PDA

View Full Version : FAI statement - 29 October 2002

Pablo
29/10/2002, 3:56 PM
FAI statement - 29 October 2002

In response to reports that Mick McCarthy and FAI officials are due to meet this week to discuss the manager's future, the FAI would like to state that it is in regular contact with McCarthy, and so far, the manager has not requested any meeting.

If the manager, who is in Ireland this week, does wish to meet any officials, his request will be accommodated.

In the meantime, the FAI and manager will continue finalising arrangements for the friendly international against Greece in Athens on November 20. McCarthy has always insisted that the forthcoming game, and February's clash with Scotland, were vital for Ireland's European Championship qualification hopes because, otherwise, the squad would not have a game together until next March's trip to Tblisi to face Georgia.

Éanna
29/10/2002, 4:45 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
the manager, who is in Ireland this week
isn´t he brilliant :rolleyes: :mad:

pete
29/10/2002, 5:27 PM
I don't see the FAI really have any option but to show public support of their manager until something changes....

No doubt some people will see fit to criticise them for something.....

Éanna
30/10/2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by pete
I don't see the FAI really have any option but to show public support of their manager until something changes....
they´ll do what they did to dooney and bernard o´byrne etc., they´ll support them for a bit and then stab them in the back to make sure they keep their nice cosy jobs in merrion square and make sure all us horrible peasants don´t bother them :rolleyes: :mad:

patsh
30/10/2002, 6:57 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

isn´t he brilliant :rolleyes: :mad:
True story...
I was having a meal in a cafe in Alvor (Portugal) last friday night, when an english guy came in and announced that Mick McCarthy was "up the road". My girlfriend said to me to go up and get it off my chest to him and I might stop annoying her. "No way", I said" the guy is probably with his family and enjoying a quite holiday, which he is entitled to".
So later on, we were walking up the street, and there he is sitting outside an Irish bar, wearing his Irish training gear ! In fairness, he did not seem to mind people coming over for autographs and photos, but when we got up near to him, there were 2 heavies and a guy in a suit "minding" him and the guy he was drinking with. Your man in the suit saw me looking at him and maybe he thought I was going to do or say something, but he says to me "Mick is just here for a quite, private drink".
Now thats fair enough, but if you want a quite, private drink, would you sit outside an Irish bar in your irish gear on the main tourist street in a town hugely popular with Irish people ???
Even my girlfriend, who has no feelings one way or the other about the guy, thought that he was looking for attention and even trouble !!!
Ah well, it could have been worse, it could have been Gunther !!!;)

fosterdollar
30/10/2002, 7:05 PM
he's at it again... just waiting for someone to say something to him and he can rant on about how everyone is turning against him

Neil
31/10/2002, 4:53 AM
Originally posted by oddboy

would you sit outside an Irish bar in your irish gear on the main tourist street in a town hugely popular with Irish people ???
Even my girlfriend, who has no feelings one way or the other about the guy, thought that he was looking for attention and even trouble !!!

WHAT!!!

He was sitting outside a bar wearing a tracksuit!!!!!!!!!
Jesus H Christ!!! The troublemaker!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Éanna
31/10/2002, 10:25 AM
would you sit outside an Irish bar in your irish gear on the main tourist street in a town hugely popular with Irish people ???

I´d do whatever I wanted to to relax in my private time. I can´t believe you even thought of having a go to be honest. Do it at a game if you must, the guy is entitled to his private life. I wouldn´t dream of having a pop at gunther in the street or any other manager for that matter.

Éanna
31/10/2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Magoo
he's at it again... just waiting for someone to say something to him and he can rant on about how everyone is turning against him
thats just crap. he´s entitled to a private life just like the rest of us.

fosterdollar
31/10/2002, 12:57 PM

thats just crap. he´s entitled to a private life just like the rest of us.

well, in fairness, football is his business and the way things are 'in the office' for him at the moment it's a bit dubious to be mixing business with pleasure IMO

Schumi
31/10/2002, 2:29 PM
Originally posted by Magoo

well, in fairness, football is his business and the way things are 'in the office' for him at the moment it's a bit dubious to be mixing business with pleasure IMO
How is drinking in an Irish bar mixing business with pleasure?

patsh
31/10/2002, 4:41 PM
Originally posted by Neil

WHAT!!!

He was sitting outside a bar wearing a tracksuit!!!!!!!!!
Jesus H Christ!!! The troublemaker!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It was a tee-shirt and shorts.
My point was that if you want a quite drink, surely that is not the place to go. There are a lot of places to have a quite drink, and that was a very public place.
Do you deliberately try to miss the point Neil?

To Eanna:
I did not want to have a go at him. If you read my post, I said he was entitled to a bit of peace and quite.

Neil
01/11/2002, 4:09 AM

My point was that if you want a quite drink, surely that is not the place to go. There are a lot of places to have a quite drink, and that was a very public place.
Do you deliberately try to miss the point Neil?

Yeah, I deliberately try and miss points of all sorts :rolleyes:
And my point, odd, is that he is entitled to go and have a drink wherever the hell he wants! Surely?
But even, if he was in an igloo in Alaska wearing a fake moustache and a pair shades you'd have some other reason to moan.

patsh
01/11/2002, 8:20 AM
Originally posted by Neil

Yeah, I deliberately try and miss points of all sorts :rolleyes:
And my point, odd, is that he is entitled to go and have a drink wherever the hell he wants! Surely?
But even, if he was in an igloo in Alaska wearing a fake moustache and a pair shades you'd have some other reason to moan.
I was not moaning, Neil, just relating a factual event.
At the mention of McCarthy's name, you are up on your sanctimonious high horse, deliberately ignoring the point, flinging your witless sarcasm and attempting to ridicule anyone who might have a different opinion on him to you.
Get down off your mount, something your buddy McCarthy should do as well.

Macy
01/11/2002, 9:21 AM
Do it at a game if you must, the guy is entitled to his private life.

Eh? And there was me thinking that there had been numerous threads on here having a go at people for doing just that at the swiss game...... :confused: :rolleyes:

Éanna
04/11/2002, 9:30 AM
Originally posted by Macy
Eh? And there was me thinking that there had been numerous threads on here having a go at people for doing just that at the swiss game...... :confused: :rolleyes:
I objected to people chanting Keano after the Swis game, but I didn´t object to people chanting mccarthy out or some such thing.