PDA

View Full Version : Selling a Car ...do's and don'ts?

Lionel Ritchie
23/11/2006, 3:51 PM
Last year we took herselfs wagon off the road as we just didn't need to be running two cars. It's been sitting in the drive all year and we've had a couple of people knock on the door asking if we were selling it.

Now it was running fine when we parked it up and was always a grand wee motor but -It's 12 years old and it's NCT is well since past (last Jan I think) so one guy enquiring said he just wanted it "for parts".

This sets alarm bells off with me straight away quite frankly as I'd be worried about it being put back on the road and coming back to haunt us.

So -as I've never sold a car before -what are the things I absolutely have to get sorted in terms of paperwork/transfer of ownership etc...?

Peadar
23/11/2006, 3:54 PM
Read this... (http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/change_of_ownership.html)

Lionel Ritchie
23/11/2006, 4:05 PM
nice one Peadar.

Drumcondra Red
23/11/2006, 5:24 PM
For the paperwork you'd need your VLC to transfer ownership, if you don't have one get a RF134 form from a motor dealership or probably the Garda Station. Also be sure both parties understand that the car is to sold as is, just in case they try to throw it back at you!!! Peadars link should tell you everything you need to know, depending on what paperwork you have is dependent on whether the RF200 is good enough for the change of ownership.

If you're thinking of getting it back on the road a pre NCT test is a must and get it passed asap, if somebody wants it for patrs get rid, it can cost you money to scrap it yourself...

Best of luck, I do this for a living and still sometimes get snowed under with paperwork!!!

Drumcondra Red
23/11/2006, 5:25 PM
EDIT: In fact the RF200 won't do as the car is presumably 1994??? The RF200 is for pre 1993 only!!!