PDA

View Full Version : Roy Curtis....how does he get away with it?

Pages : [1] 2

Den Perry
19/11/2006, 8:51 PM
How has this guy been getting away with his style of writing for so long? his attacks on people are very personal but thats not what bothers me as much as his style of writing.....it is absolutely shocking? why does he try so hard to be funny? he does not tell us anything we dont already know and his column just seems to be there as a platform for him to show he is a "funny guy"

Anybody agree that he is the worst football writer around at the moment?

Mento
19/11/2006, 9:05 PM
most sundays i will get a phone call from a mate which goes something like this - "see that ***** curtis writing ****e AGAIN, what sort of fool is this guy blah blah.."

i only finish work at 10ish so will read the crap when i get home (see it does sell papers)

last weeks article beggared belief.
he blabbed on about his hero Roy keane after Keane had a go at Divers - some who are Irish.
He then slated Robbie Keane for been a diver and a cheat.
Now I personally dont think robbie dives, he may go down a little bit easier as centre forwards do (think it's to do with the more twisting and turning and running at defenders they do).
I stand corrected but I dont think i have ever seen robbie get booked for diving.
Now if Curtis did his proper research, as all good journos do, he would realise his article is tainted with the highest degree of hypocrisy.
cast your mind back to 1995 Roy when your namesake was sent off for a blatant dive against Blackburn:p

Den Perry
19/11/2006, 9:14 PM
most sundays i will get a phone call from a mate which goes something like this - "see that ***** curtis writing ****e AGAIN, what sort of fool is this guy blah blah.."

i only finish work at 10ish so will read the crap when i get home (see it does sell papers)

last weeks article beggared belief.
he blabbed on about his hero Roy keane after Keane had a go at Divers - some who are Irish.
He then slated Robbie Keane for been a diver and a cheat.
Now I personally dont think robbie dives, he may go down a little bit easier as centre forwards do (think it's to do with the more twisting and turning and running at defenders they do).
I stand corrected but I dont think i have ever seen robbie get booked for diving.
Now if Curtis did his proper research, as all good journos do, he would realise his article is tainted with the highest degree of hypocrisy.
cast your mind back to 1995 Roy when your namesake was sent off for a blatant dive against Blackburn:p

I know, i remember it well. That said I am a Roy Keane fan. Curtis is way worse this week...its scandalous. I wonder if he is on this site?

DmanDmythDledge
19/11/2006, 9:15 PM
Who does he write for?

Den Perry
19/11/2006, 9:20 PM
The Sunday World....and before you criticise me I also read the Sunday Times and Indo today!

pete
19/11/2006, 9:52 PM
The Sunday World....and before you criticise me I also read the Sunday Times and Indo today!

I can't believe I any reading a thread where people expect good journalism from the Sunday World & Sindo...

:confused:

Donal81
20/11/2006, 8:27 AM
Any chance you could post the article?

OwlsFan
20/11/2006, 9:20 AM
Dunphy has been doing this sort of stuff for years so he's trying to ape (I use the word advisedly) him it would appear. It's a tactic that works it seems. Write any old controversial sh**e and get yourself noticed.

That said I have never read this guy's stuff nor have I read anything by Dunphy for years, except the index to his biography of Keane for references to Sheff Wed and each one turned out to be a reference to Sheff Utd:rolleyes:

Billsthoughts
20/11/2006, 11:24 AM
I dont think he was personally responsible for the index!
Curtis = moron.
?Begs the question how he got a job?
Better(and funnier) writers on here.

cheifo
20/11/2006, 12:11 PM
Curtis writes with an obvious vanity which makes him a fair target!His constants attempt at macho quips & analogies are cringing.In fairness Eamon Sweeney in the Sindo is very good IMO and they give Sean Ryan a lot more space these days.

Noelys Guitar
20/11/2006, 12:55 PM
Dunphy put through a photcopier 50 times. Bumped into Curtis at Euro 88. Convinced it was him that got 3 of us thrown out of the hotel we had been staying in. Room next to his. Ok having another 10 or 15 people in our room singing at 4am might have ****ed him off!

lionelhutz
20/11/2006, 1:02 PM
Dion Fannings articles in the sunday indo are excellent i think. Especially when he writes about the Irish team and his 'that was the week' column which is hilarious.

