PDA

View Full Version : Dicker and Kavanagh gone on trials

thegit
21/11/2006, 9:00 AM
This is from today's independent.

http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/football/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1727993

UCD midfielders Gary Dicker and Paddy Kavanagh could be set for close-season moves to England.

Both players started week-long trials yesterday - U-21 international Dicker at Bradford City and Kavanagh at Birmingham City. Kavanagh was playing Leinster Senior League football with Wayside Celtic at the beginning of the year. He joined UCD in July and scored four goals in seven games for the Students.

Hulsey
21/11/2006, 9:36 AM
Thought Dicker would have gotten somewhere a bit higher than Bradford to be honest. He'll be a big loss for you lot if he goes, up there with gamble etc, as one of the best midfielders in the league

pineapple stu
21/11/2006, 12:48 PM
He'll be a loss, but we have a replacement already in Ronan Finn.

Hadn't thought of Kavanagh leaving to be honest - he'll be a bigger loss. A goalscoring midfielder was exactly what we needed, and it showed towards the end of the season when he scored in three consecutive games, all of which we won. Amazed he's gone to a higher club than Dicker!

DmanDmythDledge
21/11/2006, 1:06 PM
To be honest I'll be annoyed if Dicker goes to Bradford. They are in the bottom half of League One and he can get a much better move than that. Also he will be playing against better players in the Eircom League.

Kavanagh would be a big loss. His pace brings an added dimension to the team. And as Pineapple has pointed out he has been scoring goals. Birmingham would be a good club to move to- 3rd in the Championship, Premiership standard set-up- so I wouldn't begrudge him a move there.

He'll be a loss, but we have a replacement already in Ronan Finn.
I think it will take Finn a month or so to get used to playing CM, at this level. Anytime he played there this season he had an average game. I feel he can adapt to this position in time, but he's not the finished article yet.

Poor Student
21/11/2006, 1:09 PM
I'm a bit shocked about Kavanagh. He's only here on an amateur basis this season and we'll get nothing. But if he does win a move then fair play to him, that's a pretty meteoric rise! Bit of a strange one, he's too old to take a chance to sit in the reserves of an English club so unless he slots in he might not see action for a while. That said I know the family of one Championship player who has barely made an appearance and he's doing very well on the wages.

Bradford could be a good club for Dicker to establish himself in England. They're a biggish club, not doing too well and low enough down so he could expect to slot straight in. Best of luck to them both and I'll be looking out for them if they're successful. Enjoy your time in England, thegit.;)

thegit
21/11/2006, 1:53 PM
Yeh and your Pete Mahon ;) Enjoy the new first division:D it's a bit hard to be in Dublin and England at the same time. Don't ya think, didn't they teach you that in college?:confused:

Student Mullet
21/11/2006, 2:10 PM
****er's move's no surprise but I'll be annoyed if we loose Kavanagh, he won a good few games for us last year.

The only advantage I can see is that if Kav goes straight from UCD to a side at the top of the first division in England it might encourage more teenagers to stay in Ireland to play instead of going accross when they're still in school.

Yeh and your Pete Mahon ;) He's found you out, Poor Student.

thegit
21/11/2006, 2:21 PM
Ahh now come on Mr Mullet, I hope you didn't learn that bad language in college? What would your teacher say:p

Poor Student
21/11/2006, 3:01 PM
Btw, if we're due a fee for Dicker (which I'm 99% certain) then we should cut a deal with Bradford for a sell on free precentage clause even if it means a cut price deal. Bradford's position looks really crap and if he impresses he could be taking a step up for a significant fee in eL terms.

pineapple stu
22/11/2006, 12:31 PM
Ahh now come on Mr Mullet, I hope you didn't learn that bad language in college? What would your teacher say:p
Think he learnt it off the Shels website.

Birmingham forum (http://z4.invisionfree.com/BLUES_FORUM/index.php?showtopic=23303), for anyone interested. Bradford one is down at the moment.

Edit - Bradford forum. (http://bcafc.livewwware.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12833&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Poor Student
22/11/2006, 7:00 PM
Anyone reckon it might be wise to move for Pat Sullivan to replace Kav?

DmanDmythDledge
22/11/2006, 7:04 PM
Anyone reckon it might be wise to move for Pat Sullivan to replace Kav?
He's a good player, but I don't think he would be an improvement on what we have at the moment (Hurley and McWalter).

CollegeTillIDie
22/11/2006, 9:42 PM
I was chatting with Podge McWalter, after the Longford game . He is awaiting surgery on a cruciate and he will take six months to recover from surgery so he will be back most likely in July at the earliest!

pineapple stu
24/11/2006, 12:38 PM
On the Bradford forum, they're saying that Dicker has impressed with the reserves to date, but none of them reckon they could afford any sort of transfer fee.

Bit in the Star yesterday saying that both were doing well and that the club would be looking for substantial fees for both. Given that we can't claim fees for Kavanagh as an amateur, I'm going to assume that was typical Star embellishment.

Poor Student
24/11/2006, 1:35 PM
Why would they take Dicker on if they couldn't afford him?:confused:

CollegeTillIDie
24/11/2006, 9:00 PM
They might look for Gary Dicker on loan till say May. And if they offload someone else might make a bid for him if Gary does well over there. Bradford are still suffering financially a bit from their dalliance with the Premiership a while back. We should stitch them for a few bob the way Bray did with the Norwegians ( Eamon Zayed in 2005) and Russians( Wes Charles same year).

