PDA

View Full Version : End of Season review

KildareFan
20/11/2006, 3:29 PM
With apologies to the Galway lads, i took this off their page

Player of the Season: Stephen Cooling
Under-Performer of the Season: Brendan Kennedy
Best Signing: Philly Gorman
Worst Signing: Turned out to Alan Mulcahy but it's a pity because he had a lot more to offer the team than he did.
Best Atmosphere: Not much atmosphere at Station Road these days so I suppose it has to be one of the Shamrock Rovers games
Best Game: The 3-2 home defeat to Dundalk - excellent game with some great goals and only an unbelieveable save from Chris Bennion stopped us taking a point off them
Best Away Day: Didn't get to many of the long trips but most of our good results came away from home such as wins in Dundalk, Cobh, and Limerick and good draws against Finn Harps and Galway
Worst Game: Probably the 4-0 hammering at Station Road by Cobh
Local Hero: Probably still Philly Gorman but he has a lot of players after that crown now!!
Most Impressive Youngster: Paddy Mahon scored a bucketful for the 21's and got one for the seniors as well
Goal of the Season: Cooling's free kick agaisnt Bray in the FAI Cup
Most Consistent Performer: Either Cooling or Philly Byrne
Funniest Moment: -
Highlight of the Season:The Under 21's reaching the cup final in Cork
Lowlight of the season:That we never looked like finishing any higher that we did in the end

Kildare Lad
20/11/2006, 4:27 PM
Player of the Season: Stephen Cooling
Under-Performer of the Season: Alan Mulcahy
Best Signing: Philly Gorman
Worst Signing: Gareth Christie
Best Atmosphere: For me personally, 2-2 draw with Athlone was good craic!
Best Game: The 3-2 home defeat to Dundalk
Best Away Day: Didnt get to any away matchs this year, so i cant say
Worst Game: Losing 4-0 to cobh
Local Hero: Philly Gorman or Paddy Mahon
Most Impressive Youngster: Paddy Mahon Or the Rigney's
Goal of the Season: Cooling's free kick against Dundalk
Most Consistent Performer: Stephen Cooling
Funniest Moment: Gareth Christie scoring against Dundalk
Highlight of the Season: Re-Signing Philly Gorman
Lowlight of the season: Where do i begin........

steno
20/11/2006, 5:16 PM
Heres my ones:

Player of the Season: Stephen Cooling honorable mentions, Philly Bryne because he always gives it his all, Barry Clancy and Stephen Mc Crossan were also consistent
Under-Performer of the Season: Brendan Kennedy, (un)honourable mentions, Ian Maher for the number of hairy moments, Darren McKenna for missing opportunites that were easier to score.
Best Signing: Philly Gorman and Alan Mc Dermott equally good signings
Worst Signing: Alan Mulcahy/Brendan Kennedy (i know he's a re-signing)
Best Atmosphere:Athlone town had a good atmosphere because it rained buckets and everyone came into the stand. Shamrock rovers get an honorable mention for the big crowd
Best Game: The 3-2 home defeat to Dundalk and the 4-2 win against Monaghan United
Best Away Day: Only went to Cobh cause I happened to be visiting friends at the time and Rovers so can't really say. Been a busy year for myself hope to make more next year.
Worst Game: Wasn't at the 4-0 by Cobh but the 2-0 defeat against Galway back at the start was pretty dour stuff.
Local Hero: Philly Gorman
Most Impressive Youngster: Paddy Mahon
Goal of the Season: Cooling's free kick against Bray in the FAI Cup and his one against Dundalk was equally good so its a tie in my books.
Most Consistent Performer: Philly Byrne without a doubt.
Funniest Moment: Wasn't any of real note, a lot of depressing ones though.
Highlight of the Season:The Under 21's reaching the cup final in Cork
Lowlight of the season: The season in general.

Philly
26/11/2006, 3:00 PM
Kildare Lad, you don't like Christie then do you?

steno
26/11/2006, 7:13 PM
Well in fairness to Kildare Lad when he was good he was pretty good and when he was bad he was damn bad.

Philly
26/11/2006, 8:16 PM
I think he started poorly but picked up as the season went along. That could be put down to his lack of fitness when he joined. I would like to see him being kept on. Worstplayer for the season has to be McKenna. The guy can't score and he is a striker. Awful combo.

steno
26/11/2006, 8:39 PM
In fairness to Gareth he was injured in his first or second game but came back from that and contributed nicley to a couple of goals before getting injured again. Came back from that and didn't appear to get going at all but still somehow managed a goal against Dundalk.

I think next season if he is still with Kildare will give a far better indication of what the fella is capable off, he just was a bit unlucky with injury this (or last) season.

As for Mc Kenna, he misssed oppurtunities that were easier to score has he left the club? he hadn't appeared for quiet a while. I think County have far better striker options in the 2nd half of the season then they did at the start of the 2006 season when we just could not buy a goal. Was delighted to hear Gorman had signed on for another year.

Philly
27/11/2006, 12:12 PM
I can't see McKenna being kept on. He is non-league material. Bowers is over rated I think. He was free scoring in the KDFL, but rarely shone for us, apart from a bright spell when he joined. If we get Willie Doyle we will have the two of the best strikers in D1 with him playing next to Gorman. Then we just need to sort out the midfield and defence!! :p

steno
27/11/2006, 3:36 PM
Can't see Mc Kenna been kept on but you never know. Disagree with you about Bowers, I think he is quiet a good player and he was struggling with injury towards the end the season. Like Christie I think next season will give a far better picture of his abilities.

If we were to have Philly Gorman, Trevor Bowers, Paddy Mahon, Ger Robinson and Willie Doyle, it would be a formidable strike force to choose from. Paddy Mahon will probably need another season he is only 17, but he will probably play more of a role next season then he did this one and is probably why the club will have 5 strilkers if Willie joins.

I think Mc Dermott and Philly Bryne could be quiet good next season. Defence improved a good bit after Alans signing but still needs alot of improvement. Barry Clancy is consistent and I think Ian Malone never really got going due to injury but would be an ideal backup for Mc Dermott and Bryne in the center. Colin Osbourne also looks promising and Christie need next season to prove himself.

Hopefully John Flynn and Carl Donnelly will provide us with a reliable keeper and have a better understanding with their back four because some of the goals conceded this season were needless and crimnal.

I hope we can keep Cooling with the better certainty of first team football here than with a premier division team.