Yesterday he wrote about Ireland becoming the new Cyprus of the world (ie a bit of a joke of a team) and the fact that Stan and the boys did a meaningless lap of honour at the end of the utterly meaningless game on Wednesday - twas very good

Pauro 76
20/11/2006, 1:40 PM
the man’s a tool. Sunday World the only Irish newspaper i can get my way, and his articles are cringeworthy to say the least. He had one article during the World Cup slagging off the English as a nation....awful to read it was libellious, if it was the other way around, we’d be up in arms.

OwlsFan
20/11/2006, 2:13 PM
Dion Fannings articles in the sunday indo are excellent i think. Especially when he writes about the Irish team and his 'that was the week' column which is hilarious.

Yesterday he wrote about Ireland becoming the new Cyprus of the world (ie a bit of a joke of a team) and the fact that Stan and the boys did a meaningless lap of honour at the end of the utterly meaningless game on Wednesday - twas very good

It wasn't a "lap of honour" and it wasn't a "meaningless" game. It was a farewell gesture to Lansdowne which I thought was good - wasn't there to see it mind as I had fled the minute the final whistle went:D

Don't like Fanning - he spent most of his time sniping at McCarthy. Now he continues it with Stan.

OwlsFan
20/11/2006, 2:15 PM
I dont think he was personally responsible for the index!.

If that was my book (and I have published a book:eek: ) I would personally check the index.

Donal81
20/11/2006, 3:41 PM
The only reason that moronic journalists get published is because people read rags like the Sunday World, the Star, the Irish Sun and the Evening Herald. Stop buying this rubbish and maybe they'll take notice. So much of the tabloids' sales rely on people buying it for sport and instead of playing to that with decent, fan-friendly coverage, look at the horsesh!t they come up with. They've got enough money to do better but they're just not bothered so why bother paying them for the privilege? There's so much better stuff out there, I'm amazed that people still buy them. I'm even more confused when people buy these rubbish papers and are then surprised when they get served with awful journalism. These newspapers will never change; if anything, they're getting worse.

OwlsFan
21/11/2006, 7:26 AM
They don't buy them for the journalism - they buy them for the t*ts!:D

Donal81
21/11/2006, 8:56 AM

Indeed. As the editor of the Sunday World says, "Gah (GAA) and g**."
;)

Billsthoughts
21/11/2006, 11:26 AM
If that was my book (and I have published a book:eek: ) I would personally check the index.

what was the name of your book?
"Lets have one last big cheer folks! - the secret life of a PA anouncer"?

NeilMcD
21/11/2006, 11:31 AM
The PA Announcer was interviewed in the Latest edition of you boys in green. Lookds totally different to what I thought he would look like to be honest.

Billsthoughts
21/11/2006, 11:37 AM
was he not the dreamboat you imagined?

Jerry The Saint
21/11/2006, 1:14 PM
Played a stormer again at half-time in the rugby on Sunday - "Let's hear it for Ireland's BEST supporter!" (some bored-looking kid who'd rather be in out of the rain than at the game), "Let's hear it for 02, Ireland's BEST sponsor!", etc. I don't think there's a court in the world that would convict the sniper that took out that PA announcer.

Much better to get the remarkably posh-sounding guy who announces the subs and scorers for the rugby. Multi-lingual too!

Replacement pour Stade Francais, numero vingt-et-un replaces numero dix...

Wonder how his Slovakian is?

NeilMcD
21/11/2006, 2:04 PM
was he not the dreamboat you imagined?

No he had a big bushy tache and I hate that.

NY Hoop
21/11/2006, 2:21 PM

An incredible ****. Fanning "supports" liverpool so right there is a clue of his knowlege of the game. Muppets like him hope the national team loses so he can slag off the players and managers. And he calls himself Irish?:rolleyes:

As someone else says dont buy the tabloids.

KOH

NeilMcD
21/11/2006, 3:50 PM
Fanning is a dick in my opinion.

Billsthoughts
21/11/2006, 4:05 PM
An incredible ****. Fanning "supports" liverpool so right there is a clue of his knowlege of the game. Muppets like him hope the national team loses so he can slag off the players and managers. And he calls himself Irish?:rolleyes:

Lots of people here support Liverpool it doesnt mean anything.
Think he is a good writer (altho not remoteley funny in his that was the week that was column)but whenever I read him criticising an Irish Manager I cant help thinking its a bit rich coming from someone who is only in a job cause of who is dad is...

