24/11/2006, 9:41 AM
any sugestions

drummerboy
24/11/2006, 9:44 AM
Dermot Keely would be a contender
Donal Broughan, certainly one of the dirtiest

lofty9
24/11/2006, 9:47 AM
Paul Mooney, Derry (ex Linfield). Hard as nails in the tackle and a fully committted footballer. As for nutcases we've had a few, but were absolutely useless with a ball and therefore don't get classed as footballers IMO.

ollie
24/11/2006, 9:52 AM
deccie daly would be up there.danny murphy was creating a bit of a reputation for himself till he left

gustavo
24/11/2006, 10:19 AM
I'll just nominate 2 bruisers from my childhood , Steve Birks and Lee Thew.

Raheny Red
24/11/2006, 10:23 AM
I never seen Keeley play but after reading a few stories about him, I'd have to go with him...............

joeSoap
24/11/2006, 10:32 AM
Joe O'Mahoney-Limerick, late 70's /early 80's.
Dermot Keely.

Today....all pussies.

joeSoap
24/11/2006, 10:33 AM
deccie daly would be up there.danny murphy was creating a bit of a reputation for himself till he leftAgree with you on Daly. Murphy was developing a reputation all right-for being a foul- mouthed, sneaky, dirty player that cost his side a lot in the way of fines, red cards and suspensions. There's a difference between being dirty and being hard.

GuisaSaigon
24/11/2006, 10:41 AM
Jimmy Nolan - Galway United 1981-1995
The hardest man to ever play football , without a doubt.

razor
24/11/2006, 10:42 AM
deccie daly would be up there.danny murphy was creating a bit of a reputation for himself till he leftDeccie is a City legend and one of the hardest players ever to play in the EL, Murphy was tough but his temperament was suspect, nowhere near Deccie in the hard man stakes.

oriel
24/11/2006, 10:52 AM
Roy Keane !!!!! (Cobh 88/89)

Tom McNulty for us, he played a roy keane type game for almost 10 years.

In fact see all players mentioned in most hated thread, most will fall into this thread again.

Also from the 80`s

Pat Byrne (Rovs) Tony Fagan (Sligo) Tommy Lynch (Limerick) all spring to mind.

OneRedArmy
24/11/2006, 10:59 AM
Paul Hegarty.
Paul Doolin.
Tom McNulty.
Peter Eccles.

lofty9
24/11/2006, 11:26 AM
Tom McNulty was a hooligan except he did his bit on the pitch, i remember him trying to remove Johnny Kenny leg from the rest of his body one saturday evening in the Showgrounds absolute filth. Derry had a Scottish right back as well who was filthy he was on the team that we beat in the 94 cup final i think hes surname name was Mc something but not sure.

Left back, Paul McLaughlin, dirty player, very slow though. I was going to include him but Mooney just got my vote.

ollie
24/11/2006, 11:28 AM
Murphy was developing a reputation all right-for being a foul- mouthed, sneaky, dirty player that cost his side a lot in the way of fines, red cards and suspensions.

he was all that all right but you can't deny he was also a tough little nut

Ash
24/11/2006, 11:30 AM
Steve Birks was a right tough fcuker. Tommy Lynch another.

Barry Murphy and Ray McLoughlin (both ex ATFC) could dish
out a few crunching tackles in their day

red bellied
24/11/2006, 11:39 AM
Tony Fagan (Sligo Rovers). His speciality, give his opponent a good kick in the shins, not the biggest player you will ever see either.

drummerboy
24/11/2006, 12:03 PM
Wouldn't agree with Pat Byrne. But his midfield partner, Noel King could give out a bit of stick. Actually that was some Rovers team, with King, Keely, Eccles. Harry McCue is another.

pineapple stu
24/11/2006, 12:36 PM
Richie Purdy picked up 9 yellows and a red in his first ten games for us. Can't remember at this stage if it was just bad timing or if he was just a dirty *******. Memory tells me it was more the latter than the former anyway.

stann
24/11/2006, 1:06 PM
Foxy Tommy definitely the hardest player I remember seeing. Tough as diamond nails that have been left soaking in vinegar, and with a cannonball 40-yard free kick in his locker that he scored with about once every other season. :D
From before my time I'd go with Jimmy McGeough from the tales I've heard.

Birks, McNulty, Keely all good shouts too. The mention of Lee Thew always makes me laugh thinking about his various errortel appearances.

drinkfeckarse
24/11/2006, 1:13 PM
From personal experiance, Declan Daly and Peter Hutton.

osarusan
24/11/2006, 1:22 PM
Martin Lawlor was a tough bast@rd also, but fair, usually.

desaintsno.12
24/11/2006, 1:48 PM
dave mulcahy

Anto McC
24/11/2006, 2:25 PM
Rennie

stann
24/11/2006, 2:42 PM
Both those ex Blues are tough out, especially Rennie, despite some people's misplaced hatred of the chap getting that very true statement shot down now. :D
But they're both only trotting after Foxy Tommy!

Calcio Jack
24/11/2006, 3:06 PM
Couldn't argue with many of the choices of hard men for dishing out punishment... but my nomination for the "hardest" player I ever saw is Noel Larkin... defenders used to kick lumps out him but he never seemed to notice and of course always got better of them by banging in the goals

nzamcdza
24/11/2006, 3:26 PM
Difference between hard and dirty.

And whos the hardest playing at the minute?

Raheny Red
24/11/2006, 4:53 PM

And whos the hardest playing at the minute?

Hey, there could be kids reading this :mad:

:p

gerryscore
24/11/2006, 4:57 PM
Tom McNulty. Hardest player I've ever seen.

