PDA

View Full Version : What future for Irish domestic football?

BohDiddley
21/11/2006, 12:33 PM
Public meeting, DCU, Thursday, 30 November
With...
• Daire Whelan, author, Who Stole Our Game?
• Gerry Conway, Secretary, Bohemian FC
• John Byrne, PRO, Shamrock Rovers FC
• Gerry McDermott, FAI
• Stephen McGuinness, PFAI
• Chair: Con Murphy, RTE

Anyone interested in the prospects for football in Ireland is welcome to attend.

More details here (http://www.comms.dcu.ie/osullivanj/pdfs/footfuture.pdf)

dcfcsteve
21/11/2006, 12:41 PM
Great idea and a good panel.

Shame it can't be held closer to the Cup Final, as you'd get a decent Derry attendance if it was. Also more likely to attract people along from outside Dublin if it was on a weekend night.

Good stuff though.

pete
21/11/2006, 12:43 PM
Great idea and a good panel. But where is the FAI...? :confused:

I think McDermott supposed to be the FAI. I think his title communications so be surprised if he has any insights into future plans.

dcfcsteve
21/11/2006, 12:45 PM
I think McDermott supposed to be the FAI. I think his title communications so be surprised if he has any insights into future plans.

Sorry Pete - I meant something more along the lines of 'Where's Delaney' ! :eek:

Sheridan
21/11/2006, 1:27 PM
In fairness, it's not the kind of stellar line-up which demands the FAI's attention, is it? Some bloke flogging a book, a couple of rent-a-quotes and a two-bit hack with a one-way ticket to the gravy train.

WeAreRovers
21/11/2006, 1:35 PM
In fairness, it's not the kind of stellar line-up which demands the FAI's attention, is it? Some bloke flogging a book, a couple of rent-a-quotes and a two-bit hack with a one-way ticket to the gravy train.

It's 2 directors from Dublin's 2 biggest clubs - both of whom have managed to stay in existence for longer than 20 minutes. Plus the Chair of the PFAI and the FAI's PR man. All of those people have relevant views on the future of the game.

All that's missing is a fans' representative. Maybe you'd like to volunteer as you've plenty of time on your hands since your fake club embarrassed us all by folding midway through the season.

KOH

pete
21/11/2006, 1:55 PM
Sorry Pete - I meant something more along the lines of 'Where's Delaney' ! :eek:

I think he would be afraid.

McDermott was a terrible journalist for the Indo so wouldn't expect much from him.

fitzknows
21/11/2006, 1:56 PM
It's 2 directors from Dublin's 2 biggest clubs - both of whom have managed to stay in existence for longer than 20 minutes. Plus the Chair of the PFAI and the FAI's PR man. All of those people have relevant views on the future of the game.

All that's missing is a fans' representative. Maybe you'd like to volunteer as you've plenty of time on your hands since your fake club embarrassed us all by folding midway through the season.

KOH

Fair play WeAreRovers, i had a good laugh reading your post. Although i'd say there could be some bitterness in your tone over the fact that a fake club condemned one of Dublin's biggest and longest serving clubs to a stint in the lower tier of Irish football for the first time in their history. Not bad for a club that didnt last more than 20 minutes.

Sheridan
21/11/2006, 2:01 PM
I know you all have a massive collective hard-on for me, but can't you confine your obsession to a dedicated thread or something? I'll happily field all queries there as a service to the community.

That said, I may indeed make an appearance since it's in my neck of the woods. I hope Byrne is going to drawl about "mattamattix" again or list all the people he wishes to see "die screaming", in fact I may press him on these very points.

BTW, it was about this time last year we embarrassed you.

NY Hoop
21/11/2006, 2:02 PM
Look where dodo city are and look where we are. End of.

KOH

LukeO
21/11/2006, 2:12 PM

Ah... What a night! :cool:

hoops1
21/11/2006, 2:16 PM

And now ICBINHF are Expunged, Roddy and Rocky are now fighting for
position in the dole queue and the EL lived happily ever after

OneRedArmy
21/11/2006, 2:29 PM
That said, I may indeed make an appearance since it's in my neck of the woods.....presumably in some kind of Dickensian "ghost of Christmas past" warning as to the sad effects when fools conspire to run football?

hoops1
21/11/2006, 2:33 PM
That said, I may indeed make an appearance

Thats one more apperance than the team will make next year!

Great Dublin City fans hours of fun

Sheridan
21/11/2006, 2:40 PM
....presumably in some kind of Dickensian "ghost of Christmas past" warning as to the sad effects when fools conspire to run football?
Nah, that won't be necessary as at least one participant plans to provide a live demonstration. But I'll sign you up for that thread too.

Hoops1, I doubt Roddy's going to be bothering the Dept of S&W any time soon, not with fifteen thousands smackers bulging in his wallet courtesy of the Custodians of Fiscal Prudence.

Mr A
21/11/2006, 2:42 PM
Hoops1, I doubt Roddy's going to be bothering the Dept of S&W any time soon, not with fifteen thousands smackers bulging in his wallet courtesy of the Custodians of Fiscal Prudence.

Ouch! :)

hoops1
21/11/2006, 2:43 PM

Ah dont mind me Im only expunging time. oops!

NY Hoop
21/11/2006, 2:52 PM
Nah, that won't be necessary as at least one participant plans to provide a live demonstration. But I'll sign you up for that thread too.

I always enjoy reading your chip on the shoulder rants about Rovers.

Will no neck seery be providing the demonstration?

Custodians of Fiscal Prudence? Wonderful stuff from a club who had 50 paying customers every fortnight and were shocked how they went out of business. You could not make it up.