Den Perry
21/11/2006, 9:21 PM

I'm not ashamed to say I read them...I play football on Sunday, go for a few pints and then read as many papers as possible!

The fact that Curtis writes for a tabloid is in my opinion irrelevant in this instance. Martin Samuel writes a decent column in News of World(although he does seem to go against the grain a lot just to be different), its just that Curtis is so up his own ****. I dont mind spending the 2europes or whatever it is just to read dr angela, but as i ve paid it i may as well read what that clown as to say

On Fanning, I think he actually writes decent articles, and in fairness you cant blame him for picking on Staunton, he is paid to write his opinions....

Billsthoughts
22/11/2006, 3:56 PM
OwlsFan.....ya gonna tell us the name of your book or what?
or were you just biggin yourself up?
ya can pm me the name of it if you want...

Macy
23/11/2006, 8:28 AM
That was the most stupid sending off I've ever seen. A (perfectly fair) sliding tackle that brought him down, no one claimed a peno - not the players, not the United fans behind that goal. Everyone just got on with it. It was never a dive, just ellery being a knob.

OwlsFan
23/11/2006, 9:05 AM
OwlsFan.....ya gonna tell us the name of your book or what?
or were you just biggin yourself up?
ya can pm me the name of it if you want...

It was just my late mother's writings that I had published:

http://www.amazon.com/Telling-Summer-Sins-Mount-Melleray/dp/0953015513/sr=1-5/qid=1164276157/ref=sr_1_5/002-7192537-5172847?ie=UTF8&s=books

Vanity publishing they call it. Not quite in the Roy Keane Biography league of best sellers:o

Mento
23/11/2006, 10:52 AM
That was the most stupid sending off I've ever seen. A (perfectly fair) sliding tackle that brought him down, no one claimed a peno - not the players, not the United fans behind that goal. Everyone just got on with it. It was never a dive, just ellery being a knob.

Macy, i think you are thinking of a different incident. Cause that was one of the most blatant dives I have ever seen.
Take the blinkers off mate

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=roy+keane+dive

Jerry The Saint
23/11/2006, 11:45 AM
Video evidence accusing Roy Keane of faking? That's the worst thing YouTube can do in football.

YouTube, you're a liar! I didn't rate you as a website, and I don't rate you as a google-owned video-sharing facility. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are a very popular site for looking up funny videos! You can stick it up your bol**cks!

osarusan
23/11/2006, 1:19 PM

There was absolutely no contact at all until after he started going down. He either dived or fell. He didnt fall.

osarusan
23/11/2006, 1:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=roy+keane+dive

Cheers for that Mento.

Mento
24/11/2006, 3:52 PM
Video evidence accusing Roy Keane of faking? That's the worst thing YouTube can do in football.

YouTube, you're a liar! I didn't rate you as a website, and I don't rate you as a google-owned video-sharing facility. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are a very popular site for looking up funny videos! You can stick it up your bol**cks!

quality

dont getme wrong folks, i am a roy keane fan big time - just havin a go at curtis here

Mento
24/11/2006, 6:48 PM
i predict a tame 0-0 draw with handshakes and smiles and predictable curtis to say what a wonderful person keane is for the gesture on sunday

Den Perry
26/11/2006, 9:20 PM
Jesus Curtis is scandalous in the paper today...."if utd lose,there is a better chance of a Jehovah Witness giving blood than Farry Neville wrapping his hands around the premiership trophy..." followed shortly be "fergie will have all the momentum of a car stuck in gridlock between Sandyford and bray"

"as much fun as an afternnon in stormont..."

He is the worst journalist I have ever come across. I actually agree with some of the points he makes...the problem is he states nothin g new and his style of writing is scandalous.

Curtis, if you are on this site, EXPLAIN YOURSELF

Pauro 76
27/11/2006, 12:41 PM

POTM...

Billsthoughts
27/11/2006, 12:50 PM
The guy writin the main soccer features in the indo now is just as bad...when did this really crappy style of writing become popular? its woeful..

Billsthoughts
27/11/2006, 1:18 PM
would you get over yourself ya obnoxious git?
people like me?
Its one of the main papers in the state. and its free on the internet and I like to read and stay informed.
so what?
"people like me?" like you are some superior being?
****ing snob.

passinginterest
27/11/2006, 1:53 PM
We'll just have to disagree so. In the meantime, I've a rake of Beanos and Dandys you are welcome to!

