry City and Shelbourne, level on games won, drawn and lost, were divided only by goal difference; on the last day of the season three teams could have finished level, and the top four teams only lost four games each all season (out of 33). The previous season, the top two sides, Derry City and Cork City, ended up playing each other on the final day of the season for the title. The season before that, Cork and Shelbourne fought a running battle for most of the season. Boring it isn’t.

Heard of Kevin Doyle? Second highest goal scorer in the Championship last year, scoring freely for in the Prermiership this year? Irish international regular? League winner with Cork City the season before last. Expect more to follow, with, in the last week alone, Cork’s Roy O’ Donovan and Derry’s Mark Farren being linked with Wigan and Aston Villa respectively. Roy Keane, Paul Mc Grath, and Brian Kerr, to name but a few, all began their careers in LOI football over the years. Jason Byrne has played for the full international squad, while Joseph Ndo played all 3 games for Cameroon in France 98 and was in the squad for the following World Cup.

It is in European results where Irish clubs have really proved their progress however. Throughout the 1990’s, LOI had suffered humiliating defeats all over Europe. You name the minor Latvian opposition, we’ve had a club lose by a ten goal aggregate to nil. Again and again. Three years ago, a decision was made by the clubs to play a season from March to November, ensuring better pitches, and therefore football, and meaning that the teams involved in European competition would be half way through their season, and more match fit when the preliminary games of the continental tournaments got under way. The result?
In 2004, Shelbourne beat RK Reyjavick and Hadjuk Split to play Deportivo La Coruna for a place in the CL group stages. Remember just how good Deportivo were then. Shelbourne drew with them in Dublin and held them until half time in the second leg before capitulating. It may seem like little compared to the big English teams, but it’s now become standard for Irish teams to progress at least to the second round of their competitions year in, year out. It’s slow, but steady progress considering it was only a few years ago that clubs had to field their second string teams, as half their first team would be on holiday during the matches, such was the amateur mindset in the game.
This season, Cork City lost to Red Star Belgrade, and the chance to play AC Milan for a place in the CL group stages, while Drogheda just, just missed out on playing a place in the UEFA Cup first round proper when they lost on penalties 12-11 (the same player missed both penalties, a UEFA Cup first) to an FK Start that went on to play Ajax.

The real story was happening in Derry though. They dispatched twice UEFA Cup winners Gothenburg with victories home and away. To give you some extent of the scale of the result, Gothenburg had 6 players back fresh from playing in the World Cup, including one Nicolas Alexandersson, and had budgeted on reaching the group stages this season. Next up, Gretna FC, they of the Scottish Cup Final in June. Billed as a battle of the underdogs by the press, Derry proved there was only one underdog by hammering Gretna 5-1 in Scotland, going through 7-3 on aggregate. In the UEFA Cup first round proper, with a place in the group stages at stake, Paris St-Germain brought their expensively assembled squad including top international goalscorer in Europe, Pauletta. Held to a 0-0 draw in Derry, two set pieces finally saw the French giants through in Paris.

CONTINUED BELOW.

Red&White
24/11/2006, 11:37 AM
CONTINUED:

The point is, at some stage over the next couple of years, an Irish team will get lucky with the draw, avoid a massive giant, and grab a place in the group stage of a European competition. Most observers reckon that it will happen in the next five years or so, although with the progress being made, it could well happen in half that time. No one for a moment is denying the gulf in quality between the Eircom league and the top European ones, but the right combination of a good draw, complacency on an opponent’s part, and a little luck could produce a major upset. Derry and Shelbourne will both be seeded for their ties next season. The league has gone from 39th out of 42 in Europe, to 31st. The standings and seeding systems are worked out over a five year period, so the league is still only really competing on the basis of a 60% ranking process. (Results really were that bad prior to the change.) Two more years, and the upper 20’s are a distinct possibility if progress continues.

As for stadiums, many are in a ridiculous state of repair, but even that is being looked at. At least 4 clubs will have new stadiums within the next few years; Bohemians, Athlone Town, Shamrock Rovers and UCD. Drogheda United, Derry City, Finn harps and Shelbourne are at the planning stages, while a number of grounds are already being refurbished and developed in Cork, Galway, Dundalk, Waterford, Sligo and Monaghan. The 22 teams that comprise the Premier and First divisions will all be part of a brand spanking new league next year, with teams chosen on the basis of a number of factors including, among others, results, financial infrastructure, fan base, stadium conditions; the strongest clubs with the most potential will make up the new 12 team Premier Division.

RTE has started showing 21 league matches live per season: that’s up from 5 the previous season. Prize money has doubled, 25,000 came to the FAI Cup final at Lansdowne Road last season, and the new Setanta Cup that has incorporated Northern and Southern teams is creating a countrywide buzz, and perhaps shown the way forward for football in Ireland. The Irish League (that’s the Northern version, remember) is in even worse trouble that it’s Southern counterpart and it looks like the only way for each league to progress in the long run is in an All-Ireland league. That presents its own difficulties but the headway made by the Setanta Cup in the last two years has given hope that the whole of Ireland will have one league in 5 or 6 years time (Derry City play in the Southern League for reasons too complex to go into here).