KOH

Sheridan
21/11/2006, 2:55 PM
You could not make it up.

You just did.

WeAreRovers
21/11/2006, 3:34 PM
Fair play WeAreRovers, i had a good laugh reading your post. Although i'd say there could be some bitterness in your tone over the fact that a fake club condemned one of Dublin's biggest and longest serving clubs to a stint in the lower tier of Irish football for the first time in their history. Not bad for a club that didnt last more than 20 minutes.

No my enmity is completely and solely aimed at Sheridan who refuses to have the good grace of his erstwhile club and do one. The obsession with Rovers is tiresome and worthy of the most small-minded gypo, which, if sheridan decides to follow his heart, he could easily become.

KOH

BohDiddley
21/11/2006, 5:41 PM
Only on foot.ie...

dcfcsteve
21/11/2006, 5:49 PM
All that's missing is a fans' representative.

Was thinking that myself. The NLSA should try to get involved.

BohDiddley
23/11/2006, 5:06 PM
Was thinking that myself. The NLSA should try to get involved.
Good idea. If there's an NLSA person here, could they please PM me.

WeAreRovers
23/11/2006, 5:23 PM
That said, I may indeed make an appearance since it's in my neck of the woods. I hope Byrne is going to drawl about "mattamattix" again or list all the people he wishes to see "die screaming", in fact I may press him on these very points.

Apologies to Sheridan for taking this long to bite but I've only just noticed this blatant piece of class-snobbery. So what if he's working class and speaks with a Dublin accent. Is that something to be ashamed of?

He's done more for football in this country than you, Rocky and all the rest of Deceased FC will ever do or have ever done.

Oh and by the way, he got his wish. Deceased FC may not have died screaming but die you did. Other than us winning the 1st it was easily the best thing to happen this season. You're a ridiculous snob, nothing more and nothing less. Alroite bud?

KOH

Sheridan
23/11/2006, 5:42 PM
The laughable thing about that post is that I'm more working-class than either of you could ever aspire to be. Doesn't necessarily betoken vulgarity.

Anyway, like I said, if my obsessive fans could PM their abuse to me in future, I'm sure everyone would thank them. I can at least offer a proxy outlet for that itch you can never, ever scratch.

BTW, Diddley, I think this is a very worthwhile enterprise and would encourage everyone to attend. I just got the impression that some were overestimating its scope and remit.

BohDiddley
24/11/2006, 9:58 AM
BTW, Diddley, I think this is a very worthwhile enterprise and would encourage everyone to attend.
Sorry Sheridan, I got the wrong end of the stick entirely. I thought you said it was 'some bloke flogging a book, a couple of rent-a-quotes and a two-bit hack with a one-way ticket to the gravy train.' :D
But thanks for the kind words.
When are you going to get over things and become a Bohs fan, as someone has suggested? ;)

Gareth
24/11/2006, 10:08 AM
Erm, the fans representatives will be the people in attendance no?

DvB
24/11/2006, 10:34 AM
The laughable thing about that post is that I'm more working-class than either of you could ever aspire to be. Doesn't necessarily betoken vulgarity.

Anyway, like I said, if my obsessive fans could PM their abuse to me in future, I'm sure everyone would thank them. I can at least offer a proxy outlet for that itch you can never, ever scratch.

BTW, Diddley, I think this is a very worthwhile enterprise and would encourage everyone to attend. I just got the impression that some were overestimating its scope and remit.

My god man, listen to yourself, you have serious delusions of grandeur!

Whatever your feelings towards SRFC (plainly obvious anyway i'd have thought at this stage) at least have the decency to accept the fact that whatever the circumstances when push came to shove we were there to stop our club from ceasing to exist, the playoff defeat was a mere blip in the long history of the club, it appears to be the ONLY thing of note ICBINHFRIP can refer to in their blink of an eye history! I know what i'd prefer!!

No doubt your tiresome tirade against all things SRFC & its supporters/directors etc will continue, in reality though by continuing this diatribe the only loser here will be you, fact is i know not of one SRFC supporter that cares about your extinct franchise even remotely close to your 'hard on' for Rovers, that says it all!!

See you at the book launch, ...oops sorry, debate!! I assume you'll be the one with the shiny new Bohs scarf!

Koh

dcfcsteve
24/11/2006, 10:38 AM
Erm, the fans representatives will be the people in attendance no?

That's not the asame as having a speaker's presence on the panel Gareth.

It would be like exclusing Fianna Fail from Questions and Answers, and saying 'sure the audience can be the Fianna Fail rep'....

sonofstan
24/11/2006, 6:17 PM

I'm puzzled by this:
1) How do you know if you're more working class than either JB or WAR? what are your criteria? and how do you know either or both or them 'aspire' to being working class anyway?
2) Being working class 'doesn't necessarily betoken vulgarity' - well, if vulgar means 'of the people' then in a way it does; if you mean JB is 'Vulgar' because he has a Dublin accent, whereas you have somehow risen above such a low accent, then WAR's accusation of snobbery would appear to stand

BohDiddley
28/11/2006, 7:46 AM
Just a reminder that the class war, sorry, debate, is on this Thursday, November 30.
There's been a bit of confusion elsewhere, with some thinking that it happened last week.

Dodge
28/11/2006, 8:09 AM
The laughable thing about that post is that I'm more working-class than either of you could ever aspire to be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

monutdfc
28/11/2006, 8:23 AM
It would be like exclusing Fianna Fail from Questions and Answers, and saying 'sure the audience can be the Fianna Fail rep'....
well maybe if Q&A had one or the other and not both every week it would be a more balanced programme ;)