The constant attacks, on more than one forum, of people who choose to read tabloids are childish in the extreme. Most of the people posting on these forums are well educated and capable of making valid and interesting arguments. Attacking their choice of reading material is pointless. Most people don't rely on the, so called, 'gutter press' alone for their information, instead they take in news and views form various sources in order to form valid opinions. Restricting yourself to reading 'The Times' or other such 'respected' sources every day will result in a very narrow world view. Stop insulting genuine posts, if your not going to make any attempt to contribute to debates in a meaningful way stay out of them and stick to reading the comics.

cheifo
27/11/2006, 3:17 PM
Good grief Charlie Brown! what is it with Curtis and the constant stream of outlandish analogies?Vary it man, for God sake vary it.:confused:

Billsthoughts
27/11/2006, 3:53 PM
We'll just have to disagree so. In the meantime, I've a rake of Beanos and Dandys you are welcome to!

:D
I did actually smile at this...

Wolfie
27/11/2006, 3:58 PM
Not read many of Roy Curtis articles - but the old refrain of "there's no such thing as bad publicity" springs to mind.

His editor wants him to sell papers, many of us may put little or no credence on what is being said - but it appears some are reading the articles just to see what sh*&te he's writing about this week. The way papers function, they'd be quite happy with that result.

It only makes them stronger, the swines!!

Wolfie
27/11/2006, 4:38 PM
Same here - the Indo was the always purchased at home.

Used to always love Con Houlihan's much missed articles on the back of the Evening Press. I remember he once wrote:

"John Sheridan worked like a Beaver and tackled like a tiger. PS - I have seen neither of these animals play football".

Another gem was how Con described how Jack Charlton tended to struggle with players names. Con wrote that Jack Charlton had once referred to his first choice goalkeeper as "Bonny Packer".

You just don't get that quality anymore.

Donal81
27/11/2006, 8:29 PM
Bit of an exception here as work requires me to read most papers, including the local ones...If I had to choose, I'd go for the Irish Times, attention to detail from a sporting and political point of view is excellent. It can be foolishly stuffy a lot of the time, though, it should take its lead from some English and US newspapers who mix decent journalism with a sense of craic.

The Herald is a rag and if anyone on here who buys it actually experienced the Evening Herald newsroom, you'd change your mind fairly quickly.

The Star has its moments but is ultimately just another red-top rag. This is all subjective, obviously, but tabloids aren't newspapers, as far as I'm concerned. That's not snobbery, just an opinion, I don't think they're sold for their news content.

Billsthoughts
28/11/2006, 11:38 AM
. I've worked in more newsrooms than I care to remember, .

If you actually have some "insider" knowledge of the industry spit it out and dont hint at what was probably just a tea boy role...:)
personally I just buy the herald for the star signs...I think Fergus Gibson is probably one of the best journalists around at the moment...

Wolfie
28/11/2006, 1:01 PM
That's what's required........Fergus Gibson on Ireland's future qualifiers..

"I see a stadium in Drumcondra.......wait..wait......the oppositions centre forward is haring down on Irelands goal........yes! he's Cypriot.......he's on a hat-trick"

Den Perry
30/11/2006, 8:39 PM
That's what's required........Fergus Gibson on Ireland's future qualifiers..

"I see a stadium in Drumcondra.......wait..wait......the oppositions centre forward is haring down on Irelands goal........yes! he's Cypriot.......he's on a hat-trick"

Ha!good one

Den Perry
30/11/2006, 8:45 PM
Same here - the Indo was the always purchased at home.

Used to always love Con Houlihan's much missed articles on the back of the Evening Press. I remember he once wrote:

"John Sheridan worked like a Beaver and tackled like a tiger. PS - I have seen neither of these animals play football".

Another gem was how Con described how Jack Charlton tended to struggle with players names. Con wrote that Jack Charlton had once referred to his first choice goalkeeper as "Bonny Packer".

You just don't get that quality anymore.

on a daily basis I'd vary from Sun to Indo to times to STar. On sat I buy Racing post, the Sun and the Financial Times weekender (foot ball coverage isn't great)

And the on the Sabbath I read nes of world (gives better match reports than any other), Indo (I like fanning and Declan Lynch) Times and of Course the Sunday World so I can see what that Fool has to write