The main problem the league faces is ignorance. The lack of promotion by Eircom and the FAI have created a situation where people don’t even know the league exists or see no reason to go. We have Irish people who are so proud to be Irish that they’ll support a team in Scotland, rather than the team at the end of their road.
It’s infuriating for LOI fans to see an Irish person ‘supporting’ a club from a drab town in England they’ve never been to, or could even place on a map. The guy from Drogheda wearing the latest Newcastle top, the misguided individual proud to be from the ‘Rebel County,’ sporting his Arsenal shirt. It’s not even their fault entirely; the league should shoulder much of the blame, but hopefully next years changes to it and the progress being made on the field will result in more people sitting up and taking an interest.

The press too, constrained though they may be by readership, should try and increase their reportage on the league. It was notable that Derry’s defeat of Gretna FC appeared on every back page in Scotland and some in England, and got mainly footnotes in the Irish press. A few weeks ago, Celtic and Manchester United both lost games in the CL. One Irish broadsheet announced helpfully on their front page; ‘Bad night for the home clubs in Europe.’ The league badly needs some kind of help in advertising it’s product on their back pages instead of always being squeezed in below the cross-channel results; surely there’s enough coverage of them in other papers if you really want it. Then again, in a country where the Taoiseach daily pronounces his love for a certain Manchester club, it’s not surprising.
One can only hope. It’s a long, hard road and things aren’t going to improve overnight. All the players themselves can do is keep playing to the best of their ability and hope that the better the league is, the better the results in Europe are, and the more coverage the league as a whole gets. Just don’t do a complete double take if you see the names of Shelbourne, Drogheda, or Bohemians nestled next to Celtic, Real Madrid, Lyon or Arsenal in the CL group stages sometime soon- they’re really not as far from it as you might think.

The FAI Carlsberg Cup Final between Derry City and St. Patrick’s Athletic takes place at Lansdowne Road, Sunday 3rd December, kick off 3:15pm

ndrog
24/11/2006, 11:41 AM
good read .One thing for you ,drogheda would not have got ajax in the next round. Start were seeded higher or something .

ciaraa
24/11/2006, 11:56 AM
very good.
just one thing, Shels beat (well, kinda) Rekyavik and not lille in cl qualifier. they lost to lille in the uefa cup 1st round.

bigmac
24/11/2006, 11:56 AM
Good article, hope it gets positive response. There are a tiny minority of irish internationals in the league though.

Red&White
24/11/2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks, have amended where appropriate.

marley
24/11/2006, 12:13 PM
Good read but "trips to Old Trafford, Anfield and Ibrox for its members". Ithink thats the other team on this island

Hitman
24/11/2006, 12:35 PM
Sub taoiseach for president proclaiming the love of Man Utd at the end. Also, I'm not certain, but I think the FAI failed to appoint a ref for the UCD game rather than one forgetting to turn up, I'm sure someone else can confirm that. Other than that an excellent read, well done.

endabob1
24/11/2006, 12:36 PM
Very good read, not sure how but I'd have looked to squeeze in some of the more notable names, in the EL. Jason Byrne has played senior football for Ireland this year so would probably count as being in the current international set up. Joseph Ndo played all 3 games for Cameroon in France 98 & was in the Squad in 2002, even if the average punter has never heard the name those facts are impressive enough.

Red&White
24/11/2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys. I've literally been snowed under with coursework this week but I wanted to get this in the next edition on 28th Nov in time for the cup final. I also had no internety access so I couldn't check facts exactly. Knew I could rely on foot.ie members to root out mistakes though! Also, 'President' was only in their until I could check the exact spelling of 'Taoiseach' but had forgotten to check it. Cheers.

Good read but "trips to Old Trafford, Anfield and Ibrox for its members". Ithink thats the other team on this island

How on earth that got in there, I really don't know!

gustavo
24/11/2006, 12:52 PM
Great read , hopefully will influence people! also one minor point was the agregate in the Gretna game 7-3?

Celdrog
24/11/2006, 1:47 PM
Drogs were beaten 11-10 by Start, not 12-11.

Neish
24/11/2006, 3:24 PM
Good read. Hopefully it will influence a few souls to get up of their arse and get down their local club, but can't see it to be honest.

Sniffer
24/11/2006, 6:59 PM
Good on ya, uplifting stuff

monzo
25/11/2006, 3:51 PM
Thought it was a good article. What university are you at?

Burny89
25/11/2006, 6:32 PM
:p

not the one in Donegal anyway

Red&White
27/11/2006, 2:48 PM

Trinity. As established in a thread about 2 months ago on college societies, apart from me, there's precisely one other Eircom league fan here as well. (A Dundalk fan)

Rovers1
27/11/2006, 4:15 PM
Trinity. As established in a thread about 2 months ago on college societies, apart from me, there's precisely one other Eircom league fan here as well. (A Dundalk fan)

thats one more than we have :(