PDA

View Full Version : Bohs game preview

Pablo
29/10/2002, 3:53 PM
FAI.ie

Cork looking to narrow gap - 28 October 2002

Cork City can narrow the gap on runaway Premier Division leaders Bohemians to just six points when the two teams clash before another 8,000 sell-out crowd at Turners Cross in the pick of a full programme of eircom League fixtures starting on Friday night.

Fresh from that first away win in nine attempts in Cup and league games this season thanks to that 3-2 victory over Bray Wanderers last Friday, Liam Murphy's Cork team will be anxious to make inroads on Bohs nine point lead.

With a match in hand, Cork also have an equally demanding fixture against St Patrick's Athletic at Richmond Park the following Monday night. Six points from those two games would leave Cork just three points behind Stephen Kenny's Bohs side who are still unbeaten side with that impressive record of nine wins and five draws in 14 league games.

There will be three matches in Dublin the same night with clubs either very much up to step up their bids for a European place next season or hoist themselves out of the dreaded relegation zone.

Derry City will put their celebrations on hold after Sunday's FAI Carlsberg Cup final 1-0 victory over Shamrock Rovers at Tolka Park when they travel back to Dublin for their meeting with St Patrick's Athletic at Richmond Park. Victory would put the Inchicore men right back in the hunt for a European place.

Second placed Shelbourne, currently eight points behind Bohemians, will be hoping that that Shamrock Rovers are still suffering from a hangover after the disappointment of that Cup final defeat by Derry when the two teams clash in the attractive Dublin derby game at Tolka Park.

Elsewhere Drogheda United will be hoping to end a run of three defeats when they take on fellow strugglers Bray Wanderers at O2 Park while bottom of the table UCD will be happy with nothing less than three points for the visit of Longford Town to Belfield Park.

On Thursday night there is a top of the table clash between Waterford Utd and Dundalk at the R.S.C. - a match certain to bring in one of the biggest crowds of the season on Suirside.

On Friday lowly Kilkenny City will be hoping for only a second win in ten games when they take on Limerick at Buckley Park.

Saturday sees two First Division fixtures down for decision with Cobh Ramblers playing host to Sligo Rovers at St.Colman's Park, while title chasers Finn Harps in action against Galway United in Balllybofey.

The remaining weekend fixtures on Sunday see improving Dublin City take on Kildare County at Santry while bottom club Monaghan United will be in action against Athlone Town at Century Homes Park.

First Division (Thursday Oct. 31).
Waterford Utd, v Dundalk (R.S.C. - 7.30 pm).

Premier Division (Friday Nov.1).
Cork City v Bohemians (Turners Cross - 7.45 pm).
Drogheda Utd. v Bray Wanderers (O2 Park - 8.00 pm).
St Patrick's Athletic v Derry City (Richmond Park - 7.45pm).
Shelbourne v Shamrock Rovers (Tolka Park - 7.45 pm).
UCD v Longford Town (Belfield Park - 7.45 pm).

First Division (Friday, Nov.1)
Kilkenny City v Limerick (Buckley Park - 7.45 pm).

First Division (Saturday, Nov. 2)
Cobh Ramblers v Sligo Rovers (St.Colman;s Park - 7.45 pm).
Finn Harps v Galway United (Finn Park - 7.30 pm).

First Division (Sunday, Nov.3)
Dublin City v Kildare County (Santry Stadium - 2.00 pm).
Monaghan Utd. v Athlone Town (Century Homes Stadium - 3.00 pm).

Premier Division (Monday, November 4)
St Patrick's Athletic v Cork City (Richmond Park - 7.45 pm).

Pablo
29/10/2002, 3:54 PM
Its a sell out eh? we had better stay at home so lads :D

Éanna
29/10/2002, 4:44 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
With a match in hand, Cork also have an equally demanding fixture against St Patrick's Athletic at Richmond Park the following Monday night.
I thought that was at home?!:confused:

James
29/10/2002, 4:48 PM
nope set piece athletic game is on monday night in cork

next 2 fixtures

friday night - bohs (home)
monday night - pats (home)

6points will do nicely

Éanna
29/10/2002, 4:50 PM
yup, i thought we were at home alright. even 4 points out of those 2 games wouldn´t be too bad, provided it´s bohs we beat.

pete
29/10/2002, 5:37 PM
Is that game likely to be a seelout on friday? I'd have thought 5-6k be doing very well?

Poor mistake by fai site - if ya mail them they will cha ge for ya.... ;)

If city play to their home game potential theres no reason can't get 6 points this weekend - neither game be won lightly but doesn't mean they can't do it.

Éanna
30/10/2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by pete
Is that game likely to be a seelout on friday? I'd have thought 5-6k be doing very well?
no reason why it shouldn´t be a sell-out. Could be the game that decides our season

Gary
30/10/2002, 12:18 PM
Well if the weather stays the way it is now, i cant se there being more than 1500.

Éanna
30/10/2002, 4:07 PM
Originally posted by GWA
Well if the weather stays the way it is now, i cant se there being more than 1500.
that bad?! :eek:

Neil
31/10/2002, 5:01 AM
If Georgie is out I'd go for:

- - - - - - - Devine - - - - - - -
O'Halloran-Murray-Daly-Horgan
Warren-Rennie-Benno-Woods
- - - O'Flynn - Mulligan - - -

Is Mulligan available?

If not it has to be Colin P I suppose. Not a bad fourth choice striker either, could be his type of game (he made a habit of coming from nowhere to score a winner last year)

Or else play Warren up front with Colin T on the right?

Éanna
31/10/2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Neil
- - - - - - - Devine - - - - - - -
O'Halloran-Murray-Daly-Horgan
Warren-Rennie-Benno-Woods
- - - O'Flynn - Mulligan - - -

I´d stick Greg in midfield and Benno in defence- and bring Gaz in for Deccie.

Devine
Hoggy Murray Benno Gaz
Warren Rennie Greg Woods
O´Flynn Mull