Poor Student
24/11/2006, 9:06 PM
Bradford are still suffering financially a bit from their dalliance with the Premiership a while back.

That's not our problem. I'm sure someone else would express an interest in Gary if they can't/won't cough up the cash.

I've heard from a private source that Kavanagh is doing well at Birmingham and they'll be taking a further look at him over the next month.

CollegeTillIDie
24/11/2006, 9:17 PM
That's not our problem. I'm sure someone else would express an interest in Gary if they can't/won't cough up the cash.

I've heard from a private source that Kavanagh is doing well at Birmingham and they'll be taking a further look at him over the next month.

Never said it was OUR problem I was explaining why THEY might not be looking for a permanent deal at this time.

Poor Student
24/11/2006, 9:19 PM
Never said it was OUR problem I was explaining why THEY might not be looking for a permanent deal at this time.

A loan deal until May doesn't suit UCD and how do you loan an out of contract player?

CollegeTillIDie
26/11/2006, 1:06 PM
You re-sign him to another contract of course. It's not automatic that all out of contract players DO NOT sign new ones.

Poor Student
26/11/2006, 7:02 PM
His contract is up and he wants to leave, there won't be a new one unless he can't find a club abroad.

CollegeTillIDie
28/11/2006, 6:23 AM
So is any body making them an offer they cannot refuse?

thegit
28/11/2006, 9:33 AM
I just heard it there, Dicker has gone back to Bradford this morning. Make of it what you will, and no I'm not Dicker.:)

Poor Student
28/11/2006, 9:35 AM
I just heard it there, Dicker has gone back to Bradford this morning. Make of it what you will, and no I'm not Dicker.:)

Good luck, Gary.;)

thegit
28/11/2006, 9:43 AM
:D No worries Pete!

CollegeTillIDie
28/11/2006, 9:00 PM
Ok so the lads have been on trial.... how long did they get? :D

thegit
29/11/2006, 9:04 AM
I heard that Kavanagh was gone for 2 weeks to Birmingham and Dicker is gone for two weeks to Bradford and then he was going to another two clubs straight after, I reckon they could be two of the clubs Quigley has gone to.
If Steven Hurley hadn't had so many injuries this year I think he would be in the same boat as the lads above, any time I seen him last year he was amazing.

pineapple stu
29/11/2006, 12:56 PM
I see a figure of E400,000 being mentioned in one of the papers today for B international Roy O'Donovan from Cork to Wolves. Probably Cork trying to set their stall out high, but even still, half that figure would be nice.

joeSoap
29/11/2006, 1:26 PM
I see a figure of E400,000 being mentioned in one of the papers today for B international Roy O'Donovan from Cork to Wolves. Probably Cork trying to set their stall out high, but even still, half that figure would be nice.
Considering Kevin Doyle is now £6M + rated footballer (€10million) then I'd say that €400,000 is bloody peanuts for another with great potential.

John83
30/11/2006, 10:02 AM
I heard that Kavanagh was gone for 2 weeks to Birmingham and Dicker is gone for two weeks to Bradford and then he was going to another two clubs straight after, I reckon they could be two of the clubs Quigley has gone to.
If Steven Hurley hadn't had so many injuries this year I think he would be in the same boat as the lads above, any time I seen him last year he was amazing.
I wasn't aware he'd had much trouble with injuries. Pity really, but he'll get a good run next year if he stays fit and Kavanagh and Dicker get snapped up.

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2006, 6:35 AM
€ 400,000 is the least City should get for Roy O'Donovan and we should be into that bracket for any of our players for whom we are entitled to a fee.

thegit
01/12/2006, 8:51 AM
They'll never get that money, I think they just slapped that much on him because they don't want to loose any more players.

pineapple stu
01/12/2006, 7:05 PM
They'll never get that money, I think they just slapped that much on him because they don't want to loose any more players.
True. Also can't hurt to have figures like that being mentioned either. Point clubs they way Cork want them to think.

Poor Student
02/12/2006, 1:27 PM
Quigley seems to be on trial at Stockport. He played in a reserve game which they lost 3-1. That makes a bit of sense as Jim Gannon is manager there.

pineapple stu
02/12/2006, 2:00 PM
Stockport?!?!? That makes no sense; he's never had any dealings with Gannon.

Stockport forum (http://members3.boardhost.com/marionsboard/index.html/)

Poor Student
02/12/2006, 3:06 PM
Stockport?!?!? That makes no sense; he's never had any dealings with Gannon.

Stockport forum (http://members3.boardhost.com/marionsboard/index.html/)

No, but surely Gannon being an ex-eL manager he must be aware of Quigley's existence.

CollegeTillIDie
02/12/2006, 5:23 PM
Stockport County one of the big clubs in Manchester, :)

Poor Student
05/12/2006, 12:48 PM
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=432342&CPID=10&clid=55&lid=&title=English+trials+for+Irish+trio

This article from the end of November says we're looking for a sizeable fee for the lads. For all we know the source is Pineapple saying it on the Bradford board though.

pineapple stu
05/12/2006, 9:23 PM
It's taken from the UCD website alright. The quote is mine, and the info about Kavanagh is actually correct, leading me to believe that they've read the website. As, in fairness, they have a right to do and to trust.

CollegeTillIDie
08/12/2006, 9:45 PM
Has there been any further developments on the transfer front?