PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Fees

stevieontour
22/11/2006, 5:39 AM
Now with half the clubs in the English Championship sniffing around the Bargain basement that is the Eircom League, does anyone know if clubs have;

1. The expertise to negotiate a fair deal
2. Anything in Contracts to suggest value of players.

I'm never one for the idea of preventing players moving to the UK to further their careers, but it's about time EL clubs got properly compensated for the players development.

pete
22/11/2006, 12:19 PM
I'm never one for the idea of preventing players moving to the UK to further their careers, but it's about time EL clubs got properly compensated for the players development.

I think its very difficult for eL clubs. Most players are on 2 year contracts anything longer than that is a long time in eL terms. If a player knows he is good enough he can sit out the last 6-12 months a contract & pick up free transfer to the Championship.

It would be a lot better if the eL got proper compensation for u-23 players out of contract but unfortunately the league is under valued by Uefa/Fifa. Even U1 & B International players would get little compensation...

:(

stevieontour
22/11/2006, 9:32 PM
The one thing that kills me is seeing Readings season go from strenght to strength on the form of a Striker and Winger bought from Cork City for GBP80,000

BrayUnknowns
23/11/2006, 10:30 AM
I have to say that i think Bray are one of the best sides in the eL for negotiating transfer deals. All you have to do is look at Eamon Zayed, we loaned him out for 8 weeks and got just under 100k with a cluase saying if the club wanted to buy him they would have pay the same again, we then sold him to Drogheda for 50k a few months later with seriously good clasues in the contract including 1st option. Then there was the Jason Byrne deal, made great money out of that as well.

Longfordian
23/11/2006, 6:14 PM
Drogheda are a bit loose with their transfer fees by all accounts. They gave us 55k for Barrett (or rather an associated party did!) though they weren't at all impressed when ordered to pay 10k for Gartland. It's their money but can they really say they get value for it?

ColinR
24/11/2006, 9:33 AM
Drogheda are a bit loose with their transfer fees by all accounts. They gave us 55k for Barrett (or rather an associated party did!) though they weren't at all impressed when ordered to pay 10k for Gartland. It's their money but can they really say they get value for it?

gartland has certainly proved his worth, and without barretts recent hat-trick against derry we would have finished fourth instead of third (and derry would have won the league - meaning no europe (and possibly no setanta place) for fourth!), and lost out on the prizes that go with that placing.