OneRedArmy
24/11/2006, 5:15 PM

And whos the hardest playing at the minute?Sean Hargan or Owen Heary.

MrJoeSoap
24/11/2006, 5:16 PM
Richie Foran :p

kdjaC
24/11/2006, 5:48 PM
Tom Mc nulty legend and winner of many leagues for other teams :)
Shels long hairded right or left back springs to mind as recent dirty players. Cant remember his name.

kdjac

Dodge
24/11/2006, 5:56 PM
Greg Costello? Most mentioned so far are more scumbags than proper hardmen. McNulty was a proper hardman

CollegeTillIDie
24/11/2006, 7:47 PM
Some of the hardest players ever to play for UCD down the years.

We had Dermot Keely as a player for a spell in 1983.
Ken O'Doherty our goal scoring centre half who got the winner in the 1984. Cup Final was tough as old boots. Transferred to Crystal Palace in 1985. David Foster who was in and out of the team in the late 1980's and later played for Home Farm was described in a Club publication as " a gentle elegant player who eats guard dogs as a hobby" :D
Paul Fitzgerald who was right back in our promotion winning team in 1989 and later played for Monaghan was tough.
Richie Purdey has already been mentioned.

Not forgetting our former Hardcore Champion Mick O'Donnell.

kdjaC
24/11/2006, 7:51 PM
Yah seems people got confused with dirty rather than hard.

Mick Moody was a hard*******, but you would expect that of him :D

kdjac

fc hammer
25/11/2006, 12:00 AM
Joe o' Mahony. He was one hard *******.. have a go Joe ! At true blue legend, none of the rest come near.

gspain
25/11/2006, 8:42 AM
Keely for me.

Noel King was pretty tough too.

Tony Meaney RIP took no prisoners either.

Sniffer
25/11/2006, 9:00 AM
From personal experiance, Declan Daly and Peter Hutton.

Peter Hutton? Surprised to read that, elaborate.

monzo
25/11/2006, 4:13 PM
Perhaps he means his father - who also had an illustrious career in the League of Ireland.

sligoman
25/11/2006, 8:09 PM
Gerry Carr.

Also, Conor O'Grady was never afraid of a bad tackle either, unfortunately.

dfx-
25/11/2006, 8:17 PM
Tom McNulty.
Peter Eccles.

In my opinion.

Red4Eva
25/11/2006, 10:29 PM
steve birks would be one of our toughest ever. as bohs fans will find out next year :( chrissy turner isn't afraid of going into a 50-50.

David
27/11/2006, 7:14 AM
Paul Mooney, Derry (ex Linfield). Hard as nails in the tackle and a fully committted footballer. As for nutcases we've had a few, but were absolutely useless with a ball and therefore don't get classed as footballers IMO.

Never really classed him as a hard player when with us. Will forever be hated by Bluemen for scoring an own goal against the Glens in the Irish Cup Final and never really rated as a player. Guy is a bit of a tosser as well.

As for others, obviously my knowledge on LOI is limited but watched Keely for the Glens and he was an animal. He also played against us for Shamrock Rovers in European Cup and should have been sent off at Windsor for a challenge on George Gibson although the ref remarkably sent Gibson off. Another of the hardest players I have seen is Alan Byrne for Shels. PLayed against us in a friendly and had to be subbed. We later signed him but he had a nightmare time with injuries whiulst with us. Real pity because was really liked by Linfield supporters.

drinkfeckarse
27/11/2006, 9:22 AM
Peter Hutton? Surprised to read that, elaborate.

Just remember a game against Derry years ago when he was the sandwich between me and a team-mate in a challenge. There was an almighty clatter as the two of us collided into him at the same time.

I remember thinking it was enough to finish the game for him but he got up and shrugged it off. I then got a sly elbow in the gob at the next corner from him and he spent the rest of the game kicking lumps out of me and my team-mate.

Like I said, I know he's not renowned for it and it's just my own experiance but that challenge would have been enough to end the game for most players.

Lim till i die
27/11/2006, 11:05 AM
he was all that all right but you can't deny he was also a tough little nut

Danny Murphy is a dirty little madam

Nothing hard about being a filthy little knack

John Whyte on the other, tough but fair and a gent with it. Could have thought Madam Murphy a thing ot two

Tenderloins
27/11/2006, 11:23 AM
Alan Byrne was tough.
Keeley and Noel King too

Conor H
27/11/2006, 11:47 AM
Mike Quirke was a hard man for UTD for years.
Currently coaches the Salthill Devon team who are in the U-21 Cup final.

Schumi
27/11/2006, 11:54 AM
Richie Foran :pMore stupid than hard I always thought.

Martinho II
27/11/2006, 6:16 PM
from a longford town pt of view...

the hardmen....

avery john
alan murphy
alan reynolds
barry ferguson

Aaron
27/11/2006, 8:10 PM
Paul "Higgsy" Hegarty was a hard man in midfield for ud. Never backed from a challenge. He also has a temper, which has gotten the better of him a few times during the season.....if you want a dirty player i would have to say James Coll

Paddyfield
27/11/2006, 8:15 PM
Tom McNulty, Dundalk - what a tough man. They wouldn't have been so successful without him.

Dermot Keely, when he played with Sahmrock Rovers, was fearless. He'd go through any man including players on his own team.

Jimmy Nolan, Galway United. A centre forward's nightmare. He looked the part too.

Alan Byrne , Shamrock Rovers in the mid 90's - he was like an out of control JCB and he got a hell of a lot of red cards.